Page 26 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast

Thread: Submission & General Commentary Thread

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    Could I make a suggestion on changing how the submission threads work?

Currently submission threads only go on to the voting phase if three submissions have been made.
    I'd like to suggest that this rule remain for the first week, but if there are still only 2 submissions made by the second week, the vote goes ahead.
    Obviously if there are no submissions or only one, the submissions thread stays open.

I understand sometimes you have no time to commit, or you can't think up a cool type of screenshot to take so I'm not criticising anyone, but it's been 3 and a half weeks since the last GPOTW vote.
    Well... I can understand your feeling. I can put it to Vote-stage on next week if there is still 2 submissions only, but I recommend to have at least 3 submission to have some competition between submissions.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

What game did you use for this week's GPOTW Noif? It looks like a strategy or city builder such as Tropico.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    What game did you use for this week's GPOTW Noif? It looks like a strategy or city builder such as Tropico.
    Wrong answer!

It is from "World of Warships" on dock view.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

I've a crazy proposal: I would like to read just a short comment about the shots I'm watching, something like: "Mediterranean Sea, 120 BC, Roma Invicta!" or ".. and they fled, leaving on the fields among the others even the unburied corpse of Hope.", or "In this way Wotan answers to his children!", or "Takeda Shingen, exactly in that moment realized that all was lost but the honour of the clan was safe." or ".. 'For Sigmar' it's not just a slogan, scumbags!".. and many more, the examples are infinte as infinite is your fantasy guys, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    I've a crazy proposal: I would like to read just a short comment about the shots I'm watching, something like: "Mediterranean Sea, 120 BC, Roma Invicta!" or ".. and they fled, leaving on the fields among the others even the unburied corpse of Hope.", or "In this way Wotan answers to his children!", or "Takeda Shingen, exactly in that moment realized that all was lost but the honour of the clan was safe." or ".. 'For Sigmar' it's not just a slogan, scumbags!".. and many more, the examples are infinte as infinite is your fantasy guys, what do you think?
    I'd support that, it'd add a little something to the screenshots. It'd kind of be like a mix of Tales of the Week and Picture of the Week. It wouldn't add much extra work, and it could just be optional.

Default Re: GPOTW 43 - Submissions

Hi I do not know if I can post my pictures here.
    Or if there is a special category attila or rome?
    Salut je ne sais pas si je peux poster mes photos ici.
    Ou si il ya une categorie special attila ou rome?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: GPOTW 43 - Submissions

Hi juancfp, I'm the person who suggested you visit this place in the rep message.
    Basically, you should use this thread for general questions but I'll explain how it works. There are four competitions here, each with their own rules.

Game Picture of the Week (This one). You can post an edited, or unedited screenshot from any game so long as it ISN'T Total War. I've posted a screenshot from The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt whilst Diocle has used Dawn of War 1.
    Picture of the Week - You can post an edited screenshot from any Total War game. This is where you would post that screenshot.
    Unedited Screenshot of the Week - You can post an unedited screenshot from any Total War game.
    Video of the Month - You can post a video you've made using gameplay from the campaign or battles of any Total War game. You can use any mods such as graphical mods or unit mods that you want.

By "edited" we mean if you've used graphical mods (such as GemFX, Reshade or SweetFX) or you've edited the screenshot in Photoshop afterwards. Unit mods do not count as "edited", so you can use Medieval Kingdoms or Third Age Total War in the Unedited competition.

The competitions typically last for a week, unless there aren't 3 submissions in which case they'll keep on going until there are.
    Here are the voting pages for last week's competition. You can't vote for yourself, but since you're new here that doesn't matter this week.
    GPOTW - You can vote for 1 person
    POTW - You may vote for a maximum of 3 people this week
    UESW - You can vote for 1 person

You get a different award depending on how many times you won.
    Having 3 to 8 wins gets you this
    Having 8 to 14 wins gets you this
    Having 15 or more wins gets you this

You can also get these awards for winning the Video of the Month competition.

Noif is in charge of these awards, and he'll probably move both these comments to the Discussion board. Anyways, hopefully you'll have fun, your screenshots are really good.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; May 23, 2017 at 01:41 AM.

Content Emeritus

Moved both comments here

@Juancfp
    1st: Welcome to Picture of the week - section.
    2nd: Don't make any posting to "Submissions" threads. This "Submission and General Commentary" thread is for question asking etc... (for future advice)

Voting is typically like this

3 submissions - 1 vote
    4 - 5 submissions - 2 votes
    6+ submissions - 3 votes

- Own submission voting is totally forbidden
    - Giving more votes than rules says is also forbidden
    - Reading rules is highly recommend to read before voting to avoid sanctions.

and little clearing to

3 POTW/GPOTW wins - bronze medal
    9 POTW/GPOTW wins - Silver medal (Caligula missed on 1)
    15 POTW/GPOTW wins - Gold medal

VOTM competition have also same winning requests to get those VOTM medals.

Quote Originally Posted by juancfp View Post
    Hi I do not know if I can post my pictures here.
    Or if there is a special category attila or rome?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    All TW relative pictures can be posted in POTW (For Edited section) or UESW (Unedited versions). In this case, this picture can attend to POTW submission. If you haven't done any extra editing like photoshopping etc.. you can post like this, but otherwise it require to have original picture from edited picture. I highly recommend to look into "Archive" sub-forum and look to old submissions threads how we veterans are done.
    Last edited by Noif de Bodemloze; May 23, 2017 at 10:32 AM.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Any progress on notions about sorting out the ridiculous state of voting? In recent weeks I've alternated between posting and voting as well as only posting in one section and voting in others. Instead of my vote adding to the few who previously participated it seems voting numbers have actually further reduced. C'mon, six entries and only 4 voters is just unsustainable. I still maintain that this small voting pool is skewing results - there is one particular mod here wherein screen-shots originating in that mod always score well and frequently win. Is this some sort of rigging - of course not, all it needs under current conditions is one fan of that mod to vote and the result is unduly influenced.

Serious thought needs to be given to a permanent jury of 13 citizen level members, perhaps even moderators, to vote on each category every week. I know this doesn't completely rule out preference bias but it does statistically dramatically improve the competitive potential of each entry.

I post this now as my entry in the past week wasn't a serious attempt - so no sour grapes over no votes - but the previous week, my shot of the 2 samurai bowmen caught by a ninja grenade.... that was a good shot, and not a single vote showed any appreciation for it. I don't need or seek the affirmation of others as to whether or not my screenshots have merit and participate for the sake of community involvement, but it does rankle when I burn a good picture (am I correct in presuming I can only post each image once?) for no return it all.

I blame no-one, it really is just a numbers issue - but it is an issue that really needs to be addressed.

My interest and motivation to find the time to be involved each week is waning.

I agree with Spear Dog. We need to either include a permanent jury, OR make it a rule that if you submit a picture you HAVE to use all of the votes available or your submission is invalid at the end of the week.
    I haven't been voting in a few because other submitters haven't been voting, and therefore if I vote I'm just decreasing my chances of winning really.

Would the permanent jury be the only ones who can vote, or would regular players also be able to vote? I don't think we should exclude regular players (and the people who submitted the pictures) from having their say. Instead the jury should just mean that a lot more votes are cast.

If a rule were implemented that all submitters HAD to use all the votes at their disposal, it could reasonably be ignored for tie-breaks between just two pictures, including your own, because you'd just be cancelling each other's votes out, and there's no point. If it were a tiebreak between three or more pictures, you'd have to vote for one of them (or however many votes you could give).

Edit: I assume you mean me with Rise of Mordor btw? I'll switch up my style and try out Napoleon or Empire both for a change personally, and for a change in the competitions.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; June 04, 2017 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear Dog View Post
    Any progress on notions about sorting out the ridiculous state of voting? In recent weeks I've alternated between posting and voting as well as only posting in one section and voting in others. Instead of my vote adding to the few who previously participated it seems voting numbers have actually further reduced. C'mon, six entries and only 4 voters is just unsustainable. I still maintain that this small voting pool is skewing results - there is one particular mod here wherein screen-shots originating in that mod always score well and frequently win. Is this some sort of rigging - of course not, all it needs under current conditions is one fan of that mod to vote and the result is unduly influenced.

Serious thought needs to be given to a permanent jury of 13 citizen level members, perhaps even moderators, to vote on each category every week. I know this doesn't completely rule out preference bias but it does statistically dramatically improve the competitive potential of each entry.

I post this now as my entry in the past week wasn't a serious attempt - so no sour grapes over no votes - but the previous week, my shot of the 2 samurai bowmen caught by a ninja grenade.... that was a good shot, and not a single vote showed any appreciation for it. I don't need or seek the affirmation of others as to whether or not my screenshots have merit and participate for the sake of community involvement, but it does rankle when I burn a good picture (am I correct in presuming I can only post each image once?) for no return it all.

I blame no-one, it really is just a numbers issue - but it is an issue that really needs to be addressed.

My interest and motivation to find the time to be involved each week is waning.
    What you say happened to me many times, I still remember with great pain many extremely good screens brunt by lack of votes.

Nevertheless, sorry but this thing of Moderators & citizens' jury seems to me without any basis and even pretty dangerous, it could even increase the already (very) high rate of nepotism on TWC! The jury in fact would choose inside the same group of their sichophants, so that also these competitions would be reserved to a restrict elte of users and minions, in this case I'd leave immediatly the competitions, of course (so, if you want eliminate Diocle, guys, now you know what to do ).

IMO we should increase advertisements, communication and public relations of these competitions, I don't see any other way to increase votes.

Diocle, what are your thoughts on my suggestion of forcing people who submit images to use up all their votes? That'd increase votes.
    Advertising could lead to more people who support just one mod, such as Rise of Mordor however. I don't really think we should ban unit mods from submissions though.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    what are your thoughts on my suggestion of forcing people who submit images to use up all their votes? That'd increase votes.
    I think this is a good idea.

Diocle, what are your thoughts on my suggestion of forcing people who submit images to use up all their votes? That'd increase votes.
    Advertising could lead to more people who support just one mod, such as Rise of Mordor however. I don't really think we should ban unit mods from submissions though.
    Do you mean that when I post a screen I'm forced to vote and to use all my votes? I fully agree with your proposal.

I confess that, from the beginning of my partecipation in these competitions, I've chosen to abstain from voting when some of my works were in the competition, because, I felt that it would be very complex for any football palyer, being also the referee in the same football match to which he is taking part but, .. if forced by this new rule, I will adapt to the new course without any problem by my part.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

At end it's a syntethic way to increase votes. Attract more voters is the only substantial way to do it.
    And, as I said before and then met with baffling disinterest if not aversion, hehe, one of the most efficient and easiest ways to attract attention in the community of TWC is to make people drop a post when they vote. That way all their befriended contacts have the chance to see that, be interested in the thread and participate themselves. And if they in turn post "Voted", they provide a chance to all their befriended contacts to become aware.
    I never visits the "Library and Creative Workshop" forums on my own, I'm not attracted to it, but I vote in POTW both now and then. How come? Because Araval posting that he voted makes me aware there's a competition ongoing, peaking interest and have me drop by.
    This is how the community to a far extent operates. "My friend is [or better up: "friends are"] active there? Let's have a look..."

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Ohhh so that's why people always say "Voted". I just figured it was a form of semi posting lols...

The GPOTW category could use some love. It's the only category I actually win, so I need someone to submit something that I can absolutely crush with my Witcher 3 pics.

Noif, before leaving for your holidays (Good holidays!): may you be so kind to give me the Rep points I'm awaiting for a week now? Thanks.

Noif, I've got two questions/suggestions about the Video of the Month competition. It's a very selective competition really, since not many people have the skills required to create good gameplay videos (I'd be atrocious if I attempted it) and this has led to the current competition having run for 4 months.

1 - Should we try advertising the VOTM Competition, eg with a front page announcement or something?

2 - Should we allow people to submit videos made by other people? The original creator would receive the points/rep of course, and they've have to have a TWCenter account. It'd be a bit weird I guess, especially if the actual creators of the content are inactive on TWCenter. Rule 3 of the VOTM Specific Rules does state that this is permissible
    If you did not take the original, you must give credit to the source.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; June 12, 2017 at 06:33 AM.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Noif, before leaving for your holidays (Good holidays!): may you be so kind to give me the Rep points I'm awaiting for a week now? Thanks.
    It will come in time, just people like me are been busy these summer time. I've posted last week and this week winners now, so reps come soon when Admins will see my post.

Noif, I've got two questions/suggestions about the Video of the Month competition. It's a very selective competition really, since not many people have the skills required to create good gameplay videos (I'd be atrocious if I attempted it) and this has led to the current competition having run for 4 months.

1 - Should we try advertising the VOTM Competition, eg with a front page announcement or something?

2 - Should we allow people to submit videos made by other people? The original creator would receive the points/rep of course, and they've have to have a TWCenter account. It'd be a bit weird I guess, especially if the actual creators of the content are inactive on TWCenter. Rule 3 of the VOTM Specific Rules does state that this is permissible
    1. It is been tried, but so far ... there aren't been active or people, who want to do video stuffs or even show interested to video competition.

2. Hard to say anything for this (Cuz never faced this kind of situation before). Most video creators know this section, but It is only about motivation of video creators to post them here. If they don't want post their videos to VOTM, we can't force them to do so. I know that right now it is very difficult to find talented video creators, who want to make. If you see or meet someone person, who can make good video. You can advertise this section.
    Last edited by Noif de Bodemloze; June 12, 2017 at 12:29 PM.