Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526274267 ... LastLast

Thread: Submission & General Commentary Thread

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Submission Commentary Thread

A bit of miscommunication between me and Noif. My PC has finaly come to the end of it's day, and keeping a few tabs simultaneously open on a browser freezes the hole thing, but luckily my new machine should arrive within a few days. I'm just waiting for the delivery.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

spiderknight's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    A bit of miscommunication between me and Noif. My PC has finaly come to the end of it's day, and keeping a few tabs simultaneously open on a browser freezes the hole thing, but luckily my new machine should arrive within a few days. I'm just waiting for the delivery.
    Ah ya good to hear...congrats on the new computer.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Sorry man, I have finished my moving to my new home and I wasn't able to get my internet to my new home for a weekend and I lived like 3 days without an internet and it drove me insane. I had very boring weekend. Damn "Sonera" is bit slow to deliver a new internet module, but I hope that I will get it today so I can get back to here ASAP.
    Last edited by Noif de Bodemloze; October 04, 2015 at 11:50 PM.

Content Emeritus

POTW and UESW threads are now updates! It's time add your submissions and go to vote!

Noif de Bodemloze

Quote Originally Posted by Noif de Bodemloze View Post
    POTW and UESW threads are now updates! It's time add your submissions and go to vote!

Noif de Bodemloze
    Thanks Noif.

Content Emeritus

POTW and UESW Submission threads deadline will be extended to next week Monday so we need more submissions to launch next round!

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Noif, if needed I could add some new screens to the ones I already posted .. I love so much being helpful!

one day's Avatar Semisalis

The competition falls to stereotype, interest of community is minimal, number of voters is a little above zero..
    Maybe last time for some marginal changes to keep it alive.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by one day View Post
    The competition falls to stereotype, interest of community is minimal, number of voters is a little above zero..
    Maybe last time for some marginal changes to keep it alive.
    I wouldnt be that negative about it; I just think some more advertising is needed. People love to post screenshots, they just dont often know about the actual screenshot competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    I wouldnt be that negative about it; I just think some more advertising is needed. People love to post screenshots, they just dont often know about the actual screenshot competitions.
    Agreed. Few people know what's ongoing here, also I think people loves taking screens and watching screens, sadly if they are not informed they can't find this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Agreed. Few people know what's ongoing here, also I think people loves taking screens and watching screens, sadly if they are not informed they can't find this place.
    Perhaps a frontpage announcement....or we could make random announcements in the screenshot sections of all the most popular mods/forums?

Agreed: weekly front page announcements could be a good starting point, then as you said, some form of advertisment on the various forums could be very interesting.

Perhaps launching some new yearly/montly competition like "The best screen of your TW life" or some thematic contest for focalized games, announced in their specific threads about "Rome 2, Attila, Shogun, RTW, Kingdoms and so on .. maybe every 2 or three months .., maybe even some new competition as: "A battle told in 5 (or more) screenshots" in which you could make a visual After Battle Report (even multiplayer of course) about your more exciting battle, a story told strictly using only screens and no (or very few) text, soemething as a comic with no texts just images.

All in all I don't know exactly what to suggest, what I know it's that POW and UESW need more visibility.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

what I know it's that POW and UESW need more visibility.
    And more voters! The number of people who vote is not much better than the number who submit (I think my own vote has knocked me out of the running on a couple of occasions ). Perhaps the advertising doesn't need to be much more than a reminder to vote in the POTW and UESW in the forums index sidebar.

As personal home-rule, I try to avoid voting in the competitions in which it's present some of my work, because, if I take part to the competition, it's for I think my screen is in some way good, but I can't vote for it, so, sorry but, I consider voting for somebody's else work, at least as a form of Masochistic perversion, then I consider this 'voting from inside' in some way influencing the competition itself in which I'm involved, so I prefer to abstain from voting.

Anyway yeah, I agree: more news on the sidebar, but even something on the TWC Home Page, why not?

Conclamatus's Avatar Ordinarius

Hi guys! Long time no see! Sorry for my inactivity, college and stuffs. Finally, I am able to settle down.
    I have a few (two, I'm being fancy here ) suggestions. Firstly, in my opinion, we should include a thread or 2 in the main forums (i.e Attila, Rome 2, Shogun 2, etc.) announcing weekly POTW & UESW winner(s) to at least make people aware that these competitions exist, and some may even take an interest in joining.
    Secondly, I have noticed that many other games have the potential to join in competitions like those we are having, such as World of Tanks, War Thunder, the Battlefield franchise, Skyrim, Fallout, etc., if we can host more non-Total-war competitions, or even irregularly changing format to a kind of FFA (with advertisements and announcements, of course), I think we can have a great chance to attract more people to this corner of the forums.

Sorry for my bad English

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

something on the TWC Home Page, why not?
    I very rarely go to the home page, I load TWC from history or favourites and come straight to the Forums - not sure how common this is but I reckon it's probably typical of regular users and registered members.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

I agree that communication is a major issue here.
    But I'm not sure that front page announcement is a panacea.

Could it be possible to add a "competitions" link area like the ones for CMS articles, New Blogs, etc. :

Such area could be use :

• to post "miniature" of PotW, UeSW and other graphic competitions
    • to post link to each competition thread : "PotW submission", "UeSW Submission", etc.

I'm also not sure that increasing the number of "event", such as thematic competition would help.
    The problem, I think, is the lack of visibility, not diversity.
    Moreover, if the problem is already to find more competitors when competition is open to all TW titles, the problem could be worse if competition is limited to specific theme or TW titles.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Content Emeritus

Hello all

I have read your feedback about how should we improve our POTW and UESW contest. Many ideas sound are good, but I understand people who have IRL busy like I have my the university of applied science study ongoing, but right now I have still enough time to spend here in TWC and POTW-UESW section.

I like Wangrin's idea that move our POTW-UESW section to TWC Contest section and make some new competition too. I remember also here was talked about Non-TW POTW and UESW contest. I also advertised this POTW and UESW on Facebook and tomorrow I will do it again if we can catch new members here. I have seen a lot nice screenshots from TW games in TWC facebook fan groups, but weird those guys ain't here. Me and Finlander will try discuss and think some opinions, how we should improve this section to get more voters and contenders.

I will start a new round of POTW and UESW at Monday, when I have wake up.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

I agree that the lack of participation is a problem and that the competition could be made more visible to the users of TWC. There have been talk about projects involving the Artists’ Studio in general, such as resurrecting the old Illustrator publication and writing up a blog on CMS about the ins and outs of TWC arts, which the POTW section could certainly benefit from. As Noif pointed out, autumn is naturally busy time for everyone, including the staff at hand, and I’m not sure if there was manpower to make it happen. I will try to ask around and see if there are still plans for it. If somebody wants to volunteer for the job, feel free to send me or a Content Hex a PM.

Ever since moving the Graphics’ Competitions to the TWC competition subforum, I have kind of seen that this section might need to adjust to the change as well at some point in time as it is not very convenient for the users to navigate through competitions located at very different locations. The very least we could do is link up the two sections together. As for completely moving up the screenshot competitions there, I need to discuss it with y2day and the other Content Admins first.

Meanwhile I intend to reduce the amount of sticky threads which has come to a level it is getting very distracting to read through the subforum. it is not that much designed for luring new members but to make the place a bit friendlier for the users and increase convenience - and please my own eyes ofc.

Thanks for the input guys! All suggestions and opinions are always the most welcome.
    Last edited by Finlander; October 18, 2015 at 06:36 AM.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Well, advertising could certainly help, but I'd focus more on the specific threads than the front page. For example, the Stainless Steel, EB2, R2 and Attila videos&pictures thread include some excellent material for the pictures competitions, especially in times when the mod or the new TW game has been recently released. Then, perhaps the awards could also be modified, to make it more attractive to new members. I'm thinking of more short-term awards than the medals, like giving 5 reputation points to the winner and one to every participant, regardless of his image's success. Finally, a more thematic atmosphere could also be proven beneficial. For example, you take historical generals as the theme of 2016. For January, your theme is French generals of the Napoleonic era, with each week focusing on a specific general. e.g. In the 1st week, the best screenshot will win the Oudinot competition and in the end of the month, the four winning screenshots will compete for the... Davout award. Then, there'll be the classic yearly competion named after one of the most famous generals, like Napoleon or Hannibal.