Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 328434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1350

Thread: Submission & General Commentary Thread

Alexander78's Avatar Campidoctor
    Civitate Content Emeritus

Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    Something like this, general deaths were cut scenes in RTW and MTW2 ..
    I understood that. My question was as follows: did you propose to supplement the theme proposed by Athelstan "old school" in this way, or do you propose a separate theme for POTW 600 and screens with "deathgrab" can be made not only from "old school" games ? I ask such detailed questions and clarify everything for a reason. I will need to formulate specific proposals and sum up everything that will be offered here. Therefore, I would like to avoid mistakes and misunderstandings.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander78 View Post
    I understood that. My question was as follows: did you propose to supplement the theme proposed by Athelstan "old school" in this way, or do you propose a separate theme for POTW 600 and screens with "deathgrab" can be made not only from "old school" games ? I ask such detailed questions and clarify everything for a reason. I will need to formulate specific proposals and sum up everything that will be offered here. Therefore, I would like to avoid mistakes and misunderstandings.
    Well, this was just a suggestion for a theme. Seems very similar to the "Duel" idea where one combatant is delivering a deathblow or attack, etc. Could be combined with other ideas, so, yes and no.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    Well, this was just a suggestion for a theme. Seems very similar to the "Duel" idea where one combatant is delivering a deathblow or attack, etc. Could be combined with other ideas, so, yes and no.
    Got it.

Tomorrow, if everything goes well, I will try to sum up some of the results and briefly formulate all the proposals and put them out for discussion in order to come to a final result. We will have 2 days to deal with all this because the current voting in contests ends on April 11. Therefore, I would like to ask you guys, after I post the preliminary results, to be active in the discussion so that I can start my work without delay. Although, I think some delays are possible. We'll see.

So, I tried to sum up the preliminary results of our discussion. And I got the following results.

Point 1. About thematic contests in general. We are not against thematic contests, but following the proposed theme should not be mandatory and should be on a voluntary basis. Participants can place screens off-theme, even if the contest is themed. On the other hand, the participant who places the screen on the proposed theme and wins the competition, then he receives a additional point (or a double rep or all it together?). For anniversary contests, a double award for the winner is accepted in any case, regardless of whether this screen was themed or not, since the anniversary competition involves this award system in any case.

Point 2. About the anniversary POTW 600. Two themes were suggested for the anniversary contest: Athelstan's "old school" and Van Zandt's "deathgrab". We need to choose what we want to see: the Athelstan theme or the Van Zandt theme, but maybe we don't mind combining these two themes together and placing screens with "deathgrab" from "old school" games. In any case, the chosen theme will be optional and the submission of screens for the anniversary contest will be held within two weeks and it is desirable that the news about POTW 600 is posted on the main page of the site (This is already in progress). This is done in order to attract as many participants as possible and to have more time to prepare, these measures are only applied for anniversary competitions.

Point 3. About GPOTW. It would be nice if from time to time some theme was thrown into this contest. As previously written, this theme would be optional, but it would diversify the competition and make it more interesting. The issue of holding a mandatory thematic GPOTW competition is removed from the agenda and discussion.

EDIT 1 How I see it. The theme for regular thematic contests will be placed in the title, for example GPOTW 160 submissions (Theme "kill them all"), explanations for the theme will be published in this comments thread, for example: "the theme GPOTW 160 must includes all types of mass destruction of game opponents, including aquarium fish". If a participant places a screen on a theme, they should make a corresponding mark under their screen, for example, the word " thematic" (It would make my job a lot easier).

EDIT 2 Any screens, even on the most humorous theme should include a piece of creativity. Let's not forget what points are awarded for. This is not a compulsion, just a request.

EDIT 3 If the participant wants to give explanations to their thematic screen, this is only welcome. Explanations should be placed under the participant's screen and make up one or two sentences. This is not necessary, but only at the request of the participant (This EDIT can be applied not only to thematic screens, but also to screens placed outside the theme).

Explanation: EDIT1-3 can be applied to any theme-based competition where theme screens can be placed.

Based on the above, I suggest that you choose a theme for POTW 600 (see point 2 ), determine the reward for winning a regular theme contest: extra point or + 6 rep against usual +3 (see point 1) and express your opinion about everything else. A big request, express your opinion concisely and to the point, something like this:

point 1 - agree/disagree/award for a regular themed contest/additions,
    point 2 - agree/disagree/theme for POTW 600/ additions,
    point 3 - agree/disagree/additions,
    ... etc

If I missed something, point it out, I will be very grateful. I hope to see your feedback and please be active.
    Last edited by Alexander78; April 09, 2020 at 01:32 PM.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'll add a thought. If these themes would happen, let's say often, they could potentially spread a lot more points than competitions did before. So maybe a thematic win should give 1,5 points instead, so we wouldn't devaluate the previous 2-point wins of anniversary and of-the-year contests and previously earned awards too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    I'll add a thought. If these themes would happen, let's say often, they could potentially spread a lot more points than competitions did before. So maybe a thematic win should give 1,5 points instead, so we wouldn't devaluate the previous 2-point wins of anniversary and of-the-year contests and previously earned awards too much?
    Thanks Araval. I've been thinking about this, may be winning a regular theme-based contest will give you a double reputation, not points. Double points can only remain for anniversary competitions. We will make this decision if the majority agrees with it. I will correct my post in connection with your addition.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't think reputation matters that much because people can't see what was it given for in contrast to medals.

Btw when reputation was implemented as an award it was +5 for picture win and +10 for video win but then Caligula thought he had gained too much reputation and decreased the awards.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Seconded
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

I don't think reputation matters that much because people can't see what was it given for in contrast to medals.
    The winner in any case will receive a point for winning, which will be credited to him in the awards table and bring him closer to winning medals. Another thing is whether he should get an extra point for winning a regular theme contest or will it be enough to add him the reputation? If we set the frequency of such contests, for example, 1-2 times a month, then it makes sense to add an extra point, taking into account that the thematic screen may not win at all. Accrual of 1.5 points will complicate the work in calculating and adjusting the table of winners. It's better if it's an integer.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Btw when reputation was implemented as an award it was +5 for picture win and +10 for video win but then Caligula thought he had gained too much reputation and decreased the awards.
    I think Flinn bullied me into it. Tbh Diocle and I had like 80% of our rep purely from these competitions.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well some healthy discussion has been said. I think for the list of themes we are all in agreement.

On whether the themes should be voluntary or not, I would support a voluntary one, so as not to bar potential participants, as well as to reward those who follow the theme. The frequency of themed competitions must not be too high, in order not to disrupt the ordinary flow of the POTWs.

On the reward issue, I would prefer Araval's idea of 1.5 points reward for themed contests. 2 points to me would be a bit high, and though this can be countered by making themed contests rarer, it would not be effective at scaling as a 1.5 points reward. But Alex if you feel this is too much work, I'll stick with your idea, I'd rather lesser themed competitions than losing a great competition manager

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    I think Flinn bullied me into it. Tbh Diocle and I had like 80% of our rep purely from these competitions.
    Someone start a petition to remove 80% of their rep!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Blog Entries

And transfer it to me, I hope?
    and Peaman

Campidoctor

Point 1. About thematic contests in general.
    explanations for the theme will be published in this comments thread
    Just post them in the respective thread, not in the comments thread or anywhere else. That would only complicate things. Just make sure to put the theme in the opening post with some nice formatting, and perhaps in the title.

If a participant places a screen on a theme, they should make a corresponding mark under their screen, for example, the word " thematic" (It would make my job a lot easier).
    There's a risk - the risk that people might forget it or simply do not do it because "it is self-explanatory that their image is a themed one". Not much one can do here except to test it out, I guess. In the end the competitions are largely formed by the participants themselves.

Point 2. About the anniversary POTW 600.
    Fits.

Point 3. About GPOTW.
    Fits.

Thanks Araval. I've been thinking about this, may be winning a regular theme-based contest will give you a double reputation, not points. Double points can only remain for anniversary competitions. We will make this decision if the majority agrees with it. I will correct my post in connection with your addition.
    I have to repeat, most people will have no need for a price at all. I know of at least two people who wouldn't give a fling about it, including me. Of course it would still be a nice bonus to include something. Afaik there are three options:
    • Just some extra +rep
    • An extra point (altough this would be unfair to past winners because it will be much easier to earn gold, and once you have it, there's nothing more to earn)
    • Make it an own achievement. Fortunately there is a kind participant, who already provided some badges in advance. I take the liberty of posting them:
      Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Accrual of 1.5 points will complicate the work in calculating and adjusting the table of winners. It's better if it's an integer.
    Keep it simple. +1, or nothing. No crazy mathematics required. Sometimes it is best to keep it that way.

Thanks for the great feedback, Derc!
    Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    Just post them in the respective thread, not in the comments thread or anywhere else. That would only complicate things.
    It makes sense. At least I hope we'll have a couple of trial contests and I can polish everything up.
    There's a risk - the risk that people might forget it or simply do not do it because "it is self-explanatory that their image is a themed one". Not much one can do here except to test it out, I guess. In the end the competitions are largely formed by the participants themselves.
    Then there is a risk that such a participant may not receive an additional point. I will try to remind you to mark your screens but sometimes I just don't have enough time to do it. Everything should be based on mutual respect. I respect you as a participant, appreciate your contribution to the competition, listen to your opinion, and you will all help me very much in my work, including the fact that you will mark thematic screens It's simple.
    Keep it simple. +1
    This is also logical. My opinion is that if a participant publishes a theme screen, they do a lot more work. than a participant publishing a normal screen. Plus, the theme screen should overcome competition with other screens. I do not think that this will offend anyone, because it is a logical motivation and reward for participant for his creativity and the desire to follow the theme.

So, there is almost no time for discussion, those who wanted to speak out have spoken out. I submit the following suggestions for Hex's consideration:

1 The theme for POTW 600 is" old school", which was suggested by Athelstan. Van Zandt's "deathgrab" proposal is just great, but if we combine the two themes together, it would significantly restrict the participants freedom of action. I think "deathgrab" could be the subject of one of POTW's regular themes, why not. The POTW 600 theme is not mandatory for participants, participants can publish screens in a non-suggested theme. News about the anniversary contest will be posted on the main page of the site. Screens can be placed within two weeks.

2 Conducting regular thematic competitions. Regular thematic contests will be held at the discretion of the competition organizers, but no more than 2 times a month. If a participant places a theme screen and wins a theme contest, they will be rewarded with an additional point. The contest themes are not mandatory for participants to follow the proposed theme or not, each participant decides for himself. The participant who places thematic screen marks it with the "thematic". If a participant wants to give explanations to their thematic screen, this is only welcome. Explanations should preferably fit in one or two sentences, this recommendation* is done in order not to make the screen contest in the contest of the tales.
    * I replaced the word "restriction" with the word "recommendation". I think it's better this way.

That's all for now. Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion. You are all worthy of respect, please accept my gratitude.
    Last edited by Alexander78; April 11, 2020 at 03:13 AM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Just keeping everyone up to date: Alexander78 has passed on all your suggestions, and they are currently being discussed within Content Staff. No decisions have yet been made, but Alexander78 will let you know once there are final plans, both about PotW 600, and about themed competitions in general.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Thanks for the hard work

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Blog Entries

Very nice work Alex, you're doing a great job
    and Peaman

Thanks everyone.

I must inform you that Hex has approved our proposals to host the POTW 600. Other issues are still under discussion. Taking into account the fact that Hex is doing a lot of work, this may take some time.

I made a post in the thread POTW 600, where I pointed out the main points of the contest. If someone does not like the overall style, do not hesitate to contact. We can always change the color, tilt, and font size. Nothing impossible.

Blog Entries

Looking good Alex, nice work!
    and Peaman

Thanks KA.

I must inform that I will not be able to prepare the results of the competitions tomorrow, as I will be absent. I will try to deal with this on April 21. I apologize for the delay.