29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 86.21%
  • Maybe

3 10.34%
  • No

1 3.45%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basic Warscape Modding (ETW, NTW, S2)

Shea O'Gorath's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Basic Warscape Modding (ETW, NTW, S2)

Judgeing by how movies go down I reckon you now have to kill bethencourt in a duel. Pistols at dawn. Else you cannot become the teacher.

No offence Bethencourt. Pleasure to meet you

I have returned

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Gun fight at the O.K Koral

Wow Brewster you havnt be on here much longer than me. How old are you if you dont mind me askin

I have returned

Blog Entries

I'm from the time Afghanistan was independent (before Russia invaded), the soviet union had no crack and stil was a super power. The Internet wasn't known about and armies where still large. Reagan wasn't president, For a long time.

That's around the time I was born

Excepting my work I'm a rather private person hope you don't mind

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mc View Post
    Judgeing by how movies go down I reckon you now have to kill bethencourt in a duel. Pistols at dawn. Else you cannot become the teacher.

No offence Bethencourt. Pleasure to meet you
    Young Padawan, the Masters use the lightsabers.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; January 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Yeah I'm up for this one too - particularly with such sick modders teaching . It's ideal actually as I'm trying to get up to speed for Rome II modding at the moment. I own all the aforementioned TW games. I've a background modding the Source engine here and there, but I've never really modded a TW game other than a few very minor tweaks for myself in MedII. So I'm a noob tbh!

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    Young Padawan, the Masters use the lightsabers.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent-Q View Post
    Yeah I'm up for this one too - particularly with such sick modders teaching . It's ideal actually as I'm trying to get up to speed for Rome II modding at the moment. I own all the aforementioned TW games. I've a background modding the Source engine here and there, but I've never really modded a TW game other than a few very minor tweaks for myself in MedII. So I'm a noob tbh!

Me you shall have, my master is currently considering his time balance. The force is growing old in him I fear

Great to have you on Q! It's an honor

Woah this is becoming high end stuff.

I have returned

For those that do not know, warscape is the engine of the TW games from Empire on, so Empire, Napoleon, Shogun, and Rome II. So warscape games have a common base so learning the basics of modding opens you the door to mod any of them. Just to say that since Empire the complexity of the games have increased and the limits of the modding too, so we can expect that modding Rome II will be more "difficult".

One question, what are you interested on modding? in other words, when playing what do you feel you would change first?

Do you reckon it will be much different with this heavily modified warscape engine?

And really anything I can. I like being able to change little things as they come up like allowing all clans access to the Sengoku Jidai units

I have returned

Rome II? Well we will have to see, but warscape games, in what db tables ( stats) changes is about, are very similar. They are different about models and creating new units.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; February 01, 2013 at 10:47 AM.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

I don't see what you can 'teach' that can't already be explained in a paragraph of writing to be honest.

Me and Topcat started one of these before, 'basics of warscape modding' things, we went through all the steps, talked to GED, got access to the University private forum, started writing the classes and then realised all you can write about are a few basic steps, after that you can't teach anybody anything because whatever they want to do has very specific steps towards what they want to do.

I mean you can tell them the very few steps to create a pack, and have that pack contain db files or other files they want to mod because every mod has these steps and so this is something you can actually teach, but after that its totally up to them what they do.

If you want to teach certain aspects of modding like how to make a new unit, thats entirely pointless as there are already many large tutorials that show these things and in a great amount of detail, you would only be reiterating this information or reiterating it in a capacity less than there already exists.
    Last edited by .Mitch.; February 02, 2013 at 01:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Benthencourt and I more or less agreed we'd be learning basics of DB and startpos.

I'm not going to teach only about one table..

.Mitch. is crushing our dreams of learning because their precious rugby team was beaten by the glorious Ireland today.

I have returned

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mc View Post
    .Mitch. is crushing our dreams of learning because their precious rugby team was beaten by the glorious Ireland today.
    Low blow man..

Maybe we can reach a truce by grounding england into the dirt

I have returned

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    I don't see what you can 'teach' that can't already be explained in a paragraph of writing to be honest.

Me and Topcat started one of these before, 'basics of warscape modding' things, we went through all the steps, talked to GED, got access to the University private forum, started writing the classes and then realised all you can write about are a few basic steps, after that you can't teach anybody anything because whatever they want to do has very specific steps towards what they want to do.

I mean you can tell them the very few steps to create a pack, and have that pack contain db files or other files they want to mod because every mod has these steps and so this is something you can actually teach, but after that its totally up to them what they do.

If you want to teach certain aspects of modding like how to make a new unit, thats entirely pointless as there are already many large tutorials that show these things and in a great amount of detail, you would only be reiterating this information or reiterating it in a capacity less than there already exists.
    Of course there are tutorials, and the logical way of doing this is refering to them so the pupils can read them, propose some exercises, answer doubts and so. What ordinary classes are about. And the aim is to learn basics. Mostly how to create a mod pack, some basic concepts of unit, some files relations in db, some files relations in db and startpos, how to change startpos refering to the tutorial of husserl. what is an hybrid startpos file. It is really a guide about basic concepts. So they can learn faster than going thoughout the workshop forum.

Vađarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

I have actually thought about getting into this. I would be interested.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] ţví ađ međ lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi međ ólögum eyđa.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

We grow!!!!

I have returned

Blog Entries

Alright then I'll start getting this down on paper and we'll go from there

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast