Thread: From the creators of 300 comes a brand new comic: 329! [Issue #1 Out Now!]

DDWingate's Avatar Civis

Icon8 From the creators of 300 comes a brand new comic: 329! [Issue #1 Out Now!]

Warning: Contains Graphic Violence

As unfortunate as it may seem, I had to do this - it was a passion project of mine. Hopefully one day I can issue a public statement saying I didn't mean to offend anyone and that this was strictly entertainment, therefore it shouldn't offend anyone (because it is entertainment, so it isn't/can't be offensive), and if you are offended by it, I can't be held accountable, nor can I be expected to think/reflect upon what I wrote in an attempt to consider how it could be offensive to people of races/cultures other than my own, because it's only meant to entertain, and that's all it's meant for. I hope you find my comic book entertaining, TWC, I was entertained making it. You could almost say I was so entertained that it was offensive...

329 is a historically inspired 2013 comic book ultra-limited series written and illustrated by DDWingate with painted colors by DDWingate.
    The comic is a fictional retelling of the Battle of the Alia and the events leading up to it from the perspective of Gaius Julius. 329 was mildly inspired by the 2006 film 300, a movie that Wingate watched a few days before getting to work on 329.[1] The work will probably sometime be adapted into a film of the same name

The 329 writer DDWingate states: "The Romans were a paradoxical people. They were the biggest slave owners in central-west Italy. But at the same time, the fortunate, aristocratic Roman men had an unusual level of freedom. It's a paradox that they were a bunch of people, and in many ways were fascist, but they were the bulwark against the fall of freedom against the invading Celtic tribes. The closest comparison you can draw in terms of our own military today is to think of the Red-Caped Romans (RCR's) as being like our freedom forces. They're these almost superhuman characters with a tremendous warrior ethic, who were arguably the best fighters in Central-West Latium east of the Tiber. I didn't want to render Rome in overly accurate terms, because ultimately I do want you to root for the Romans. I couldn't show them being quite as cruel as they were. I made them as cruel as I thought a modern audience could stand (and by todays standards, that's quite a lot)."

Explosive Page 1:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Deadly Page 2

Destructive Page 3

Rediculous page 4

Repulsive page 5

EPIC Page 6

BRUTAL Page 7

I hope you were entertained by this satire. I should mention that this was an actual battle I played of RTW Vanilla so it is technically an AAR, no matter how much Ive used artistic license to stylize, misinterpret and exaggerate things that happened in the past! - DDWingate
    Last edited by DDWingate; January 15, 2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: reminder of how violent it is

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Default Re: From the creators of 300 comes a brand new comic: 329! [Issue #1 Out Now!]

lol that was good, that was very, very entertaining.

Default Re: From the creators of 300 comes a brand new comic: 329! [Issue #1 Out Now!]

That was amazing!!!! Wowowow

Well that was different....but very, very good!
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Nice !+rep
    Last edited by Dengizich; January 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM.

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Very entertaining and nice to see something a little different!

Rep+

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

That was genuinely hilarious.

"The gauls were amased by the technology of the bow. They thought the romans used magic to unleash giant flaming bees upon them."
    ^this

I LOL'd. Nice work.