Thread: Worth getting gold edition?

Default Worth getting gold edition?

I have the standard Medieval Total War, I was just wondering if its worth getting the gold edition.

Thanks,
    Paul

Default Re: Worth getting gold edition?

Do you still play the game and like the gameplay elements? There is of course a smaller new map of the British Isles separated in around 40(?) provinces with eight new factions during the Viking Age. Including unique troops and a new building tree.

For both the Viking campaign as well as the three Grand ones you can now choose the troops starting the battle and in what order reinforcements will enter the fields. You have also a preview screen showing you a panoramic sight of the landscape before entering the battle. Maybe this can help you to select the right troops. Are there many mountains, is it winter, ...?

And there are new playable factions in the grand campaigns. But no additional ones only the already existing Aragon, Sicily and Hungary made playable. Plus approx. 30 new units (some of them only available to rebells so only due to bribing they will fight along your side). From the new factions only Hungary received two unique factional units plus other new generic ones in eastern European provinces though. Sicily and Aragon are common 'western' factions without much uniqueness. But especially Sicily was very entertaining for me, cause you have the Papal States securing your northern border and you could concentrate on ships, trade and the conquest of Mediterranean provinces via naval landings.
    Last edited by Xerrop; December 27, 2012 at 03:38 AM.

Gold Edition / VI is worth having for the engine improvements and mods alone. The new units in the main campaign are quite arguably just novelty units. The new plethora of javelin-men are IMHO useless - especially to the AI factions.

The VI campaign is good, but battles have little strategic depth or balance due to the overpowered Viking/Anglo-Saxon Huscarle units (straightforward no nonsense killing machines which can "buzz-saw" through anything that moves, including the heaviest of cavalry (such as Mounted Nobles or Bodyguard units). It can be improved however with some simple modding.

Thank you Xerrop and Teppo Ashigaru I'm going to get it
    (I would add to your reputation but i don't know how)

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

If you ask me it's worth. Also when you upgrade you will be able to save the game in pre-battle conditions. If you want do not delete your vanilla game, you can still play it with mods but definetely like Xerrop said it's worth to get it.

Trobalov's Avatar Greek Pride

The vanilla version crashes a lot, (even in XP) but ever since I got the Gold one I have much less crashing issues.

Life is like Chess, once you make a move you can't take it back.

Campidoctor

Yeah the viking invasion expansion wasn't much fun in my opinion.. I started playing as the vikings and got bored after seeing how super easy it was. Maybe the player is not really supposed to play as the vikings?
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

veljus's Avatar Miles

its a year old thread people let it die peacefully
    "They took my fries. I took their lives."

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

Yeah let's not necro-bump it.
    For me Viking Invasion was worth the single penny - assuming the Gold Edition was the only one I could get
    I won my first campaign in MTW with the Saxons in Viking invasion so I am emotionally related to it.

I remember getting the Gold Edition--first TW game I ever had. As I recall, the Vikings were easy in battles. . .but their economy was in such shambles--I don't think I ever won a campaign with them. I enjoyed Mercia.
    Son of PW