Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: FALL OF ROME: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: FALL OF ROME - IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Sure. I'd say, bring it on!
    I will post them during the weekend, I have a crazy days in work now. Also thank you for more news

Default Re: FALL OF ROME - IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

Hail Razor
    After reviewing your previews and intentions of this mod I salute your endevours and look forward to playing this mod.
    As grognard of the first IBFD for RTW your mod looks to deliver a fresh and appealing look at this captivating period of history.

Now where are those pesky MTWII disc's at?

Caudillo87's Avatar Semisalis

Good luck making all those factions, but you'll probably have better luck finding reference pics in this era then mine. Can't wait for more updates!

NekoGenijalan's Avatar Unruffled Equanimity

You wrote twice Gutans

EDIT: Those Roman factions, are they gonna have unbreakable alliances or not?

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    I will post them during the weekend, I have a crazy days in work now. Also thank you for more news
    Thanks and you're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANICUS View Post
    Hail Razor
    After reviewing your previews and intentions of this mod I salute your endevours and look forward to playing this mod.
    As grognard of the first IBFD for RTW your mod looks to deliver a fresh and appealing look at this captivating period of history.

Now where are those pesky MTWII disc's at?
    Thanks Germanicus. I hope to offer a more interesting gameplay than is possible with RTW mechanics by using scripts and other M2TW gameplay mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Caudillo87 View Post
    Good luck making all those factions, but you'll probably have better luck finding reference pics in this era then mine. Can't wait for more updates!
    Well, we all have to work in grey areas. But no doubt your era is more shrouded in clouds than mine. However that doesn't have to be a disadvantage. For example I have to work with different interpretations of things that sometimes exclude one another, and before you know it you're entangled in a (semi-/quasi-)scientific debate. Sometimes it's a challenge to make something coherent out of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by NekoGenijalan View Post
    You wrote twice Gutans

EDIT: Those Roman factions, are they gonna have unbreakable alliances or not?
    Yep, well-spotted. But that was on purpose. The Goths were at this time divided into two branches, the Tervingi and Greuthungi. So most probably they will be renamed to "Greuthungans" and "Tervingans" or something similar.

And the Roman factions most certainly WON'T have unbreakable alliances. This is a time when there were frequent civil wars between several Roman factions. That's why I have several emergent Roman factions to allow local rebellions to happen.

I'd also like to bring this to your attention:

!!! LOOKING FOR A MAPPER !!!

I'm looking for a decent and experienced mapper who knows his stuff concerning mapping and has eyes for detail. There's already a basic map ready, but it's still crude and naked and needs to be cleaned out, filled with ground types and smoothened. You only need to worry about the terrain, because the provinces and even most of the rivers have been added. Still they may need to be retouched.
    So if you think you have what it takes to create a map like that, don't hesitate and send me a message and some reference work.

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

Im currently looking for someone who could help you out with the map, have you posted a thread in the help section on the forums?

Btw i was looking over the religions, did the Romans actually call christians Catholics or just christians? I think it may be better just to name it Christianity instead of Catholic. Because during this time period I believe the Roman Empire was somewhat still a majority Pagan Empire, so im not sure the Catholic church was around at that time?

I dont know alot about the history of the Catholic church so if im wrong correct me.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Evalation View Post
    Im currently looking for someone who could help you out with the map, have you posted a thread in the help section on the forums?

Btw i was looking over the religions, did the Romans actually call christians Catholics or just christians? I think it may be better just to name it Christianity instead of Catholic. Because during this time period I believe the Roman Empire was somewhat still a majority Pagan Empire, so im not sure the Catholic church was around at that time?

I dont know alot about the history of the Catholic church so if im wrong correct me.
    Thanks! I appreciate that. I haven't posted in the help section yet, but I'll see if I can manage that tomorrow.

I have no idea how the Romans called the Christians or if they made distinction between sub-groups within the Christian religion. The word Catholicus was in use before the 4th century. Within the Christian religion there were two major groups at the time; the Christians who believed in the Holy Trinity and the official creed (Catholic/Roman Orthodox) and the Christians who didn't believe in it (Arians). There were more groups but especially in his period Christianity was divided in these two groups. In the eastern part of the empire Arianism had quite a substantial support. Ultimately several councils had to be held by church officials that concluded that the Holy Trinity is part of the true (read: official) belief and that Arianism was heresy. Arianism also became kind of synonymous for the Germanic branch of Christianity. All Germanic tribes that converted to Christianity became Arians until the Franks converted to Catholicism in the late 5th century and came to dominate the other Germanic tribes and converted them to Catholicism.
    I decided to include Arianism, because it would represent the religious unrest that was present at the time, and it would also mark a cultural/ethnic dividing line between Germanic invaders and the Roman inhabitants in case the German factions take over Roman provinces.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

During the reign of Diocletian and Maximinus, and probably even earlier, if though there where various christian sects, they where known by the specific title of Nazarenes, which can be translated as the followers of the Nazarene, who was Jesus. Later when others came out with different version of the fate, did sects get their own names as the followers of Arius did, Arians.

Cheers

Default Re: FALL OF ROME: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

Hi Razor, I´m deeply sorry for the delay. First check this blog, it´s full of artwork and infromation in Italian language:

http://soldatiromanideltardoimpero.blogspot.com

Default Re: FALL OF ROME: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

Well well, I thought I had seen pretty much every picture or artwork concerning the late Roman period, but apparently (and luckily) I was wrong! Thanks for that one tomySVK!

I´m glad you like the link, I hope it will help to develop this great project

Here is link to a Czech gallery. It contains mostly Third century soldiers, but also contains the soldiers from Late Empire:

http://legioxgpf.livinghistory.cz/ga...p?/category/30

Edit: Check also this gallery:

http://amelianvs.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Last edited by tomySVK; March 13, 2013 at 06:13 AM.

I like tihis era, perfect.

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Coming in quite late here.

Excellent work so far.

The texturing of the models looks great.
    I take it there will be wounded textures too?

Balla
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Thanks diamutene and ballacraine.

There are blood overlay textures yes. I deleted the dirt overlay textures because they looked really ugly.

Default Re: FALL OF ROME - IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (FOR - IHSV)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    And yes, there will be more shield variations. For Roman units I aim at three shield variations per unit. Though all variations will have the same or a similar shield pattern.
    Thinking about it, I have a suggestion. Do the three simililar patterns and then do variations on the colors (two variations are enough I suppose, and aren't really that much more of a trouble).

I'd suggest inverting the colors: like, your main texture is red on white, the variation would be white on red.
    I always liked the looks of the inverted color pattern shields. Of course, this doesn't apply to every units, as some have very distinct and iconic shield patterns.
    Also, I'm not sure about the perfomance impact of having 6+ different shield textures.

~~~~~~~~

Hey Razor, I remember you speaking about religion conversion. Saw this thread in the Released Mods subforums. Give it a look:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2#post12717912
    Last edited by Yayattasa; March 29, 2013 at 08:21 PM.

double post
    Last edited by Razor; April 01, 2013 at 12:03 PM.

Having 6 different shield textures doesn't really affect the game performance, but they simply do not fit inside the textures (at least the Roman ones) unless I'm going to resize them resulting in blurry textures ingame. For the Germanic units I plan to have 7 different shield patterns available to them. I don't know about inverting colors for Roman shields. It will be something for the later stages.

Thanks for the link about the religion conversion script! That may be useful.

At the moment I'm working on the campaign part of the mod. Most of the Roman buildings have been added and the campaign map itself is becoming more and more interesting.

Caudillo87's Avatar Semisalis

Very nice update, the campaign part I'm sure will be difficult but its just busy work, the shield part is very true, you cant have so many textures because the textures become to fuzzy with pixels.

Great news!