Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: FALL OF ROME: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

pacco's Avatar -master-of-none-

Default Re: FALL OF ROME - IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Thanks pacco and SBH!

Any criticism/hints/suggestions?
    Maybe use "deeper" normal maps for scale armour.

Skinner and modeller for Roma Surrectum
    Under the patronage of Tone
    my shield collection

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Default Re: FALL OF ROME - IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

Quote Originally Posted by pacco View Post
    Maybe use "deeper" normal maps for scale armour.
    Ah yes. My first try with this scale armour was in fact with a more pronounced normal map, but it was just too much and looked unnatural. That's why I went for a more subtle normal map, especially because the scale armour just isn't that pronounced. Perhaps I could experiment with light reflections from different angles, but I don't know if the amount of work would pay off in M2TW.

Ok, to incite some discussion:

My plan is to have upgrades represent upgrades/promotion of units.

level 1 upgrades will be possible in local workshops where broken armour is being repaired or improved locally
    level 2 upgrades will be possible in imperial factories where new weapons and armour can be obtained by troops
    level 3 upgrades will be possible in imperial residences where imperial armories keep the finest armour in store created by the most specialized craftsmen throughout the empire.

Standard level and upgrade level 1 could be considered as "Limitanei" status (the ones stationed at the frontier). Level 2 could be considered as "Comitatenses" status and Level 3 as "Palatini" status. However no strict and official division between frontier legions (Limitanei) and central field legions (Comitatenses and Palatini) is known at this time (only from later on). Generally generals just took detachments from frontier legions with them on campaign as their "Comitatus". However from Diocletian onwards so-called "new legions" were raised of about 1000 men strong and with a new command structure as opposed to the old legions on the frontier who were around 3000 men strong and retained much of the old command structure.

Also, the absence of an armour upgrade doesn't have to mean that a unit isn't upgraded/promoted to elite status. It's perfectly possible that a unit has just been promoted to a field army/Comitatus and that imperial authoriy didn't have the opportunity to re-equip the unit within a certain time span or considered that there was no real need to do so. Obviously they would get their upgrade sooner or later, because in reality soldiers were paid in kind by means of new and upgraded weapons and armour which were in turn silvered, gilded, decorated etc. (it was basically an closed economic system on its own). The elite status aside from armour upgrades is also determined by how the unit is being used, though this would require some form of role-playing.
    Note that barbarian units could also re-equip themselves with Roman equipment when they take over a province with buildings that allow these armour upgrades.

Also, here's my basic late Roman unit list:

Infantry:

Cohors
    Cohors Miliaria
    Cohors Praetoria
    Legio
    Auxilium

Exculcatores
    Sagittarii
    Manubalistarii

Cavalry:

Equites Promoti
    Equites Dalmatae
    Equites Scutarii
    Equites Armaturae
    Equites Mauri
    Equites Sagittarii
    Equites Catafractarii

Equites Singulares Augusti
    Equites Singulares (General's Bodyguard)

Siege Engines:

Ballistae
    Onagri
    Last edited by Razor; February 14, 2013 at 04:11 PM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

I think that you will need these...

TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    I think that you will need these...

I might indeed. However it's still a bit unclear to me what machines were exactly in use by the Romans at this time. I've always understood that the onager replaced the large stone throwing ballista, because it managed the same and had a far simpler design. And there's of course the anti-personnel repeating ballista, but probably not like your designs... Anyway, they do look cool!

There's also the carroballista, but I'm not sure how they will work in M2TW...

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

I think for your cavalry list you should include the equites dalmatia, equites scutari and equite mauri, otherwise the list looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    I think for your cavalry list you should include the equites dalmatia, equites scutari and equite mauri, otherwise the list looks good.
    Sssssht!

You're right. The Equites Dalmatae, Equites Scutarii and Equites Mauri belong in there as well.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Interesting unit list. If you need some reference pictures let me know

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

awesome work! I absolutely love the Roman units. But I just had a quick qustion about the campaign map. Will you be adding in the Hadrian wall in Britain? and how much work will it take to make it garrisonable?

I know its poossible to do a wall moddel from third age. But is there a way to make it to where whe nan army seiges the wall itll be a stone fort with a walll stretching the length of the map?
    Last edited by Evalation; February 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Interesting unit list. If you need some reference pictures let me know
    Sure. I'd say, bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Evalation View Post
    awesome work! I absolutely love the Roman units. But I just had a quick qustion about the campaign map. Will you be adding in the Hadrian wall in Britain? and how much work will it take to make it garrisonable?

I know its poossible to do a wall moddel from third age. But is there a way to make it to where whe nan army seiges the wall itll be a stone fort with a walll stretching the length of the map?
    Thanks Evalation. Eventually the Hadrian wall will be added. This can be done by adding a wall model on the campaign map and make the territory inaccessible. There will be a number of forts between the inaccessible spots. I don't know about custom battle maps. I'm most certainly interested, but it would have to come from some one else's hands, as mine are pretty much tied already.

Astonishing work. That's all I can say. Late antiquity is one of the periods I prefer. As such your mod is quite a blessing !

How do you intend to deal with the city issue ? I assume that at first you'll just keep the ol' vanilla towns. I think the only mod which has ever implemented fully new cities was TATW.

Roma invicta !

@Razor: Good to know there will be a Hadrian wall represented. Its good to know your interested in custom settlements, I think you should talk with the creaters of the De Bello Mundi mod becase they have some stunning complete Roman towns/villages with temples and arenas. Right now I think their working on cities and huge cities because a while back they released a test they did with the Flavian Amphitheatre.

@Marcus: Third age is excellent for custom settlements but there are many others working on custom settlements and are doing awesome work, Hyrule total war, De Bello Mundi(as stated above), and EB2 I believe is also working on custom settlements.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

A minor thing... it should be in hoc signo vincAs, in future.

Archagetes's Avatar Libertus

Why, as far as my Latin knowledge is right it is Future I and therefore vinces.

Vinces is futurum simplex, vincas is coniunctivus praesens. I believe vincas is also possible but it would translate as an optativus: may you conquer. Correct me if I'm wrong since it's been a while...

@Razor: Good to know there will be a Hadrian wall represented. Its good to know your interested in custom settlements, I think you should talk with the creaters of the De Bello Mundi mod becase they have some stunning complete Roman towns/villages with temples and arenas. Right now I think their working on cities and huge cities because a while back they released a test they did with the Flavian Amphitheatre.
    Do you happen to have a link to those previews with the Flavian amphitheatre?

Vinces is futurum simplex, vincas is coniunctivus praesens. I believe vincas is also possible but it would translate as an optativus: may you conquer. Correct me if I'm wrong since it's been a while...
    without another verb, in hoc signo vinces is as correct as in hoc signo vincas, but vincas is a little less "real" so to speak

Do you happen to have a link to those previews with the Flavian amphitheatre?
    yea, heres a couple previews of some things their working on.

Roman Fort.

Roman Colloseum

Links to other preveiws:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=27

Ancient Greek Large Town (Post #853)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=43

Celtibirian Large Town/Town (Post #862)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=44

Numdian/German towns: (Just scroll down the page)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=45

The Steppe Settlement preview (Post 905, 915)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=46

(took forever to find this one, but here it is.)
    Roman Large Town (Post 983)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=50

Make sure to give a much deserved rep to the devs of De Bello Mundi for this stunning work!
    Last edited by Evalation; February 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM.

yea, heres a couple previews of some things their working on.

Roman Fort.

Roman Colloseum

Links to other preveiws:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=27

Ancient Greek Large Town (Post #853)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=43

Celtibirian Large Town/Town (Post #862)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=44

Numdian/German towns: (Just scroll down the page)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=45

The Steppe Settlement preview (Post 905, 915)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=46

(took forever to find this one, but here it is.)
    Roman Large Town (Post 983)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...143858&page=50

Make sure to give a much deserved rep to the devs of De Bello Mundi for this stunning work!
    Excellent! I was aware that De Bello Mundi was playing around with custom settlements, but there are some that I haven't seen/noticed before. Thanks for the previews! They look very interesting. +rep!

The new WIP faction list:

1) Imp. Romanorum (Flavii)
    2) Imp. Romanorum (Illyriciani)
    3) Imp. Romanorum (SPQR)
    4) Imp. Romanorum (Britannia)
    5) Imp. Romanorum (Gallia)
    6) Imp. Romanorum (Hispania)
    7) Imp. Romanorum (Africa)
    8) Imp. Romanorum (Oriens)
    9) Imp. Romanorum (Aegyptus)
    10) Goidels
    11) Kwritani
    12) Frankans
    13) Sahsans
    14) Rugans
    15) Langbardans
    16) Burgundans
    17) Alamans
    18) papal_states (reserved faction slot)
    19) Markmans
    20) Wandalans
    21) Wendowie
    22) Gutans
    23) Gutans
    24) Minor Factions
    25) Alanta
    26) Huna
    27) Hayk
    28) Eranshahr
    29) al-Lakhmiyyun
    30) al-Ghasasinah
    31) Imazighen

More Roman factions have been added to the list to include the emergence of regional Roman rebellions. This also allows the campaign to go beyond the early 4th century and even go well into the 5th century.
    Again, the emphasis is not to expand the Roman empire, but to unite the Roman empire under your banner and keep it united.
    For clarification:

The Flavii form the faction of Constantine who is aiming to overthrow the Tetrarchy and rule the empire as sole ruler and set up his own dynasty.

The Illyriciani form the faction consisting of the other Illyrian emperors (Galerius, Licinius & Maximinus Daia) who want to preserve the Tetrarchy - at least initially. The idea is to set up the faction with two faction leaders (Galerius and Licinius) and an heir (Maximinus Daia). Ultimately as the campaign progresses one faction leader will die and then the other faction leader and heir will form their own line of succession.

The SPQR faction is the faction of Maxentius representing the interests of old Rome.

All other factions are basically regional rebel factions. The mod will start with a regional rebel faction in Africa headed by Domitius Alexander.

Religions:

- Roman Pagan
    - Germanic Pagan
    - Celtic Pagan
    - Steppe Pagan
    - Arab Pagan
    - Berber Pagan
    - Zoroastrian
    - Catholic
    - Arian
    - Other

My aim is to make religions function both as ethnic and religious barriers. I divided the several pagan religions to reflect the the different ethnicities and cultures, whereas Christianity (Catholic and Arian) is aimed to represent the more universal aspirations of Christianity. Other Christian schisms such as Donatism are not included in name, because they weren't the official religion of one of the factions. It will be indirectly included under the term "Other".
    Last edited by Razor; February 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM.