Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: FALL OF ROME: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Re: FALL OF ROME: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

Beautiful!

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: FALL OF ROME: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

very good work razor.

Caudillo87's Avatar Semisalis

Wow, very nice, the cleanest units to ever grace a MIITW machine, I tip my hat to you magister.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Incredible work! Bravo

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Thanks for the nice compliments!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

"Fall of Rome" was not only about defeats but about great victories...
    http://journals.uvic.ca/index.php/gh.../view/529/1570
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Hey, thanks for the article AnthoniusII. It was a nice and interesting read!

HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI HORROR VACUI

- ignore -
    Last edited by Razor; August 02, 2013 at 02:40 AM.

Ok, I'm in doubt as to which pattern to use for the Frankish Auxilium. I could use either the iconic (though cliché) pattern of the Cornuti or the pattern of the Batavi Iuniores which would be more 'original'. On a side note, the Alamannic Auxilium will have the pattern of the Regii. So if I were to choose the pattern of the Batavi Iuniores they could be coupled together with the Regii which is what historically happened. It's a detail. but something that's keeping myself busy as I'm starting to work on the shield patterns for the Roman units.

I found a neat map of the Roman empire during the period in question:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

taken from this site: http://recklessbooks.co.uk/#/26-tetr...war/4542419399

vikior's Avatar Semisalis

Awesome models Razor. The Catafractarii are just breathtaking! +rep

Will you include any unit with heddernheim cavalary helmet and niederbieber e type helmet in your mod ? I think Romans still use this helmet style, even in 4. century.

Quote Originally Posted by vikior View Post
    Awesome models Razor. The Catafractarii are just breathtaking! +rep
    Thanks vikior.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanciarius_90 View Post
    Will you include any unit with heddernheim cavalary helmet and niederbieber e type helmet in your mod ? I think Romans still use this helmet style, even in 4. century.
    Using those helmets may be a bit too much of a stretch. Of course they may still have been used, but most likely during the reign of Diocletian the equipment of Roman troops changed in order to be able to equip the new units of the much larger Roman army. How representative would it be for them to be included? Also, there are other helmets that could also be included such as the horned helmets of the Cornuti and the likes - helmets that we have no archaeological evidence of other than visual representations on monuments.

Here's my view of what the Germanic unit list would look like. For many units different names could be used; Athelings could also be named helmet-warriors. Gaisos Frije could also my named Thusundimans, as these units were often levied per thousands among Germanic tribes. Also some well-known unit names and unit types may overlap with other units. I've integrated the Berserks (in the sense of bare-chested) not as a separate unit but as a warrior/fighting style present in many units. Clubmen, Longhairs and helmet-warriors are also appearances that could have appeared in other units. Clubs were regularly used for both meelee and throwing by skirmishers in the back or behind warband units. Helmet-warriors were often warriors of high standing, either of noble birth or elites who have proven their worth and have been well-equipped by their leader. Longhairs wear their hair in a specific style of the Chatti and also form a separate class of warriors who owned no property of their own and were served by their own kin who took them in and gave them food and shelter. However this custom is also known among the class of berserks, or as Speidel puts it:

"Both were attention-getting, professional warriors who began all battles, which makes such a link indeed likely. To be sure, neither does Tacitus describe the Chatti as mad fighters, nor are Nordic berserks said to have uncommonly long hair. However, the fact that some Chatti long-hairs fought naked suggests that they fought like berserks, madly and without armor."
    (Michael P. Speidel, Ancient Germanic Warriors, New York/London 2004, p. 160)

One could argue that they were the same. All in all many names and warrior styles overlap with others and since having too many double units and units that are too specified would mess up battle lines I'd prefer to tighten/streamline the list.
    Some unit names are derived from the list of Europa Barbarorum, though written slightly different in most cases due to evolution of the Germanic language (in some cases the -oz (Markomannoz, Sueboz) had been transformed to -(an)s (Markomans, Suebans) herby following the Gothic language which is best known in this time period (the Germanic language was still very much unified apparently). Clear manifestations of differences appear later during the times of the great migrations in the 5th and 6th centuries and onwards.

Anyway here's the list:

Herthaganautos (in Dutch: Haardgenoten; general’s bodyguard) 60 (will probably come in mounted and dismounted version)
    Athelings (nobles) 160
    Wulfhetans (wolf-warriors) 160
    Berhetans (bear-warriors) 160
    Bukkahetans (buck-warriors) 160
    Marthrahetans (marten-warriors) 160

Skutjans (bowmen/hunters; marksmen; in Dutch: schutters) 160
    Jugunths (youth; skirmishers; clubs & javelins) 160
    Ridans (riders; mounted skirmishers) 160
    Marharidans (lancers; warhorse riders) 160
    Hundamans (chosen youth of the Hundred; those running with the horses; horse-stabbers) 160
    Gaisos Frije/Thusundimans (free spears/thousandmen; levied warband) 250
    Skadugangans (shadowgoers; in Dutch: schaduwgangers) 160

Skutjans and Jugunths may be merged into just Skutjans acting as skirmishers. Bowmen don't seem to have been that numerous and acted with others like dart/javelin-throwers and can therefore be lumped together with into one skirmisher unit.
    Last edited by Razor; August 11, 2013 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Thanks vikior.

Using those helmets may be a bit too much of a stretch. Of course they may still have been used, but most likely during the reign of Diocletian the equipment of Roman troops changed in order to be able to equip the new units of the much larger Roman army. How representative would it be for them to be included? Also, there are other helmets that could also be included such as the horned helmets of the Cornuti and the likes - helmets that we have no archaeological evidence of other than visual representations on monuments.
    What about blacksmith visual upgrade ? You can upgrade unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanciarius_90 View Post
    What about blacksmith visual upgrade ? You can upgrade unit.
    True. This is possible and perhaps at some point in time I might be adding them. Just not now. There are a lot of things to do that I consider more important concerning both modding and real life.

Hi Razor! First I must congratulate to you for your fantastic work and I desire the best luck with your project!

On other hand I like to ask you if you have plans to include this type of helmet (of sassanid influence) and the mask helms in a upgrade version of the Roman Cataphactarii or maybe in another unit?

Here some examples:

http://i.imgur.com/dEBtQ.jpg

The helmet is wearing for the calvaryman of the left corner

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/7...cargamvwt7.jpg

Here also the guy of the left corner

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qWfaNwTNWf...tafracto+1.jpg

The guy of the middle

And here some awesome miniatures of the Equites catafractarii Ambianenses:

Link: http://littletinmen.blogspot.com.es/...blog-post.html

The mask helm

Last edited by Rampante-Cid; August 16, 2013 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks Rampante-Cid.

The Sassanid-style helmet will probably make an appearance in a local AOR unit, like the Equites Clibanarii Persae.
    About the masked helmet, I'm not so sure. If I were to add a masked helmet it would be more akin to the one in the picture of Constantius II standing on his left: http://i.imgur.com/dEBtQ.jpg

Here two another examples of roman mask helms:

http://imageshack.us/a/img381/9824/ter03mp5.jpg

❋ Flavius Belisarius ❋'s Avatar Semisalis

Icon3 Re: FALL OF ROME: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

I found this map of the Roman Empire and his "praefectura", it could help your future cartographer/mapper.

There is in particular this one which could prove herself useful for the names of the cities, it is dated to the 4th/5th century.

The description Last of the Romans (Ultimus Romanorum) has historically been given to any man thought to embody the values of Ancient Roman civilization —values which, by implication, became extinct on his death. It has been used to describe a number of individuals.
    Flavius Belisarius (505?–565), one of the greatest generals of the Byzantine Empire and one of the most acclaimed generals in history. He was also the only Byzantine general to be granted a Roman Triumph.