Thread: Call to Arms: Announced by DMS

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Default Call to Arms: Announced by DMS

The masters of RTS are back and have announced the true successor to the men of war series!.

http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/products/call-to-arms

Call to Arms offers an innovative new look into modern era combat. Initially offering two playable factions, 20 realistically modeled vehicles and heavy weaponry, as well as over 60 firearms and customization, our new game offers the very best in tactical gameplay.

Similar to Men of War: Assault Squad, Call to Arms also includes our innovative "direct control" feature, a 3rd person action mode used to operate your unit's aim and movement. Whether advancing with a Humvee, infiltrating with a Scout Sniper or crashing through buildings with a M1A2 Abrams, everything can be controlled by you!

Aside from the modern theme, what will change compared to the classic Men of War? We believe it's time to improve the series and the engine it’s running on. This is where we require your help! We have raised enough funds to begin the project, but with your assistance, we aim to create the best strategy experience yet. Every cent offered will go back into development to create higher resolution graphics, engine optimizations and greater content! So what are you waiting for? Check out the reward list and let’s work together to create the greatest gaming you’ve seen!.

This is what a true RTS is and they deserve as much funding and support as possible they deserve it!.
    Last edited by GasMask; December 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM.

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Call to Arms: Announced by DMS

I hope they fixed controlling units. It was a real game-breaking pain that I had to micro-manage every individual soldier and he was just so retarded if I left him alone for a second he'd get his head blown off because he'd run in circles.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

It would seem to me this is going in the right direction and i will support them as much as i can because i trust DMS always they are truly masters of RTS they deserve as much backing as possible! .

Was just going to post the link...

This is awesome news... The forums are alive and with a small donation (cheaper than what the game will actually cost) you not only get a copy of it when released, but get to aid in its development! A no brainer if you ask me!

There are different levels of support; some offering closed beta access, all DLCs, and - if willing to fork over some mula - access to alpha, signed copies, and even visits to studio to provided input and help hands on!

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Hmmm I don't know tbh.

MoW:AS was amazing but it was amazing because it's style so suited WWII.
    It just doesn't sound promising to me.

Part of the reason I liked the Men of War series was that it included almost all the major powers and a huge number of vehicles for each faction.
    Also, 2 factions in a modern setting and they've already mentioned the M1A2 Abrams so we can assume that one faction is the US and it's post cold-war, which means no USSR.
    Already lost a little interest in it there. I mean... who will we be fighting? Middle-eastern countries with no decent tanks?
    Air-power is a huge part of modern warfare and that was something that was awfully represented in Men of War. I mean, especially when you had those planes flying in at the same speed as an old man jogging.

I understand it says "initially" but look at Assault Squad. We still had to pay for extra maps and stuff and that site already states that Call to Arms is going to have DLC so now we probably have to pay for other factions?

Then lets look at modern warfare in general for a minute... some of these vehicles can hit targets that are beyond human eyesight. Even in Men of War, the effective ranges were drastically reduced.
    A modern tank could take out another modern tank in one good hit. It was already frustrating enough when you bring your Tiger up to the front line after saving for it and a Chi-Ha or something gets a lucky shot and destroys you in one go.
    The ranges that infantry were firing at were ranges you could probably hit somebody with a smoothbore musket.

I'll probably still buy it and I'll probably even back it but I'm not holding my breath for how good it will be.
    If I'm honest... they could have done something really amazing and gone into World War I... it would take some change in the mechanics but overall, it would be much easier and something very few developers have offered.
    I played most of my MoW:AS missions as if it was WWI anyway! Create a line, dig in, bombard with artillery and push to the next objectives.

Yay, although I'm not excited about the modern setting, I'm glad to see any game by these guys, the men of war games are superior to most other ww2 rts games in a very similar way to how total war is superior to age of empires.

be interesting to see how they deal with air-forces, although i suspect it'll just involve giving us no control over them atall like in previous games.

Plus tank on tank duels with your friends and the direct control feature is priceless... I miss doing this lol.
    Check out my YouTube videos!

Interesting points...

I'm wondering if they will go the WiC rout with air strikes. Would be interesting, but not really MoW. And I'm also wondering about ranges... Hope you will have an option for tactical map and/or a farther zoom out option.