Thread: A humble contribution from a fan (about research on Finland)

Indefinitely Banned

Default A humble contribution from a fan (about research on Finland)

As a Finn who has gained as much out of Finland's history as possible without being in a university, I wish to share information on iron age Baltic Finn tribes. I know for certain that none of the tribes of the area will be a faction in the game, but this information should at least help, when designing the region.

First off, there's this article on Baltic Finn tribes (with the exception of Votes, Ingrians, Veps, Estonians and Livonians) in Viking ages.
    http://www.allempires.com/article/in...ng_Age_Finland

written by Kristian Ola aka. Wilpuri (while possible that this is the same Wilpuri that is at TWC, I am unable to find out if it is actually him)

(also the images happen to be broken for some reason)

The article takes a look to the 3 major tribes of Finland, Sums/proper Finns, Jems/Tavastians and Karelians. It also talks of the Kvens and Bjarmians, which according to the text, were not actual tribes, but rather groups of hunters, traders and merchants. Hill forts (including the hillfort of Rapola), weapons and warfare are also mentioned.

Secondly there is this map, showing the rough regions of the tribes, and locations for cemetaries and major settlements. For some reason the map forgets the Ingrians though (which would be in the St.Petersburg area, between Karelian and Vote territory)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I hope that this all is of use to the team.

Cheers.

Default Re: A humble contribution from a fan (about research on Finland)

Nice post

I'm sure it will come of use to the dev team!
    Looking forward to Dominion of the Sword
    PSN ID: mynameisowen; add me if you play GT5 or Battlefield.

Is not the maximum amount of factions reached? Maybe someone will make a sub mod. Unless it could be possible to allow the Finland tribes to be emergent factions when for example Sweden dies. I have little experience in scripting so I have no idea if that is possible. Good luck anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
    Is not the maximum amount of factions reached? Maybe someone will make a sub mod. Unless it could be possible to allow the Finland tribes to be emergent factions when for example Sweden dies. I have little experience in scripting so I have no idea if that is possible. Good luck anyways!
    The cap has indeed been reached and sadly it is not possible to make a faction into another. Some crucial things like the name, name lists etc. cannot change so even though it would be script-able it would not be viable.

Regarding sub-mods, our policy is that they must be historical which means evidence-based. What-ifs would be ok to the extent if they can be backed but I am afraid there is little a Finland faction could be based on in our timeframe.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
    I didn't say I wanted Finland to be a faction. I did confess that it has no changes.