Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.4] To Change our Fate: Reforging Sicily with Steel and Heart ~Chapter 24, 1/2/13~

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: [SS 6.4] To Change our Fate: Reforging Sicily with Steel and Heart ~Chapter 17, 1/1/13~

Quote Originally Posted by Sweaft View Post
    Everything's fine on my end It is possible to edit and quote something (as I have painstakingly found out) Here we go:

Step 1) Open two tabs. Navigate both to the page you want to reply.

Step 2) On any one of the tabs press quote on the reply you want to quote, then leave it there.

Step 3) On the other tab, press edit to edit the post you want to edit.

Step 4) On the first tab, copy everything from the quote. So copy the whole thing, (e.g. and without the -) [-QUOTE=Tigellinus;12453203]Just saw this now, sorry for not replying sooner

No worries mate, the fault was mine.

Will do! But first I have to read them

EDIT. Sorry to the mods for doing another double post is it possible to edit and quote something?

Sorry.
    Step 5) Paste it on the other tab where you are editing your post, and wah lah! Now carry on editing as you were, and you can close the first tab.

Now for an announcement--the next update will be finally here in around 3-4 hours. By me

In case you don't know whats going on, my brother and I have decided to swap updates (Only for one update). That means I will be doing an update for him once and he will do the same for me, so we can gauge our own work, compare our strengths and let the readers enjoy the fun

He has already updated mine, and now I'm doing his. You can check out his update here. Happy reading![/QUOTE]

Thank you for your understanding.

THanks a lot mate! Now I can do it!

Thanks Sweaft, cant wait for the update!

EDIT. Nine pages Swaeft, nice!

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Default Re: [SS 6.4] To Change our Fate: Reforging Sicily with Steel and Heart ~Chapter 17, 1/1/13~

Character Background Information
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Sir Fallen/ Romano de Corleone: A young man from Palermo, Knighted at the Chapel of Palermo. He never knew his parents as they abandoned him when he was much younger. He was brought up by a veteran Knight who adopted him, and almost everything he knows about swordsmanship, fighting and the like was taught by his guardian, the Knight. He enjoys adventuring and freedom, and dislikes authority, especially nobles that rule unfairly with an iron fist. Has good knowledge about swordplay, but other than a wooden spear, he knows nothing about other weapons. Has grasped a slight amount of knowledge about farming after observing the Peasants work in their fields. Has also developed a reputation for defending the Peasantry from unreasonable people of higher status. Was recently adopted into the Royal Family and granted the title of Duke of Naples and has been promoted to Lord High Chancellor. He also serves as the Royal Historian of the Kingdom, recording down important events and battles that happen into the archives.

Saphirra: A teenager with youthful looks, but behind that face of innocence lies a deadly desire to rule the world as a queen, superseded only by her desire for pleasure. She leads a hitherto unheard of cult, and inherited her position as cult leader from her now deceased mother. Her cult believes in what Sir Fallen believes in-to save the Kingdom of Sicily, Sir Fallen must become King. She is willing to go to any lengths to ensure that happens, but may have her own motives as well...

I was stark raving mad. I repeatedly gave myself a free haircut, tearing the unfortunate strands of hair out of my head and onto the floor.

King Simone had ordered me to end the Moorish campaign, and was going to try and sue for peace. That capricious, callous King was toying with me, abusing his power and authority to lord himself over me. I was but a pawn to him. Unfortunately none of the population saw it my way. Many revered him, and the words 'all hail King Simone the Saint' were becoming more and more constant and irritating. I pounded my fist onto the table in frustration.

There were three basic options that I could choose from now. One was to submit to the King's order and return to Sicily. Another one was to use Saphirra's cult to consolidate my hold on the King. And lastly I could rebel against his rule.

Number three was a definite no-no for me. The soldiers in my army were not totally supportive of me, and even if they were I would have no strength for an internal revolt. That would also defeat the purpose of me travelling back in time to save the Kingdom from internal revolts. So I was left with number two and number one.

I decided to use a combination of both. I had wasted a year in this desert already, and was no closer to finding Timothy than I was two years ago. This in turn brought about the painful dilemma that I had been racking my brains with over the last couple of weeks. Should I focus on finding Timothy and the lost pendant, which would solidify my claim as King of Sicily, or should I simply work my way up the ladder until King Simone somehow dies?

If I chose the latter, it could be fifty years before that bastard passed away. That was unacceptable. And what did the former offer me that the latter did not? The population didn't even know the pendants were missing in the first place, and if I tried to claim they were missing the King could punish me for treason.

"AAAAH!" I yelled for the umpteenth time. Damn King Simone! Damn Robert! Damn--

"What's going on, Romano?" That silky voice wafted into my ears.

I turned around and laid my eyes upon Saphirra, garbed in her standard red robe. "Great!" I exclaimed in delight. "Just the woman I'm looking for." She laughed mischievously at my remark, stepping ever closer to me.

"And why is that?" She asked, licking her delicate lips entrancingly. At once I realized where she was heading, and started to grow frustrated again. "No, Saphirra, not that. Not now. I need a favor." Saphirra nodded calmly and sat down on the floor. If she was disappointed, she did not show it. Her sudden change in attitude reminded me what an idiot I had just been, I had barely exchanged three sentences and I was already letting off some steam at her. I hurriedly offered her the only chair in my tent.

"Don't you need that?" She asked.

"No, I can stand. I want you to stay focused and hear me out, and you can't do that while standing. Besides, I'm a Knight. I'm supposed to treat you with great care and respect."

Saphirra's laugh echoed off and around the tent, and I was reminded of the cunning in her.

"Right...on to business." I was tired of waiting. “I need your cult to start spreading a rumor that the sacred pendants are missing. They need to be discreet, and not easily identified.”

Saphirra listened attentively, giving me her fullest attention as I outlined my plan. She was a master of her emotions, and to me that was dangerous. One day I would have to deal with her. I only prayed that day would not come soon.

"So you want my members to go around to the many taverns and inns in the mainland, secretly impart the rumors of the missing pendants to the population and remind them of King Roger's order that whoever that brought the pendants would be named the next king?"

I nodded in affirmation. "That will destabilize their support to King Simone from the foundations. Once the foundations are gone, anything can happen. Besides, King Roger was the most well respected King in Sicilian history, and the population will surely remember the competition that he issued to his sons."

"His sons?"

"Yes. King Ruggero was not the only son of King Roger as the population believes. There was another man named Timothy, also born into the Royal Family but was more respected than the late King Ruggero in his younger days. King Ruggero was jealous of him and betrayed him at Syracuse." I explained.

Sahpirra propped her head on her hands, and I knew the cogs of her brain were wheeling efficiently--trying to find help me. Her suggestion won my admiration ten times over as always.

"Why don't we find this Timothy as well? If he truly was betrayed by King Ruggero, we can use him to reveal the treachery to the population that believes him dead. Once they know that the King Ruggero's counterpart is alive, they will not respect King Ruggero anymore, and by affiliation they will not respect King Simone. This Timothy will further solidify our claim to the throne."

I was overawed by her ingenuity, but still doubted that we could pull it off. "Are you sure your cult has enough men to accomplish both objectives? The Kingdom of Sicily has over a hundred taverns all over the Italian Peninsula!"

Sahpirra snickered gleefully. "Don't worry about manpower, we are certainly not lacking in that department. We have been inactive for so long that I'm sure my men will jump for joy for any amount of action." She slid closer to me, bending over to whisper in my ears. "Besides, my mother was a woman of great vitality and action."

I backed off a little. "So?"

"Well, to put it simply she was very, very fertile."

I gasped aloud and blushed a deep shade of maroon after fully comprehending the meaning behind those words. Sahpirra simply stood up from her chair, and I remembered that I was still standing. My legs felt oddly weak. I wanted to collapse on my bed and sleep for a long time. It was nearly dusk after all.

"Is that everything, my lord?" Saphirra asked. I replied unsteadily. "Yes." Saphirra turned around and made to leave. I stretched out my hand and grasped her shoulder.

"Wait! You can't be seen, remember?" I wondered if our conversation had an effect on her.

"Relax, your guards are part of my organization." Saphirra answered in a perfunctory tone. The revelation and her nonchalant attitude startled me--how many of my guards were her men in the first place? Her cult seemed enormously huge! I stood stock still while Saphirra opened the flaps of the tent and relayed her precise instructions to my 'guard', enjoying the sensation of the cool, relaxing breeze on my shoulders. It was so tranquilizing and intoxicating...as was the feeling of those soft, delicate hands sliding over my shoulders...

What? My eyes jolted open. The tent flap was shut and zipped tight. My shirt wasn't. Saphirra's hands and lips were all over my chest. "Saphirra--what are you doing?" I exclaimed in shock, trying to garner the strength to shove her away.

"Now that business is concluded, its time for pleasure, my lord." Saphirra surprised me with a powerful shove, and I landed face up on my bed. Very soon, I wasn't the only one on it.

"No, Saphirra, we can't do this." I thought my feeble attempt at restraining Saphirra would not work, but she paused, her eyes burning with wild fire. "I'm not going to force you, Fallen." She said, reverting back to my first name. "It's your choice. Do you want me, or not?"

Exhausted, I shut my eyes for the moment. I remembered my vows as a Knight, my marriage to Princess Maximilla. I knew I should have felt abashed and ashamed, but I was as surprised as anyone when I felt the only emotion radiating out of me was desire. I thought of my torrid life here. I had been used as a pawn by the current King, and had endured the pain of war and the death of many. Ethan was, and shall forever be my best friend, and the memories I had of him were tainted with the conceited hate for the tribulations Fate was throwing at me. I had barely gotten a break, much less a well needed night of sleep without worrying about anything--if someone would cut my throat, if there was a battle going to occur the next day and so on. The list was endless. In the sea of never-ending injustices and self-sacrifices I was going through, was it so wrong for me to take a well-deserved break and enjoy myself for a short while?

My eyes fluttered open. Saphirra was looking at me with an expectant smile.

Instead, it was I who lunged at her.

Author's Note:
    Well, I guess that was the first completely picture free update I have ever written. I'm not going to add a link to it in the content page until my brother sees fit to name this chapter. Both of us shall return to our own AARs and continue where we left each other off. I also had a mini discussion with my brother about his AAR plot, and we agreed that change of the character's fate is in order. (No pun intended) But nothing you have ever read will be changed, all the chapters already up will be left untouched. The upcoming ones are the ones that will change, so no worries about re-reading a few updates. This chapter was also quite short because my brother didn't want me to reveal more of the plot than he wanted to at this moment. He has his own ideas about the future updates, and I shall rightfully leave the writing and twists to him. Until then, happy reading everyone!

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Next update will be up in about three hours. It covers the interim period in which Romano matures, and will be quite plot heavy. And picture heavy. And exciting times lie ahead for our protagonist, for something may drive him to the Holy Lands...

And he definitely won't be alone.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Next update will be up in about three hours. It covers the interim period in which Romano matures, and will be quite plot heavy. And picture heavy. And exciting times lie ahead for our protagonist, for something may drive him to the Holy Lands...

And he definitely won't be alone.
    Congratulations on your eagle-thing, I never get that right. (Your rep.)

THE HOLY LANDS? My Protagonist won't see the Holy Lands until much into my story.

Can't wait for the Holy Lands.
    Last edited by Tigellinus; January 12, 2013 at 07:48 PM.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Sir Fallen/ Romano de Corleone: A young man from Palermo, Knighted at the Chapel of Palermo. He never knew his parents as they abandoned him when he was much younger. He was brought up by a veteran Knight who adopted him, and almost everything he knows about swordsmanship, fighting and the like was taught by his guardian, the Knight. He enjoys adventuring and freedom, and dislikes authority, especially nobles that rule unfairly with an iron fist. Has good knowledge about swordplay, but other than a wooden spear, he knows nothing about other weapons. Has grasped a slight amount of knowledge about farming after observing the Peasants work in their fields. Has also developed a reputation for defending the Peasantry from unreasonable people of higher status. After being adopted into the Royal Family and granted the title of Duke of Naples, he has been promoted to Lord High Chancellor. He also serves as the Royal Historian of the Kingdom, recording down important events and battles that happen into the archives.

Saphirra: A teenager with youthful looks, but behind that face of innocence lies a deadly desire to rule the world as a queen, superseded only by her desire for pleasure. She leads a hitherto unheard of cult, and inherited her position as cult leader from her now deceased mother. Her cult believes in what Sir Fallen believes in-to save the Kingdom of Sicily, Sir Fallen must become King. She is willing to go to any lengths to ensure that happens, but may have her own motives as well...

Saphirra: A angel-faced woman, but behind that face of innocence lies a deadly desire to rule the world as a queen, superseded only by her desire for pleasure. She leads a hitherto unheard of cult, and inherited her position as cult leader from her now deceased mother. Her cult believes in what Sir Fallen believes in-to save the Kingdom of Sicily, Sir Fallen must become King. She is willing to go to any lengths to ensure that happens, but may have her own motives as well...

Princess Maximilla: Daughter of King Ruggero. A stunning form of beauty said to have been given to the Kingdom of Sicily by God himself as a gift. A Princess well seasoned to the court at 28, she assists in helping Romano de Corleone increase his political standing among the nobles. Due to her exquisite beauty, she is often hankered after by many Dukes and Barons. Has already married Sir Fallen, now known as Romano de Corleone, and has recently given birth to a child. However, their marriage does not appear to be a cordial one, as they rarely get to see each other and spend time together.

King Simone the Saint: Currently is Duke of Al-Mahdiya. The first nobleman in the Royal Family Fallen meets. His facade is now broken, and Sir Fallen realizes that this man is a true wolf in sheep's clothing, a man driven by his own greed and lust for power and success. He cares naught for the population of Sicily, much like the House of Bourbon's ruling style in the 1840s. He later agrees to stop plotting to attack Romano through shady means, but continues to be Romano’s mortal arch enemy in politics. Has been awarded the title of Saint by the local population for lowering taxes across the entire Kingdom and constructing useful buildings.

Landolfo the Saint: Duke of Syracuse. He owns Syracuse and all the outlying fiefs and hamlets around it. He is lauded for protecting Syracuse and its coasts from raiders and slaughtering them to the point that no more bandits dare set their sights on Syracuse, and this has prompted the population to call him a Saint, something approved of by King Simone.

Captain Bartolomeo: A Knight appointed by Duke Guiskard to lead the army towards Al-Mahdiya. A staunch supporter of the Duke, he always obeys Duke Guiskard's orders to the letter, seeking to gain promotion and higher status. He does not care much about the life of the common man in the army, something that tells in his battle tactics and haste to attack.

Shortly after being recalled back to Sicily I spent most of my time in Naples. Being the Duke of Naples I could do whatever I pleased in the city, and I started implementing slight, subtle changes to the policies there, something that King Simone and his womanizing had no time for. I felt for his wife, I really did. It must hurt to have a husband openly flaunting himself with another woman.

I did a lot of work during my time well spent in Naples. Before I returned I had negotiated with a Moorish Emir on a peace treaty. He was surprisingly affable and understanding, much unlike most of the stories I heard about these 'savages'. He understood that we had different religious views and had to obey the call of God no matter the cost. He actually embraced me when I approached him for a ceasefire, calling me 'the Chivalrous', and telling me that we could have been congenial brothers had a twist of fate not made me a Sicilian but a Moor instead. I was confounded by his empathy, but we spent a great deal of time chatting and exchanging information about our culture. He was certainly a more sociable and calm person than most of the bickering nobles in Sicily.

Shortly after my return to Naples, I was informed about the coming of age of my eldest son! Princess Maximilla had chosen to name him Raimondo in my absence, and I felt it only fair, since he would be taking my last name after all. He was a dependable and trustworthy son, and had aspirations of becoming a great commander.

It was during this time that I tried to catch up with my family, to recover time that was lost in the vast Moorish deserts or the uncompromising blanket of water they call the sea. I now had three children; two boys and a girl. Raimondo followed me around wherever I went, learning whatever I could teach him--he was my persistent but nonirritating shadow. One thing Princess Maxmilla--

No, I had to stop calling her that. Those childish times are over. She is now Maximilla de Corleone. Was this my ancient family name after all?

One thing we agreed on was to let our children grow up under the care of Maximilla de Corleone, unexposed to the world. She would induce in them many of the virtues that I had--courage, bravery, loyalty, self sacrifice and the like. Only when she deemed his will resistant enough to change would she let them into the glorious wilderness of humanity. This was especially important since the political madness of the Royal Courts are unforgiving--one mistake and you have an enemy for a lifetime.

Raimondo was quite like my younger self. Eager, intrepid and full of youthful vibrancy. At the age of sixteen he decided to marry his childhood sweetheart, something that both Maximilla and I agreed on. We had both gone through the experience of having love torn away from us, and if this Beatrice was the one Raimondo desired in his heart, who were we to stop him?

Four years have passed since I returned to Naples. This city is now my domain, I hold all the power here in my vice-like grip. The plans that Saphirra and I set in motion were already bearing fruit. Whispers of the missing pendants would float around here and over yonder, and yet King Simone did not and would not notice. His authority would be challenged by no one, and as a Saint he was revered by everyone from Beleb-el-Anab to Tripoli.

But his grip has been slackening. His acrimonious nature in court has served to delude some of the nobles' support in him, and his wife left him a couple of weeks ago, denting his reputation even more. He still held great sway in court discussions, but he was no longer the man he was four years ago.

My time would come soon. I have been holed up here in Naples for four long years, planning, waiting, biding my time, watching as well-prepared and well-executed plans started to bear fruit.

And all this while, Timothy eluded me. I could not find him, he was but a specter in my mind, a wandering ghost lost in the enormity of the world. Saphirra's search had only come up with one possible lead, and that lead was all the way in the Holy city of Jerusalem. She told me that one of her agents found his name on a list of passengers heading there on the pretext of being pilgrims. What were the chances of a wanted man using his real name to sign up for an expedition originating in the country he is wanted?

I told Saphirra it was nil, but she insisted on checking it out.

Well, at least, not her.

During these four years my appetite for Saphirra had grown tenfold, especially since Maximilla de Corleone was always busy in the courts or at home, and she always seemed to be missing whenever I wanted a little love. So in these four years I broke my sacred oath of marriage dozens of times. I never regretted a moment of it--the joy and ecstasy I felt with Saphirra was exhilarating.

But once I went too far, and felt a tinge of shame when I heard the crying of the newborn baby.

One fine day, the leader of all Catholics had to answer the call to heaven, and a grand ceremony was held in Rome to commemorate the Pope's death.

"He didn't die," said one of the many hundreds of thousands of pilgrims there. "He just started a new life, up there."

Whether he was right or not, I wouldn't know. The Papal Election was just around the corner, and I had no idea who to vote for. There were three candidates, one from Scotland, one from Denmark and one from the Kingdom of Leon and Castile. I didn't know anything about any one of them, and spent many sleepless nights growling over who to pick.

In the end, my fury boiled over when I realized I couldn't vote in the first place.

Pope Innocentius V of Scotland was elected by a landslide, winning ALL the undecided votes. Perhaps he is destined to lead the Catholic Church after all?

But with the joy of celebration comes the petulance of crisis. A Jihad had been declared by the 'barbaric' Muslim hordes of the East, and the Pope was worried sick about their call to arms. He decided to take action and sent messengers all over the Catholic world.

This time, there was a great rumbling rippling across the land. This was no simple crusade to Tunis a decade ago, this was a major crusade to the heart of the Fatimid Caliphate, the main worry of the Crusader States. Anyone who participated would be in for the long haul, and would be facing the supreme power of the Eastern infidels.

So King Simone organized the biggest expedition ever recorded in Sicilian history. A mighty host was to be assembled at the small town of Syracuse, where I had first warped in here, and where King Ruggero betrayed his brother over the throne. It was a place with a long history, and I wanted to see for myself what it was like again. I was by no means a nostalgic person, but this time curiosity got the better of me, and I hastened there with all the men I could garner. Besides, the target was Cairo, not far from Jerusalem where Timothy was rumored to be hiding. Saphirra was pleased with my decision and promised to take care of all my holdings in Naples. Discreetly.

The road to Syracuse was packed full of pilgrims and travelers. You simply could not walk for five minutes before catching sight of another one. It seemed that this call to arms would draw a mighty host.

And draw one it did. The town of Syracuse was flooded with visitors, pilgrims and knights, all clamoring to take part in 'God's expedition'. I was simply amazed by the sheer number of men, and the raucous din they were making. Merchants competed with each other by hollering their wares above the constant muddle of personal conversations.

My small force of about 600 men were augmented to an unforeseen degree--I now had over two thousand five hundred men under my command! My title of 'the Chivalrous' was recognized by King Simone--more slack he was cutting me, and I welcomed it.

The army I commanded consisted of a good mix of light infantry, ranged units, and cavalry. The only thing we were lacking was heavy infantry, but it would have to do.

Another host was assembled East of Syracuse, this one was lead by a noble I had never heard of before--the Duke of Palermo.

He seemed a solid enough chap, and his loyalty to our cause would never be in doubt. The only problem I had with him was that he took all of my beer and ale away before the trip. His alcoholic side would possibly prove to be his downfall. His army had a large and overbearing proportion of infantry and spearmen, and a few cavalry companies were thrown in to balance the composition. His army would be very useful in a siege.

And lastly...

Memories from fifteen years ago were reignited when I met the man I had all but forgotten, the picture of his face I had all but consigned to the deepest parts of my brain.

It was Captain Bartolomeo. We immediately locked death stares at each other.

He was around 50 years old now, but he wasn't the only enemy I was going to face.

His son would be the one leading the army, and he would be acting as his son's adviser during battles. Any notion of making friends with his son was immediately dashed when he snorted upon seeing me. It appears that Captain Bartolomeo had imparted the same hostility towards me into his son. I sighed.

"What did you do with all that money you embezzled at Al-Mahdiya, Captain?" I taunted. "Buy another whore?" Captain Bartoloemo reddened in anger, but it was his son who replied.

"I don't see any of your parents with you, scum. You may be older than me but I am not afraid of you." He sneered defiantly at me.

"Well then, let's see if your father or your youthfulness can protect you in battle, bastard." I laughed gleefully as both Bartolomeos reeled from the double insult. Before we could trade anymore verbal blows, I strode away to my army. It would do me no good to show my ugly side in front of my men. I made a slight note about his army though, it was comprised almost entirely of infantry, with some of the numbers being made up by mere pilgrims! They did carry the Great Cross bestowed on them by the Pope though, perhaps that would harden their spirit and strengthen their attacks. They were going to need it with a zealous commander like Bartolomeo.

The declaration of war was issued before we left, much unlike King Simone's true character. I figured that he had to start living up to his reputation as a Saint, else he would probably treacherously not declare war at all!

At exactly midday, the Pope himself came to bid us farewell, saluting our indomitable will to fight in God's name. Only the Duke of Palermo seemed to pay wholehearted attention to the Pope's farewell speech, for he seemed the most pious of us all and was truly answering God's call. The Pope also brought news that other factions were taking up arms against God's enemies himself, and that we would not be alone in this righteous, holy endeavor.

He brought along with him many of the trained and experienced priests willing to accompany us.

They would be following us to the Holy Lands and help convert the population to the One True Faith. Among them I spotted an old friend--Cardinal Niccolo. He was older than his years even at 51, and he would prove to be a sponge for all my discomfort--absorbing them and then throwing them away.

The final preparations were being made, and already the soldiers were marching up the gangplanks in ranks, eager for the journey that would purge them of their sins. The population of Syracuse waved Sicilian flags and wives and children rushed forward for their last embraces with the soldiers. How many of these wives would become widows, I would never know. The Pope himself blessed us, and our priests led by Cardinal Niccolo replied in kind. The azure blue water sparkled as our ships glided across the port into the open sea, and Syracuse gradually diminished on the horizon. We were now on crusade.

The waters were calm and the current was actually helping us on our way to the Holy Lands. God might just be on our side for this journey. During the trip to Cairo, I thought about the failures of the previous crusade.
    The First Crusade had indeed reclaimed Jerusalem and its surrounding towns and castles. The Crusader States were formed, and all of Christendom rejoiced. But just ten years later and the Crusader States are in dire straits. They were at war with virtually all of Islam, and their only ally was us, the brave Sicilians. Their capital and the pride of Christendom, Jerusalem, had been under a four year siege and would not last much longer.

Their desperate plea for help reached our leading ship, led by the Duke of Palermo, and he set a new course--to save the city of Jerusalem. But the garrison was almost starved into submission, and I feared that the Duke of Palermo would not arrive in time.

Meanwhile, I received word that Captain Bartolomeo and his son had landed at the town of Alexandria. I was furious--we had received instructions from the Pope to redirect our efforts to saving the Holy city of Jerusalem, and all the manpower was needed to help combat the Islamic perpetrators. Fifteen years on and Captain Bartolomeo was still attracted by riches and women, and both were surplus to requirements in the rich town of Alexandria. What had started as a proper crusade to Cairo had split into a relief effort for Jerusalem and the desertion on the original course by a third of our forces. And I was still a week away, at sea. "How much worse can this get?" I wondered.

I got my answer a day later. Captain Bartolomeo and his son were cornered by Fatimid forces while disembarking. Words could not express my fury when I realized that they would be incapable of helping Jerusalem while under attack, but even more reprehensible was the fact that I could not assist, being out at sea. The Genoese and the Papal States had blockaded Alexandria's port, but that only made the food-starved garrison sally forth with reinforcing armies to meet the Bartolomeos. Fifteen years on, and they were still complete fools.

This was going to turn out as a disaster, I just knew it.

And I was right.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [SS 6.4] To Change our Fate: Reforging Sicily with Steel and Heart ~Chapter 19, 13/1/13~

While I type out the next chapter (just finished a great battle!), here's something for you guys to chew on. And for me to break my brain over how I'm going to handle this.

Default Re: [SS 6.4] To Change our Fate: Reforging Sicily with Steel and Heart ~Chapter 19, 13/1/13~

While I type out the next chapter (just finished a great battle!), here's something for you guys to chew on. And for me to break my brain over how I'm going to handle this.

DAMN, I will wait very very eagerly for the update!!!!!!!

Blood, gore, death and victory are assured

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    Congratulations on your eagle-thing, I never get that right. (Your rep.)

THE HOLY LANDS? My Protagonist won't see the Holy Lands until much into my story.

Can't wait for the Holy Lands.
    Wow, I didn't even notice that eagle thing. And you have like FOUR eagle things!!!

The Holy Lands shall be the death of our protagonist (up to you to think whether its literal or not)

I have decided to shorten the plot a little, and the ending may not be what anyone expects. But don't fret, the ending is not near yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    DAMN, I will wait very very eagerly for the update!!!!!!!

Blood, gore, death and victory are assured
    I'm sorry my friend, but you may be disappointed on this one. There will still be much blood, gore, death and victory, but not in the area that you are expecting I guess.

Sigh, a little bit of misfortune here and there in the campaign, but nothing serious.

Book Two was a short book, it was meant to show Romano's assimilation into the Royal Family and his few steps beyond that. Book three is what you may call the heaviest part of the plot, and I don't know yet whether there will be a book four. Well, leave the worrying to me and enjoy the chapters!

Paragon's Avatar Senator

I tried to comment you hours ago but TWC was down for some reason :/

So any way here's the abriged version:

Boooh, booh, evil unchilvaric cheating, commit sudoku, boooh

Hueg battles I didn't expect for Jerusalem, and here I was thinking 3 armies was overkill
    This is my Aragonese AAR, One Single Man

If you read and comment, there WILL be cake!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    I tried to comment you hours ago but TWC was down for some reason :/

So any way here's the abriged version:

Boooh, booh, evil unchilvaric cheating, commit sudoku, boooh

Hueg battles I didn't expect for Jerusalem, and here I was thinking 3 armies was overkill
    Yeah I was in the middle of a chapter when it went down. But luckily I copy and paste to word before clicking preview post. Aha, unchivalric but yet he is Romano the Honorable....

And he will get what's coming to him.

But not at Jerusalem. Because my PC can't handle five armies. Maybe four, but not five.

Yeah I was in the middle of a chapter when it went down. But luckily I copy and paste to word before clicking preview post. Aha, unchivalric but yet he is Romano the Honorable....

But not at Jerusalem. Because my PC can't handle five armies. Maybe four, but not five.
    At least your's can handle four. Mine can't handle two full stacks. It's good for me cause I can take out them one at a time

Paragon's Avatar Senator

I think the retinue of concubine gives you 2 dread or so

Anyways, maybe you should lower the graphics a bit?
    This is my Aragonese AAR, One Single Man

If you read and comment, there WILL be cake!

Those "eagle things" are fleur-de-lis. C'est compris?
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Those "eagle things" are fleur-de-lis. C'est compris?
    Yeah but thats the boring way to say it

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Sir Fallen/ Romano de Corleone: A young man from Palermo, Knighted at the Chapel of Palermo. He never knew his parents as they abandoned him when he was much younger. He was brought up by a veteran Knight who adopted him, and almost everything he knows about swordsmanship, fighting and the like was taught by his guardian, the Knight. He enjoys adventuring and freedom, and dislikes authority, especially nobles that rule unfairly with an iron fist. Has good knowledge about swordplay, but other than a wooden spear, he knows nothing about other weapons. Has grasped a slight amount of knowledge about farming after observing the Peasants work in their fields. Has also developed a reputation for defending the Peasantry from unreasonable people of higher status. After being adopted into the Royal Family and granted the title of Duke of Naples, he has been promoted to Lord High Chancellor. He also serves as the Royal Historian of the Kingdom, recording down important events and battles that happen into the archives.

Captain Bartolomeo: A Knight appointed by Duke Guiskard to lead the army towards Al-Mahdiya. A staunch supporter of the Duke, he always obeys Duke Guiskard's orders to the letter, seeking to gain promotion and higher status. He does not care much about the life of the common man in the army, something that tells in his battle tactics and haste to attack.

Bartolomeo de Policastro: The only son of Captain Bartolomeo that Romano encountered many years ago. Captain Bartolomeo’s feud with Romano continues to this day, but his son’s hatred towards Romano is born only out of his father’s preaching, and is unsure of whether he really detests Romano. Deep down, he hides a chivalrous personality.

Lamberto Filangieri: A young noble recently promoted to the post of Duke of Palermo. A loyal and dependable commander, with but one flaw: The constant need for alcohol.

As the ships drew closer and closer to the shore I could already see the dust and smoke swirling in the air as the armies clashed. It wasn't very visible from here, so I had to reply on a report by Bartolomeo de Policastro, which was obviously exaggerated to enhance his burgeoning ego and reputation.

First Battle of Alexandria (Reported by Bartolomeo de Policastro)

The Sun was burning brightly on our backs, but we did not shy away from battle, for we were, and still are, brave and proud Sicilians. We rallied to the Holy Cross in this desperate time of crisis, and I started to position my men around a few pillars implanted on the ground at weird angles.

The enemy were coming at us from three directions, so I used my years of military training wisely and positioned my men in a rectangle with the back open so that cavalry could maneuver in and out as needed. Oh, my father also helped me arrange the soldiers properly, so some credit must go to him too.

The first wave that came from the left of our position was led by a man whose name I didn't care to remember. His army was the most numerous, but still less than our total strength.

The second wave that came from the North-West was half the size of the garrison, and comprised of mainly infantry. They were led by a man named Abul-Fadl, and I only remembered his name because my father burst out laughing when I tried to pronounce it.

The third and final army approached our position from our front, but they did not have the numbers to trouble us.

The infidels were cowardly, hiding behind the treeline and refusing to come out and do battle. Instead, they started loading those enormous crossbows and fired blazing bolts at us.

I could not stand letting my brave men die needlessly from afar, and skillfully circumvented the main body of enemies and gallantly charged the heathen manning the oversized crossbows balistas.

My charge killed most of them, and the remaining survivors scattered, too frightened to continue facing the might of my men. Meanwhile, as I was dealing with the most important task of the battle, a company of crusader knights charged the first wave of reinforcements, and inflicted significant casualties on their archers.

The Mailed Knights also, together with the help of some brave fanatics, ran down a group of pesky Desert Archers.

At this point the Saracen army decided to surge forward and take the battle to us. My father advised me to let them come. They charged straight at us, screaming Islamic slogans that we did not understand, but our lines held fast and our men never once wavered. God and my presence held them together, and we stood and awaited the Fatimid's attack.

Just then, my father thought of a brilliant plan. We would let our men enter a depression in the ground so that our archers could fire over their heads and into the enemy's ranks. This shrewd move caused quite a number of Fatimid casualties as they took arrow and crossbow fire from the front. I marveled at the Fatimid's courage, for they kept coming despite seeing many of their friends take an arrow to the knee.

Just before our ranks clashed I saw one of the Fatimid captains. I wisely ordered my ranged units to concentrate fire on his company, and it was not long before he fell, his body riddled with arrows and bolts.

At his death, the entire Saracen army halted in confusion, and I used this opportunity to charge the third army under Captain Abul-Fadl, and decimated the ranks of his archers. As if my movement sparked something in the infidels, the Saracen armies then resumed their advance faster than before. Our left flank was under serious threat, as the militia holding the line there could not stand up to armored and trained heathens.

Our crusader sergeants then bravely held off three companies of Fatimid spearmen on their own.

This allowed me to commit an additional five units of mercenaries to flank the first Fatimid army under the now deceased captain Ukru...something. They routed under the pressure and I gleefully gave chase. However, there were so many of them such that all of my bodyguards had to kill a hundred men each.

We got the third Fatimid captain as he tried to save the situation by rushing to reorganize the fleeing army. He just hastened his own death.

By now our center had stabilized, and we were now in a very strong position to kill off the remaining enemies. Our center and right were slowly but surely whittling down the numbers of the enemy, and our left flank could be used to outflank the enemy in a matter of minutes. All we needed to do was hold the line. I personally killed off the armored Saracen threat on our extreme left, and now the way was clear for a flanking maneuver.

We duly completed the maneuver, and as such the battle was won. I left the chasing down of routers to my bodyguards, and sat down for a well deserved break.

The prisoners did not show respect to me and my father! When I asked them to say 'Bartolomeo the Great', they mumbled something in Egyptian. That was an affront to me and my father, and I immediately ordered their execution.

Their bodies joined those of the dead on the ground.

And so I, Bartolomeo the Great, had won a major victory against the Fatimids, and now stand proudly before the defenseless city of Alexandria. We shall capture it in due course, before you have even lifted a sword at the enemy, Romano.

I laughed so hard at this noble's delusion. Sure, he had indeed won a crushing victory that I would gladly accept to my credit any day, but I could care less about that now. To think that he actually executed the prisoners for being unable to pronounce his name! Did he even think about whether the Fatimid population could speak English in the first place? This man was entertaining and ridiculously stupid at the same time. He fails to realize that the pen is truly mightier than the sword, and after making some...amendments to the text I stored it in my chest for archiving when I returned to Sicily.

A great groan of dismay greeted me as I headed to the decks. I had just woken up, and wondered what the men could possibly me disheartened by out here at sea. A storm? No, the winds were too calm for that.

It turned out to be something far worse.

A trading vessel had just passed on news that the capital of the Crusader States had fallen to a mighty Persian host, and there were three more Turkish armies massing near the capital. Jerusalem was now a Muslim city, something that I knew the Pope would not tolerate. An hour later I received a letter from the Duke of Palermo.

Romano de Corleone,

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I inform you that I cannot assist you in the capture of the Fatimid capital of Cairo. Since young I have been captivated with the glory of the Kingdom of Heaven and its jewel, Jerusalem. I cannot accept that it has fallen into Islamic hands, and I have vowed to God to recapture Jerusalem or die trying. The men in my army have all sworn similar oaths, and we shall try our utmost to recapture Jerusalem from the infidels.

Lamberto Filangieri

I almost wept while reading his letter. This was a true Catholic, inside his pure heart he harbored the most divine and righteous ambition. I filed away his letter, for this was proof that this man was a true Saint, and should be recognized as such in due time.

We would reach land soon, and I hurriedly put on my armor. It was time to fight again, and perhaps I would be able to find Timothy in a few years time if I bring peace to this land through war. The thought brought a slight smile to my dry, puckered lips.

Upon disembarkation, I realized that my men were so demoralized by the fall of Jerusalem and so seasick that they were in no mood to fight. As much as I tried I could not stir up the flames of passion, and so I had to resort to camping outside the castle of Damietta and terrorizing any Fatimid merchant caravan that got too close to my siege camp.

But it seemed that war would never leave us alone for a while. The next morning, a small but experienced Saracen force set up camp right next to us, and this time the men grow angry. How dare they insult us by cornering us against the sea! Did they think that more than two thousand of us would be afraid of an army of seven hundred? If they indeed thought so, they would be brainless, puerile people. We moved into battle formation and prepared to engage them.

However, as we waited for the enemy to make the first move, we saw a group of horsemen approaching our lines. Our archers raised their bows and drew their arrows, but would only fire on my command. The horsemen stopped a hundred meters from our lines, and the man in the lead dismounted, albeit slightly awkwardly. He then raised a white flag and strode towards our lines.

The rank and file were deathly quiet. No one knew what to expect, and some of the men were starting to get disorientated. "Steady, and keep your focus, brave crusaders! This may be a trap, one that I'm sure none of you would like to fall into!" The reminder served to strengthen the backbone of most of the soldiers, and we waited anxiously for our opponent to speak.

"Hail, franks!" The man bellowed. No one replied. "I wish to speak to your leader!" He continued.

I stirred in the saddle of my horse. What could this man possibly want from me? I chose not to answer, waiting to see what he would do. The man looked downcast when no one responded to his request, but he nevertheless continued to hail us.

"I mean you no harm! All I request is an audience with your leader!" The man dropped his sword and shield, and stripped his armor off. His helmet clattered to the ground, kicking up a few grains of sand. There he stood, in front of our bewildered men, garbed in only his robes. One of his men dismounted, ran up to where he stood and collected his gear before heading back to the horses. I decided that this was enough. I dismounted and walked through my battle lines to meet him. "My lord!" One of my bodyguards had protested. I ignored him.

A crooked smile graced the Saracen's lips as he saw me approach. I strode to within a meter apart of him, and for a while we stared at each other, examining the opposite. From here I could see what I could not at my earlier position. This man was many years my senior, and he had many battle scars on his arms and face. He gazed at me forlornly, but I could detect no hostility from this man as of yet.

I removed my helmet and held it against my chestplate with my left hand. "I am Romano de Corleone, leader and commander of this army. What is it you require?"

The man's words were dry and honest. "I am the Emir of Damietta, Harun al-Sa'igh, and Marshall of the Fatimid forces." He lifted a finger in the direction of where he had come from. "The men there are my bodyguards, and will do you no harm. I come bearing a plea."

Now that I knew this man's identity I could converse with him in a more appropriate manner. I placed my right fist over my heart, and tilted my head down slightly in a respectful gesture. The man reciprocated, and the temporary enmity between us evaporated into the scorching desert air. "What is it you require?" I asked.

The Emir grinned eerily at me and procured a piece of white cloth from within his robes. He offered it to me, and I accepted hesitantly. "Please, sit." The Emir offered. "Thank you." I unfolded the cloth and placed it below me, then awkwardly sat down on the desert floor, aware that the whole army was watching me. The Emir then sat down himself.

"Don't you need one?" I asked. The Emir's lips curved into a smile. "Ah, it is hard to find one such as yourself these days. In response to your question, I don't need one, my legs welcome the fine desert sand more than a piece of cloth." I silently admired this man.

"Now, to answer your first question. I am sure you know that the castle you have surrounded is called Damietta. That is my castle, and I have returned to reclaim it."

The manner in which he put it fueled my anger. "If you think that by showing me more respect than others would you will get back your settlement, you--"

The Emir's peaceful gaze shut me up. I felt abashed. How could I have thought of such a thing? This man was old and experienced, and should know better than to ask such a ridiculous thing.

"For years I have planted the seeds of growth in this castle. For years I have stood in the keep, admiring the view of the seas. For years I have taken measures to make Damietta a powerful trading outpost. And now some foreigner is going to reap the fruits of my hard work."

"I was appointed Marshal when I was a young man of thirty three. I led the forces of my Caliph against his enemies, and cleansed this land of rebels and crusaders like you. For I loved the serenity of this land, and wanted to preserve it for the future generations. Damietta was special to me. It was there I won my first riding tournament, and it was there I found my true love. I still remember playing in the streets as a young child, and during those times the announcement of the First Crusade was but mere news to me. I admired the city like no one else, and strove to put my heart and soul into beautifying and safeguarding it. It was for these reasons that I accepted the title of Emir of Damietta. The memories that I have here cannot be reproduced somewhere else. I was born here, and I shall die here."

I listened to his story, and inside me a tremor was building up in my heart.

"I have fought in the service of the Caliph for forty years. After the numerous battles that I have waged, after the execution of so many prisoners of war, after the conquest of so many new lands, I have come to realize one thing. There will always be more enemies that seek to kill you. There will always be more people who will die by your hand. And there will always be more lands to conquer. One man cannot achieve everything in the world."

A part of me wanted to rant at him, to yell that I was not here to listen to some grandfather story about someone's life, but something snapped in me. I began to appreciate what he was saying, and suddenly the desert looked somewhat like paradise.

"I do not want you to give me back Damietta just like that. I want to fight for it. I am tired of the pain, of the suffering. Ten years ago I had three healthy children. Two boys and a girl. One was serving in the Caliph's bodyguard retinue, and the other was a travelling merchant. The first one died in a battle with franks like you. The second one was put out of business by a rival merchant. And my daughter was married off to a rich emir and I have not heard from her since."

"My point is this." I straightened my back which had become slack from hearing the Emir's story. "I want to fight you, to pit myself for one last time against a frank, and hopefully come out victorious and save my land." His eyes wandered over my waiting army, and the light in them dimmed. "But I see now that it is not possible."

He stood and dusted off his clothes. I was slow to stand, still unable to fully digest his words. "Thank you for hearing me out, Romano. It has been so long since I had a good conversation with someone. I would have offered you a selection of our finest tea, but sadly the war torn lands have produced little to no tea leaves." He bowed before me and turned around, making to leave.

"Wait!" I called out, surprised that after all this he would simply pack up and go. In my hands I held the cloth that he had given me. He faced me with a look of determination in his eyes. "Yes?"

"Your cloth." I blurted out. The Emir waved a hand and dismissed my request. "Keep it." I detected a hint of melancholy in the Emir's voice. "Perhaps they will wipe off the blood you spill, and remind you of your purpose in life." He headed for his horse where his bodyguards were still waiting patiently for him.

"Wait! What now?" I cried out.

The Emir turned around, and this time a fire of perseverance and gallantry was blazing brighter than the desert Sun. "Now...we fight to the death."

First Battle of Damietta

My army was fresh from their rest, and were eager to shed some Saracen blood.

The enemy army was impetuously marching forward. Their numbers were small, but where they walked the land shook with a tremor of determination, and perhaps acceptance.

A horn sounded out from the West--a long, dreary blast. The garrison was sallying forth to help their Emir. A new threat, but an ineffective one.

I assembled my army in one line, aiming for the garrison first. They were small in number and could be eliminated quickly without fuss. The words of the Emir still resonating deep within my heart, I brought all my cavalry to the front line. It was time for a mass charge. Our line seemed to stretch on forever, for half the companies in my army were horsemen.

The garrison stood in the open, facing us defiantly.

In a few moments, their world would crumble before them. I ordered the missile cavalry forward. As the Desert Cavalry rumbled past my lines I caught the look on many of the men's faces. They were not eager to kill those that shared the same faith as themselves, but their sense of loyalty was the most pronounced of all their virtues, and they stood by my order. It pained me to order them to advance in the first place, but none of the crusaders could ride a horse and throw a javelin with as much accuracy as these Muslims could.

The garrison had no ranged units, and it was time to see if their garrison commander was game enough to charge my missile cavalry to save the lives of his men. "No." I thought. "He won't be saving any lives today. They will all die in the end." Somehow the thought did not bring me any pleasure. I waited for the Desert Cavalry to advance for a while more before moving up the heavy cavalry.

When we reached the scene, the Desert Cavalry were already pelting the garrison with the sharp, deadly javelins. The barbed ends only further increased the pain inflicted on the enemy.

Their garrison commander had a noble heart as well, it seemed. He valiantly tried to drive off our Desert Cavalry, and he succeeded, but was instantly engaged by the leading company of Mounted Sergeants in my army.

The two companies fought bitterly against each other, and for twenty seconds they were on equal footing. But it was never to be as the entire four hundred and twenty two cavalrymen in my army smashed against them from all sides. They were utterly vanquished.

I never knew what became of the Captain leading them. His body was never found, and thus I could not record him as dead. Maybe he had never even participated in the fight. In any case, the garrison was squeezed and harassed from all sides to the last man. It was an agonizing yet admirable display of tenacity--they fought to the last man.

It was over in a minute. The garrison had been squashed to a pulp. Now I faced the larger army led by Emir Harun. I assembled my all the cavalry again, and together we marched under the desert Sun to the flanks of the Emir's army.

The Sicilian infantry surged forward to meet the enemy head on, providing us with the opportunity to charge into the flanks of the Emir. Our companies' flags intertwined with each other. It was time to see who would outlast who.

I reluctantly sat back as I watched the fight unfold. This was one skirmish I would not take any part in, for I could not bear to kill a person who had spoken to me so nicely just half an hour ago. The Emir fought like a tiger, hacking this way and that. Every slash seemed to be perfectly placed, and the screams of my bodyguards would haunt me for some time. But the Emir was old, and his strokes grew weak. I shut my eyes as three of my bodyguards closed in on him, and covered my ears.

But even then I could still hear the Emir's death. He didn't die screaming in pain. He simply grunted, but amid the chaos of battle the grunt was like thunder in my ears, an unmistakable, regrettable sign of his death.

The rest of his infantry were either shot to bits by my archers, or trampled into dust in their attempt to escape.

The victory was as good as any other I had achieved over the years, but I did not celebrate it the way I did the rest. This was a battle that was forced upon me by God. The enemy’s commander was a noble leader that always put his people’s interest first, and ordering the charge that led to his death was probably the most revolting thing I had ever done in my life.
    Last edited by Swaeft; January 20, 2013 at 05:09 AM.

Default Re: [SS 6.4] To Change our Fate: Reforging Sicily with Steel and Heart ~Chapter 20, 15/1/13~

Ouch. That was some scene between the Emir. That sort of guy is extremely driven in his goals. I have just the guy in my class. Too bad he sucks up to the teachers too much in order to be sociable. But anyways keep this great AAR going my friend! And don't worry about the mention, you deserved it.

Default Re: [SS 6.4] To Change our Fate: Reforging Sicily with Steel and Heart ~Chapter 20, 15/1/13~

Ah, you got me with this switch!

Ditto. The scene with the emir was very good. I picture this weird old man.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Yes, I agree. That was a nice, original piece, making the battle story much better (instead of being the nth enemy force dispatched).

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Ditto. The scene with the emir was very good. I picture this weird old man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Yes, I agree. That was a nice, original piece, making the battle story much better (instead of being the nth enemy force dispatched).
    First time my brain juices pay off. Thanks for the heartening encouragement, its time to forge another chapter anew! Next update coming....tomorrow. Thanks for reading you two big bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphic View Post
    Ouch. That was some scene between the Emir. That sort of guy is extremely driven in his goals. I have just the guy in my class. Too bad he sucks up to the teachers too much in order to be sociable. But anyways keep this great AAR going my friend! And don't worry about the mention, you deserved it.
    Sorry to hear that, but there aren't perfect people everywhere. Nice username, by the way. And thanks for the kind comment.