Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Germans

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Germans

Quote Originally Posted by Der Phönix View Post
    Unless the game excludes all of Northern Europa I don't see how that would make sense
    He expects them and their villages to be magically teleported in from another dimenstion at 100 BC...
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Unless the game excludes all of Northern Europa I don't see how that would make sense
    There were Proto Germans 270 allready in Germania, it is just difficult to see in the found because the population was very mixed with celtic culture. Culture and Ethnology is very diffcult to seperat in these times. But we know that the Celts hunted Germans to get Slaves in this times. Obviously that changed in the 2th century BC and they area became more germanic than celtic.

In case of Tacitus there are several opinions about the interpretation of his writtings. Two of my profs (provincial roman archealogy) for example interpret in the Revenge Campaigns of Germanicus a strong loss of manpower (most battles were Draws, lost of the fleet twice in storms with many soldiers ect.). Also when Tiberius run north to protect the germanic provinces after Teutoburg Forest he had real problems to get recruts to fill the ranks.

Could the romans conquer germania magna? Sure when they weakend other boarders. Could they hold it? Most likely not, because they simply had not the manpower. It is the disadvantage of a professional army that the numbers are often small. Over 2/3 of the yearly Budget were spent for the legions. Everybody can make his on conclusions about that.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

I hope that they're in and that they're playable from the beginning, but that's mostly because I'm german myself.

Comes Domesticorum

Because they weren't significant enough around the time period for them to playable.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Because they weren't significant enough around the time period for them to playable.
    And what time period are you thinking of?

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    And what time period are you thinking of?
    270BC.

Der Phönix's Avatar Miles

I have to disagree. Germanic tribes made a major geopolitical force on the European continent at the time. Of course they had little direct influence over the Italian peninsula before 100BC (like most factions anyway), but to understand the dynamics of Western-, Central and Northern Europe, at the time without the present of Germnic peoples is near impossible.

I have to disagree. Germanic tribes made a major geopolitical force on the European continent at the time. Of course they had little direct influence over the Italian peninsula before 100BC (like most factions anyway), but to understand the dynamics of Western-, Central and Northern Europe, at the time without the present of Germnic peoples is near impossible.
    To say they were not significant enough is ignorant, if the Germanics didn't pushed the Celts westwards and southwards the Romans would have encountered a other kind of Celts without pressure on their northern and eatern borders...

As it was already said, the pressure the germanic tribes put on the celts led to enormous changes in Northern and Central Europe.
    The only problem is that we almost know nothing about tribal strucutres, warfare, etc. before 100 BC for the germanic tribes.

I really would like different starting dates in the Grand Campaign, but i fear this is not going to happen - b.t.w. and totally unrelated the same for Glorious Achievements.

Comes Domesticorum

They had little influence on the Mediterranean, and therefore, little influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariovist View Post

I really would like different starting dates in the Grand Campaign, but i fear this is not going to happen - b.t.w. and totally unrelated the same for Glorious Achievements.
    Ah glorious achievements mode... gone now, alas, like Trilobites and Dodos. Personally I dislike the focus on region-capturing. Obtaining certain resources for building the Coliseum by a certain year could be just as exciting as fighting your 600th battle, if not indeed a great deal more.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Ah glorious achievements mode... gone now, alas, like Trilobites and Dodos. Personally I dislike the focus on region-capturing. Obtaining certain resources for building the Coliseum by a certain year could be just as exciting as fighting your 600th battle, if not indeed a great deal more.
    Wasn't prestige victory only available in ETW, or am I just forgetting?

Der Phönix's Avatar Miles

They had little influence on the Mediterranean, and therefore, little influence.
    You can have lots of infliuence without having direct influence over the Mediterranean, also dring the antiquity. Parthia, Celtic peoples, Scythian peoples and Bactria, just to mentione some...

Medieval I had the wonderful feature of Glorious Achievements where a faction has several historically-based goals to achieve, which score points; the faction with the most achievement points wins the game.

The "painting the map your colour" mode is boring in my opinion.

Medieval 1 had a Glorious achievements mode whereby you had to achieve certain objectives for points such as 'build the Krak de Chevaliers in Tripoli'. It made the game a bit more paced and realistic as you didn't have to go around conquering every nearby province and it's dog. Empire had a more generic points-based system.

http://forums.totalwar.org/wiki/inde...s_Achievements
    Last edited by Markas; December 10, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

That's really arrogant, the whole world did not revolve around the Mediterrean just becuase Roman and Greek egos did. So perhaps Assyria, Babylonia, Akkad, Sumer or the Hettites had no influence since they only scratched the edges of the Mediterrean huh?

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    That's really arrogant, the whole world did not revolve around the Mediterrean just becuase Roman and Greek egos did. So perhaps Assyria, Babylonia, Akkad, Sumer or the Hettites had no influence since they only scratched the edges of the Mediterrean huh?
    They were also many years before the timespan of the game.

It really depends how CA draws the map but do any of you expect to see entire Europe from Ireland to Urals? Right so where will CA draw the map border? I am not betting on more than Jutland in the north with map perhaps following Vistula then skipping over to Dnieper, then Don, finally Volga on the eastern edge at most.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

The whole world sure did not but for a game called Rome II we can safely assume it will be centered on the Mediterranean.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

They were also many years before the timespan of the game.
    China was contemporary, but I guess they had no influence either since they did not influence the Mediterrean?

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    It really depends how CA draws the map but do any of you expect to see entire Europe from Ireland to Urals? Right so where will CA draw the map border? I am not betting on more than Jutland in the north with map perhaps following Vistula then skipping over to Dnieper, then Don, finally Volga on the eastern edge at most.
    Why should the map be any smaller than than the one in the original? That doesn't make sense. The original one even included the souther tip of Finland. Plus where are CA going to put the secret Amazon Easter Egg units if there is no dark Arkhangelsk forest?

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    The whole world sure did not but for a game called Rome II we can safely assume it will be centered on the Mediterranean.
    However, the subject of debate was not wheather they are important for a Rome centered game, Stavrofos argued that they had no influence at all in actual history just becuase they did not influence the Mediterrean as if that was some universal criteria. Otherwise I think they influenced the Romans pretty much and it must have been a great place since whole legions of Romans traveled there and apperently never returned.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

However, the subject of debate was not wheather they are important for a Rome centered game, Stavrofos argued that they had no influence at all in actual history just becuase they did not influence the Mediterrean as if that was some universal criteria. Otherwise I think they influenced the Romans pretty much and it must have been a great place since whole legions of Romans traveled there and apperently never returned.
    Depends on their level of influence and when. If the game starts at 270bc then I'm sure Rome Ii will be better of concentration on factions that have direct immediate influence in the Mediterranean at that time.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook