Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Germans

Default Re: Germans

I don't think CA will extend map very far north into Germany from recent comments and considering Boii were still in Bohemia at the time and other Celts were also across the Rhine there isn't much room for a playable faction of German tribes unless CA just throw one in. I except maybe as emergent faction or later DLC similar to Shogun 2 where later period of history are covered in expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    I don't think CA will extend map very far north into Germany from recent comments and considering Boii were still in Bohemia at the time and other Celts were also across the Rhine there isn't much room for a playable faction of German tribes unless CA just throw one in. I except maybe as emergent faction or later DLC similar to Shogun 2 where later period of history are covered in expansions.
    Well I got this from Wikipedia

If the map extends into Britain then it would also include Jutland, so unless CA cut out the Germanic territories and label them "wilderness" like with the western USA in Empire then the Germanic homeland (red) should be present and ready for expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingCroppy View Post
    so unless CA cut out the Germanic territories and label them "wilderness" like with the western USA in Empire then the Germanic homeland (red) should be present and ready for expansion.
    I expect something like that... there is not guarantee the map will move east at the same latitude as Britain and in fact that would mean a huge amount of low populated space if map extends east even to Anatolia so obviously the map will dip south somewhere... exactly where is more difficult to say but if CA follows their more depth, less factions philosophy then Germanics will be in an expansion.

I can see them maybe cutting it off at Prussia but to cut it off in the Netherlands just seems lame. The Romans tried to expand into Germany after all. Just because they didn't succeed doesn't mean that it shouldn't be included. That's like cutting off Scotland and Persia. The "wilderness" should be kept for things like deserts.

It depends, when the campaign ends. If its Augustus reign, then germans make sense; of course no Allemans. If the campaign ends earlier, then important tribes like Kimbern and Ariovist could be just scripted events.

But, if CA is just rudimentarily hollywood-minded, Rome 2 without Germans is unimaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    I don't think CA will extend map very far north into Germany from recent comments ...
    Which comments? I rather see the map including entire Germania, perhaps just south Scandinavia. Even if its just to be prepared for DLCs and expansion of later eras.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Should they be playable? And if so, which tribe should represent them?
    Which tribe? They already said there will be tribal factions so there will be multiple German tribal factions. The better question is which Tribes should be included.

With max 8 factions, there will be max 1 german faction including multiple tribes like the roman families. The question is, which are appropriate according to the timeframe. pre-Augustus i know just of 3 which are named by roman historians: Kimbern, Teutones and later Suebes (Ariovist).

omg there isnt a max 8 factions. Just 8 factions to be previewed.

Indefinitely Banned

8 playable factions

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    Which tribe? They already said there will be tribal factions so there will be multiple German tribal factions. The better question is which Tribes should be included.
    I meant which tribe should be playable given the 8 or so slots on the Wiki.

I am not convince there will be only 8 playable factions. I think there are just 8 factions lined up to be preview. Has CA said how many factions will be playable? I thought they said every faction in the game at launch will be playable. Already unlocked.

Indefinitely Banned

I hope so.

They specifically said there are 8 playable factions in the final game. And Germans should not be one of them. They should be in Barbarian Invasion but not early Rome.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Sarmatians are a "true" steppe faction and where invading the lands of the scythians.

As I said before,it would be a shame if not one nomadic faction was playable,as they make for a
    distinct and different gameplay.Also they were always a major factor in history.

@Arcathius of Pontus:Emily Didonato.
    But Sarmatians was one of the Scythian peoples if it is a faction then it will probably be using the family system to model a greater Scythia with Royal Scythians, Sarmatians and Dahae as sub-factions...
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Its a "family" system, not a "sub-faction" system. CA should depict the different tribes as separate factions whenever possible. Seriously they said 8 playable factions with around 50 or so non playable. The way you are pitching this game it sound like you want there to be 8 factions and rebels!

All they have to do to make a bunch of different tribes is copy-paste the skins from that culture and presto! New factions that aren't as lame as the Rome1 "just glue them all together" approach. I thought we wanted more factions not less!

Quote Originally Posted by Ngazi View Post
    They specifically said there are 8 playable factions in the final game. And Germans should not be one of them. They should be in Barbarian Invasion but not early Rome.
    Why not? Protogermans like the cimbri and teutoni invaded northern italy in republican times, caesar had to handle the Suebes and even used german mercenaries very succesfull. Not to mention the problems they had in augustian times. The original Rome endet with the death of Augustus 14 AD and at this time the Germans were the only neighbour left, besides Parthia. I think it would be worse to let the germans as playable faction out when they were one of two constant enemies of the roman empire over centuries.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Its a "family" system, not a "sub-faction" system. CA should depict the different tribes as separate factions whenever possible. Seriously they said 8 playable factions with around 50 or so non playable. The way you are pitching this game it sound like you want there to be 8 factions and rebels!

All they have to do to make a bunch of different tribes is copy-paste the skins from that culture and presto! New factions that aren't as lame as the Rome1 "just glue them all together" approach. I thought we wanted more factions not less!
    Are you sure that families will not work as sub-factions for some? For example with the Seleucids sub-factions could be used to make Seleucid vassals such as Parthia and Bactria playable from start without making it unhistorical.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

So you would start the game playing as Parthia in Seleucia? Are you the Seleucids or the Parthians? You cant be both. Why not just have the option of playing as the Parthians when they revolt kind of like the civil war mechanic in Empire? The Parthians and Bactrians splitting could be the Seleucid's RD.

Also we should start another thread to continue this discussion. This isn't the thread for it.

Edit: New Thread for the confederacy idea.
    Last edited by RagingCroppy; December 09, 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Comes Limitis

The Cimbri and Teutons made Marius, and Marius made the legions.

Sure bet they will be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately