Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Germans

Default Germans

Should they be playable? And if so, which tribe should represent them?

Default Re: Germans

i think they shouldnt be playable but a bunch of strong tribes in the region ,like rebels but with a government

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I'm fairly certain there will be a Germanic Faction. It will most likely be a Confederation of some sort and we will choose which Tribe within the Confederation to play as. Maybe Alemanni, Teutones, and Marcomani. Something like that.

Argon Viper's Avatar Ducenarius

I think they'll probably do a league representation where you have certain criteria to meet and then the tribes will units. Sort of like the Hanseatic League in the M2TW Kingdoms campaign.

I'd suggest several tribal confederations will be playable, appropriate to startling era.

In my opinion they shouldn't be playable.
    Germanic tribes before 110 BC?
    Kind of emergent faction maybe.

B.t.w. the Alemannii were a tribal confederation relatively late in the AD timeframe of roman power.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

With only 8 playable factions I don't think they should make the cut, the Gauls were pretty scary though.

I'd be surprised if Germans make the cut as a playable faction in 260s BC but surely as a later emergent faction. Gauls as the main barbarian faction but Gauls might range from Cisalpine to Celtiberians to Transalpine Gaul and maybe Boii.

Argon Viper's Avatar Ducenarius

The Gauls were the main tribe with which the Romans had contact in 272 BC, but that doesn't make them the main tribe period. There have always been people in the forests of Germany, and they were pretty similar in 272 BC to what they were in 100 BC. The only reason we think about them as not really being around until later is that the "civilized" peoples who wrote the histories didn't really know about them until then.

I'm guessing Germans will be a DLC faction. There's no way CA won't let you play them, Romans lost some wicked battles against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Argon Viper View Post
    The Gauls were the main tribe with which the Romans had contact in 272 BC, but that doesn't make them the main tribe period. There have always been people in the forests of Germany, and they were pretty similar in 272 BC to what they were in 100 BC. The only reason we think about them as not really being around until later is that the "civilized" peoples who wrote the histories didn't really know about them until then.
    Gauls were not a tribe but people of celtic origin and to be honest in the forests of Germania at 270BC the were still many celtic oppidas.
    Germanic people pushed the celts slowly west- and southwards during this timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariovist View Post
    Gauls were not a tribe but people of celtic origin and to be honest in the forests of Germania at 270BC the were still many celtic oppidas.
    Germanic people pushed the celts slowly west- and southwards during this timeframe.
    Yes and the cimbri and teutones also spoke just a form of proto-germanic which gives a hint when they really arrive and become the germans who stopped the roman expansion in that area.

But i think they should be in, maybe as some backwoodsman in scandinavia at 270 BC. I really convinced CA find a way.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Should they be playable? And if so, which tribe should represent them?
    Well when 8 factions are in the game I say that at least two will be barbarian factions and that are Germans and Gauls most probably.

I would put the Cimbri into the game, because later they formed a confederation with the Teutones and Amburones. And for the Gauls I would go for the Confederation of Arverni.

It would be interesting anyway.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Germans are more important than Gauls after all, I mean the Germans are the guys that in the end conquered the Roman Empire.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Germans are more important than Gauls after all, I mean the Germans are the guys that in the end conquered the Roman Empire.
    I agree, but again I think that they will put at least 2 barbarian factions in the game, and I would have a thought that it would be Germans and Gauls.

Indefinitely Banned

They'll be playable IMO.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

This may come out wrong,but I would rather have a Steppe faction,likely the Sarmatians.

But thatīs just personal preference.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    This may come out wrong,but I would rather have a Steppe faction,likely the Sarmatians.

But thatīs just personal preference.
    sarmatians would be good. an empire from caspian sea to central europe

btw who is the beauty on your sig

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Sarmatians? Nah I rather have Numidians then or Indians...
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    Sarmatians? Nah I rather have Numidians then or Indians...
    Sarmatians are a "true" steppe faction and where invading the lands of the scythians.

As I said before,it would be a shame if not one nomadic faction was playable,as they make for a
    distinct and different gameplay.Also they were always a major factor in history.

@Arcathius of Pontus:Emily Didonato.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast