Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TATW (MOS) Dwarf Campaign with Surrealbeliefs - 1/27

Default Re: TATW (MOS) Dwarf Campaign with Surrealbeliefs - 1/23

@Feanaro - I started episode one on January 27th, 2012. I finished on November 24th of 2012, so it was almost a full year of that campaign. Twenty nine hours total spent but that doesn't include my turns off screen just to move units.

@Wolfeson - I completely agree, especially with how long it takes cities to produce your own units and even travel by ship or otherwise. Of course this is the task you take up by doing a long campaign. A short one is more reasonable. I do think evil in the west needs to be buffed further as they're often wiped out. Evil in my Dwarf campaign is oddly weak and I agreed to all scripts that benefitted them.

The split of Isengard and Dunland probably hurt evil in the west the most.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

--- I've edited this post, cause I think that my initial post was imprudent ---
    I think Ethien invests a huge effort to make these videos and they have a good quality, especially when it comes to commentary.
    Personally there are a few things that I do not completely admire, but his style of speech give it a special character.
    Last edited by YassirX; January 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by YassirX View Post
    I don't want to be harsh, but I just watched two of your episodes and you used toggle_fow. This is basically a "no-Go" for me, why should I watch someone who is obviously cheating in some extend?
    The next thing I realized is that you skipped the army deployment in that episode as well when you fought against the two elven armies... I'm pretty sure you did that to be sure to kill the reinforcements before they arrive at the main army, apparently this is not guaranteed as they spawn randomly on the map, this leads me to the conclusion that you replay your turns/battles until they fit your favor. Seriously, your units are directly deployed at the edge of the map and the enemy reinforcements "directly" spawn at that location, this is not a random situation, this was manipulated by reloading the battle.

In the other episode you had an army which fully consisted of high elven cavalry, which is the strongest standard unit in the game... pretty boring in my opinion.
    Last but not least your difficulty level is not on VH/VH (which is the difficulty on which the game is intended to be played).

...I'm sure there are others who like your lets play's.
    If my assumptions are wrong, feel free to clear things up.
    Who are you to tell someone else which is the proper difficulty to play in? He skips some ''boring" turns [Although some like me like watching kingdom management], he skips the troop deployment for the same reasons, and you can't replay campaign battles.Also, if I remember correctly, he was fighting against the five Saurons then.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    Who are you to tell someone else which is the proper difficulty to play in? He skips some ''boring" turns [Although some like me like watching kingdom management], he skips the troop deployment for the same reasons, and you can't replay campaign battles.Also, if I remember correctly, he was fighting against the five Saurons then.
    This game is meant to be played on VH/VH, you even get greeted with a message when you start a campaign on vanilla 3.2. This message basically says that the player should not use toggle_fow and that the game should be played on VH/VH. This is a logical statement as the game's balancing was based on the VH/VH settings and toggle_fow can break the immersion.
    Last edited by YassirX; January 25, 2013 at 09:07 AM.

This game is meant to be played on VH/VH, you even get greeted with a message when you start a campaign on vanilla 3.2. This message basically says that the player should not use toggle_fow and that the game should be played on VH/VH. This is a logical statement as the game's balancing was based on the VH/VH settings and toggle_fow can break the immersion. You can replay campaign battles by loading an older save, this is possible as the video's are cut off and the Let's Play is not an constant recording.
    If it is meant to be played on that difficulty then why are the other difficulties there? And say I don't want to play with the cheating AI? Who are you to stop me?The toggle_fow is because the fans ask for the map at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    If it is meant to be played on that difficulty then why are the other difficulties there? And say I don't want to play with the cheating AI? Who are you to stop me?The toggle_fow is because the fans ask for the map at the end.
    I don't want to offend anyone, I just posted my personal opinion and that's it.
    There are other difficulties available cause the native medieval 2 UI is used for the game, if I am not completely mistaken it is impossible to disable the difficulty buttons or use custom difficulty settings.

I don't want to offend anyone, I just posted my personal opinion and that's it.
    There are other difficulties available cause the native medieval 2 UI is used for the game, if I am not completely mistaken it is impossible to disable the difficulty buttons or use custom difficulty settings.
    And that same message also says not to use auto-resolve.I do not intend to play a pointless battle because of a message.They are guidelines, not rules.Now let's get this back on topic before a moderator comes down on our posts.
    Last edited by Feanaro Curufinwe; January 30, 2013 at 08:24 AM.

@YassirX - I'll address your concerns in this post. It's your opinion and that is absolutely fine. I don't expect everyone to like my content. It's a blessing that I'm able to entertain people and I enjoy it.

1.) I'm often asked to reveal the entirety of the map and so I do so. I try to make it a point to not look at the borders of my opponents. If I'm up near Eriador and I'm looking at Mordor or Eriador, that isn't an issue.

2.) I skip army deployment because I spend a long time considering how I deploy my military more often than not. Randomly? You can usually see how they're positioned on the strategic map and they'll end up there. Sometimes I'm wrong about it and it happens to hilarious results.

3.) My High Elven campaign lasted for near thirty hours over the course of ten months. I had fought countless battles from Eriador to Mordor. That stack was just for fun. After I used my general to take Minas Tirith, that army was retired. I figured it would be an epic battle at Pelennor Fields when I fought Sauron for the first time. This reminded fans of Rohan in the book and movie coming to save Gondor.

4.) I know what difficulty this modification is meant to be played. You have to understand that I have to play differently than I would alone. This is in order to keep the campaign at a brisk pace. In Youtube analytics you can see the average time someone views a video. If I was to play as I did alone, then it would move at a snail's pace and many people would skip through it more. In addition to that, the repetition of fighting long battles and endless stacks isn't appealing. Even at the pace I set for my High Elf campaign, it took me ten months to finish it.

I hope I addressed your concerns.

Default Re: TATW (MOS) Dwarf Campaign with Surrealbeliefs - 1/27

Episode twenty-one is now up. The Elves of Lorien are hilariously powerful but I think in the next episode or two I'll be able to shut them down and use their woods for something more productive like pipes and kegs for ale!

Hey Eithien! I'd first like to say how much I've enjoyed your videos ! Before I saw them I was a M2TW fan but now my interest in total war games and especially TATW has exploded! So thank you!

I haven't played that much third age total war yet because I'm currently 180 turns into a French campaign where I'm am just reaching the Aztecs. But when I Finnish I am looking forward to playing TATW. Recently I've spent many hours on these forms trying to decide things like what faction I will play and why strategy I will use However I've noticed that King Kong is relatively inactive in these forms now and no buddy knows if there will be a further version of this mod released so I wanted to ask you:

Do you recommend me downloading the MOS sub mod you are currently using in your dwarven campaign?

Of the options you get first turn, what ones do you like to play with and what ones do you think are not so great?

Any response to this post would be greatly appreciated

Hi there!
    I just watched some of your vids an hour ago, great work

I have a question, though; I see a lot of units that I don't have in my 3.2 version; you said you're using MOS, but I'd like to just have those with the extra units (and maybe also those with the random missions) Could you please tell me which of the mini-mods do that?

Miles

Are the videos gone?

I believe he had to take some of this Third Age stuff down due to rampant copyright claims.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123