Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tsardoms Total War - FACTION PREVIEW: Principality of Moldova

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - FACTION PREVIEW: Principality of Moldova

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    but I always though these well ornamented fancy clothes were generally for special days and not for daily wearing, am I wrong ?
    No, you're right. From what I know, fancy clothes(vlach national folk costume) were 1. very rare to low class peasants; 2. generally for special days to free class peasants ; 3.in in a higher percentage for free people which had properties and for low level boyars.
    Last edited by escho; December 11, 2012 at 02:00 PM.

Then even though they look beautiful, these combatant villagers shouldn't wear them I guess ?

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

I think so too. Unless, of course, someone can support the argument that the Moldavian peasants had the custom to go to battle in their best clothes, f.e. so they can die and be buried while looking relatively good. I think I've actually seen such an argument before, though can't remember how serious was it and for which culture... In any case, those are not marching clothes and if the peasants would've carried them to war, they would've dressed them only before the battle itself. Though I think they wouldn't have worn them at all, unless they were utterly rich or crazy. Heck, even in the early 20th century peasants went to war with more miserable clothing here, although they could afford "Sunday clothes" better.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

exactly my thinking

SHREDDER's Avatar Creator CoW, TATW, WF&S

Good job

Add to credits "Rusichi" .
    And a tip - some units disproportionately large head
    3Dmodeller for Call of Warhammer Third Age With Fire and Sword 2 Hetmanat

Bes
    t Ukrainian site and forum Sich TotalWarS totalwar.fun/board/

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    I think so too. Unless, of course, someone can support the argument that the Moldavian peasants had the custom to go to battle in their best clothes, f.e. so they can die and be buried while looking relatively good. I think I've actually seen such an argument before, though can't remember how serious was it and for which culture... In any case, those are not marching clothes and if the peasants would've carried them to war, they would've dressed them only before the battle itself. Though I think they wouldn't have worn them at all, unless they were utterly rich or crazy. Heck, even in the early 20th century peasants went to war with more miserable clothing here, although they could afford "Sunday clothes" better.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqMo2zrl-hU

Here is a pretty famous Romanian film depicting peasants and peasant life in Transylvania during the period of Austro-Hungarian rule. Maybe it is somewhat romanticized but they tend to wear their nice fancy traditional clothing in most if not all situations ranging from weddings, celebrations, to 'working the sand'. Around the 3:02 mark they even start getting it on in a muddy corn field)
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Well its a film after all, its quite normal for them to show villagers with their best known nice clothes(especially in a movie that relies on national matters/nationalism) instead of ordinary raggish clothes.

I mean I was looking this movie on TW from Yugoslavia right before the WWII, showing peasants going to city for the first town, and also movies from the last war in Bosnia, and I see there folks in villages usualy dont wear fancy clothes. Right the opposite actualy.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Basically, those types of clothes are like the medieval equivalent of this - some people wear them for everyday occasions (usually rich folk), some might even get into fights with them, but ordinary people would use them only for special occasions. In the medieval times, such occasions would be Sundays (going to church), weddings, funerals, market days/fairs etc etc. They could also wear them in battles, but that would be due to some eventual cultural peculiarity - namely, that if they were to die, they would do so with style (and poor people rarely care so much about style). Of course, if they're rich enough, that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Well said! I really like the way you explained it.

If the Oastea Mare were to be summoned by the Voivode, then little Moldova would have seriously been in trouble from the Hungarians, Tatars, or Ottomans. For those who care, it would be impetus enough to put on their best clothes)
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

But I guess we don't know if they had such a tradition.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Honestly, as I have mentioned before I do not believe those clothes to be fancy at all. If anything they could be the better clothes of the serfs, or as someone mentioned their Sunday clothes. Also note that the serfs from the Danubian principalities were not as destitute in the XIV-XVth centuries. They could move around from estate to estate until they found the best place for them and they received a part of the work they did on the boyar's plots. As such they could afford to weave some good clothes for themselves. When they worked the land more likely than not they would have worn their worst raggy clothes. When they would present themselves in front of their commanders when the Great Hoast was summoned surely they would have had their best clothes on but would have taken their raggy clothes for marching and for heavy work. For the purpose of the mod the clothes they have are historical and fit just fine I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by SHREDDER View Post
    Good job

Add to credits "Rusichi" .
    And a tip - some units disproportionately large head
    Thank you. That was a mishap, preview was really rushed, credits will be updated ASAP.

Then Romanian peasants must had been a lot more richer than Croatian ones...

Sir.Cojocarius's Avatar Civis

Wow! Great love to see that you still working on this mod! I've been waiting for two years for this mod honestly. Keep it up!

sven18's Avatar Civis

Can we see a preview of Moldova on the map?(castles,cities,monastyres)

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Sorry we can't show that since that part of the map is not finished yet. Currently the mapping is focused on Anatolia. But it will get there at one point rest assured.

this is good !
    GoodLuck guys ...

this is good !
    GoodLuck guys ...

Bagatyr's Avatar Campidoctor

Some of the units it seems have very funy armour like made from larpers .I may be wrong but it looks quite strange for some of the units

Sir.Cojocarius's Avatar Civis

Damn this preview looks great!! Really want to play this so badly now! Keep up the good work

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast