5 22.73%

11 50.00%

Thread: [Tech Products] avast free antivirus

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Default [Tech Products] avast free antivirus

Name - Avast free antivirus
    Company - Avast
    Price - Free, eg 0 nok
    Intro - I needed a free antivirus software, and heard about avast from a friend. I specifically needed a free antivirus so got this instead of norman or norton. and i was greatly satisfied with it, it being free is an added bonus.

Features:
    - Real time shields, which protect your pc from threats both externally and internally.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- Easy to use system scan, of varying intensity and area

- Constant updating multiple times a day, making your system safer.
    - Community iq makes it constant aware of the latest threats

- A specific avast feature would be the sandbox option, when you open an application avast is unsure about, you can open it in sandbox, preventing it from doing any harm to your system while still functioning.

- Avast webrep is an application you can get for your browser, where you get a meter telling how well and accessible the websites are for virus and threats. Im not sure how efficient this is, as it shows twc with 2/3 score

Pros -
    - The scanning of viruses are easliy integated in your second mouse click, allowing for quick scanning of single files and folder, ive found this particularly useful when downloading mods or oter things from the internet, as you can never be sure it is safe.
    - All the features are easily accessed and integrated into your GUI.

Cons -
    - BUT avast does make it easy, it loves telling you when it is updating, thankfully it doesnt interrupt fullscreen applications(but can interrupt fullscreen videos), but it will tell you each time, this might happen many times a day. This will be accompanied with an annoying sound, last year it also had a woman tellin you it was updated, this has thankfully been removed.
    - There are multiple versions of avast, all of which are great, but only one is free(i use it) and it doesnt have all the features of the others, but it protects againist all viruses and spyware, and that is what an antivirus is designed for.

Conclusion - Avast is an awesome antivirus software, having tried norman, norton and mcafee antivirus before i vastly prefer avast, more user friendly and reliable.
    for my two last pces i uninstalled the preinstalled antivirus software and installed avast, vastly prefer it.

you can get it at avast.com
    Last edited by Makrell; November 23, 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [computer software] avast free antivirus

Nice Makrell!

I use the free Avira version, from what I read by you now the free versions more or less match eachother. Have you made any experiences with Avira and if so, what do you personally think is the better program, Avira or Avast?

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    - BUT avast does make it easy, it loves telling you when it is updating, thankfully ti doesnt interrupt fullscreen applications(but can interrupt fullscreen videos), but it will tell you each time, this might happen many times a day. This will be accompanied with an annoying sound, last year it also had a woman tellin you it was updated, this has thankfully been removed.
    I use avast and like it, but I agree that the constant notifications can be annoying.

I use Avast and it works brilliantly for me, I think I've only had one little virus in the two years that I've had this laptop and I've been using Avast the entire time. I also use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware because Avast can be a bit slow for running system scans and this had great reviews.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I too use avast and love it. What is the poll scale though? I assume #5 means you rate it the highly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Nice Makrell!

I use the free Avira version, from what I read by you now the free versions more or less match eachother. Have you made any experiences with Avira and if so, what do you personally think is the better program, Avira or Avast?
    i have never had any experience with avira, but have multiple friends who use avg(also free) and all of these are good antivirus programs
    Avast has the most uses though iirc, which means it potentially are more updated and "safer" but the difference is probably minuscle

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    I too use avast and love it. What is the poll scale though? I assume #5 means you rate it the highly.
    5 is goodygood

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Wow thanks for the review Makrell. I gave it 5/5, I sue it and love it. I've got the free trial of the paid version, and whilst there are some added features I've survived x number of years with the free version, and it works fine - never had a problem with it - so I won't be upgrading.

Oh and I have a score of 3/3 for TWC.

Added to the index.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Default Re: [Tech Products] avast free antivirus

I highly recommend avast and I highly recommend going into your settings and turning off the sound.

America125's Avatar Civis

its ok but not my fav

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Avira has the same stupid notifications thing... I use avast on a different PC, it's working great.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Avira was really annoying, once, because a Brazilian lady suddenly popped up in my speakers, in their trademark sexy voice, saying "your virus database is outdated: update it now".

I have no idea what prompted to try that notification mechanism. Fortunately they ended up fixing it.

Switched from AVG to Avast close to three years ago, never had any problems with it. Wouldn't go back to AVG for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKYA View Post
    Switched from AVG to Avast close to three years ago, never had any problems with it. Wouldn't go back to AVG for the world.
    that is pretty interesting, as as i know and have seen AVG and Avast are quite similar and both are good, why use avast over avg, as you have used both and chose avast?

Menumorut's Avatar Ducenarius

I was a big fan for BitDefender because at the moment BitDefender(Made in Romania) is NO:1 in the world and second place is Kaspersky(Made in Russia) according with many other review websites as Linky or Linky

At the moment these two are the best free antivirus:
    AVG AntiVirus FREE 2013. http://free.avg.com/eu-en/free-antivirus-download
    Avast! Internet Security. http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

I use AVG AntiVirus FREE 2013.

»MY GRAPHIC WORKSHOP« UNDER THE PARONAGE OF G☼D HIMSELF »MY ROMEII FAN ART«

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

I had BitDefender but that had some problem, I don't recollect off-hand what it was but it was a known issue and their recommendation was to downgrade so that I switched to Avast. Avast is very good except the sandbox - I had a problem with Chrome, it would never let me do anything unless I ran outside of the sandbox which defeated the purpose. It wasn't a big issue as I use Opera most of the time anyway but it also did not sandbox that well, It may work with IE but I never use IE so who knows.

I have switched to Microsoft Security Essentials which is is also seamless, updates regularly and has run smoothly since I installed it. Gave Avast a 3/5 as I'm not sure it is as clean as MSE.

Am using Bit Defender ATM.
    but, i have used this before, and i must say it was worth it.
    if i have to go back to it i would.
    But, i got used to Bit defender.

Spoiler for King of Persia
    ᴀʟʟ ʜᴀɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴋɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴋɪɴɢs