Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Mettle Blades and Skill **BETA ver 005 12tpy RELEASED 30May**

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

Default Features Preview

Some of you maybe have not seen some of the features in previews I have posted so here's some more pics of those features in game...

TROM incorporated
    I have got TROM as the mod base file. All of the CAI, Events, Missions, Dilemmas, and Techs are all TROM. I do not claim any credit for this mod and I have deliberately left it as a separate pack file to make sure that people don't confuse my work with TROM. The best feature from TROM (in my opinion) is the tech tree. I have a fully functioning TROM tech tree in MBS!

Region Specialties
    As you may have seen on the first post in this thread, I have claimed that you can change a region's special resource (Rspec) at any time during the game. Well, I have attached two pics showing all of the choices that you can select from and I chose the craft specialty in my example game. Not all regions can change their Rspec however. Some regions have an "uncommon Rspec" meaning that region has only the one that it starts the game with. The uncommon Rspecs are:

Horse Breeders
    Holy Sites
    Gold Mine
    Iron Mine
    Ninja
    Naval Tradition (Merchant Colony & Pirate chain)

If a region has one of these Rspec then you are stuck with them. All other Rspecs you can change anytime during the game.

Vassal System
    The Vassal System in vanilla TWS2 is broken IMO. What I did was assign vassal units to each province. When you defeat an enemy, don't make him a vassal, just occupy the region (like most people do anyway) and you will have access to all the vassal units available from that clan that owned the region before you.

These units are capped and are not very high leveled but they can give you a garrison for your new addition. Some Organizational Systems (OS) in my mod give you more vassals than others so don't feel bad if you don't get good ones or none at all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TROM Techs.jpg   Region Specialize.jpg   Craft Specialty.jpg   A win.jpg   Vassals after win.jpg  

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Mettle Blades and Skill

Goood! +rep

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Features Preview

Impressive ! Not only the amount of work to achieve it, but the organisational skill to make it coherent !

This vassal system is much more accurate indeed. With S2 it's like "tabula rasa" with each new province conquest. Former vassals being erased and replaced by brand new one in 4 months time. When you know the attachment the lower samurais had for their lands and crop it makes no sense !

And you're not the only one who never finished a S2 campaign, I'm always bored in the middle.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Campidoctor

Nice! Nothing wrong with taking time for testing, in fact it's welcome. Everything's looking great, can't wait to get my hands on it when the time comes.

Regarding community mods that might be interesting to incorporate, have you taken a look at this one?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...d-Otomo-Sorin)

Nevermind the beautifully rendered faction leaders and graphical wonders of it, but that sitting generals deal with the guards kneeling and whatnot seems right up your mod's alley with regard to historical authenticity and roleplaying such characters instead of using them as battle units. I know I'd be super crazy excited to see it be part of this project.

You mean this... it was pretty simple to implement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hojo sitting.jpg   Man sitting.jpg   Unit sitting.jpg  

Campidoctor

You beautiful bastard.

Oh I've been meaning to ask, how do the ai factions handle all the unit restrictions/protocols/etc? What kind of unit compositions do they end up with, do they attack and use those units that aren't meant for such tasks haphazardly?

I have adapted TROM's CAI and BAI into my mod for all units. So far it looks like the AI acts the same way as it does in TROM.

I tried placing a higher value on the Kashindan and Hatamoto units so the AI doesn't suicide them but of course there will be alot of balancing going on during the Alpha and Beta tests. You (and the community's) input on this part will be very much appreciated.

TROM also has a decent stack balance and that has been copied over into MBS so the AI recruits stacks the same way as in TROM.

I do plan to make a Darthmod version as a basefile too that can allow a player to switch between a TROM and Darth AI.
    That is a future plan though but not in the first release.

There was a unique challenge I had to overcome with the Peasant cast of units. Since vanilla doesn't have them and no other mod has a peasant caste either, I had to change them from ashigaru to "special" caste. The AI seems to recruit them just fine. Most stacks I have come against in the early game have been peasant armies so it is looking good.
    Last edited by Hazbones; April 14, 2013 at 06:38 PM.

Campidoctor

I haven't played TROM myself so I don't have a point of reference, but it sounds great and indeed we'll have feedback for you to help with that. Another thing I'll be interested to see is the amount of units and stacks roaming around. I'm of the 'less stacks = more decisive battles' mindset and enjoy limited recruitment based mods, and this seems like it could provide such an experience with the recruitment system. My mouth is watering sir!

If you like the "more decisive battles" then you'll love MBS. I have slowed down the battles so that you can actually see what's going on now.
    Nothing is more fun than killing the family unit of your enemy too!

I think I have balanced things enough with the way the mod is set up.
    Each unit caste (Ashigaru, Samurai, Hatamoto, and Kashindan) all require the following:

A region specialty building (the Military OS does not require this)
    A resource
    A secondary recruitment building (required game mechanic needed to pin the unit to the region)

There are 2 unit castes which do not require anything except a single recruitment building:

Mercs (available on the Stealth Chain)
    Religious Forces (available on the Buddhist, Ikko, or Christian chains)

Peasants (available on the farming chain) require cotton resource to recruit the lot of them but there are some freebies in there you'll see just by building certain levels of farms.

Because of the amount of time it takes to get all the required pieces in place to recruit a unit, you won't see massive stacks roaming around...
    NOTE: I have been seeing some big stacks in my testing but those are peasant armies with a little mix of mercs and religious units in them. The peasant units are big but VERY weak and a samurai unit can mow through one like butter. The merc and religious units are tougher but very small units that cannot fight for long before they break.

Every faction starts with virtually the same starting forces (with a few mission exceptions). Basically, you are forced to play with peasants (which was my goal) until you get your economy and recruitment buildings constructed.

Campidoctor

Beautiful. Are there unit limit restrictions as well? I found those to be very effective to this end, what better way to make sure there aren't too many units of any particular type than to impose a limit. For example when it comes to merc units and such which are easier or earlier to recruit, there could be a chance of imbalance if they can have at them as they please, but with restrictions in place a few will be mixed in with all the peasants in play. Anyway, just thinking out loud here, anxious to see for myself so conjecturing and projecting I guess. Keep us posted on how testing goes if you would!

Very good news, your mod is going to revive the interest in shogun 2 for lot's of players I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    Beautiful. Are there unit limit restrictions as well? I found those to be very effective to this end, what better way to make sure there aren't too many units of any particular type than to impose a limit. For example when it comes to merc units and such which are easier or earlier to recruit, there could be a chance of imbalance if they can have at them as they please, but with restrictions in place a few will be mixed in with all the peasants in play. Anyway, just thinking out loud here, anxious to see for myself so conjecturing and projecting I guess. Keep us posted on how testing goes if you would!
    There are 4 OS to choose from. The Vassal OS has unit caps but the rest of them do not. The Vassal OS is limited because of the nature of the organization, the daimyo is trying to control all parts of his armies and doesn't trust newcomers to lead units. For this reason his span of control limits how many units he can effectively lead.

The mercs and religious units are capped as well. The numbers FOR EACH REGION are as follows:

Merc & Religious Peasants = (4 units) for each weapon class
    Merc & Religious Ashigaru = (3 units) for each weapon class
    Merc & Religious Samurai = (2 units) for each weapon class
    Merc & Religious Cavalry = (1 unit) for each weapon class

The regular units (of the Provincial & Clan OS) are not capped but the region specialty only allows you to focus on training a single class of weapon.
    *The Military OS is not limited by the region specialty buildings. They only require specific resources.

Sorry guys,

With all that has been going on this week, I never got a chance to play my mod for testing.
    I will continue to work on it but I don't think there will be a release this weekend. I have got too much to do in RL.

dowdpride's Avatar Decanus

Man, this mod is going to be awesome! I cannot wait to check out all these super cool features you have added in Hazbones. This looks to me to be one of the best shogun 2 mods out there when it releases.

Quote Originally Posted by dowdpride View Post
    Man, this mod is going to be awesome! I cannot wait to check out all these super cool features you have added in Hazbones. This looks to me to be one of the best shogun 2 mods out there when it releases.
    Thanks

I have played through most of a campaign but still haven't got to finish one.
    I have a laundry list of things I have found during my alpha gameplay that I will be correcting over the weekend. It should be ready for Beta after that.

dowdpride's Avatar Decanus

happy to help with any testing or bug hunting if you need it! The sooner we get this epicness the better! Out of curiosity, (and I know this is a long away question) will you be doing anything to FOTS or ROTS after?
    Last edited by dowdpride; April 26, 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks for the offer but right now I have so many bugs noted from my own testing that it has already pushed the release back a few days.
    Version 1 will still have issues when released which is why I will start with a public Beta to see if we can collectively find and squash them based upon which ones you guys think needs attention first.

I don't own ROTS or FOTS. It has taken me 6 months just to do this mod for vanilla TWS2 so I don't think I will work on an MBS mod for the expansion packs.
    I will release this mod and probably spend the remainder of my time working on bug reports and further revisions up until Rome II is released
    That should not stop the community though from doing their own submods for MBS (ROTS or FOTS).

Once you see how much time is required to make changes it will definitely scare away the faint of heart! Basically MBS has made an individual mod for each region in the game. You can imagine what kind of work must be done when an error is discovered and you have to do the fix for every region on the map!

I am working on it though and all we can do is hope it goes without any more bugs popping up.

Campidoctor

Your effort, both in creating the mod in the first place and now the testing and bugfixing before even a beta, is very much appreciated. Thank you good sir!

Ganbatte Hazbones! I'm getting quite excited for this