Thread: confus about strategic resources

CrazyShadowDami's Avatar Civis

Default confus about strategic resources

how do i make them?

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: confus about strategic resources

SRs are defined in the folder "common" (you can put as many effects in as you want; anything that can go into a strategic effect can go into an SR). After you define them you need to create a localization for them (see Motherland.csv for examples). You place them in the province files (grab the HOI3 position editor tool if you can; it's perfect for map editing). Finally, you can edit the icons in the folder gfx/strategic_resources.

CrazyShadowDami's Avatar Civis

lol, u kinda misunderstood me, i was asking how do you make them in game xD. but anyway, now you explained it to me that they are made in provinces. i made a little "rubber" windows search, and several provinces turned out. now i wanna do some modding... can you put 2 or more stratresors (i just made up a new word) in a single province?

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

I don't know, never tried it. I do know that you can add SRs through events (this means you can unlock SRs through technology by using the tech levels as a trigger for an event that creates an SR), and you can tie strategic effects to ownership of an SR. Let's say for example you want a SR that can be bombed, but you don't want it to be shared with other countries (something like major shipyards fit this description; it doesn't make sense for France to benefit from the UK's shipyards, but you want the UK to benefit from the SR). What you'd do is create an SR that provides no bonus, then create an SE that provides the bonus you want and is triggered by having the SR. This let's only the UK benefit from its shipyards, but Germany can bomb the shipyard to remove the bonus or even gain the bonus if it captures the SR.

With TFH you can also tie units to triggers, so you can do things like restrict battleship construction to whether a nation owns a shipyard SR or has a level 10 port. Lots of possibilities here; this feature is pretty powerful once you understand what it can do and how it ties with the rest of the game. It's too bad that Paradox used SRs for such simple things that don't really make sense (horses? really?), because you can do so much more with strategic resources.