Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: V4 Questions

Default Re: V4 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    Almost never happens, M2TW diplomacy AI sucks. Actually all TW diplomacy AI sucks, Nappy is the only game I've ever played that got it remotely right.

Also, found Burgher Pikemen in the files, I believe you have to have the top city barracks to recruit them. Not sure why.
    I do believe that if you're around an allied army when you or it gets attacked, you fight the enemy togheter. So I guess there's that heh. But yeah alliances are mostly easiest to make at the start of the game unless you're being a good guy, releasing prisoners etc... (but who does that). And don't expect them to do anything except not attacking you (which sometimes, they can't even do that, backstabbing bastards!). Oh well, such is life when playing TW.

Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I've found that in strategy games (most noticeably CKII) the best way to give yourself a challenge is to do your best to be an actual normal human being instead of a colossal psychopathic douchebiscuit.

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Roboto View Post
    I do believe that if you're around an allied army when you or it gets attacked, you fight the enemy togheter. So I guess there's that heh. But yeah alliances are mostly easiest to make at the start of the game unless you're being a good guy, releasing prisoners etc... (but who does that). And don't expect them to do anything except not attacking you (which sometimes, they can't even do that, backstabbing bastards!). Oh well, such is life when playing TW.
    In my last (vanilla, no diplomatic mod) game, I was playing the Holy Roman Empire. Took about 4-5 rebel provinces, so the country was from Hamburg to Innsbruck, from Metz to Prague, with Bologna and Florence. (normal looking HRE)
    I made alliance with France, Poland and the Pope, they never attacked me.
    Since I didn't even declare war (joining a crusade does that automaticaly), my reputation was soon immaculate.

No backstabs, dependable allies, peaceful improvment.

This was the most boring TW game, ever.

[off]challenge-wise, what usually helps is to simply avoid blitzing every rebel province. You are able to get like 3-4 extra provinces in 5 turns, while the AI gets maybe 1. This early blitz is greatly responsible for late game boredom[/off]

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    I've found that in strategy games (most noticeably CKII) the best way to give yourself a challenge is to do your best to be an actual normal human being instead of a colossal psychopathic douchebiscuit.
    Meh, for me TW games are best when I can build up a huge empire + army and destroy my enemies withouth mercy, giving me, the player, a huge sense of power and sick, twisted enjoyment. In the same way some historical leaders/dictators must have felt like. And in the case of Thera, I can be a total jerkcookie against the Uruks with the Romuli. And that's not even roleplaying as being evil (seen from a Romuli standpoint ofc). All in all, I like my enemies to be a bit tough, but no so that I have to use all units, resources in a huge fight for survival just to stay alive. I like a fight, but eventually I want to conquer and deal some sweet payback.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Roboto View Post
    Meh, for me TW games are best when I can build up a huge empire + army and destroy my enemies withouth mercy, giving me, the player, a huge sense of power and sick, twisted enjoyment. In the same way some historical leaders/dictators must have felt like. And in the case of Thera, I can be a total jerkcookie against the Uruks with the Romuli. And that's not even roleplaying as being evil (seen from a Romuli standpoint ofc). All in all, I like my enemies to be a bit tough, but no so that I have to use all units, resources in a huge fight for survival just to stay alive. I like a fight, but eventually I want to conquer and deal some sweet payback.
    I prefer role playing as Greystoke privateers against theworld (Christan, non Christan, they all get the sword)

Quote Originally Posted by FPSlover View Post
    I prefer role playing as Greystoke privateers against theworld (Christan, non Christan, they all get the sword)
    And rightly so, because no faction trusts pirates. Too bad they don't have heavily armoured strong units, so they have to do hit and run type of attacks. But hey, that's what being a pirate is all about, so I love it!

I wanted to do that, until I discovered that my PC can't even bear to look at the Privateers for the awesomeness.

A question: I want to change the machine gun arrow towers (you know what I'm talking about) back to vanilla. I know I have to change descr_walls.txt with the vanilla values. But I see some other things have been changed too besides the tower fire rate. Would going back to the original fire rate cause imbalances or something? Or am I safe to alter all the fire rate values?

I'm not really aware of any of those changes personally, what changed? If you'll indulge my curiosity. Of course, much of that may be due to not actually playing Vanilla for four or maybe five years now. My suggestion would be to edit to your heart's content and hang the balance, but I've ruined the balance of lots of mods with that mentality. Not that I care, still fun. Actually moreso. The only thing, were I to hazard a guess, that editing that could hurt would be the survival of less melee-oriented factions. For example, if a unit of Meso troops held a fort and a unit of uruks attacked, the arrows could held the Meso actually hold the place against uruks that would slaughter them without missiles softening them up. I dunno, Thera is really well balanced. F you're the sort who is concerned with balance, I wouldn't do it unless I wanted to do a lot of extensive testing and tweaking. If you're like me and just want to have fun and screw balance, I'd say go for it.
    Last edited by Agamemnon; June 23, 2014 at 07:04 PM.

Well I don't want to imbalance the AI, so changing the fire rate would probably fornicate up that. Oh well, gotta live with the fact that my men will be shot to crap .
    Last edited by Comrade Roboto; June 24, 2014 at 01:17 PM.

Well we wouldn't want the AI to feel violated, they might sue for sexual assault.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Is there a list off all units in the game that gives you some details and background about them?

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Bulk View Post
    Is there a list off all units in the game that gives you some details and background about them?
    Not to my knowledge. I guess the closest thing would just be the unit descriptions really. So either just read them in game, or have a look at this text file which should have them all in...
    ...mods\theraV4\data\text\export_units.txt

Ok thanks

Questions
    1. How do you make races? Some settle Menes have I think races. Yearly, monthly or daily. How you get them what are and what they do?

2. Do you ever have a king, heir, family member or general that reaches the age of 65 or older?

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Bulk View Post
    Questions
    1. How do you make races? Some settle Menes have I think races. Yearly, monthly or daily. How you get them what are and what they do?

2. Do you ever have a king, heir, family member or general that reaches the age of 65 or older?
    1. Some of the factions can build race tracks. It's only the ones from the middle_eastern, saxons, greek cultures, so I guess the Islamic factions, the Romuli, and whoever the Saxons are in this. It's just a little bonus for those factions really.

2. I think so. I seem to remember having a king get into his 70s before, but I would've thought there's a limit somewhere around that sort of age.

Yeah i have so many die young 56, 58, 55 one reached 61 that's it

Saxons are the Uruk Dominion IIRC.

Going off the race track question, is there any benefit to Christian Cultures if a track is built in a city you've conquered? Or should I just demolish it for revenue?
    Last edited by LuckyPistol; August 02, 2014 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Going off the race track question, is there any benefit to Christian Cultures if a track is built in a city you've conquered? Or should I just demolish it for revenue?
    Hmm, the big question here is: If I conquer a building that I can't build, do I still get its benefits? I remember there being a thread about it on the main M2 forum, and I think you don't get the benefit. I could be wrong though because withouth finding the thread I don't know for sure.