Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modders' Resource - New general name lists - Hundreds of new names for Rohan, Eriador, Dunland, Dale/Rhovanion, Rhun/Khand, Umbar/Black Numenoreans

Default Modders' Resource - New general name lists - Hundreds of new names for Rohan, Eriador, Dunland, Dale/Rhovanion, Rhun/Khand, Umbar/Black Numenoreans

Mike Golf and I were discussing this earlier and I thought it would be nice to share with everyone here:

The attached .txt file contains lists of lore appropriate names that I have been using for my faction enrichment submods. These will allow much greater variety and atmosphere to your submods, so you have generals with names that are less likely to be repeated over and over and which retain the appropriate linguistic roots of the cultures upon which JRRT modeled the poeples of Middle-earth.

Includes:

- over 400 new names for TATW generals
    - Old Gaelic names for Dunlending generals
    - Old Gothic names for Rhovannic/Dale generals
    - Old Mongolian names for Rhun/Khand generals
    - Adunaic names for Umbarean/Black Numenorean generals

Second File Includes:
    - Old English names for Rohan generals
    - Middle English names for Eriador generals

You should be able to simply copy and paste from these lists, into the relevant files in your data folder and reformat as needed.

EDIT: Added formatted files (FOR VANILLA TATW 3.2!)in the attached Spice Master's Mannish Names.rar. To use, download, backup, and extract to your data folder. You should be able to just drop this in to vanilla TATW 3.2 as is. Not compatible with any submod that effects the files descr_names.txt or text/names.txt.

Consider this a gift to the modding community, so please feel free to do with these as you wish. No need for permission of any sort.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Spice Master; April 06, 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Default Re: Modders' Resource: New general name lists

That was quick brother!

SirEyeball's Avatar Miles

Let me be the first from the mod user community to say thx then
    I watch and Learn

When I get through with adding all the names I will post some files here with the Numenorean punctuation added.

Stylix's Avatar MOS Team Member

Thank you for the additional names, they sure were needed!
    MOS v1.6.2+ Bug fixer 30 Dec 2013

Jabberjaw's Avatar Libertus

Quick Qs:

In the descr_names text file [I assume this is the one referred to], which M2TW faction represents each TATW faction?

Also, once we copy/paste the names, do they all need to be in alpha order?

And does this create conflicts with other existing installed mods?

Be careful you will also need to update the descr_names, descr_names_lookup and the "names" file in the text folder. For the names in the "names" file you will need to put all the newly added names in brackets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GOLF View Post
    Be careful you will also need to update the descr_names, descr_names_lookup and the "names" file in the text folder. For the names in the "names" file you will need to put all the newly added names in brackets as well.
    Hmm... Being new to actually altering files myself rather than installing others' mods, this looks like becoming rather tricky.

Wouldn't providing updated files on this page to copy/replace in the folders [or some sort of intaller/overwriter] help? I am not sure if this is a big ask or not...

He is just providing the raw resource for modders to use.

That's right. Anyone who's not sure how to use these already has two options: 1) Learn how to mod. It's fun and not to difficult to get into, especially with all the great folks and resources on the TWC forums. 2) Wait for modders to start release mods that incorporate these additional names (including mine ). I doubt you'll have to wait long since some of the best TATW submodders have already taken notice of this resource.
    Last edited by Spice Master; November 13, 2012 at 07:35 PM.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Cool! Thanks man! +rep

Second attached file in OP added, with list of Old English names for Rohhiric generals and Middle English names for Eriedain generals.

Default Re: Modders' Resource - New general name lists - Hundreds of new names for Rohan, Eriador, Dunland, Dale/Rhovanion, Rhun/Khand, Umbar/Black Numenoreans

Here are the files needed to bring all human factions up to 50-60+ males and 50+ females. I only added punctuation for the Numenoreans of Umbar. If others would like to add punctuation where needed this website is a good resource: http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/i...s/codealt.html .
    For Rhun I added 20-25 of the Mongolian names and about that many Persian ones. All the female names for Rhun are Persian or Arabic in origin. Plus a few Dalian female names to represent those females left behind because their menfolk were slaughtered.

I did not come remotely close to adding all the names due to time constraints and too much alcohol consumption. I only added female names for Rohan as their roster is pretty full of males already and most likely the names will not all be cycled through in a standard game anyway unless you are really good at getting your generals whacked on a consistent basis. For Eriador I added many Anorian names previously, seemed rather odd that after the Arnor Union that all the sudden they would remember all the older names, so I included many of them from the Arnor list.
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; November 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM.

Got it - thanks for the heads up...

Default Re: Modders' Resource - New general name lists - Hundreds of new names for Rohan, Eriador, Dunland, Dale/Rhovanion, Rhun/Khand, Umbar/Black Numenoreans

Nice work Mike. I'll be adding lists of female names for wifes/princesses also.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Master View Post
    Nice work Mike. I'll be adding lists of female names for wifes/princesses also.
    Sweet! Here is an updated names list that will be in the next MOS release, in addition to the previous names list above, this one includes @40 Dwarven male names and @25 Dwarven female names. All names where known have the appropriate Dwarvish accents that will show up in game.
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; November 17, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks for this, PCP really needs new names. I made a bunch of my own but I reuse them for multiple factions. I will post them here if anyone wants them.

Does having two names for "Ash" (one for male and one for female I assume) cause a bug? Or is it even necessary?
    Last edited by alreadyded; December 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

That would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Thanks for this, PCP really needs new names. I made a bunch of my own but I reuse them for multiple factions. I will post them here if anyone wants them.

Does having two names for "Ash" (one for male and one for female I assume) cause a bug? Or is it even necessary?
    I do not believe that it should be a problem at all provided that the name is in both male and female lists in the descr_names for whatever faction you are working with. You can also feminize the name: Ashe or change the spelling: Asch.
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; December 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

Also, the descr_names_lookup.txt is not required right? Isn't that just for RTW?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Orcs/Creatures/Evil; (from Black Speech mostly)

{Agh}Agh
    {Aga}Agâ
    {Uga}Ugâ
    {Batuluk}Batulûk
    {Bagronk}Bagronk
    {Bubhosh}Búbhosh
    {Burz}Bûrz
    {Burzum}Burzûm
    {Durbat}Dûrbat
    {Ghash}Ghâsh
    {Gimb}Gimb
    {Gimbat}Gimbât
    {Gimbatul}Gimbatûl
    {Grim}Grim
    {Grimbut}Grimbût
    {Ishi}Ishi
    {Skai}Skâi
    {Sha}Shâ
    {Shakh}Shakh
    {Thrak}Thrak
    {Thrakat}Thrakât
    {Thrakatuluk}Thrâkatulûk
    {Uuk}Uûk
    {Auk}Aûk
    {Uak}Uâk
    {Ouk}Oûk
    {Uok}Uok
    {Uur}Uûr
    {Uurk}Uûrk
    {Uurz}Uûrz
    {Amal}Amâl
    {Bangronk}Bangronk
    {Bugd}Bûgd
    {Burgu}Bûrgu
    {Burz}Bûrz
    {Urzum}Urzûm
    {Buub}Buûb
    {Durb}Dûrb
    {Durub}Durûb
    {Gaakh}Gaâkh
    {Onai}Onâi
    {Unai}Unâi
    {Gakh}Gâkh
    {Ghashum}Ghashûm
    {Golob}Golob
    {Goi}Goi
    {Gund}Gûnd
    {Hosh}Hosh
    {Krak}Krâk
    {Kruk}Krûk
    {Krath}Krâth
    {Mal}Mâl
    {Narkuu}Narkûu
    {Nuut}Nuût
    {Prakh}Prâkh
    {Srinkh}Srinkh
    {Tark}Târk
    {Throqu}Throqu
    {Udu}Udû
    {Uzg}Uzg
    {Zagh}Zâgh
    {Taka}Tâka
    {Orlos}Orlos
    {Urlori}Urlori
    {Oluri}Olûri
    {Rhask}Rhask
    {Rhaska}Rhaskâ
    {Skaris}Skaris
    {Sakras}Sâkras
    {Azaghal}Azaghâl
    {Tak}Tâk

Beornings;

{Beorn}Beorn
    {Grimbeorn}Grimbeorn
    {Darbeorn}Darbeorn

Avari/Sindar Elves;

{Morwe}Morwë
    {Nurwe}Nurwë
    {Guorwe}Guorwë

Dwarves;

{Ibun}Ibûn
    {Khim}Khîm

Ents;

{Beechbone}Beechbone
    {Bregalad}Bregalad
    {Finglas}Finglas
    {Fladrif}Fladrif
    {Birch}Birch
    {Quickbeam}Quickbeam
    {Skinbark}Skinbark
    {Oak}Oak
    {Leatherleaf}Leatherleaf
    {Evergreen}Evergreen
    {Pine}Pine
    {Larch}Larch
    {Spruce}Spruce
    {Fir}Fir
    {Maple}Maple
    {Beech}Beech
    {Hickory}Hickory
    {Hackberry}Hackberry
    {Mulberry}Mulberry
    {Heartwood}Heartwood
    {Sapwood}Sapwood
    Last edited by alreadyded; December 20, 2012 at 07:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast