Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Kingship and Lordships

Kiliš Alý's Avatar Domesticus
    Artifex

Default [Preview] Kingship and Lordships

The title system Westeros:TotalWar will feature a unique title system that affects both building and recruitment.

Each settlement of the map (with the exceptions of King's Landing, the Wall and the regions north of it) will come with a Title a general can Hold.

Such titles are made of 2 components, a trait and an ancillary.

The trait is used to keep track of the owners of the title, while the ancillary is the title itself.
    The first man holding the Title will have the trait "Lord of X settlement" and the corresponding ancillary, wich is non-transferable.

His sons, when coming of age, will have a claim on their father's title, symbolized by the "Claimant of X Lordship" trait.
    Once the original Lord is dead, any X Claimant can gain the X Title by staying 2 turns in the corresponding settlement.

If, and only if, there are no claimants to the X title in your faction, then any general with no claims will be appointed "Lord of X", by staying 2 turns in the corresponding settlement.
    If there is at least one claimant to the title in your faction, no other general will be able to gain it.
    No general can have more than one claim, nor more than one title.

The Faction Heir is disabled from gaining titles, while the Faction Leader automatically gets the title of your original Capital.

But, what does a title do? Why should I bother of having my settlement covered by the corresponding ancillaries?
    Well, the point of this system is that the Title is needed in order to recruit troops and construct buildings.
    At the beginning of each turn, the Lord, or a Claimant to the Lordship, must be present in the settlement, wich is now "activated".
    For that turn, if any governor is present in the settlement, the player can build\recruit.

Please note that checking if the Lord\Claimant is present happens at the start of the turn, and not when the settlement is selected.

In order to recruit\build, if a general is simply "Claimant of X" is enough. But the Lord will have a lot of bonuses, such as:
    - TaxCollection (more cash)
    - Law (more public order)
    - TroopMorale (troops are more willing to fight under a Lord)
    - Cheaper construction and unit training

Exceptions:
    Wall - becouse it is unplayable, anyway
    North of the Wall - becouse there is no Lord beyond the wall!
    King's Landing - Here, the King of the 7 realms, the Hand of the King and the Commander of the watch are considered as Lords, with the particualrity that the Hand and Lord Commander ancillaries are transferable and non-hereditary.
    AI is not affected by this script. It is too dumb!

Kingship system In W:TW there are 2 types of kingship, Global kingship (the King on the Iron Throne) and Local Kingship.

Any faction, with the exception of the Night's Watch, will be able to claim for the Global Kingship, But only a few faction can also have a Local Claim: Starks (King in the North), Arryn (King of the Vale), Lannisters (King of the Rock), Greyjoy (Sea King).

The conditions for the Local kingship often include having the Faction Leader with the "right" bloodline and owning some territory, and are relatively easy to be reached by the player.

Global kingship, instead, is a totally different matter. Now there are 2 manners Iron Throne can be claimed: Familiar Claim and Military Claim.

The Familiar Claim can be pursued if some conditions are met, and your Faction Leader has the trait "Of Baratheon Blood", or "Wife is Baratheon", or "Baratheon Realtions", meaning that he is son of a Baratheon male (at beginning, Stannis, Joffrey, Tommen or Renly), OR of a baratheon woman (Shireen and Myrcella), OR married one.

(Yeah, CK II gave me inspiration on how to write this stuff )
    If you have no such claim to the Iron Throne, you can press a Military claim once there is no charachter with the "Of Baratheon Blood" in the world, nor any Faction Leader related to a Baratheon (children do not count). There are also some extra conditions to be met.

If you do not wish to claim for the Iron Throne, you'll be a petty Lord. Remember tough: Stannis, Renly and Joffrey factions start all with a claim on the Throne.

Detailed info about kingship conditions of your faction can be found in-game by pressing F5, while your current victory condition will be shown when hitting F6.
    Last edited by Kiliš Alý; November 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

Member of the Imperial House of Hader, proud client of The only and sole Ferrit

Bryce Caron's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: [Preview]: Lordships

Great!

Uriyaca's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Seems rather nice, but won't it be weird that a frey faction for example sits on the iron throne? I think it would be best if every faction can declare independence

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

Looks good

Semisalis

Awesome!

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

Beautiful done!!
    "Fňr jag kalla dig Bajen? Det ńr lńttare att komma ihňg..."

Amazing! Training troops under Lordship is a great idea, and really in keeping with maintaining your generals. It will increase difficulty I imagine as well. The victory conditions sound great as well, different from the usual hold X regions.

Also noticed that the generals on the strat-map had their lannister banners removed - is this a proper feature? I did always think that a Bolton or a Hightower holding a their leige Lord's banner looked out of place. It is westeros after all .

Awesome. I love the way if effects recruitment, really good idea.

Glorious!

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

AI is not affected by this script. It is too dumb!
    uhhh now AI is hurt........
    But great system I like it.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

I love that a little bit of CK2 is being brought into this! Very exciting!

Love the idea!

I've got a couple of questions (I apologize if they've already been answered):

1) What happens to your victory conditions if your faction leader has declared himself King, and dies?
    2) Are their ways to assign a new heir? If I remember correctly, MTW2 chooses a new heir only when there's a new faction leader. I've always found it frustrating when my new faction leader didn't have any mature children, and some brother or uncle was appointed heir.
    3) How many Baratheon princesses will be at the beginning of the game?

Thanks for answering my questions, great preview!

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [Preview] Lordships

I love this system, it really is Westeros total war XD

I can't see the images in the post though, anyone else have that problem?
    Last edited by Louis XVI; November 12, 2012 at 03:34 AM.

Mount Suribachi's Avatar Ordinarius

So the long and the short of it, is that you can have your leader/heir out campaigning, or at home recruiting. But you can't fight wars and recruit at the same time?
    Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you - Littlefinger

I think it's more of a situation where a lord is needed in a settlement, else wise recruitment, etc. Will be more expensive.

I think it's more of a situation where a lord is needed in a settlement, else wise recruitment, etc. Will be more expensive.

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros

Great stuff Kilic

Although for some reason I can't see the preview pics.

I think faction heirs will have the claimant to x of their capital, which allows them to recruit, too. It is true, though, that either the leader or his heir have to remain in the capital in order to recruit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast