Page 103 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3537893949596979899100101102103104 LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2067

Thread: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

for the SS mod, how was the 2-handed 'issue' resolved"

I'm reading their notes but it doesn't delve too deeply in how they balanced out/fixed the 2-handed weapon bug/issue.
    AFAIK, reading about another mod "Gilded Vanilla Mod" here
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=915217775

he doesn't mention anything about how 2-handers having a slow attack animation and getting hit in the process which staggers them. Instead, he explains 1-handed sword units have an unbalanced defense skill advantage, as well as how the parry mechanics works in this game.

Sword-armed units had an unexplained 3 point advantage to defense skill over axe and mace units. This gives them more chances to parry an attack which will stagger the attacker.

So when a 2-hander goes against a sword/shield unit, they get wrecked, ie) Dismounted Noble Knights vs Dismounted Chivalric Knights

Among other balance changes, the ones he used to fix the aforementioned issue are:

All sword armed infantry with a defence skill value in the range of 6-9 was reduced by 3 (41 units affected)
    All two-handed infantry had their defense skill increased by 3, including non-spearwall halberds (24 units affected)

Can anyone tell me what SS mod does specifically to balance for 2-handed units?

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

Nothing.
    The easiest way to balance them is something you can do yourself.
    And that is to add the value of the missing shield to the defense value of two handed troops.

The ideal way to fix this it to actually modify the animation but nobody has done it after all this years.
    If you observe them carefully you will see that before the strike, 2-H troops raise their weapon high and that is quite slow as if it weighs a ton.
    The reality is -especially for the 2-H axes of Norse Houscarls, Varangians, Galloglaich and Tabardariya- that these axes were quite light in comparison to the 2-H axe of woodsmen.

See the pictures:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As you can see axes intended to be used against mobile targets did not have that much metal in their blades.

Compare them to foresters' axes:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As you can see, an axe that is intended to fell a tree needs a lot more metal as wood is hard enough to require a very strong tool and since the tree isn't going anywhere, lightning-quick swings are not necessary to achieve a hit.
    So troops like Slavic foresters don't need to be affected, vanilla animations look right for them.

I imagine that more advanced polearms, like the axes used in the second part of the Hundred Year's War would need a little more metal as they were intended to puncture the plate armor of their time.

The thing is that animations is perhaps the most difficult part of the game to mod and very few animations modifications have been attempted.
    Last edited by paleologos; May 13, 2020 at 02:45 PM.

Default The Stainless Steel Answer Station - ask all questions here - NOT FOR BUG REPORTS!

So like, i have a couple of questions. What happened to SS? I remember a very different 6.1 back in the day. It had 2tpy for a start i distinctly remember the summer/winter. I have downloaded all available files, most of the links are broken these days but i got 6.1 off modDB and 6.2 from somewhere and i tryed 6.4 and they are all 1 tpy. I also downloaded SSHIP and it very must appears to be the SS 6.1 i remember but its ben built on much sinse then. It spawns rebele faction armys like the game i remember but i doubt the mad heresy is going to have any place in a historical mod and tbh i cant tell who any of the factions are any more.

Anyway i had another question, is there any chance of me getting ahold of the old version of ss that was 2tpy. Pretty please? Let the old king crusade one more time World domination was never a very interesting goal for me, i always wanted to create the perfect empire and cultivate a stable world where as few factions died out as possible. I played 6.1 again and i loved it, ran perfectly aswell but its just not the 6.1 i remember... units are too easy to get. Maybe its a version of BGR missing or sometihng i dont know but im certain that there were versions of 6.1 where mailed knights were completely removed from the english. The game im thinking of the english spent alot of time buying out rebel armys cause that was the only way you would be getting longbows pre about 1200 or something.

That game was just great. One of teh best and i would be very sad if its gone forever. I know you can tweak the tpy but that is not the same a it being balanced. I down loaded SSHIP and it appears to spawn the rebel armys in just the way i remember if thats any use. But yeam im waffling. Any chance i could have one of the old releases?

I beleive its possible 6.2 rc4 is the version i am seeking as seen in the thread i linked, might be the all in one installer but i cant say for sure without playing it. All the doanload links are dead tho

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ht=patch%206.2
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; August 02, 2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Merged.

I have been playing SS.6.4 bugfix 1.27 and have had increased unit size. Example all cavalry including Geneals are double. 62 and 32 respectfully. I have started a new campaign and everything reverted back to half unit sizes. Generals are now 16 etc. Anyway to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Oden112211 View Post
    I have been playing SS.6.4 bugfix 1.27 and have had increased unit size. Example all cavalry including Geneals are double. 62 and 32 respectfully. I have started a new campaign and everything reverted back to half unit sizes. Generals are now 16 etc. Anyway to fix this?
    Change the unit size in the game options.

Hi, sorry if this a silly question, I did look on the FAQ's and wasn't sure. If you start an early era campaign, do late era units become unlocked eventually? Are they just turn locked?

Units are linked to events which take place in certain year. For example, some units will only be available after the year 1300 when this event takes place.
    You can have a look at https://www.stainless-steel-mod.com/
    I have read that this is a little outdated, but this will give you the basic idea how recruitment works.
    Sig made by me, content from Broken Crescent.

Is it possible to make generals recruitable?
    Last edited by timdickins; January 31, 2021 at 01:34 AM.

MatVego's Avatar Civis

Hey guys, you probably heard about Rome Remastered. Are you considering porting this mod, becouse SEGA isn't planning any more remaster in future (Medieval2).
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."
    - Benjamin Franclin (1706-1790)
    "The best fortress which a prince can possess is the affection of his people."
    -
    Niccolò Machiavelli (1469-1527)
    "A Nation That Does Not Respect His Past, Does Not Deserve Respect Of The Present And Has No Right To The Future."
    -Józef Piłsudski (1867-1935)

Quote Originally Posted by MatVego View Post
    Hey guys, you probably heard about Rome Remastered. Are you considering porting this mod, becouse SEGA isn't planning any more remaster in future (Medieval2).
    Given that the original core of the dev team no longer work on the mod, and the mod is based off Medieval II Total War, it seem highly unlikely that any porting to Rome Total War will be attempted.

Hey guys, not having luck yet finding the info myself so I'm gonna ask. As far as the submods in SS like BYG, RR, longer assimilation etc., do their effects also hit the AI? I'm all for a challenge but I hate AI cheating (I know its unavoidable), and before i start messing with the submods I'm curious if they are just more so for the player or if they affect the game as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by timdickins View Post
    Is it possible to make generals recruitable?
    Yes.
    You can add them in as recruitable units in the export_descr_buildings file.

I wouldn't advise it though - the AI just spams them as elite cavalry.
    As do human players given a chance.

I've started my first ever Mongol campaign, and I've noticed that in every battle I initiate, my army is flagged so that it will be entirely wiped out and my general killed if I lose the battle - in the manner it does if you lose a defensive siege battle, except it seems to be any battle under any circumstances on all my generals.

I assume this is something to make the Golden Horde more killable so you don't have to chase them down when their armies start spawning all over the map.

Is there any way to disable this? I skimmed through desc_strat and noticed the Mongol generals start with an invisible trait InvasionCharacterCounter and tried removing it but this didn't seem to affect anything noticeable.

How do you recruit novgorod's home guard?

Doesn anybody know how to remove siege weapons or at least make them extremely expensive/barely recruitable?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by bismarck 1899 View Post
    Doesn anybody know how to remove siege weapons or at least make them extremely expensive/barely recruitable?
    Just delete recruit pools in the EDB. Have a look at the discussion in the SSHIP mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Just delete recruit pools in the EDB. Have a look at the discussion in the SSHIP mod.
    I actually read that already but...
    With recruit pools you mean everything that is in the code part of your first post in the other thread?

edit: I changed the replenish rate to 0.02. Now it takes 50 turns to replenish. Maybe that will help.
    Last edited by bismarck 1899; June 04, 2021 at 08:47 AM.

what's the differences between difficulty settings? I've only ever gotten conflicting answers to this

Kopronim's Avatar Laetus

A few months ago I made an account here called and properly spelled Kopronymos. However, I never received the supposed link to my gmail. Now I made an entirely new gmail just for this and made this new account, but I would prefer if I was able to use the properly spelled one, also because it is connected to my real gmail which I actually open sometimes and have verification codes for, unlike this 5 minute alternative one. Is there anything I can do?

I'm posting my question from another(wrong) thread:
    I am not a regular on the forum so maybe I am repeating the question, if so please redirect.
    Is there any way for a faction that doesn't have certain units to have them available? For example to allow Norway to recruit units that they normally can't create like Chivalric Knights. Is it enough to add faction name as owner in export_descr_unit?