Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Units add on (for 3.0) 1.2 update

Smasher 282's Avatar Foederatus

Icon1 New Units add on (for 3.0) 1.2 update

The new version is released and is fully compatible with the new version of the mod. Like the mod it is many time better than the previous version
    The new units are:
    Gondor
    dismounted knights of Dol Amroth
    Noldor
    imladris riders ( lancers and horse archers, thank you to hopit for the idea)
    Noldor kingsguard armed with different weapons (not recruitable)
    High Noldor Vanguards (sword and shield)
    high Noldor horse archers
    Galadhrim

Celebrant riders (Chargers)
    Silvans
    Silvan sword-guards (noldor two handed sword)
    Rohan
    Rohirrim two handed axemen
    Dwarves
    hireling swordsmen
    Kazad Dum guards (only recruitable when the dwarves capture moria)
    isengard
    uruk-hai two handed swords
    Mordor
    Orc glaives
    Orc skullcrushers (war hammers)
    Orc wargrinders (Stealth unit, I did not make the model it was already in the mod files)
    Goblins

Goblins of Gundabad (polearms and swords)
    Wild men
    Dunlending cavalry (equal to wargs, requres horses resource)
    Easterlings
    Easterling War-riders (cataphracts)
    Southrons
    Haradrim war riders (light cavalry)
    Dale
    Dalian halberdier guard (dwarven halberds)
    Mercenaries

Elvish mercenaries (only for good factions except elves and the dwarves, available in elvish regions)
    Variag lancers (light cavalry)

Revision 1.2
    -Complete rebalance of units, no more high charge bonuses and the units generally more in line with the others stats
    -Dalian Royal Guard renamed to Dalian Halberdier Guard and I wrote new description
    -Orc Wargrinders are recruited less
    -if you are reinstalling you need to delete the map.rwm again

Installation:
    -unzip the file and copy the folder into ...\rome total war\mods\ and enable using the program called JSGME. This will stop it from overwriting files.

-Next, delete the Map.rwm in ...\Rome - Total War\alexander\lotrtw\data\world\maps\base.

-or ...\Rome - Total War\alexander\lotrtw\data\world\maps\campaign\alexander I can't remember which one. The game will generate a new one so it doesn't matter.

uninstallation: disable the mod using the JSGME and re-delete the map.rwm (save games with the add on enabled will not work anymore)

The add on is save game compatible but you need to start a new game for the mercenaries to appear.

Alternate download link:
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/6w24GWxu/...30_rev_12.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Variag Lancers and Haradrim War-Riders.JPG   dalian royal guard.JPG   dismounted knights of dol amroth.JPG   easterling War-Rinders.JPG   goblins of gundabad.JPG  

new dwarf units.JPG   new mordor units.JPG   new noldor cavalry.JPG   new noldor infantry.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Smasher 282; March 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Default Re: New units submod

Nice, did you also make new models / textures for them?
    Would you also please be so kind to post some images of them? I usually like to see what I'm going to download^^
    Thanks beforehand (optional addition )
    With best regards,

Förster44

No, i didn't make textures because as far as i can tell you need some sort of god-like ability to do it, and anyway the high noldor units all look to same with the execption of the weapon, the vanguards ues the high noldor spearman texture, the horse archers are literally high noldor archers but on horses. the dismounted knights use the same model as the white knights because the "proper" knights use lances and don't have a sword and it seems weird to have knights using spears on foot.

I'll upload images tomorrow

pics:

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

A long time ago, now on a forum almost forgotten by time and man, there was this unit that I really enjoyed. I really like the fact that one of your units reminds me of the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong, you did well, but the dismounted knights really need either shields or larger, two handed weapons. I get you couldn't do that but it looks silly.

Good work, regardless.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Yes the knights really need improvement, they were the best I could do with what i had avaliable. I'm currently working on a way to give them two handers. also if you look closely you can see that the vanguards' helmets arn't the right shape, need to fix that as well.

I am also working on some more units:
    Some kind of elite unit based on the dragonslayers for the dwarves and hireling swordsmen, as well as some cheap, limited light cavalry for the dunlendings.

triple post?, I belive that's a record

Quote Originally Posted by Smasher 282 View Post
    triple post?, I belive that's a record
    I've seen better

If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Good news! the mod is complete. Its at least 3 times better than the pervious version. here are the features:

-units included:

Attachment 250581
    Dunlending cavalry- wild men riding stolen horses
    Attachment 250582
    Kazad Dum Guards- a "what if " unit that the dwarves get for capturing moria
    Attachment 250583
    hireling swordsmen- offensive counterpart of the hireling spearmen
    Attachment 250584
    high noldor horse archers- better version of the scout cavalry
    Attachment 250585
    dismounted knights of dol amroth- now wielding two handed swords, using right texture
    Attachment 250586
    high noldor vanguards - a good balance between the swordsmen and spearmen

- all units have UI cards
    - all in campaign
    - mostly well balanced
    - some have custom descriptions

This is the final version, I've run out of ideas, anything else I could come up with would be silly and not many people are interested anyway.

Really nice! I will try it out asap ("Failed to create save file on disk", doh >.<)
    With best regards,

Förster44

I think you could change the vanguard sword to a more elvish one, like the captain has in your picture.
    I made one myself, but I have no idea how to get the skin show up for the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Förster44 View Post
    Really nice! I will try it out asap ("Failed to create save file on disk", doh >.<)
    I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopit View Post
    I think you could change the vanguard sword to a more elvish one, like the captain has in your picture.

I made one myself, but I have no idea how to get the skin show up for the sword.
    Good idea, You're welcome to try yourself, it's difficult though. I spent a whole day learning how to do it. I think the current sword will suffice however, it's the same one the kingsguard uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Smasher 282 View Post
    I don't get it.
    I took out LotR TW some weeks ago and couldn't save my campaign anymore (therefore the error message quote) (before the "hiatus" I had with playing the mod it worked). Reinstalling the mod didn't work either, and there's not much sense in playing a TW campaign (which is usually the only thing I do with TW games) when you can't save your progress xD
    Last edited by Förster44; November 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
    With best regards,

Förster44

Quote Originally Posted by Förster44 View Post
    I took out LotR TW some weeks ago and couldn't save my campaign anymore (therefore the error message quote) (before the "hiatus" I had with playing the mod it worked). Reinstalling the mod didn't work either, and there's not much sense in playing a TW campaign (which is usually the only thing I do with TW games) when you can't save your progress xD
    Now it makes sense!

I'd request Rivendel horse archers and guards from the hobbit
    Guards wield elf spears 2-handedly, have a silver "high noldor" armor and featherly looking cape that's blue, red, purpleish and shirt is red.
    and Horse archers had a red cape and shirt with silver "high noldor" armor
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    If you'd be so kind, my mind is screaming for these after seeing the Hobbit.
    (and the silvan elf armor seen at the beginning, but that's stretching it) I'd do it myself, but creating a skin is out of my skills.
    Last edited by Hopit; December 17, 2012 at 08:39 AM.

The Troops in the hobbit did look really cool but sadly, I lack the skill to mod such a thing, I can't create wholly new textures or models, I can just about manage to change weapons on models and mix and match parts of existing textures.

Also one of the things that annoyed me about the movie, Why was thranduil riding a deer? It was a let down having the really cool looking silvan troops in the background but thranduil looked ridiculous on his "steed".

The troops in the hobbit look nothing like the ones that are described in the books of Tolkien. They don't even look like the drawings that C. Tolkien (his son) made. The real noldor are dressed in jellow, red and only sometimes blue.
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.
    Karl Marx

I repeat... that all power is a trust; that we are accountable for its exercise; that from the people and for the people all springs, and all must exist.
    Benjamin Disraeli

Could you make some generic (with this I mean that you can recruit them everywhere where you can recruit the low-level archers and spearmen) noldor sentinels once 3.0 is out?
    Maybe you could take these models
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

and give them bow + sword and fitting stats, so that they are similar, but still a bit inferior to the Imladris / Mithlond sentinels? I think such units would make great (on the spot retrainable!) border garrisons
    With best regards,

Förster44

Quote Originally Posted by timpi View Post
    The troops in the hobbit look nothing like the ones that are described in the books of Tolkien. They don't even look like the drawings that C. Tolkien (his son) made. The real noldor are dressed in jellow, red and only sometimes blue.
    His son isn't the author of the books, just someone who has profited from them greatly. And I'm sure Noldor in Gondolin etc. had silver colored armor in the First Age.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast