Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Conquistadors's cannibalism

Default Re: Conquistadors's cannibalism

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisFY View Post
    I challenge you, find something there that isn't real, in an important page.

Take this for example, I suppose you will find that BBC is a highly important source.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british...adors_01.shtml

And now take a look at Wikipedia, on the same subject:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquistador

Which one does teach us more about it?

But it's normal, today it's full of reactionary people such as yourself, struggling to advance in the field of knowledge and think that Wikipedia is not a good place to study since their whole pages aren't better than 3 lines written by a bloody with a P.hD. For once, the world's greatest books and teachings can be gathered at one place, just one place so the entire world can study, read, help, improve, learn. Are there problems? Sure, nothing is perfect, but why aren't you helping us realise this dream, instead of sitting on your arse and mocking the hard work of others?

What exactly is the point of your tirade? I am sure a lot of people are informed about a many topics on wikipedia. However, it isn't a a valid source for serious discussion. This isn't mocking the site; its just how it is. For example; Encyclopedia Britannica is one of the most respected publications, but it is still not a primary or secondary source for information. I am not mocking the publication, but simply stating what it is (or specifically what it isn't).

To conclude, this as gone long enough--- about 3/4 post on this point. Wikipedia is not and will never be considered a source (both primary and secondary). I personally, will never accept it as such--- that's me. If you want to use it, by all means do, but don't expect me or any other serious academic to take it as a legitimate source. BTW, I also do not know of ANY history teacher that considers wikipedia as valid either- First day of orientation there is always one person who opens; "ok, I have to say this to get it off my chest, I do not think we should accept wikipedia as a valid source for research papers," and like that a collective sigh of relief is heard. As far as College professors are concerned, well,... I wouldn't be quick to put it in your citation page...if you know what I mean

---

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    What exactly is the point of your tirade? I am sure a lot of people are informed about a many topics on wikipedia. However, it isn't a a valid source for serious discussion. This isn't mocking the site; its just how it is. For example; Encyclopedia Britannica is one of the most respected publications, but it is still not a primary or secondary source for information. I am not mocking the publication, but simply stating what it is (or specifically what it isn't).
    Precisely, it is not a source, it's a gathering of sources. I could as well write the same text written on Wikipedia to you, and state other sources, which they do.

Take this for example, it is a list of sources on the page Conquistador.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

References

1. ^ Mary Hill, Gold: The California Story
    2. ^ Vanhanen, Tatu (1997). Prospects of democracy: a study of 172 countries. New York: Routledge. p. 112. ISBN 0-415-14405-1.
    3. ^ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16485469
    4. ^ http://www.virus.med.puc.cl/viajero/f_amarilla.html
    5. ^ "CDC Yellow Fever". Retrieved 2010-03-13.
    6. ^ "The Columbian Mosaic in Colonial America" by James Axtell
    7. ^ The Spanish Colonial System, 1550–1800. Population Development
    8. ^ "Conquest in the Americas". Conquest in the Americas. Archived from the original on 31 October 2009.
    9. ^ p30-31 of J.H. Elliot, introductory essay to Anthony Pagdens translation of Cortés's letters "Hernan Cortés" letters from Mexico" 2001 (1971, 1986) Yale University NotaBene books
    10. ^ a b Vaughan, p.57
    11. ^ Tate Gallery exhibition "East-West: Objects between cultures" [1]
    12. ^ a b c d Mann, Charles (2006). 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus. Madrid: Taurus.
    13. ^ John Blanke-A Trumpeter in the court of King Henry VIII. Blackpresence (2009-03-12). Retrieved on 2011-03-17.
    14. ^ The Crypt: Slaves in the Islamic world
    15. ^ "White slaves. Muslim masters". Liveleak.com. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
    16. ^ Povoledo, Elisabetta (26 September 2003). "The mysteries and majesties of the Aeolian Islands". International Herald Tribune. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
    17. ^ "History of Menorca". Holidays2menorca.com. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
    18. ^ "''When Europeans were slaves: Research suggests white slavery was much more common than previously believed''". Researchnews.osu.edu. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
    19. ^ Watch-towers and fortified towns[dead link]
    20. ^ arbulan (28 April 2007). "Islamic Expansion and Decline: Chapter 8: The Slave Society". Islamicexpansionanddecline.blogspot.com. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
    21. ^ 'The Wild Irish are Barbarous and Most Filthy in their Diet', bbc.co.uk
    22. ^ Michael C. Thomsett, The Inquisition: A History (Jefferson, NC: McFarland and Company, Inc., 2010), 158.
    23. ^ Bernard Lewis, Cultures in conflict: Christians, Muslims, and Jews in the Age of Discovery (New York: Oxford University Press, 1995), 35–6.
    24. ^ http://www.materialesdehistoria.org/...%20HEROICO.pdf
    25. ^ Boeglin, Michel, Entre la Cruz y el Corán. Los moriscos en Sevilla (1570–1613), (Instituto Cultural de las Artes de Sevilla, Sevilla, 2010).
    26. ^ Kayserling, Meyer. "História dos Judeus em Portugal". Editora Pioneira, São Paulo, 1971
    27. ^ J. de Andrade Corvo in Journal das Ciências Matemáticas, xxxi.147–176, Lisbon, 1881
    28. ^ Collins, Robert O.; Burns, James M. (2007). "Part II, Chapter 12: The arrival of Europeans in sub-Saharan Africa". A History of Sub-Saharan Africa. Cambridge University Press. p. 179. ISBN 0-521-86746-0. "in 1475 when his contract expired Rui de Sequeira had reached Cabo Santa Caterina (Cape Saint Catherine) south of the equator and the Gabon River."
    29. ^ Arthur Percival, Newton (1970) [1932]. "Vasco da Gama and The Indies". The Great Age of Discovery. Ayer Publishing. p. 48. ISBN 0-8337-2523-8. "and about the same time Lopo Gonçalves crossed the Equator, while Ruy de Sequeira went on to Cape St. Catherine, two degrees south of the line."
    30. ^ Koch, Peter O. (2003). "Following the Dream of Prince Henry". To the Ends of the Earth: The Age of the European Explorers. McFarland & Company. p. 62. ISBN 0-7864-1565-7. "Gomes was obligated to pledge a small percentage of his profits to the royal treasury. Starting from Sierra Leone in 1469, this monetarily motivated entrepreneurial explorer spent the next five years extending Portugal's claims even further than he had been required, reaching as far south as Cape St. Catherine before his contract came up for renewal."
    31. ^ Gates, Louis; Anthony Appiah (1999). Africana: The Encyclopedia of the African and African American Experience. p. 1105.
    32. ^ The standard view of historians is that Cabral was blown off course as he was navigating the currents of the South Atlantic, sighted the coast of South America, thereby accidentally discovering Brazil. However, for an alternative account of the discovery of Brazil, see History of Brazil
    33. ^ Map proves Portuguese discovered Australia: new book, in Reuters (Wed 21 Mar 2007) – (see Theory of Portuguese discovery of Australia)
    34. ^ The Expulsion 1492 Chronicles, section XI: "The Vale of Tears", quoting Joseph Hacohen (1496–1577); also, section XVII, quoting 16th century author Samuel Usque
    35. ^ African Political Ethics and the Slave Trade
    36. ^ "Sri Lanka History". Thondaman Foundation. Retrieved 22 August 2011.
    37. ^ Cecil H. Clough, David B. Quinn, Paul Edward Hedley Hair, "The European outthrust and encounter: the first phase c.1400-c.1700", p.85-86, Liverpool University Press, 1994, ISBN 0-85323-229-6
    38. ^ Ricklefs, M.C. (1991). A History of Modern Indonesia Since c.1300, 2nd Edition. London: MacMillan. pp. 23. ISBN 0-333-57689-6.
    39. ^ Robert Kerr, ed. (1812). "Conquest of India". A General History and Collection of Voyages and Travels. Edinburgh: William Blackwood. p. 411.
    40. ^ Ricklefs, M.C. (1991). A History of Modern Indonesia Since c.1300, 2nd Edition. London: MacMillan. p. 26. ISBN 0-333-57689-6.
    41. ^ Lach, DF. (1994) Asia in the Making of Europe: The Century of Discovery (Vol 1), Chicago University Press
    42. ^ E. C. Abendanon and E. Heawood (December 1919). "Missing Links in the Development of the Ancient Portuguese Cartography of the Netherlands East Indian Archipelago". The Geographical Journal (Blackwell Publishing) 54 (6): 347–355. doi:10.2307/1779411. JSTOR 1779411.
    43. ^ a b c Ricklefs, M.C. (1991). A History of Modern Indonesia Since c.1300, 2nd Edition. London: MacMillan. p. 24. ISBN 0-333-57689-6.
    44. ^ a b c Ricklefs, M.C. (1991). A History of Modern Indonesia Since c.1300, 2nd Edition. London: MacMillan. p. 25. ISBN 0-333-57689-6.
    45. ^ Boxer, p. 98.
    46. ^ Boxer, pp. 100–101.
    47. ^ a b Skidmore, p. 27.
    48. ^ Boxer, p. 101.
    49. ^ Boxer, p. 108
    50. ^ Boxer, p. 102.
    51. ^ Skidmore, pp. 30, 32.
    52. ^ Boxer, p. 100.
    53. ^ Skidmore, p. 36.
    54. ^ Boxer, p. 110
    55. ^ Skidmore, p. 34.
    56. ^ Bueno, pp. 80–81.
    57. ^ Facsimiles of multiple original documents relating about the events in Brazil in the 17th century that led to a Dutch influence and their final defeat
    58. ^ Calmon, p. 294.
    59. ^ Bueno, p. 86.
    60. ^ Andrea, Alfred J.; Overfield, James H. (2005). "Letter by Christopher Columbus concerning recently discovered islands". The Human Record. 1. Houghton Mifflin Company. p. 8. ISBN 0-618-37040-4.
    61. ^ "History of Jamaica". Jamaica National Heritage Trust. Archived from the original on 26 September 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
    62. ^ "Spanish Town". Jamaica National Heritage Trust. Archived from the original on 25 September 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
    63. ^ The numbers for Grijalva's expedition are as given by Bernal Díaz, who participated in the voyage. See Díaz del Castillo (1963, p.27).
    64. ^ Clendinnen, Inga; Ambivalent Conquests: Maya and Spaniard in Yucatán, 1517–1570. (pg 11) ISBN 0-521-37981-4
    65. ^ Clendinnen, Inga; Ambivalent Conquests: Maya and Spaniard in Yucatán, 1517–1570. (pg 12) ISBN 0-521-37981-4
    66. ^ William Prescott – Mexico and the Life of the Conqueror – Volume I, Book 2, Chapter 2, circa 1843
    67. ^ Juan de Samano (9 October 2009). "Relacion de los primeros descubrimientos de Francisco Pizarro y Diego de Almagro, 1526". bloknot.info (A.Skromnitsky). Retrieved 2009-10-10.
    68. ^ Somervill, Barbara (2005). Francisco Pizarro: Conqueror of the Incas. Compass Point Books. p. 52. ISBN 978-0-7565-1061-9.
    69. ^ Bolivia & Main Cities / Potosí from boliviaweb.com. Retrieved 2010-09-27.
    70. ^ Abad de Santillán, pp. 96–140
    71. ^ "John Wesley Powell's Exploration of the Colorado River". U.S. Geological Survey. 28 March 2006. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
    72. ^ Barkham (1984), p.515.
    73. ^ Rafnsson (2006), p.4.
    74. ^ http://www.gara.net/paperezkoa/20101...leneros-vascos
    75. ^ Between 1550 and the early 17th century, Red Bay, known as Balea Baya (Whale Bay), was a centre for whaling operations.
    76. ^ http://www.borealidad.com.ar/ballene...s-en-islandia/
    77. ^ Cabeza de, Vaca 1542, Chap's II-III
    78. ^ Axelrod and Phillips, p. 4
    79. ^ Lankford, pp. 100–101
    80. ^ Fish, S. (2011). The Manila-Acapulco Galleons: The Treasure Ships of the Pacific With an Annotated List of the Transpacific Galleons 1565-1815. translated by. AuthorHouse. ISBN 9781456775421.
    81. ^ Geoffrey Parker. The Grand Strategy of Philip II, (2000)
    82. ^ Whether several diseases from "the New World" (America) struck Europe shortly after Columbus's voyage is also debated among scholars. Goodling, Stacy. "Effects of European Diseases on the Inhabitants of the New World".
    83. ^ "The Journey of Alvar Nuńez Cabeza de Vaca"
    84. ^ [2]
    85. ^ [3]
    86. ^ [4]
    87. ^ [5]
    88. ^ Dobyns, H. F.. American population dynamics in Eastern North Americas. Knoxville (Tenn.): University of Tennessee Press.
    89. ^ Dobyns, H. F. (1983). Their number become thined: Native American population dynamics in Eastern North America. Knoxville (Tenn.): University of Tennessee Press.
    90. ^ Cook, S. F.; Borah, W. W. (1963). The Indian population of Central Mexico. Berkeley (Cal.): University of California Press.
    91. ^ "El imaginario del conquistador español (página 3)(Spanish)".
    92. ^ Gonzalo Fernández de Oviedo. Historia General y Natural de las Indias, book 16, chapter XI.
    93. ^ Francisco López de Gómara. Historia General de las Indias, second part.
    94. ^ "Fontaneda's Memoir, translation by Buckingham Smith, 1854. From keyshistory.org. Retrieved 28 March 2007.".
    95. ^ "Corpo Cronológico (Collection of Manuscripts on the Portuguese Discoveries)". UNESCO Memory of the World Programme. 16 May 2008. Retrieved 2009-12-14.
    96. ^ Ortega 1980, Tomo III, p. 37-110
    97. ^ de las Casas, Bartolomé. "Tomo I. Capítulo XXXIV, pág. 256". Historia de las Indias. Retrieved 2008-10-18. On the website of the Biblioteca Virtual Miguel de Cervantes.
    98. ^ Derr, Mark (2004). A Dog's History of America. North Point Press. pp. 23–45. ISBN 978-0-86547-631-8. Lay summary.
    99. ^ http://theobligatescientist.blogspot...yagan-dog.html
    100. ^ Stannard, David. American holocaust: the conquest of the New World.
    101. ^ Roger Smith, "Vanguard of the Empire", Oxford University Press, 1993, p.30
    102. ^ Meliá (p.45)
    103. ^ "Mestre Jacome" the Majorcan cartographer is first mentioned by Duarte Pacheco Pereira in his Esmeraldo de situ Orbis (c.1507, p.58). João de Barros, in his Decadas de Asia (1552: I.16 p.133) adds that he was also a master instrument-maker.
    104. ^ "He also from Majorca caused one Master James, a man skilfull in Navigation and in Cards and Sea Instruments, to be brought into Portugall, there at his charge as it were, to erect a Schoole of Marinership, and to instruct his Countreymen in that Mysterie." Samuel Purchas, Hakluytus Posthumus, (1625, vol. 2, pt.2 p.11)

Further reading

• Chasteen, John Charles (2001). Born In Blood And Fire: A Concise History of Latin America. New York: W. W. Norton & Co.. ISBN 978-0-393-97613-7.
    • Innes, Hammond (2002). The Conquistadors. London: Penguin. ISBN 978-0-14-139122-9.
    • Kirkpatrick, F. A. (1934). The Spanish Conquistadores. London: A. & C. Black.
    • Wood, Michael (2000). Conquistadors. London: BBC Books. ISBN 978-0-563-48706-7.

You went too much off topic. Pls return to it if you have any valid information.

I know that on sailing ships, resorting to cannibalism when people ran out of supplies was common enough that many crews would often make sure to point out they HADN'T when they recieved supplies. Also, they differentiated between cannibalism just out of survival and cannibalism simply for the sake of eating people. Its not unheard of that the Conquistadors might have resorted to it, though more than likely they would have eaten natives rather than ther own fellows.

Please rep me for my posts, not for the fact that i have a Pony as an Avatar.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

I've read these three pages, and I didn't find not even one link to a book or some kind of source belonging to the XV, XVI or XVII centuries, speaking of Cannibalism among the Conquistadores.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    I've read these three pages, and I didn't find not even one link to a book or some kind of source belonging to the XV, XVI or XVII centuries, speaking of Cannibalism among the Conquistadores.
    Indeed. How could they be cannibals?
    For example, in the Pacific,
    "Mendaña´s men had met one of the few cultures that practiced ritual cannibalism. When they were offered the severed arm and shoulder of a child, the Spanish were disgusted and quietly buried the body parts with a Christian ceremony"
    page 53, "Exploring the Pacific" Martha Veil.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Indeed. How could they be cannibals?
    Despair make man do unimaginable things.Just think about the context of their conquest

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    Despair make man do unimaginable things.Just think about the context of their conquest
    If you wish to think they were cannibals out of identification with the Aztecs and Inca that is understandable but I have not seen any evidence presented in this thread for them being cannibals while I have seen evidence against it while I know evidence against it myself such as the Noche Triste (Cortez' men tried to intervene against human sacrifice they became besieged when they tried to escape hundreds drowned trying to escape the rivers, and you were responding to someone who posted their actual reaction to cannibalism.

Perhaps the OP could produce the source that claims cannibalism because I know of no source academic or otherwise to say so.

Lets also face it; the Incan Empire was destroyed by a civil where which invited other natives to attack and a few hundred spaniards where there, and Montezuma's massive human sacrifice fetish provoked all non-Aztecs to attack him at the same time while a few hundred spaniards were there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNasoRomaLost View Post
    If you wish to think they were cannibals out of identification with the Aztecs and Inca that is understandable but I have not seen any evidence presented in this thread for them being cannibals while I have seen evidence against it while I know evidence against it myself such as the Noche Triste (Cortez' men tried to intervene against human sacrifice they became besieged when they tried to escape hundreds drowned trying to escape the rivers, and you were responding to someone who posted their actual reaction to cannibalism.

Perhaps the OP could produce the source that claims cannibalism because I know of no source academic or otherwise to say so.

Lets also face it; the Incan Empire was destroyed by a civil where which invited other natives to attack and a few hundred spaniards where there, and Montezuma's massive human sacrifice fetish provoked all non-Aztecs to attack him at the same time while a few hundred spaniards were there.
    Qouteing me
    I find some trace in book of the Frederick Alexander Kirkpatrick "The Spanish conquistadors".
    Aztec were not the only one to preform human sacrifice. Many perhaps the most of them did.

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

Qouteing me

Aztec were not the only one to preform human sacrifice. Many perhaps the most of them did.
    Their neighbors and vassals who so famously rose up against them and joined Cortes largely performed the same kinds of human sacrifice the Aztecs did. What made them so angry at the Aztecs was that the Aztecs were militarily superior to them and had been winning most of the wars against them. They did sacrifice more people than the Tlaxcallans and others, but that was primarily because the Tlaxcallans generally lost and losers don't exactly take home many prisoners. If the shoe had been on the other foot we'd surely be droning on about the cruel oppression of the Tlaxcala Empire against the poor Mexica and how the Mexica (the people commonly referred to now as the Aztecs) were innocent and all that crap.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Citizen

There is no historical evidence.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

There is no historical evidence.
    Are you talking about first or second sentence? In case its the first one , my answer is hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.
    In case its the second one , I already said where did my evidence came from.

Citizen

my answer is hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.
    Try another forum; "this forum is for the pursuit of honourable discussion and the fostering of academic debate. All members are welcome but they will be held to a higher standard of civility"
    --
    Is there any historical evidence of Conquistadors's cannibalism? books, primary or secondary sources?

--
    I find some trace in book of the Frederick Alexander Kirkpatrick "The Spanish conquistadors"
    Please quote the passage...
    ---
    Despair make man do unimaginable things
    Survival cannibalism is innate in humans.Yesterday, today and tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ludicus; December 21, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Try another forum; "this forum is for the pursuit of honourable discussion and the fostering of academic debate. All members are welcome but they will be held to a higher standard of civility"
    --
    Is there any historical evidence of Conquistadors's cannibalism? books, primary or secondary sources?

--

Please quote the passage...
    ---

Survival cannibalism is innate in humans.Yesterday, today and tomorrow.
    If you can't find example in history where man in despair did unimaginable things then you do not deserve to participate in this forum. Fair and square.
    I returned book to the library , I can't find passage now , but here's the link of the book feel free to investigate http://books.google.rs/books?id=XntO...page&q&f=false

If you can't find example in history where man in despair did unimaginable things then you do not deserve to participate in this forum. Fair and square.
    I returned book to the library , I can't find passage now , but here's the link of the book feel free to investigate http://books.google.rs/books?id=XntO...page&q&f=false
    Hey, the book may be inaccessible, but .... What is/ are the primary source(s) the book uses to make its argument? Of course the primary source(s) may also be inaccessible, but we might be able to find an analysis of them somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Hey, the book may be inaccessible, but .... What is/ are the primary source(s) the book uses to make its argument? Of course the primary source(s) may also be inaccessible, but we might be able to find an analysis of them somewhere.

I think some Spanish report dating 17th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    Wikipedia has more content than half of your pissing stained sources, content there is made by high knowledge people, professionals of the area, be it history or another area. Everything written in Wikipedia has a link to a source to said fact. It's a huge gathering of public knowledge maintened by hundreds of thousands of people who give their sweat to make it work. So unless you have any proof of why should people not study through there, I suggest you swallow your pride and start reading Wikipedia's pages.
    While I agree wikipedia is good as a general reference page, I must tell you no respected scholar or expert on ancient history is wastes his time writting an article for wikipedia. And very few researchers with access to scholarly publications on ancient history waste their time writting for wikipedia. If you want scholarly information, read academic journals, essays scholars, etc. Those have information you wouldn't imagine exists. The are experts on every field of military history, just to name a topic. For example, yesterday i was reading a paper on the roman auxiliary units raised in the iberian peninsula, and it had around 1000 pages. Their sources arent based on mainstream publications, they mostly use epigraphic evidence, and analyze it trough hermeneutics and exegesis.

I think some Spanish report dating 17th century.
    I doubt we would write about acts of cannibalism committed by our own people. So, unless someone can provide reliable sources, this will seem to me like another example of the "black legend" made by other europeans to discredit the spanish conquistas.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtibero View Post
    I doubt we would write about acts of cannibalism committed by our own people. So, unless someone can provide reliable sources, this will seem to me like another example of the "black legend" made by other europeans to discredit the spanish conquistas.
    Might be, that's the reason why I came to this forum to read your opinions about it. But don't be so sure we wouldn't write about bad things our own people did. Remember how Civil wars starts, and like all wars they need casus belli too.

Might be, that's the reason why I came to this forum to read your opinions about it. But don't be so sure we wouldn't write about bad things our own people did. Remember how Civil wars starts, and like all wars they need casus belli too.
    Thats a good point. There were spaniards who denounced the conquista, such as de Las Casas, a dominican priest if I remember well. However, they focused in the treatment of natives, and as far as I know never tried to accuse any conquistador of cannibalism. It just seems going to far, and Spain didnt't suffered a civil war until the carlists wars.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast