Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Conquistadors's cannibalism

Default Conquistadors's cannibalism

I heard rumors that Spanish might eat human flesh during their conquest of New World. Knowing that Spanish exterminated all cannibalistic population they could find (except some allies) and use this as one of the main casus belli I would like to know if there are any written evidences with decent credibility that support this rumor.

Default Re: Conquistadors's cannibalism

I think it's just a silly rumour to discredit the conquerors.

Might be, although I find some trace in book of the Frederick Alexander Kirkpatrick "The Spanish conquistadors". Although conq have many reasons to be discredit for I would like to know your opinion about turning native cannibals into slaves.

It's downright wrong. Christopher Columbus enslaved and killed 2 million Arawaks, and the conquistadors are no better. Their culture, leave them to it.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

No idea about this but consider Conquistador's main role is exploration of unknown regions (that generally was covered with rainforest, high mountains and unknown native people), ran out of supplies and forced them to cannibalism is not impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    No idea about this but consider Conquistador's main role is exploration of unknown regions (that generally was covered with rainforest, high mountains and unknown native people), ran out of supplies and forced them to cannibalism is not impossible.

Interesting viewpoint; you seem to have made their actions seem so noble.
    They were definitely "exploring" something, but it wasn't as benign as you suggest.

---

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Interesting viewpoint; you seem to have made their actions seem so noble.
    Which part sounds noble?
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

The only "benign" part was that they bought back chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Gandalf View Post
    The only "benign" part was that they bought back chocolate.
    Nice one.
    I never said it was widely spread but it might exist in traces and I asked for any known, reliable and useful information about it.

The same can be said of any army, to be honest. For example, Napoleon in Russia. There is a possibility of cannibalism there, same with hitlers men.

Which part sounds noble?
    I may actually be guilty of a hyperbole; however, I was referring to your comment that their primary role was exploring unknown worlds. I believe it was simply a means to end. No explorer just went in search of new land for the sheer notoriety. This only exist I tv land like Star Trek. I don't think you thought otherwise which is why I was afraid I might have hyperbole hour statements.

----

I was referring to your comment that their primary role was exploring unknown worlds.
    I know that is what you referring to, but my question is, what make you think my comment about exploration of unknown lands is... noble?

Or may be you think it is a noble act and hence interpret my neutral sentence as something relating with noble acts; I certainly don't believe wondering around for whatever reason make you noble though.

This only exist I tv land like Star Trek.
    Sorry but I am a fan of Warhammer 40K and dislike hippie stuff like Star Trek.

I know that is what you referring to, but my question is, what make you think my comment about exploration of unknown lands is... noble?
    Or may be you think it is a noble act and hence interpret my neutral sentence as something relating with noble acts; I certainly don't believe wondering around for whatever reason make you noble though.
    I really do not know how to answer your question without repeating the same thing I said in the previous post.

This is your original statement
    but consider Conquistador's main role is exploration of unknown regions

I may actually be guilty of a hyperbole; however, I was referring to your comment that their primary role was exploring unknown worlds. I believe it was simply a means to end. No explorer just went in search of new land for the sheer notoriety. This only exist in tv land like Star Trek. [In other words, there was nothing noble or neutral about this statement. It states that the conquistadors were mainly about exploring in an attempt to gain a greater understanding of the world around them. Nothing could be further from the truth; The conquistador acted out of self- interest of enriching themselves with riches and glory; to claim that their main role was to explore the unknown as a end to it self suggest an ennobling of their selfish efforts.The sentiment of seeking new worlds for the betterment of mankind is expressed routinely in Star Trek. ] I don't think you thought otherwise which is why I was afraid I might have hyperbole your statements. [As you can see, you probably did not intend to make this claim, which is why I stated I might be guilty of a hyperbole.]

More to the point: I have never read anything on the subject. However, simply performing a single act of cannibalism does not cannibal make. The act itself is considered to be very taboo and would only have been done in the most desperate of circumstances. The few isolated events when it has been documented this was the case.

It would be more helpful if someone could post a link where this is discussed in more detail.

---

They went to find new places so they could enslave the natives, steal what treasures they can and bring unique goods back to the old world to get rich.

I don't know why people consider the conquistadors to be so evilish. If not for them, North America and South America would not exist.

"Oh but they killed and they enslaved"

So? Are they really the first ones to do that?

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Indians who would have been killed or enslaved by other Indians were killed or enslaved by Spanish instead. Learn something about the Indians. The Caribs took so many female Arawak prisoners their society was virtually bilingual. That's not to say they're wicked evil either it's just to say that's the nature of things. We can try to be better, but that's just people being people.

It's not the evil white men ruining everything.

Columbus killed 2 million Arawaks? How? By infecting them with illnesses via proximity centuries before they understood germ theory? How terrible. It's not like they got wiped out. Puerto Ricans are in large part Taino. I assume the same goes for the rest of the islands.

Slavery was only legal by the Spanish if the slavery improved the lot of the slaves. This was abused but I'm sure the Spanish honestly thought they were helping the heathens and helping themselves.

Now we know better and do better.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; November 20, 2012 at 02:59 AM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Paragon's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisFY View Post
    I don't know why people consider the conquistadors to be so evilish. If not for them, North America and South America would not exist.

They existed before they arrived, you know.
    This is my Aragonese AAR, One Single Man

If you read and comment, there WILL be cake!

People- this is the College of History Forum. This thread is about reports that Spaniards resorted to cannibalism to survive. There was a side discussion about the wording of the purpose of the Spaniards in the New World, but it was never about if they were "good" or "evil."

It is unfortunate that no one seems to have anything to add about the supposed cannibalism of the Spaniards, but if you want to discuss the merits of Spanish conquest of the New World, you should probably open up a discussion. Judging by the comments, preferably in the general forum.

---

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisFY View Post

Im pretty sure the continents, and the civilizations within, existed for thousands of years before the arrival of the spaniards.
    And the destruccion of completely unique, untouched cultures, and of thousands of texts that depicted there history is a good reason to frown on the conquistadors.

Also, how is anyone supposed to know if they were forced into cannibalism? there is no text, spaniard or otherwise, that depicts such acts. And there are no corpses that can be analized. There are no evidences for it, as plausible or unplausible as it may be.
    Last edited by saxdude; November 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Gandalf View Post
    It's downright wrong. Christopher Columbus enslaved and killed 2 million Arawaks, and the conquistadors are no better. Their culture, leave them to it.
    Blatantly false not to mention impossible for just him to do.
    Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

If I cannot find a way I will make one.

Hannibal Barca

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast