Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: minipreviews: mercenary, regional and foreign units

Default Re: minipreviews: mercenary, regional and foreign units

I think that what I like the most in this mod is not the mod itself - which of course I haven't played since it's in development still - but the level of detail in the research, quite evident in the very informative descriptions like the one above.

excellent work with the skins, but also - and perhaps more importantly - excellent work with the research. you get to learn something just following the mod progress...

As I said, this one is in the top three mods I'm waiting for... hope to see it soon in action on my computer

cheers

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Good things should never be rushed, and @LucianoB your informative postings and quality of models shows how much effort you are putting into this mod. I'm learning more and more about pre-Roman Italy and very much look forward to its release. Please do not let the release of MTW2 affect the development of this mod.

I like the diversity of unit types and very much hope lots of mercenary units can be included (especially Celtic cavalry). Maybe I missed something in these threads but has the aepirus question been resolved yet?, will they be a playable faction or included as a non playable invading force?.

I am guessing the reason Legionairio is posting in Italian is owing to there being little about the Mod on the Italian website, but perhaps I am wrong on this. I only visited it a couple of times looking for the release of Casus Belli.

Leonidas480bc's Avatar Semisalis

I think the spartan Transverse crest should look like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas480bc
    I think the spartan Transverse crest should look like this.
    ...it seems really similar to the one we used in our unit ...I can't see any substantial difference with the crest used in my model; however, thanks.
    Last edited by Luciano B; October 14, 2006 at 03:05 AM.

PAENINSULA ITALICA project creator

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus
    Good things should never be rushed, and @LucianoB your informative postings and quality of models shows how much effort you are putting into this mod. I'm learning more and more about pre-Roman Italy and very much look forward to its release. Please do not let the release of MTW2 affect the development of this mod.

I like the diversity of unit types and very much hope lots of mercenary units can be included (especially Celtic cavalry). Maybe I missed something in these threads but has the aepirus question been resolved yet?, will they be a playable faction or included as a non playable invading force?.

I am guessing the reason Legionairio is posting in Italian is owing to there being little about the Mod on the Italian website, but perhaps I am wrong on this. I only visited it a couple of times looking for the release of Casus Belli.
    About Aepirus, in the "base" version of the mod the Eiprote invading armies will be there only as non playable invading forces (something working like a "rebel" spawning armies); we planned also to release in future also other alternative campaign with some variations in the faction arrangement, so in one of them the Aepirus will be a playable faction.

Of course, a complete roster of Celtic mercenaries will be present in our mod.

Quote Originally Posted by justme
    I think that what I like the most in this mod is not the mod itself - which of course I haven't played since it's in development still - but the level of detail in the research, quite evident in the very informative descriptions like the one above.

excellent work with the skins, but also - and perhaps more importantly - excellent work with the research. you get to learn something just following the mod progress...

As I said, this one is in the top three mods I'm waiting for... hope to see it soon in action on my computer

cheers
    Thanks a lot gentlemen, I'm really happy to know tha there's still people interested in ancient stuff during the current "oppressive" medieval revival.
    Last edited by Luciano B; October 14, 2006 at 04:22 AM.

SICANI

Sicanian Infantry
    Last edited by Luciano B; June 05, 2007 at 04:39 AM.

Hi Luciano, I like the latest units. You mentioned an alternative campaign might be appearing in the future. I was just wondering.. would that be including the emergance of rome? with the other italian factions and maybe a few new greek factions like Epirus?
    [Massive Sig Here]

ELYMI

Elymian Peltasts

Elymian Hoplites
    Last edited by Luciano B; June 05, 2007 at 04:39 AM.

I like the those units. How many more mercanary units can you put into this mod?
    [Massive Sig Here]

Laetus

Hi, Luciano!

I have a question: are you going to make some special generals/officers preview? And are the models and skins for them already done?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparton Matticus
    I like the those units. How many more mercanary units can you put into this mod?
    ...coming soon: Campanian, Sabellic, Illyrian, Celtoligurian and Celtic sets of regional/mercenary units. Also some Epirote and Macedonian units of the army of Alexander the Molossian.

Quote Originally Posted by iglauskas
    Hi, Luciano!

I have a question: are you going to make some special generals/officers preview? And are the models and skins for them already done?
    I have some models for the generals but the related skins need to be finalized.

Leonidas480bc's Avatar Semisalis

I found these PICS of what the Aspis(Hoplon) looked like on the inside.

http://www.larp.com/hoplite/JMhpln2.jpg
    Notice the bronze edge on the rim, not all Aspis's had them. Some owners couldn’t afford the bronze sheet that covered the front and rim of their shields. The bronze sheet made the Aspis weight about 18 LBS. Some used leather over the wood core with maybe a bronze lip.
    the outside
    the inside
    For these few the inside of the aspis was reinforced with a L shaped shoulder and forearm guard. This offered better protection than just the wood core and leather facing alone, with the added benefit of reducing the weight.

This is a linothorax, it made from linen and the number of layers glued togeather varied depending on the maker and time period. Many veterans would reinforce the sides and front with scales or plates.

Here we see the way some greeks wrapped leather strips arround thier spears to ensure a firmer grip.

I am searching for a picture of the leather loop that was atached to a Javelin increasing its range. More to come!!
    Last edited by Leonidas480bc; October 17, 2006 at 07:43 PM.

KALI's Avatar Senator

Nice pics keep it up,
    always good to have alternative source material. Btw intresting detail on the L_shaped bronze plate.
    I came, I saw, I went away again.

the L bronze sheet was used on the older model of hoplon. since the time after persian wars they used the new model which had a deeper bowl shape.
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time

CAMPANI

Campanian light spearmen

Campanian heavy spearmen

Campanian cavalry

Campanian heavy cavalry
    Last edited by Luciano B; June 05, 2007 at 04:40 AM.

Another very nice mini preview. This mod seems to be progressing fast. Good job Luciano. I always like reading the historical Information too.
    [Massive Sig Here]

Hey Luciano,

I´m just wondering if you´re gonna put the whole information about the different factions into the mod since they´re so detailed. Please don´t understand me wrong, I personally would like this feature but would also be happy - in case you are planning to shorten the information within the game - if you put it in an extra document (pdf or whatever) in its original seize. And could you then - as far as possible - name the sources? I like the teaching aspect of this mod...

Kind regards
    "Most people are like a leaf which is blown and turning around through the air,and wavers, and tumbles to the ground.
    But others, a few, are like stars, they go on a fixed course, no wind reaches them, in themselves they have their law and their course."

Siddhartha in Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, Chapter Six

Mylae's Avatar Memento Mori

to create a .pdf file as a sort of "manual" for use and teaching aspects is a nice idea.
    however, it could come just as the last thing, since it requires the ending of the work.
    nice idea, however.
    Extravagant developer of Invasio Barbarorum: Flagellum Dei; Developer of Paeninsula Italica
    Creator of the XV-Century Machiavello Total War Mod (2.0) for M2TW

Honorabilis Gaius Baltar est mihi patronum.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast