Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SweetFX for Shogun 2 Total War (04nov12)

Icon3 SweetFX for Shogun 2 Total War (04nov12)

SweetFX for Shogun 2 Total War - Version 1.3

After discovering InjectSMAA from these hallowed Forums, shared by THE HIGHLANDER, I came to understand that it was compatible with many Direct X games.

Further learning taught me, or rather showed me other iteration have been made or tweaked/amalgamated with other mods.

Hence I share this little gem hoping that it will be of use to you fellow members.

This is not my own mod, but as I have said before, I am a tinker not a modder. I merely tinker with or tweak other users work, with respects of course.

Credits go to those responsible for their hard work and for their kind sharing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SweetFX is a universal image improvement and tweaking mod,
    that works with almost any 32bit DirectX 9, 10 or 11 game or application.

It's goal is to provide similar tools to games in realtime, as video processing software provides for movies and videos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version 1.3
    Adds the Lift Gamma Gain shader which lets users adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights.
    Adds the Curves shader which uses S-curves to adjust the contrast of the image
    Adds the Splitscreen shader which makes it easier to do comparison screenshots and videos.
    Reversed the DPX blend setting so smaller numbers now mean less effect and not more (it's more logical this way)
    Better default DPX settings
    More conservative default Vibrance settings (down from 0.20 to 0.15)
    All settings in the settings file now have ranges. (preparations for an upcoming GUI)

(NB: I have tested this myself and currently use it to run my game
    Compatiblility with all major mods inc:
    SuperGhostboys mod, Darthmod, etc. DX9/10/11 friendly.

UNIVERSAL INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS WITHIN GAME READ_ME CONTAINED IN THE PACK == For those of you who wants to use in other DirectX games
    )

FEATURES:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Effects included:
    (I know many of these features are included in-game but you have a more direct control over them.)

* SMAA Anti-aliasing : Anti-aliases the image using the SMAA technique - see http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/
    * LumaSharpen : Sharpens the image, making details easier to see
    * Bloom : Makes strong lights bleed their light into their surroundings
    * HDR : Mimics an HDR tonemapped look
    * Technicolor : Makes the image look like it was processed using a three-strip Technicolor process - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor
    * Cineon DPX : Makes the image look like it was converted from film to Cineon DPX. Can be used to create a "sunny" look.
    * Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (avoids clipping)
    * Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)
    * Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
    * Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.
    * Sepia : Sepia tones the image - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepia_tone#Sepia_toning
    * Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting )
    * Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditheri...age_processing )
    * Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS
    INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS WITHIN ZIP FILE. Don't be daunted it's really easy.

============= SweetFX for Total War: =================
    INSTALL:
    1. COPY/EXTRACT contents of SweetFX zip file into: "steamapps\common\total war shogun 2" folder (same folder as the game .exe basically).
    2. Copy the tweaked SweetFX_settings.txt into the same folder (overwrite any previous files)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside game, press:
    Scroll Lock to toggle on/off,
    Pause/Break to reload shaders (useful when editing values for yourself).
    Print Screen to capture a screenshot.

****NB: The settings I have used is completelty customizable to the user's preference. For me the settings are to my liking and are constantly tweaked when needed.
    However, there are instances the settings are visually better looking for land/naval battles and not so much for the campaign map. You can always deactivate the settings by pressing Scroll Lock button. (You are free to amend the settings to your liking.)

You can amend the values in the SweetFX_settings.txt while the game is running by pressing ALT+TAB to switch to the TXT file. Just make sure you reload the shaders by pressing the Pause/Break button.

EXTRA/OPTIONAL SETTINGS: No longer necessary for SweetFX...for compiler purpose only
    1. In the file "dxgi.fx" and/or "d3d9.fx" you must set the following line to match your in-game resolution:

#define SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE float2(1.0 / 1280.0, 1.0 / 720.0)

2. So if you play the game for example Full HD 1920x1080 replace the line:

#define SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE float2(1.0 / 1280.0, 1.0 / 720.0)

with

#define SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE float2(1.0 / 1920.0, 1.0 / 1080.0)

3. Then click save

Not doing so may result in a CTD.

Apologies for the wrong instructions given previously regarding the resolution settings on the wrong file.

Tweaked SweetFX_settings for ver 1.3 (25oct12) to make things look better.

Fixed Tweaked SweetFX_settings (3nov12) - this should make the shading/bloom/HDR look better.

Do let me know how it fares for you.

UPDATES - Follow this after install
    Shogun_TW_settings (4nov12)
    1. Copy into your main Shogun 2 folder.

2. Open SweetFX_preset.txt file & change the line #include "SweetFX_settings.txt" to #include "Shogun_TW_settings.txt"

That's it, you're ready to play.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
    It may be necessary to adjust your GAMMA/BRIGHTNESS settings too.
    Recommended settings are as follows: GAMMA: 18 ; BRIGHTNESS 14
    (This is especially important to adjust for GUI issues where they appear too bright).

SMAA ver 2.7 update
    Please overwrite the old file in ".../SweetFX/Shaders" folder

Credits to CeeJay.dk and Guru3D forum
    You can find new releases of SweetFX in it's thread on the Guru3d forums :
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368880
    Last edited by yobi_uk; November 15, 2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added files

The Gentle Touch Of A Woman's Hand Can Soothe The Tempest Of A Man's Heart Especially If They Cook Something Tasty
    =========================================================

Icon2 Re: SweetFX for Shogun 2 Total War (24oct12)

screenshots using ver 1.1.1

VERSION 1.3 -- BEFORE / AFTER

Attached screenshot below are from version 1.1.1.
    Last edited by yobi_uk; November 04, 2012 at 10:12 AM.

The Gentle Touch Of A Woman's Hand Can Soothe The Tempest Of A Man's Heart Especially If They Cook Something Tasty

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: SweetFX for Shogun 2 Total War (24oct12)

Does it works with dx11?

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Elianus's Avatar Ordinarius

What does this do exactly and would it conflict with Superghostboy's mod?
    ''Πας μη Έλλην, βάρβαρος.''

Herr Doctor's Avatar Biarchus

Do I need to delete previous InjectSMAA's version (the one posted by The Highlander)?

Icon14 Re: SweetFX for Shogun 2 Total War (24oct12)

Quote Originally Posted by VENNONETES View Post
    Does it works with dx11?
    Absolutely, I use DX11 and in fact I got this from a forum for another game that has very recently come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Elianus View Post
    What does this do exactly and would it conflict with Superghostboy's mod?
    No it will not conflict with SuperGhostboys's mod as far as I'm aware. I use SGB's mod alongside it. This mod does what InjectSMAA does as it is amalgamated in it, plus it offers some optional graphical changes within your power to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Doctor View Post
    Do I need to delete previous InjectSMAA's version (the one posted by The Highlander)?
    Unfortunately so, but it is actually included in this mod, with compatibility for dx9, dx10, & dx11 already.

NB: renewed OP.

Well, when I use it in the option menu I can only select dx9 :\

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Herr Doctor's Avatar Biarchus

Also wanted to ask The Highlander but probably better to ask you now as you worked with this stuff a bit. Does it support NVIDIA FXAA? Is it better to turn it off (in my video card control panel) to get more fps?

Well, when I use it in the option menu I can only select dx9 :\

(er...too big?)

Have you copied all files? The main fx file to have is the dxgi.fx, which is for dx10/11.
    Last edited by yobi_uk; October 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

I can't get it working with dx11
    I can't find the problem!

OLD SIG

I can't get it working with dx11
    I can't find the problem!
    I'm presuming you can get into the game itself and access settings menu, si?

What shader model are you per chance using?

In s2 I use shader model 5 (the maximum)

OLD SIG

In s2 I use shader model 5 (the maximum)
    When this mod is deleted are you able to set it to DX11?

(have you also changed the resolution in the dxgi.fx to match your in-game resolution?)

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Doctor View Post
    Also wanted to ask The Highlander but probably better to ask you now as you worked with this stuff a bit. Does it support NVIDIA FXAA? Is it better to turn it off (in my video card control panel) to get more fps?
    I think this does the same thing in a sense as it contains a similar tool. I have been playing with FXAA off, but I will investigate further.

EDIT: It appears to work hand in hand with Nvidia's. It feels for me that the game runs smoother and AA looks better. I'll have to get FRAPS to double check.
    Last edited by yobi_uk; October 24, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

Default Re: SweetFX for Shogun 2 Total War (25oct12)

Version 1.3 uploaded....... tweaked settings soon

Looks good, but do you think you could post some installation and usage instructs? and some for non shogun 2 games to? +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen Man Lt. Richard Sharpe View Post
    Looks good, but do you think you could post some installation and usage instructs? and some for non shogun 2 games to? +rep
    Domo arigato gozaimashita for the +rep. Its nice getting feedback to see if its being appreciated.

Install instructions are actually within the zip file. It shows how to install for any DirectX game. For Shogun 2 specific installations I will endeavour to include it.

Please let us know how all of you are finding it. Remember the settings are fully customisable by you. So if you would like to share your settings do upload it.

SCREENSHOT EXAMPLE (using version 1.3)

Honestly its not the same as turning the brightness/contrast in the game settings menu. You can fine tune it with this tool to make it look and feel how you like without damaging the FPS.
    Last edited by yobi_uk; October 25, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

Elianus's Avatar Ordinarius

Works pretty well. Please tell me, what do I need to change to make the SMAA ''stronger'' (if possible)?
    ''Πας μη Έλλην, βάρβαρος.''

Quote Originally Posted by Elianus View Post
    Works pretty well. Please tell me, what do I need to change to make the SMAA ''stronger'' (if possible)?
    I'll try to work that out for you...

There is a settings for SMAA in the SweetFX_settings.txt. You can play around with that see how it goes. When I have a chance I'll tinker with it too.
    Last edited by yobi_uk; October 26, 2012 at 08:26 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast