Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 4

Default Re: Mass Effect 4

Quote Originally Posted by Habelo View Post
    But clearly not saving the galaxy in ME would have made it a better game.
    I'm pretty sure taking Mass Effect as a sci-fi setting and dealing with your classic criminal underworld(NOT Cerberus) on the Citidel would be quite fun. But how would I know. Max Payne was only one of the best damn games ever made ever.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Comes Domesticorum

Some new news on the next Mass Effect:

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/12/a...ware-montreal/
    Suite à cette évolution, nous sommes maintenant prêts à passer à la prochaine étape et annoncer que le prochain jeu Mass Effect est déjà en développement et que c’est l’équipe de Montréal qui en tient dorénavant les rênes. Cela représente l’atteinte d’un objectif qu’on s’était fixé il y a plusieurs années et c’est avec un mélange de fierté, d’excitation et d’humilité que chacun des membres de l’équipe s’affaire à assumer ses nouvelles responsabilités.

Afin de s’assurer que le transfert de la franchise vers Montréal se fasse dans les meilleures conditions possibles, nous continuerons de recevoir le soutien du studio d’Edmonton tout au long du projet, en collaborant et apprenant d’eux sur certaines initiatives importantes. De plus, Casey demeurera producteur exécutif de ce jeu, mais il sera représenté à Montréal par un directeur de projet qui sera chargé de diriger l’équipe de développement et de prendre les décisions créatives au quotidien. Mass Effect est une franchise très importante pour nous et nos décisions sont prises en fonction de ce qui est le mieux pour le jeu.

Je ne peux vraiment pas vous en dire beaucoup sur le jeu en ce moment, si ce n’est qu’il sera fondé sur l’incroyable technologie de l’engin Frostbite, auquel l’équipe de Dragon Age III a déjà passé beaucoup de temps à intégrer beaucoup des systèmes de jeux pour lesquels nos titres sont reconnus.

L’autre chose que je peux vous dire est que, même si nous nous assurerons de développer ce prochain jeu dans le plein respect de l’héritage établi par les trois premiers chapitres, maintenant que la trilogie originale est achevée et que nous faisons la transition vers un nouvel engin de jeu, nous avons l’opportunité d’explorer de nouvelles directions, autant du point de vue de l’histoire que des mécaniques de jeu. Vous pouvez quand même vous attendre à ce que ce prochain jeu respecte les éléments clés des jeux précédents, y compris de nombreuses races extraterrestres, une énorme galaxie à explorer et, bien sûr, une narration riche et cinématographique.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Another source.

Gameinformer

Details are scarce, but we do know that the new Mass Effect game incorporates the tech behind DICE's Frostbite 2 engine. "There is really not much I can tell you about the game right now," Roy says. "Except that it will be built with the amazing technology of Frostbite as its foundation, enhanced by many of the systems that the Dragon Age III team has already spent a lot of time building."

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post

Oui Oui.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post

You know well enough which parts to bold, think you can translate as well?
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Stav's link is in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Bioware Guy
    We know you have high expectations for the franchise and we want to make sure whatever we show you lives up to those expectations.
    Yeeaaaahhhh....

Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Stav's link is in English.

Yeeaaaahhhh....

Not really.
    We are talking about a company who said their fan base WANTED all the features that were in Dragon Age 2 and proceded to ban and flame anyone from their forums who disagreed complete with a fanboy choir. I remember reading an interview on a RPG news site (forget which?) before DA2 was released that was deriding the matrix fighting and the simplification of the game and Bioware was talking the whole time as if they were doing us a favor dumbing it down and basically calling anyone who disagrees an idiot.

They have much to repair their reputation. Whats funny is i'm looking more forward to Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition than any future Bioware game.

What annoys me is what steers me more away from Bioware, and other people I know, is the damn relentless fanboy choir. I don't need a bunch of people who are starstruck to the Bioware devs deriding me for knowing its likely going to be fact that their game will be bad unless they decided to change their development strategies from their previous games.

I am hoping they realize all this and realize their mistakes and we get a good Mass Effect and a good Dragon Age, however recent releases have me thinking otherwise. SWTOR was a failure, ME3 was not very good (not terrible either, pretty much MEH which is REALLY BAD for bioware), and Dragon Age 2 was an absolute disaster of a game. I want them to prove me wrong. Will they? EA owns them so no, they will be meh at best as any EA game is i'm guessing. At least EA fixes their games now, they have that going for them.

Also I think I should stop referring to this company as Bioware and refer to it as EA Bioware-Mythic to show what they have done to this company.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

The whole fact that we're talking about ME4 in the first place goes to show that it's not Bioware anymore. Artistic integrity? They're not artistic, and they have no integrity! /seinfeld

Pfft. You're just pissed that Mass Effect was never going to die with Shephard. Anybody familiar with any universe worth an EU knows what to expect. This was going to happen even before EA. The only question was ever who the characters would be and maybe what the actual name is. We only say ME4 for lack of a better choice at the moment.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comes Domesticorum

Yeah honestly did anyone not expect there to be more games in what is one of the most popular and still-developing sci-fi universes out there?

You say games. I'm expecting more mediums than just games and comic books.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    We are talking about a company who said their fan base WANTED all the features that were in Dragon Age 2 and proceded to ban and flame anyone from their forums who disagreed complete with a fanboy choir. I remember reading an interview on a RPG news site (forget which?) before DA2 was released that was deriding the matrix fighting and the simplification of the game and Bioware was talking the whole time as if they were doing us a favor dumbing it down and basically calling anyone who disagrees an idiot.
    Not to mention they're also a company that straight-out lied to their customer base about what the ending to ME3 would/would not be like.
    You know, like in this case:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Artistic integrity? They're not artistic, and they have no integrity! /seinfeld
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    You say games. I'm expecting more mediums than just games and comic books.
    Let's see, we've got these things released or planned for release in the series:
    - 5 games
    - 1 app
    - 4 books
    - 8 comics
    - 1 anime
    - 1 movie

Then there's bucketloads of merchandise as well, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Let's see, we've got these things released or planned for release in the series:
    - 5 games
    - 1 app
    - 4 books
    - 8 comics
    - 1 anime
    - 1 movie

Then there's bucketloads of merchandise as well, of course.
    Forget the merchandise. I just want to amuse myself with the EU. I can lose myself in that via popcorn reading like I did for years in Star Wars and months in Halo(which hasn't gotten to get as big as Star Wars yet, book wise).

I just hope they lock in on the ending where the Reapers stick around as paperweight observers because that could have some, shall we say, amusing possibilities for religious implications just for natural societal evolution that have nothing to do with reaper technology going off and corrupting people.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comes Domesticorum

Mass Effect 3 Director Asks Fans if ME4 Should be Sequel or Prequel

Bioware and Casey Hudson are plainly trying to avoid some of the missteps of Mass Effect 3 with their next game. There’s a clear effort to keep the fans involved in the development process this time around, and

Mass Effect (video game) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Hudson is maintaining contact right from the beginning:

“Parsing through your thoughts on the next #ME game. Would you be more interested in a game that takes place before the trilogy, or after?”

Needless to say, there’s already a solid response on the Twitter page. We saw earlier this year that, with a story like Mass Effect, fans felt they had just as much ownership as the developers did and it appears that the team is going to make Mass Effect 4 reflect that growing reality. Probably not on the line of some sort of crowdsourced game, but I imagine this will be the first of many such olive branches to the fan community offered by Hudson.

Personally, I’d have to hope that any game took place before the events of the Mass Effect trilogy. What always drew me into the games was the fully realized, functioning, intergalactic world, and that world started to lose its luster under the oppressive figure of the Reaper invasion. Plus, continuity would be a nightmare for any sort of sequel – the fate of the galaxy was very much up in the air depending on player choices in Mass Effect 3. Juggling those scenarios could just be strange. Let’s start fresh with the best of the series so far.
    I'm split on what I'd prefer.

On the one hand, a prequel would put me back in that world I loved to discover in ME1, but on the other hand, that story is now complete, and we already the history of the galaxy and the Council before humans to an extent where I wouldn't really be interested in being involved in these things. Then again, it could take place in a previous cycle, but games without humans are unlikely.

They already wrote themselves into a corner for ME3 so they didn't know how to finish the Shepard series well. And thanks to the (supposedly vastly different) RGBF (Red, Green, Blue, FU) endings in ME3, the matter is even worse for a potential sequel, imho.
    Because if they keep savegame transfer in, they'll either have to

1. Create 3 very different stories/settings (Refuse isn't counted as finishing the game, afaik) each catering to one of the endings. That means that development time and costs would skyrocket into nowhere, which EA would probably stop immediately.
    OR
    2. Continue Shepard's story towards a "new official final conclusion" that revises the ending in ME3 in some way, where the ending choice in ME3 defines how some parts of the game play out. Think Indoctrination Theory and similar ideas.
    OR
    3. Create one story that all three endings developed towards later on. That means robbing their very own "genius artistic and meaningful" endings of precisely all their supposed meaning and "difference" from one another, as well as forcing one storyline down the throat of the customer and kicking player choice and influence overboard again.

On the other hand, if they don't keep savegame transfer in, then they wouldn't have much choice. They'd be forced to come up with one canon storyline/setting, and players would be forced into that storyline, completely negating whatever storyline they themselves created in their own playthroughs. Whether that would be good or bad noone can tell.

So, I'd rather expect a prequel or a game parallel to the current ME series: It's the possibility that is not only the easiest one to follow, but also the least offensive to both the community (a lot of people love the IT, but a lot of people also love the endings) and Bioware themselves (as they love their own endings).

Screw it all. Lock an ending in as canon, take the criticism from the fans for a year or so as development continues(assuming you leak anything), and move forward with space-cthulu no longer an issue in the storytelling or hugely imbalanced universe. Once you lock an ending in, you've balanced the ME universe, and you've got a myriad of stories to tell right where they should be, about the relationships and politics between the races and characters.

Personally I wouldn't leak anything at all about when the game was. I might leak stuff about who was in it. Especially if it involved characters that were in the first three games. Let the fans stew over whether it was a prequel or sequel only to find out it's a sequel following what happens in galactic society when space-cthulu is no longer a threat but there are still plenty of other hilarious issues to deal with.

I'll just pretend you didn't type the first one. Because we both know they're not going to do that for sheer budgetary reasons if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    They already wrote themselves into a corner for ME3 so they didn't know how to finish the Shepard series well. And thanks to the (supposedly vastly different) RGBF (Red, Green, Blue, FU) endings in ME3, the matter is even worse for a potential sequel, imho.
    Because if they keep savegame transfer in, they'll either have to

*snip*
    2. Continue Shepard's story towards a "new official final conclusion" that revises the ending in ME3 in some way, where the ending choice in ME3 defines how some parts of the game play out. Think Indoctrination Theory and similar ideas.
    OR
    Forget that. Leave Shephard dead. Dude left a link to a writeup earlier by Brandon Sanderson detailing the idea of a balanced universe. Every ME3 ending has one thing in common. Every ending leaves the Reapers sidelined and out of the equation in the future timeline. Whether it happens right away or fifty million years in the future it happens. Space Cthulu is gone. The Unvierse makes sense. Leave Shephard dead. You have so much potential for awesome stortytelling in both future games and expanded media that continuing Shephard's story especially with the idiotically stupid indictrination theory is about as dumb as you can get. Especially after the functional equivalent of Star Wars' George Lucas tells you repeatedly the Indoctrination Theory did not happen. It's just bad writing. And denial. No matter how much you have a hard on for Shephard.

3. Create one story that all three endings developed towards later on. That means robbing their very own "genius artistic and meaningful" endings of precisely all their supposed meaning and "difference" from one another, as well as forcing one storyline down the throat of the customer and kicking player choice and influence overboard again.
    Four words. Deus Ex: Invisible War. Anybody who even wants to consider taking three or four wildly different endings and mashing them together needs to sit down, play through Deus Ex and its three endings, and then play through Deus Ex: Invisible War, the game's sequel. And then proceed to remove their foot from their mouth, if they think they can do it without surgical help.

I repeat. Pick. One. Ending. Canonize it. Continue on with the timeline using it.

So, I'd rather expect a prequel or a game parallel to the current ME series: It's the possibility that is not only the easiest one to follow, but also the least offensive to both the community (a lot of people love the IT, but a lot of people also love the endings) and Bioware themselves (as they love their own endings).
    They love their own endings enough to think they can try to mash them together, but they don't love their own endings enough to think they can make it actually work after a few weeks of trying. Anybody at all familiar with Video Game history is familiar with how hard Deus Ex: Invisible War crashed and burned after it tried to play with all of Deus Ex's endings.
    Last edited by Gaidin; November 21, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Libertus

Personally, I would like to see a 4 in a post-Reaper universe. With some kind of Canon ending(I concede to this fact grudgingly). It seems the only way to do things. I guess you could remove the Reapers in some way. Control, destroy, synthesise. I don't think the galaxy would be all that comfortable with them just hanging around. They killed a fair few people. I feel like they removed some routes of story with Leviathan as well. It was an interesting take on their origins, but why not venture into Dark space? What's back there, ey?!

I'd like to see a Mass Effect 4 take a darker turn. Something personal to the character, something grimy, filthy. Moving around the darkest corners of the galaxy. Like Omega X10 . Straight to the top. I want to see all tiers of this galaxy. From grimy streets to high diplomacy. I feel like 2/3 attempted this, but its something I'd like to explore more. That's my opinion.

I'm hoping for a Dragon's Age: Origins type of game for the next Mass Effect. By this I mean players can choose to be Asari, Turian, Krogan, Salarian, or even Geth. I love the voices for Geth!

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

You can either have the possibility to play multiple races or a main character with spoken dialogue. EA will never give us both because it is too expensive.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    (...)
    Let's just wait and see what MaCasey and the "community they're listening to" will come up with.
    Preferably, they'll have a surprise in stock that is a great game with a great story that neither you nor I expected, even if the chances for that are probably pretty slim.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; November 22, 2012 at 01:10 PM.