Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Suggestions

For the line of battles, I'm using the formation AI from The Hedge Knight. I wont change it anytime soon since I don't have the skills yet, and I have more than enough on my plate already.
    Note that for formation, we can define some "formation pattern", but not how the AI will actually go from one to the other. This is not moddable. We can just hope the formations we defined are correctly placed and the AI will manage them well.

What were the units involded in the melee attack?

Regular French line infantry (1812) vs British Line infantry (1812)
    Last edited by Marcus Vitruvius; July 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Since the French are relatively better than the British at melee (but not as good at range), maybe it's logical that the French tried a melee attack?

Maybe but I have also noted the same behavior when I played against the Austrians and the Prussians as the Russians.

Patrician Artifex

Well, that's what I meant when I said no one can actually modify the BAI. We don't know exacty what triggers a melee attack. This is something hidden by CA, we don't have a script or something that says "if melee attack < range attack and distance > X then melee".
    So it's not something that can be corrected easily. The decision to melee taken by the AI can be influenced by many parametes, and I doubt anyone can gives a list of them...

At least, if someone actually knows it and can share it, I'd be most happy to see if I can improve it, but as it is know, I wouldn't really know where to look.

I have no modding experience so unfortunately I can not point you in the right direction. Perhaps when the time comes, you could consult JaM? He has some of the best BAI I've ever seen.

I finally found time to play some battles \ campaign. After balancing some stuff with my own mod in vanilla and having played a lot of NTW3 in the past, I can assure you your battle system is unrealistic and still not very fun to play IMHO. I can help you with this if you wish, in any case I suggest you to:

- Rebalance the cavalry vs infantry and vs square infantry value (do at least -50 for cavalry vs square infantry, the square should never break if not in very rare cases!)
    - Add some more points for tiredness I find troops too fresh and too willing to fight even exhausted
    - Add some more points to "under artillery fire", I dont think walking in a plain with balls flying all around you would be like taking a trip to disneyland (which is right now)
    - Do something for musket fire. Really, its very strange having to fire 2-3 times and hit the target but not having him dead. I checked your damage points and they are very low. Also its not besed on effective range.
    You could reduce a lot "attackpower_extreme_range_multplier", "attackpower_long_range_multplier and, more importantly, "projectile_calibration_target_area" instead. Having it set close to 10 will do, a lot less casualties without the need to reduce damaging points.
    - Last note... I think the reloading time is a bit too fast

Patrician Artifex

If you have time to tests different values, I'd be happy to check them. Could you please suggest a list of parameters with the values you think are better?
    I'm OK to try them and see if they work better, but I don't have time at the moment to do much trial and error since I'm busy with the unit list.

However, if you can do the tests and suggest better values, I'm OK to give it a try, but only after you tested them first.

About squares : I don't agree they should be unbreakable. There are several exemples of cavalry breaking infantry square. It should be difficult, but not impossible.
    Last edited by Steph; August 09, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

jazza's Avatar Libertus

is it possible to add a religious converting tech like LME has or a converting building maby

Patrician Artifex

I plan to do that for the campaign when I have finish the roster. However, it will not be religion, but more a kind of "influence". For example you can have "Pro French", or "Pro British".
    There is a limitation: I tried to add a new agent to have more "religion", but it doesn't work well since new agents don't convert. Only the agents which were suppose to convert from start can convert.
    So it means a limited number of "religion".
    Or I could have more, but only the major factions will get agents, smaller factions will be able to convert only with buildings.

jazza's Avatar Libertus

what if you're at war with both english and french seems to happen a lot lol

Patrician Artifex

It doesn't really matter. Each region will have some "pro something". Like Belgium could be "40% pro Belgian, 30% Pro French, 10% pro Britsh and 20% pro Dutch".
    So if you plan to invade Belgium with Britain, you'd better send some propagandist to improve support for Britain.
    or if you play as Netherlands, maybe built a Dutch administrative center to help with local support in Belgium if you capture it.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Steph, I will send a modified version of this mod with my BAI settings to fix any problems with line cohesion and blobbing and melee attacks.

Patrician Artifex

OK, but please explain what you change, since I always have an version underdevelopment and I need to know what files could be in conflict.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Steph I finished the modifications. These are the files: KV Morale, KV Rules, Abilities, Agent to Agent Ablities, Battle Entities, Building Faction Variants, Campaign AI Manager BehaviorJunctions Tables, Campaign AI Personality Junctions Tables, Campaign Difficulty Handicaps Table,Campaign Variable Tables, Diplomatic Relations Attitude Tables,Effect tables,Effect Bonus Basic Junctions Tables, Technology Effect Junctions, Trigger Events and the formation bin from Darth Vader. The result of these will be better BAI behavior with good line cohestion and no bloobing and more fire fights and less melee. Better faction region development and expansions and more naval invasions. Test it out and see. Recommended to play on Hard campaign and expert battle mode.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; October 31, 2013 at 09:21 PM.

Since this is the only major ongoing mod left I thought it might be worthwhile re-post this:

The standard game uses shells which have effects comparable to modern artillery, with large craters and the ability to cause several tens of casualties with a direct hit in a formation. In reality black powder was somewhat lacking as filler compared to picric acid and what followed. In terms of effects if a shell knocked down a file, landed nearby and the fragments of the following explosion killed/wounded an handful more it was a pretty much the best case scenario when hitting a line. Howitzers brought some advantages such as the ability to hit ground that guns could not hit and the shells could start fires, scare animals etc. etc. but the effects were such that on flat ground a gun firing solid shot was expected to outperform a howitzer firing shells..

A second issue is purely aesthetical one. The game gun model fits reasonably allied artillery and French An XI. Gribeauval pieces employed however a different configuration as they did not carry the box on the limber. A separate model would be a nice to have though certainly not essential.

Last edited by marcello; November 19, 2014 at 01:23 PM.

Hi Steph I want to wish you the best on this project but I had a suggestion. What bothers me so much about NTW is that the units do not have ammunition cases or water canteen, yet they have the breast straps to carry them on, is it possible you can include this on the units so that the look more historically accurate...? Another thing you had mention doing in the future is modding campaign maps because the current NTW campaign maps get very redundant and boring is it possible to maybe include one modded building just so to help with the immersion. so that if you are fighting in Russia you may see one orthodox church. Or if battling in Italy one cathedral and in Germany one Gothic styled building. Even if the do not have the collision model. Thank you!

Patrician Artifex

Campaign map is not moddable. I don't have skills to add building in a map, but if someone can do it, it could be possible.

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

French mid time period army grenadiers could have bearskins as they were still in use from 1809-1812, meaning an overlap in the shakos and bearskins for line units and honestly I preffer them! Course i shall be modding the unit caps and costs myself to represent companies rather than regiments, but I should much prefer them, and I think others would too steph.

Once again wonderful work done here, I cannot wait for your campaign to come out!

Oh and standard highland infantry should have spoorans and full crossbelts, and line infantry plumes, while light infantry should be wearing tartan trews, as should the fenibles who should also have shakos! As this is the uniform of the lowland troops. Please no the highland headress is the best infantry hat for protection, as it has a wire mesh underneath which can stop a broadsword so you might want to take that into account, as you might not have know unless you've handled one or read colonel macdonalds note on the matter.

I'd also suggest giving sharpshooters soft caps (like a black tam 'o shanter), and the coldstream guards should have white trousers (as there is some debate on the matter for the time of waterloo but they did have white in the Iberian peninsular) if you want to differentiate them more, give then line infantry plumes rather than the white geniders plumes, or give the genidiers bearskins as they did wear them still on parade, as a signature item the custom was not extended to the full household divistion until after (or rather because of) the battle of waterloo.

The 60th royal american rifles should have red accents on the sleeves, and grey trousers.

Also I'd suggest adding a british bircorned unit, for re-enacting tuolon, and the other Royalist interventions, should be noted also that militia or fenible units tended to be a little behind the times when it came to uniforms.

Hope these are worthy of your consideration, as I know a little of these things being Scottish, and a future prospective member of the lillywhites (Coldstream Guards).

Oh and although I HATE the unit limits you have two too many guards regiments recuitable, there ARE five regiments now, but the Irish and welsh Guards are 20th, not 19th century, (1900 and 1915) check the relivent regiment profiles on the british army website if you want confirmation. x
    Last edited by Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!; March 30, 2015 at 05:58 AM. Reason: too many guards
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Patrician Artifex

Bearskin may have still be in used, but they were not the regulation uniforms. Everytime you have official uniform changes, it took time to be implemented and was not always time simultaneously.
    But if you play in the campaign, in 1807 when the new regulation kicks in, you can no longer recruit grenadier with Bearskin, new grenadiers will get the shako. however, if you don't want to change you can keep your bearskin... Just recruit them before the change.

If you want a change for uniforms, provide a picture: I won't change anything without a documented reference picture.

60th Royal American have grey trousers and red regimental colors

Mod starts 1805, so no bicorned British for the moment. Maybe once the mod is finished, I could consider an early version.

I'm not sure what you mean about the limit for the Guards. Limit 1 one grenadier, 2 infantry, 1 light infantry + Coldstream. And there were 3 regiments of Guards.
    So unless you want to have only infantry, or only grenadiers, I think my limits are consistant