agunter999's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Suggestions

Add a little extra to the game

mennelik's Avatar Civis

40 units stacks please!!!

haldarion's Avatar Laetus

I agree!!! 40 units with 1 unit of infantery = 1"bataillon" (en français)/1 unit of cavalery= 1 "escadron" (en français). More realistic.

88HaZZarD88's Avatar Tiro

i just would like an option in the launcher where you can chose 40 or 20 units

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

No, no, and no.

40 units :not possible in custom battles. Not nice in campaign with the icon placement. And since it requires editing a saved game, if you want it, do it yourself, I won't. I don't think it is technically possible to have the choice in a launcher anyway.

Bataillon: Not reallistic since for France for example a bataillion as a mix of voltigeur, grenadier and fusilier, while the engine does not allow this. Beside, the game engine has been designed for relatively small units. Although it is possible to increase the size, then it has some side effects like squares not working properly.

I agree with Steph

The main problem with Napoleon Total War is that it is not possible to have more than 20 units in a battle even if reinforcements (unless they are allies therefore uncontrollable). This is a big disappointment because they can not make real battles with several Napoleon's marshals ... every time we had to fight in a small battle with a general against another, with the arrival of some reinforcements units!

However, the developers had already been incorporated this possibility in Rome Total War or Total War Shogun now 2 for example.

Thus in Shogun 2, when you attack with multiple armies in the field, it is possible to control more than 20 units ... it's really frustrating that Creative Assembly has not implemented this possibility, especially at the level of code is not the most complicated to do. Unfortunately he did not even think or want to make a patch for it (Napoleon Total War or Empire Total War) ....

Total War: Napoleon 2 maybe one day?

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Total War: Napoleon 2
    That will be the best game ever
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

There is a mod out there somewhere (I think it is for ETW) which allows the player to recruit certain units if they are allied with a certain faction. I think this would be fairly useful for MoE's AoR system.

It was used in the ETW mod to recruit natives; so if you where allied with the Cherokee, you would be able to recruit those troops from your own land.

How does that sound?

Patrician Artifex

That's not that simple.
    The limit is for one faction, not a global one.

So imagine I'm allied with Bavaria. The limit for the guard grenadier is one.

With the current system, I can have only one Bavarian guard grenadier unit. It can be recruited by Bavaria as an ally or a protectorate, or directly by you if you control the Bavaria region.

With the ally recruitment mechanism, then you could see two Bavarian guard grenadier units. One from Bavaria, one for you.

Beside, the current regional system forces you to recruit units in some areas only: it is not possible to recruit French units in Russia. If it is not possible, why could I recruit Spanish units in Russia if as France I'm allied with Spain?

Or if Ireland revolts and become an ally of France, should France be able to recruit the whole Irish roster in France if the Royal Navy controls all the seas and blockade Ireland?

This would require some mechanism to control thinks link distance from your regions to the allies, possible route/blockade, total number of units (recruited by you, by your ally), etc.
    And this would be quite complex, if even possible.

What happens with the Kingdom of Italy?

If you play with France, so Napoleon was also the King of Italy, would it be possible to command the Italian troops? Or other benefits (to be defined) to represent this close?

And if, alternatively, the Kingdom of Italy it may have the status of vassal to France rather than single ally?

According to certain decisions or actions in the countryside, Eugene Viceroy of Italy, who was the adopted son of Napoleon, may decide to fight against France. In one of my parties, I remember that just because I attacked Rome, I strongly disagree with Italy .... destroyed alliance ... so

Patrician Artifex

If Italy remains and ally, they will recruit Italian troops and might help you. But you cannot control what they recruit and where they send it.

If you take direct control of the region, they can control what troops to recruit (Italian, not French) and where you send them.

The game doesn't engine doesn't allow something else, we have to work with the constraint

Hello there, so i have noticed that the Austrian grenadiers are looking quite nice. I just wanted to suggest that there were also the Young Grenadiers who wore Shakos while the Alt or Old Grenadiers wore the bearskin. I will give you the sources if you wish, but the website i found it on is down for the moment.
    Proud member of the great TkD Clan and resident of the Kingdom of Sweden

Steam name: nfselephants/ Archduke Sven

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by LotsofxXandzZ View Post
    Hello there, so i have noticed that the Austrian grenadiers are looking quite nice. I just wanted to suggest that there were also the Young Grenadiers who wore Shakos while the Alt or Old Grenadiers wore the bearskin. I will give you the sources if you wish, but the website i found it on is down for the moment.
    The Jung Grenadiers were no more than Fusiliers with a fancy name due to General Mack's crazy reform in 1805 of organising infantry regiments into 4 fusilier & 1 grenadier battalions, each of 4 companies. So helmet not shako. Following Charles' reforms the army went back to the 1769 organisation for infantry regiments, namely 3 battalions - 2 field battalions of 6 fusilier companies, 1 garrson battalion of 4 fuslier companies which in time of war was to be augmented up to 6 companies, plus 2 grenadier companies which were detached to form combined battalions.
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Patrician Artifex

If they have the same uniform as line infantry, then they are not really interesting for the uniform, and since the recruitment limit of grenadier is already low, they won't have enough impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    If they have the same uniform as line infantry, then they are not really interesting for the uniform, and since the recruitment limit of grenadier is already low, they won't have enough impact.
    Well, they were the more experienced soldiers. Because the 3rd Rank of the infantry were typically deployed as skirmishers they frequently saw combat and to become a grenadier you had to have a marksmanship and valor citations. So the most physically fit where put into the grenadiers which lead to better men. Of course this applies to both Jung and Alt grenadiers but the Jung were typically the ' new ' guys.

Anyhow, i just thought i'd mention it because half of all grenadiers in 1805 where jung grenadiers.

There uniform was that of the other grenadiers i believe, except they had the fusilier headwear. Well if ye need to spice up Austria's roster it is a middle of the line unit ( Fusilier - Jung Grenadier - Alt Grenadier ) like the young guard i guess? ( not really )

Patrician

Well, they were the more experienced soldiers. Because the 3rd Rank of the infantry were typically deployed as skirmishers they frequently saw combat and to become a grenadier you had to have a marksmanship and valor citations. So the most physically fit where put into the grenadiers which lead to better men. Of course this applies to both Jung and Alt grenadiers but the Jung were typically the ' new ' guys.

Anyhow, i just thought i'd mention it because half of all grenadiers in 1805 where jung grenadiers.

There uniform was that of the other grenadiers i believe, except they had the fusilier headwear. Well if ye need to spice up Austria's roster it is a middle of the line unit ( Fusilier - Jung Grenadier - Alt Grenadier ) like the young guard i guess? ( not really )
    Aaargh - another myth that seems to be gathering strength as it is repeated!!!! This reform was forced through in June 1805 with the regiments under Mack's control. No new uniforms were issued and the Jung Grenadiers were supposed to receive Grenadier swords but there is some doubt that they received them. They were not select troops as 2 fusilier companies (from the 1st battalion) were designated wholesale as Grenadiers!
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Essling View Post
    Aaargh - another myth that seems to be gathering strength as it is repeated!!!! This reform was forced through in June 1805 with the regiments under Mack's control. No new uniforms were issued and the Jung Grenadiers were supposed to receive Grenadier swords but there is some doubt that they received them. They were not select troops as 2 fusilier companies (from the 1st battalion) were designated wholesale as Grenadiers!

Please don't kill me, please, i swear i will never mix up any units again! I promise sir Essling D:

Patrician

Please don't kill me, please, i swear i will never mix up any units again! I promise sir Essling D:
    Never fear kind Sir, I don't shoot people at Christmas!

Please do not take my attempt to stop this particular myth too hard. I do appreciate what you & others are trying to do - namely to make the game as historically correct as possible and include as wide a variety of units as possble. As a mere scribe, my comments are meant to try an give a more contextual approach - apologies if at times they may seem a bit too passionate.

In any case, do not lose any sleep over this and have a super Christmas & a happy New Year .

I would suggest to increase much the recruitment and keeping costs of troops and ships especially. At present point it's not challenging at all to keep lots of large and up-to-date armies both for the player and the AI. To my mind it must be a privilege of states with strong economy and wise balance only as it probably was historically relevant.

I have only one wish please make Ottoman army color in red because I am sick of seeing them all green in game and in many mods.In napolonic era most of the Ottoman units were wearing red colored uniforms with few exceptions.Also please dont give them English names and do not create new names for the units.For example israleys was the main ottoman unit for the Empire Total war but was not a historical unit.They just took SerdarKulu units and dress them little bit and give them a stupid name...

I hope you do that way.
    Last edited by fizy45; December 26, 2012 at 05:52 AM.