Thread: 3 Roman scenarios

Gnostiko's Avatar Campidoctor

Default 3 Roman scenarios

Title says it all; 3 what if's in the Roman (Byzantine) world...

1. What if the rebellion of George Maniakes had succeeded? Konstantinos IX is deposed and the military faction triumphs 39 years early.

2. What if Manuel I never had a son and was succeeded by Bela/Alexios? Potential union with Hungary.

3. What if Alexios III had suddenly developed a backbone and attacked the approaching army of the Fourth Crusade, instead of retreating? A decisive military victory for a vulnerable Emperor.

Torvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: 3 Roman scenarios

1. The defeat at Manzikert might have been averted, if Georgios wasn't himself deposed by some other ambitious general (read: Michael VI). Possible period of expansion.
    2. Would most likely secure a personal union with Hungary. However, it's unlikely the Hungarian people would take too kindly to an actual political union with the Empire, since they are catholic and the Empire Orthodox.
    3. This depends entirely on how decisive Alexios III's victory is.

Gnostiko's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Torvus View Post
    1. The defeat at Manzikert might have been averted, if Georgios wasn't himself deposed by some other ambitious general (read: Michael VI). Possible period of expansion.
    I never thought of Michael being militarily effective; I mean his former career was simply minister of military finance

2. Would most likely secure a personal union with Hungary. However, it's unlikely the Hungarian people would take too kindly to an actual political union with the Empire, since they are catholic and the Empire Orthodox.
    Excellent point about the clash of religions. However, I don't think it would really go beyond mild resentment unless Bela/Alexios and his Patriarch clashed with the Pope.

3. This depends entirely on how decisive Alexios III's victory is.
    Make it as (in)decisive as you want for your answer

Civis

I was working on an awesome alternate history TL myself where Bela III rules as Manuel's heir from 1180-1206. Even after the disastrous battle of Myriokephalon in 1176, does anyone think Bela-Alexios could have taken advantage of the 3rd Crusades' capture of Konya? In my TL Bela-Alexios marches alongside Frederick Barbarossa and comes out of it with the ultimate revenge for the defeat of 1176...seizing Konya.

Any takers?