Thread: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Boldog (fallen maiar) generals & BG preview (page 125)

A unit made by Louis Lux?! What year is it! Excellent work as always!
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Boldog (fallen maiar) generals & BG preview (page 125)

Did you just make the first actually good looking orc models and textures in all of TATW?

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Well don't they look cute n cuddly!

I know I'm late to the party but I am so glad to see Axe-Wielding Elves. Such an under appreciated pairing.

Also, Holy , I have played a lot of mods and I have to say I think Boldogs are the best looking unit I have ever seen in Medieval 2.
    Last edited by captainkrunch; August 31, 2018 at 09:24 PM.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    A unit made by Louis Lux?! What year is it! Excellent work as always!
    Thanks, I've been quietly making contributions to this mod for a while now, a few heroes and a couple of units.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    Did you just make the first actually good looking orc models and textures in all of TATW?
    There are some good Uruk-hai units that were included late in TATW and my own Lurtz hero. This was a meticulously done unit both in planning and execution, glad you guys like it..
    Last edited by Louis Lux; September 01, 2018 at 10:18 AM.

Thank you Louis.

Your models and skins have always been good.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by captainkrunch View Post
    I know I'm late to the party but I am so glad to see Axe-Wielding Elves. Such an under appreciated pairing.
    It is - and as players of Lothlórien or Eryn Galen will find against the iron clad hosts of Orcs, much appriciated ^^

Quote Originally Posted by JRR Tolkien
    $29. At this time therefore the Sindar were well armed, and they drove off all creatures of evil, and had peace again; but Thingol's armouries were stored with axes (the chief weapons of the Naugrim, and of the Sindar) ...
    - HoME 11; Grey Annals [year 1330 of the Trees]

... cf. the name 'Axe-elves' of the Sindar ...
    - HoME 11; Grey Annals; Commentary

$160. Here Haleth and his men fought with the Orcs that came down Sirion. In this battle they had help out of Doriath (for they dwelt upon its west-march), and Beleg the Bowman chief of the march-wards of Thingol brought great strength of the Eglath [Sindar] armed with axes into Brethil; and issuing from the deeps of the forest they took an Orc-legion at unawares and destroyed it.
    - HoME 11; Grey Annals [year 458 of the Sun]
    Last edited by Ngugi; September 01, 2018 at 01:09 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Elves of Eryn Galen preview video + Models preview (both on page 124)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    The DCI team is happy to present the fearsome Boldogs

BOLDOGS

Just as greater Maiar took the physical forms of Balrogs, Dragons, spiders and other beasts, some less powerful of the fallen Maiar in Morgoth's service took upon themselves the guise of Orcs, only much more powerful and perilous ones. Thus it was that the histories from the First Age speak of Great Orcs or Orc-captains who were not slain, and who reappeared in battle through years far longer than the span of the lives of Men.
    Now in the Second Age the new Dark Lord Sauron has summoned all evil that inhabits Middle-earth and some of these former, terrifying, generals and agents of Morgoth have heeded his call. Their armour is from the smithies of Barad-dûr itself and they carry arms that are enchanted for cruel purposes. They are put in command where the need for them is great, and the Dark Lord has great expectations on the North: to see Arnor fall, and the Elven nations eradicated.
    To this end, he send his Boldog commanders to strengthen the wars of the Orcs of the Misty Mountains and the Hill-men of the North, and they gladly let loose their hate and destructive will upon the Free Peoples...

COMMANDERS

BODYGUARD

Sauron's of Mordor terrible form is that of a man of more than human stature, but not gigantic, yet he is more feared than any dragon or other remaining demon. Not because of his prowess as a warrior, a wise lord uses others as his weapon, but because of his cunning and his dreadful powers as a sorcerer, and the world trembles in fear of the seemingly endless amount of hosts commanded by his dark theocracy.
    When he is forced to personally take part in battle however, he don a cruel black armour and brings his personal guard of Boldogs, deadly and forceful.

SAURON

Making of the Boldogs: I conceptualized the Boldogs with the help of Ngugi and Araval and I sought to reach new levels of quality and variety with this unit. The bodyguard and generals have combined over 40 brand new individually modeled and textured pieces of equipment plus 2 pieces made by Briarius for Myth Total War (skull and withered corpse). The original body and head was modeled by Lu Bu edited and textured by me.
    Visually the Boldogs are mostly based on the extensive concept art work done by Weta for Azog.
    I don't think I have ever seen a better unit made on the M2TW engine.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Video preview of OotMM out (page 126) + Boldog preview (page 125)

The DCI team presents a preview video of the

Orcs of the Misty Mountains

In an hour's endeavour the DCI team presents the Goblins and their beastly forces, aided by Maiar demons.
    Encouraged by Sauron to bring war to the Elves, Dwarves and free Men of Middle-earth, High chieftain Gorgol sets out to unite the wild Orcs of the Misty Mountains...

A correction: Taro_M made the Orc-drivers and Heavy Goblin Reavers. The Heavy Goblin Archers and Goblin Veterans are made by gunabang mod.

Source: https://youtu.be/8Ge1IFahRfk

Lore 01:45
    The Balrog 05:10
    Units through achievements 07:00
    Diplomacy 12:25
    Start settlements 14:05
    Suggested strategy 15:50
    Unit achievements example 18:30
    Starting generals 20:15
    Boldogs arrives 25:15
    Settlement restrictions 26:50
    Generals & BG models 28:35
    Army Roster 36:45
    Credits 58:25

Btw, end song got cut off, enjoy it in full here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTDa-vG2MQ
    Last edited by Ngugi; September 05, 2018 at 11:22 AM.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Patrician

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Video preview of OotMM out (page 126) + Boldog preview (page 125)

Nice Boldog spotlight at 31:14.

Nice! One step further, one less step!
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Nice nice!

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

very good work very well done
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    Nice Boldog spotlight at 31:14.
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory View Post
    Nice! One step further, one less step!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyres Δt Varanasi View Post
    Nice nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by ♔atthias♔ View Post
    very good work very well done
    We thank you, guys

Very much looking forward to this mod, pm me if you need beta testing done

I wholly understand it's probably too late for any changes, and the point is very minor, so please do not take offense and treat it more like a question than a complaint:

any reason why you didn't go for the "terrible facemask" route with the Dragonslayers?

In Silmarillion we can read the following:

Last of all the eastern force to stand firm were the Dwarves of Belegost, and thus they won renown. For the Naugrim withstood fire more hardily than either Elves or Men, and it was their custom moreover to wear great masks in battle hideous to look upon; and those stood them in good stead against the dragons. And but for them Glaurung and his brood would have withered all that was left of the Noldor. But the Naugrim made a circle about him when he assailed them, and even his mighty armour was not full proof against the blows of their great axes; and when in his rage Glaurung turned and struck down Azaghâl, Lord of Belegost, and crawled over him, with his last stroke Azaghâl drove a knife into his belly, and so wounded him that he fled the field, and the beasts of Angband in dismay followed after him.
    The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Ch 20, Of The Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad

and also:

It had a visor (after the manner of those that the Dwarves used in their forges for the shielding of their eyes), and the face of one that wore it struck fear into the hearts of all beholders, but was itself guarded from dart and fire.
    Unfinished Tales, Narn I Hîn Húrin, p. 98

I think it would be a very cool and unique feature to give them a more prominent faceplate for their helmets with some creative, horrifying visage - and maybe give them the "frighten nearby enemy" attribute due to that?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Design from the Lord of the Rings: Total War mod.

You can see a facemask on the first soldier to the right.
    Last edited by Veteraan; September 07, 2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags for rather big pictures

Pardon me, LittleDwarf, but not quite sure I follow?
    We have no unit named Dragonslayers, our equivalent is the Belegost Dragonbanes; but presuming its them you have in mind, they do already have masks:

Patrician

I think he means something more like a mask than a visor, with facial features and engravings such as these concepts made by TurnerMohan:

"hideous to look upon" is of course a subjective matter, but admittedly we found an enemy advancing with this cover over the face

which has a 'clean skull' touch to it, and a touch of a welding mask as well

IRL counterpart perhaps most the Sugarloaf Helmet

to be more chilling than somthing alike

A matter of less is more in this case, was our approach, though to each his own of course
    Last edited by Ngugi; September 07, 2018 at 11:25 AM.

I liked the Orcs Of Misty Mountain preview.

But one thing to the Moria Orcs.

Emm is the new design for that.

Not really bad though.

But they are a little bit fat.