Thread: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, get your copy and play folks!

Yes they're a mercenary unit for evil factions. They're not intended to be available in custom battles but you can enable them for Rhun by removing the 'no_custom' part of their attributes in export_descr_unit.

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, get your copy and play folks!

I managed to get it working, indeed, the trouble was with the naming of the folders, it seems that DCI
    "requires" to be in the folder named Third_Age_3
    Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    I managed to get it working, indeed, the trouble was with the naming of the folders, it seems that DCI
    "requires" to be in the folder named Third_Age_3
    Good that it works for you now.

However, DCI:LA certainly does not require the folder to be named 'Third_Age_3.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My own copy is named 'Third_Age_3_DCI-LA'. In fact with DCI:LA it is even simpler to change the mod name, as you only have to edit the TATW.cfg file (always make sure that is the cfg name, if not rename it to TATW.cfg) to look like this:

[features]
    mod = mods/Third_Age_3_DCI-LA # path to mod folder

Of course you have to use the name you yourself picked for the red part, this is just the name I personally use for the folder. The '# path to mod folder' is only there to explain what this specific line does.
    When editing files, always use Notepad++

For DCI:LA this is basically all you have to do, the DCILA.bat file which you use to start the mod, looks for the name of the folder the mod is started from. It then uses that name automatically. This means you should never have to edit anything in the DCILA.bat file to get the mod to start properly.
    Last edited by Veteraan; August 12, 2020 at 04:53 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Am I correct in assuming Withwnar is responsible for the Third Age date fix? My mod has a transition from Third to Fourth Age and I had considered using BC in the past, but never worked out how to get the numbers to count up. I've borrowed DCI's "brute force" approach of assigning the negative number every year along with some technical fixes related to the implementation and I'd like to know who to credit for this ingenuity beyond just "the DCI team".

Also, props to whoever decided to code this thing out to 2,800 turns and then managed to restrain themselves from writing an East Egg message.

Naturally, if my borrowing this script doesn't meet with the approval of the team, please let me know and it shall be removed from my mod posthaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Callistonian View Post
    Am I correct in assuming Withwnar is responsible for the Third Age date fix? My mod has a transition from Third to Fourth Age and I had considered using BC in the past, but never worked out how to get the numbers to count up. I've borrowed DCI's "brute force" approach of assigning the negative number every year along with some technical fixes related to the implementation and I'd like to know who to credit for this ingenuity beyond just "the DCI team".

Also, props to whoever decided to code this thing out to 2,800 turns and then managed to restrain themselves from writing an East Egg message.

Naturally, if my borrowing this script doesn't meet with the approval of the team, please let me know and it shall be removed from my mod posthaste.
    Withwnar is less active as he used to on these forums, although he might pop up and answer this himself anyway.
    But for now, this is typically something he has made indeed. Withwnar has a free use for all policy regarding his work, so I think you are good. Credits IMO are always nice and simply the polite way to do things.

In general I would like to point out that not all DCI:LA stuff is free to use, it's always best to contact the team first. And there is a lot of content from other sources present in DCI:LA.
    Last edited by Veteraan; August 25, 2020 at 08:27 AM.

icenii's Avatar Civis

Is the music in DCI:LA copyrighted or free to use when uploading to Youtube ? and if it's copyrighted is there a way to add back in the Med2 soundtrack ? I've looked around but not found a tutorial yet.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii " In the game of Life Death always wins. Patience is a Virtue that takes time to acquire. The Answer is "7". No 1 wins all the time except God and he cheats.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It's a mixed bag. There is some M2TW music, some TATW music, some music we have permission to use (see credits), some music that's free (see credits) and there are excerpts of copyrighted music.

Here's a tutorial about music modding: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-Med-2-s-Music If there's you can't find from there, it'd be a good place to ask about it too.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Callistonian View Post

Credit me if you like, Callistonian, but "DCILA" is enough as far as I'm concerned.

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - WIP

any torrent link for dci?
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - WIP

Quote Originally Posted by dannyalex View Post
    any torrent link for dci?
    The short and probably disappointing answer to that would be no.

Icon5 Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, get your copy and play folks!

Khazad Travellers don't have a picture when I right click them, just started a Dwarven campaign (Turn 14).

My campaign with NK went really well (Turn 89), but I got a little tired from using them (I wanted to try a different playstyle so I went with the Dwarves, OotMM are cool too).

My only complaint is that I feel that Rhovanion is stomping Rhûn on the early phase of the game (I barely see Rhûn on the offensive early game). I feel like Rhûn could be a little more aggressive.

Has anyone else had the same experience? [I experienced something similar when testing the Alpha Build back in private testing days, but it was way worst on the Alpha, on the Open Beta is not as bad].
    Last edited by Pyres Δt Varanasi; September 06, 2020 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyres Δt Varanasi View Post
    Khazad Travellers don't have a picture when I right click them, just started a Dwarven campaign (Turn 14).

My campaign with NK went really well (Turn 89), but I got a little tired from using them (I wanted to try a different playstyle so I went with the Dwarves, OotMM are cool too).

My only complaint is that I feel that Rhovanion is stomping Rhûn on the early phase of the game (I barely see Rhûn on the offensive early game). I feel like Rhûn could be a little more aggressive.

Has anyone else had the same experience? [I experienced something similar when testing the Alpha Build back in private testing days, but it was way worst on the Alpha, on the Open Beta is not as bad].
    Thanks Pyres, added it to the bug list.

Not sure about Rhûn. From my own experience it seems like they take a bit long to get going indeed, but if they get going, it can be quite challenging. In general (all factions) I noticed that there can be huge differences between one game and another. This is complicated stuff to get right though. Bolstering Rhûn a bit to make it more challenging for the 'Dwarven player' can easily lead to AI Rhûn wiping out eastern AI Dwarves too early.

jepavia's Avatar Laetus

First off I’d like to apologize for the sheer length of some of these and the fact that most of my examples will revolve around dwarves since this is my main campaign and I haven’t started another one yet. Some of these are bugs, feedback, and suggestions, I will try not to fill this with either of the three.

-Amazing shortcut system, really loving how you guys managed to give everyone their own unique interactions with this system.
    -Great unit balance (in the north at least).
    -Erebor battle map has terrain/mapping problems, at least at the base level of the settlement.
    -There are a few empty rebel settlements, particularly Erebor and Rhosghobel that I noticed.
    -A permanent cannot lose this battle trait on my faction heir. Seemed to fix itself after around 20 turns when giving away my next heir ancillary.
    -Angiggak (Hillmen village) port named “Village.”
    -Inconsistent morale for orcs of Misty Mountains, I do realize that the morale system is very intricate but something seems to be off as some battles versus high chieftains end in mass routs while some battles against captains end in crushing defeats at a level that should not be achievable for a few of their troops (both outnumbered me most of the time).
    -Very random battle crashes, all units have been used and tested multiple times without issue until the late 50s to early 60s where battles crashing become a regular thing (wolves turned off) (both field and sieges) After these turns, there were no more crashes.
    -Don’t know if I might be going insane but I think the game sometimes quick loads when the screen is off.
    -Iron Hills battle map slow in the deployment phase when defending, sometimes even slow throughout the whole battle (two armies that would not have any problems in the field.
    -Ballistae and Catapults sometimes refuse to work (open field and sieges, with their full 60 men) as in when you give them a command, they don’t fire, just hold their ground, aim, and stop the current command.
    -Battle ending timer sometimes does not show up (Mostly when sallying out).
    -AI gets too much money boosts (1 small town faction and 3 stacks).
    -AI starts sieges only to break it off 1 or 2 turns afterward even if they can easily win, ie stack against 1-3 units.
    -AI Eryn Galen somehow acquired an orc general, thought bribes were disabled so I don’t really know if that is the how.
    -AI sometimes doesn’t sally out during sieges, ie Angmar’s full-stack waited for 10 turns and never sallied against 3/4 stack.
    -Units training out of Gram appear to spawn in the mountain if the settlement is full (also applies to garrison units for AI)
    -Tôl Acharns can be cheesed for money. I got a whole half of an entire level of buildings on every settlement built during the event. Don’t know if intentional or not but just wanted to put this out there.
    -Double names for multiple units, noticeable in the region books (Durin’s Guard/Chosen, Ered Luin Spearmen/Wardens).
    -Balrog script was great although heavily hinted at as to exactly how to get it.

After doing a quick single turn check of every faction I noticed some things that stood out:

-Misty Mountains recruitment system seems very good, so good I might even play a short campaign with them.
    -Some bodyguards were linked to ancillaries and traits which is something I really liked and will definitely take into consideration for my next campaign, however, most factions lack this link and only have bodyguards available to everyone or restricted to characters (the easiest example is the firebeards and broadbeams for the two generals instead of the ring holders).
    -Archer bodyguards stats are bad for some factions, a cool concept for factions who are not skirmishers but not really a good payoff, since some archer units have overall better stats than the BG. Also not very special, might be better if they had something else or were a different type of skirmish unit (crossbows, axe throwers, lancers) or had a different special ability like stakes.
    -Some factions have way too many BG units (not a bad thing), while some only have three or four of which one or two are character restricted (Dwarves and Rhovanion).
    -Victory conditions for hill men seem odd as well as for orcs, these two peoples should hate the dwarves yet no one has to destroy the dwarves as a victory condition, I realize it might be hard due to the distance but the orcs at least could do that.
    -Really took me a while to understand the executioner but after trying sailing to the west with Lindon, figured it out pretty quickly after.

-Durin’s chosen and Khazad BG have almost the same stats, why not make them his BG and make Gundabad Champions unlockable with ancillary Gundabad Captain.
    -Really like the fact that most factions have different buildings for food even if it’s just aesthetic.
    -I am a bit confused about some of the guilds, what they do, and how to attract them to settlements. Thieves guild is pretty obvious, Explorers has a dedicated shortcut but all the rest I can get as the dwarves have not ever been offered (I am guessing that they are available because they have a dwarven architecture model and are listed in the buildings tab).
    -I have been enjoying the cavern expansion system even though there are so few of them. However, this is a really cool system all things considered.
    -In the financial scroll and settlement details scroll, farming should be renamed food production.
    -I have some generals with high tradition that don’t affect wastage, are they meant to? because the description for those higher levels of tradition tell me so.
    -Asked AI for a settlement (not a bribe), they gave it to me but with its current general and entire garrison. Can’t select either of the units but still getting the bonuses of having a garrison and general in the settlement details and buildings tab. General isn’t showing up in the military forces tab, almost as if he exists only in the context of that one settlement. Cannot disband or move them, attempting to move units into that settlement results in the transfer page however once the transfer goes through unit has a path to go to Lossarnach (from Athlin). (This will be the uploaded save).

I am absolutely loving the mod, even in its beta there is something about it that makes me want to play every campaign and try everything, not something I've said about any other Med 2 mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2vnj33...iltch.sav/file
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/b766a0...iltch.sav/file

Playing as Men of the Mountains now (finished up my AMAZING Rhovanion campaign before installing the patch), oddly enough I found them pretty easy to coast (I hesitate to call it turtling) on the strategic side. There is no immediate threat unless you engineer one: Mordor is too busy with Gondor, Elves, and (eventually) Rhovanion, Lorien is more than happy to ally with you, and Enedwaith has been on Very Good relations despite not even having a trade agreement with me.

Though I have to say, the battles as MotM really make for a challenge. Tamar has been my campaign MVP with that cavalry BG. Can't wait to pick a side and get into full gear!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by jepavia View Post
    First off I’d like to apologize for the sheer length of some of these and the fact that most of my examples will revolve around dwarves since this is my main campaign and I haven’t started another one yet. Some of these are bugs, feedback, and suggestions, I will try not to fill this with either of the three.

-Amazing shortcut system, really loving how you guys managed to give everyone their own unique interactions with this system.
    -Great unit balance (in the north at least).
    -Erebor battle map has terrain/mapping problems, at least at the base level of the settlement.
    -There are a few empty rebel settlements, particularly Erebor and Rhosghobel that I noticed.
    -A permanent cannot lose this battle trait on my faction heir. Seemed to fix itself after around 20 turns when giving away my next heir ancillary.
    -Angiggak (Hillmen village) port named “Village.”
    -Inconsistent morale for orcs of Misty Mountains, I do realize that the morale system is very intricate but something seems to be off as some battles versus high chieftains end in mass routs while some battles against captains end in crushing defeats at a level that should not be achievable for a few of their troops (both outnumbered me most of the time).
    -Very random battle crashes, all units have been used and tested multiple times without issue until the late 50s to early 60s where battles crashing become a regular thing (wolves turned off) (both field and sieges) After these turns, there were no more crashes.
    -Don’t know if I might be going insane but I think the game sometimes quick loads when the screen is off.
    -Iron Hills battle map slow in the deployment phase when defending, sometimes even slow throughout the whole battle (two armies that would not have any problems in the field.
    -Ballistae and Catapults sometimes refuse to work (open field and sieges, with their full 60 men) as in when you give them a command, they don’t fire, just hold their ground, aim, and stop the current command.
    -Battle ending timer sometimes does not show up (Mostly when sallying out).
    -AI gets too much money boosts (1 small town faction and 3 stacks).
    -AI starts sieges only to break it off 1 or 2 turns afterward even if they can easily win, ie stack against 1-3 units.
    -AI Eryn Galen somehow acquired an orc general, thought bribes were disabled so I don’t really know if that is the how.
    -AI sometimes doesn’t sally out during sieges, ie Angmar’s full-stack waited for 10 turns and never sallied against 3/4 stack.
    -Units training out of Gram appear to spawn in the mountain if the settlement is full (also applies to garrison units for AI)
    -Tôl Acharns can be cheesed for money. I got a whole half of an entire level of buildings on every settlement built during the event. Don’t know if intentional or not but just wanted to put this out there.
    -Double names for multiple units, noticeable in the region books (Durin’s Guard/Chosen, Ered Luin Spearmen/Wardens).
    -Balrog script was great although heavily hinted at as to exactly how to get it.

After doing a quick single turn check of every faction I noticed some things that stood out:

-Misty Mountains recruitment system seems very good, so good I might even play a short campaign with them.
    -Some bodyguards were linked to ancillaries and traits which is something I really liked and will definitely take into consideration for my next campaign, however, most factions lack this link and only have bodyguards available to everyone or restricted to characters (the easiest example is the firebeards and broadbeams for the two generals instead of the ring holders).
    -Archer bodyguards stats are bad for some factions, a cool concept for factions who are not skirmishers but not really a good payoff, since some archer units have overall better stats than the BG. Also not very special, might be better if they had something else or were a different type of skirmish unit (crossbows, axe throwers, lancers) or had a different special ability like stakes.
    -Some factions have way too many BG units (not a bad thing), while some only have three or four of which one or two are character restricted (Dwarves and Rhovanion).
    -Victory conditions for hill men seem odd as well as for orcs, these two peoples should hate the dwarves yet no one has to destroy the dwarves as a victory condition, I realize it might be hard due to the distance but the orcs at least could do that.
    -Really took me a while to understand the executioner but after trying sailing to the west with Lindon, figured it out pretty quickly after.

-Durin’s chosen and Khazad BG have almost the same stats, why not make them his BG and make Gundabad Champions unlockable with ancillary Gundabad Captain.
    -Really like the fact that most factions have different buildings for food even if it’s just aesthetic.
    -I am a bit confused about some of the guilds, what they do, and how to attract them to settlements. Thieves guild is pretty obvious, Explorers has a dedicated shortcut but all the rest I can get as the dwarves have not ever been offered (I am guessing that they are available because they have a dwarven architecture model and are listed in the buildings tab).
    -I have been enjoying the cavern expansion system even though there are so few of them. However, this is a really cool system all things considered.
    -In the financial scroll and settlement details scroll, farming should be renamed food production.
    -I have some generals with high tradition that don’t affect wastage, are they meant to? because the description for those higher levels of tradition tell me so.
    -Asked AI for a settlement (not a bribe), they gave it to me but with its current general and entire garrison. Can’t select either of the units but still getting the bonuses of having a garrison and general in the settlement details and buildings tab. General isn’t showing up in the military forces tab, almost as if he exists only in the context of that one settlement. Cannot disband or move them, attempting to move units into that settlement results in the transfer page however once the transfer goes through unit has a path to go to Lossarnach (from Athlin). (This will be the uploaded save).

I am absolutely loving the mod, even in its beta there is something about it that makes me want to play every campaign and try everything, not something I've said about any other Med 2 mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2vnj33...iltch.sav/file
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/b766a0...iltch.sav/file

Thank you for this extensive feedback. I will copy it to our development forum. You really don't have to apologise for big chunks of feedback, especially not if it is quality feedback! That goes for everyone of course.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Playing as Men of the Mountains now (finished up my AMAZING Rhovanion campaign before installing the patch), oddly enough I found them pretty easy to coast (I hesitate to call it turtling) on the strategic side. There is no immediate threat unless you engineer one: Mordor is too busy with Gondor, Elves, and (eventually) Rhovanion, Lorien is more than happy to ally with you, and Enedwaith has been on Very Good relations despite not even having a trade agreement with me.

Though I have to say, the battles as MotM really make for a challenge. Tamar has been my campaign MVP with that cavalry BG. Can't wait to pick a side and get into full gear!
    Good to hear, have fun.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Guys,
    I'd like to ask permission to use a few models of resources from DCI in the SSHIP mod (textiles, orchard, honey, textiles and maybe a few more).
    I'd be grateful for such permission.
    cheers
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

I think resources are from from Albion (made by Zantorian)

Maybe some additional ones were made by Withwnar. I'm sure he will be okay with you adding them to your mod.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

I made the textiles one, partly using bits from Zantorian's ones. So you'd still need his permission for that I guess. For my part that's fine, no permission needed.