Thread: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, get your copy and play folks!

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    The only crash I've had in my 70+ turn campaign is when I first tried to start a campaign (no message either). Hasn't happened since, and I'm using steam.
    Always good to hear about someone not having problems for a change.

I've done custom battles with creature units and have been fine.
    Seems you truly are lucky then.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, get your copy and play folks!

I tried with a custom battles - crashes occur if different monsters are present in the armies. Crash can happen both during the battle load and in the battle itself
    People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception in politics, and they always will be, until they have learned to seek out the interests of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and social phrases, declarations and promises
    medieval 2 total war engine overhaul project

I made a small patch (my crashes due to monsters stopped with this).
    A couple of points:
    1- I have only vague guesses about what was crash
    2- something may not work properly now
    3- maybe there will be other crashes (for sure they will)
    4- maybe this is due to a mistake by the authors of the mod, I have no idea
    5- I did this only in order to be able to watch the battles, it is better not to play the campaign with this patch.
    6- it may not work for you

Maybe this will help someone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G9z...ew?usp=sharing
    Installation:
    unpack the dci_test.7z archive into the folder with the modification, launch the mod using the DCILA.bat file from this archive.

Turn off the antivirus

This is a slightly modified version of the files of this project:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...erhaul-Project, dont include these files in your own modifications without my permission
    Last edited by youneuoy; July 08, 2020 at 02:02 PM.
    People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception in politics, and they always will be, until they have learned to seek out the interests of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and social phrases, declarations and promises

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    I tried with a custom battles - crashes occur if different monsters are present in the armies. Crash can happen both during the battle load and in the battle itself
    With monsters I take it you mean Ents, Wolves, Spiders, and perhaps the Balrog and Mumakil.

It's a well known bug that plagues a (significant) part of the players while others have no problem with those units at all. That is why we added the Ctrl + X shortcut that removes Ents, Wolves and Spiders from the game, or makes them recruitable again if you so choose. There is a sort of a solution and we are working on a replacement for the Ents. It will take some time though. This is a problem that is not specific to DCI:LA by the way.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    With monsters I take it you mean Ents, Wolves, Spiders, and perhaps the Balrog and Mumakil.

It's a well known bug that plagues a (significant) part of the players while others have no problem with those units at all. That is why we added the Ctrl + X shortcut that removes Ents, Wolves and Spiders from the game, or makes them recruitable again if you so choose. There is a sort of a solution and we are working on a replacement for the Ents. It will take some time though. This is a problem that is not specific to DCI:LA by the way.
    Yeah, that’s bad. Perhaps all modders make some kind of mistake when creating such unitsI think it would be nice if other players tried the fast fix, which I gave above.

I made a small patch (my crashes due to monsters stopped with this).
    A couple of points:
    1- I have only vague guesses about what was crash
    2- something may not work properly now
    3- maybe there will be other crashes (for sure they will)
    4- maybe this is due to a mistake by the authors of the mod, I have no idea
    5- I did this only in order to be able to watch the battles, it is better not to play the campaign with this patch.
    6- it may not work for you

Maybe this will help someone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G9z...ew?usp=sharing
    Installation:
    unpack the dci_test.7z archive into the folder with the modification, launch the mod using the DCILA.bat file from this archive.

Turn off the antivirus

This is a slightly modified version of the files of this project:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...erhaul-Project, dont include these files in your own modifications without my permission
    Has anyone tried this? If this cures crashes, then I can polish this option.

As Lindon, i've finally reached mordor. And unfortunately, 90% of my battles crash.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    13:49:02.425 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE213:49:02.425 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    13:49:02.428 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    13:49:02.428 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    13:49:02.429 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    13:49:02.429 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    13:49:02.430 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    13:49:02.430 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    13:49:08.632 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 12294, column 3
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction ireland (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    13:49:08.632 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 12294, column 3
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction egypt (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction sicily (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction normans (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction saxons (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction scotland (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction moors (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction turks (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction mongols (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    13:49:08.633 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 12294, column 3
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction milan (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    13:49:08.633 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 12294, column 3
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction england (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction france (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction hre (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction portugal (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction spain (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction venice (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction hrebels (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction poland (bdg town vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction papal_states (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction byzantium (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction aztecs (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction timurids (bdg invalid_level vs clt huge_city)

The trolls might be the problem?

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

We've been trying to identify the problem, but no luck so far.

You can try this patch for the mordor units, just extract to your Third_Age_3 folder. You can also lower the unit quality in your medieval 2 video settings.

It's savegame compatible so if you can try it and report back we would appreciate it.
    Last edited by Louis Lux; July 25, 2020 at 02:10 PM.

Thank you sir! Will do.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Has anyone tried this? If this cures crashes, then I can polish this option.
    I tried running this but I can't get the game to start. If I run normally, a black screen flashes for a moment. If I run as admin, I get an error message that windows can't find HotSeatTool.exe.

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    I tried running this but I can't get the game to start. If I run normally, a black screen flashes for a moment. If I run as admin, I get an error message that windows can't find HotSeatTool.exe.
    Not good
    A couple of tips:
    1 - to start, disable the antivirus if you haven’t done so (if this patch helps you, then later you can simply add program files, and even better, the entire game folder to the antivirus exceptions).
    2 - enable borderless window mode, instead of the usual full-screen mode, the program does not work very well with full-screen mode. In the modification file config:
    [video]
    windowed = true
    borderless_window = 1
    Also put your screen resolution in the lines:
    campaign_resolution = 1920 1080
    battle_resolution = 1920 1080

3 - if the antivirus was turned on during unpacking the program, make sure that the program files are not damaged or deleted (you can simply unzip them from the archive again).
    4 - if this does not work, then try the following settings in the limits.youneuoycfg file:
    Starting_mod=1
    Mod_CFG_Name=TATW.cfg
    In this case, you can run the program as administrator (you will not need to start the game using the .bat file, but using the HotSeatTool.exe file)
    5 - if the game still does not start, then write your version of windows, the path to the game folder and send me the files from the logs folder of your game (several pieces should appear there).

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Step 4 did the trick! I got the game running and did 3 custom battles with creatures and got no crashes (the last one was a stack of wolves vs a stack of white wolves vs a stack of spiders vs a stack of ents). It looks promising so far but I can't test any more today. I wonder what did you do to fix them?

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    Step 4 did the trick! I got the game running and did 3 custom battles with creatures and got no crashes (the last one was a stack of wolves vs a stack of white wolves vs a stack of spiders vs a stack of ents). It looks promising so far but I can't test any more today. I wonder what did you do to fix them?
    Great, I'm glad it helped you.
    A short answer about what I did: I turned off the code in the game that caused this crash (it was called only if there were problem units on the battlefield). I’ll probably figure it out in more detail if it turns out that it really helps - in this case it makes sense to study this code in more detail, as well as improve this fix.
    I would like to hear more reviews from other players.

ekusik's Avatar Foederatus

Step 4 seems to work too, I can use wolves and ents in a few battles.
    Though I must start mod through .exe file. If not, I encounter two CA_LIBS 'Another instance of MedieavalII: Total War is already running' and sometimes encounter CTD.
    Maybe I missed something, because I keep both Third_Age_3 and This(named Third_Age_DCI) and edit patch to fit my situation.
    But my apologize, I cannot gather more information now, it too late at night. If more specific instance appeare, I will report.
    Last edited by ekusik; July 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekusik View Post
    Step 4 seems to work too, I can use wolves and ents in a few battles.
    Though I must start mod through .exe file. If not, I encounter two CA_LIBS 'Another instance of MedieavalII: Total War is already running' and sometimes encounter CTD.
    Maybe I missed something, because I keep both Third_Age_3 and This(named Third_Age_DCI) and edit patch to fit my situation.
    But my apologize, I cannot gather more information now, it too late at night. If more specific instance appeare, I will report.
    Yes, if you follow step 4, the program will launch the game itself. If in this case you launch it using a .bat file(HotSeatTool.exe launch added to the .bat file from the archive with the program), then the game will be launched twice (once by the program and once by the .bat file).
    It’s good that everything seems to work as it should — I will wait impatiently for feedback after more battles.

Laying siege to the Black Gate, Mordor sallies out and I'm not getting reinforced by the second army (the red box seems to only encompass the settlement instead of my army), is this a feature or a bug?

I will wait impatiently for feedback after more battles.
    I tried some custom settlements:Rivendell, Angrenost(Isengard), Minas Anor, Minas Ithil, and Black Gate with two or three wolves and two Ent or Balrog(along with 8-7 infantary units.)
    It works well and not cause CTD. Only exception is I use ALT+TAB during battle to see some internet page. But I think it is unusual play for most of players so many players would not encounter this situation.
    Last edited by ekusik; July 11, 2020 at 09:49 AM.

I tried some custom settlements:Rivendell, Angrenost(Isengard), Minas Anor, Minas Ithil, and Black Gate with two or three wolves and two Ent or Balrog(along with 8-7 infantary units.)
    It works well and not cause CTD. Only exception is I use ALT+TAB during battle to see some internet page. But I think it is unusual play for most of players so many players would not encounter this situation.
    Good.
    In full-screen mode, there are crashes with alt-tab, the solution is to play in windowed mode without a frame in full screen:
    enable borderless window mode, instead of the usual full-screen mode, the program does not work very well with full-screen mode. In the modification file config:
    [video]
    windowed = true
    borderless_window = 1
    Also put your screen resolution in the lines:
    campaign_resolution = 1920 1080
    battle_resolution = 1920 1080

Thank you. I try it.
    I also notice character's age shown up only in family tree in campaign games after I introduced patch. I don't check the reason for now. I search it tommorow.

Thank you. I try it.
    I also notice character's age shown up only in family tree in campaign games after I introduced patch. I don't check the reason for now. I search it tommorow.
    Yes, there is such a problem on the disk version of the game (the age of the characters is not displayed, this is due to the possibility of introducing immortal characters with an age of several thousand years , example- https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15907504) and it is fixed in version M2TWEOP v1.18 (above I provided a link to a test version of the program, a newer one you can take in the subforum indicated in my signature). https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15933163 - here I indicated how to activate the fix of crashes when using monsters in battle.
    Last edited by youneuoy; July 11, 2020 at 12:42 PM.