Thread: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, get your copy and play folks!

Depends on the player, faction etc., the only estimation that we give is the campaign end date which has been chosen to give rather more than enough of time.
    I think it's the amount of generals that increases. If you think you have too many generals and would rather like to get rid of them then you can use the Executioner feature.
    I can't remember exactly the character age limit but it's way over 100 years.

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, get your copy and play folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    We could not remain here if we would do that and we still kind of like the place. To be honest, I don't get the commotion, just always keep a copy of the TATW folder at hand and the whole problem goes away.

Having said that, I am working on implementing an option that will make installing TATW a lot simpler for those that don't have it already.

Congratz by the way, you are the first one to complain about this, at least that I know of. I expected it to happen sooner, I must admit.
    I hope you understand, first it creates more steps where you can make a mistake, and depending on person some people do not have the space or internet speed for all that.
    When I am making a choice which mod I could play, I will often lean on the one that is easier to install, which I suspect is most people.

We could not remain here if we would do that and we still kind of like the place.
    But this I do not understand, can't you just give the credits to Third Age and leave disclaimer that its a one piece installer for simplicity sake?

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

After so many years its here and we also to enjoy it

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    I hope you understand, first it creates more steps where you can make a mistake, and depending on person some people do not have the space or internet speed for all that.
    When I am making a choice which mod I could play, I will often lean on the one that is easier to install, which I suspect is most people.

But this I do not understand, can't you just give the credits to Third Age and leave disclaimer that its a one piece installer for simplicity sake?
    Of course I understand that, why do you think I spent the effort to come up with a solution for installing TATW very fast with far less steps. And as it happens, Gigantus was doing something similar about the same time. Of course his solution is much more sophisticated, while mine is a bit smaller in download size, basically has one line of text to go with it and has no (nifty) extra options at all.

It looks like you are not aware of what happened with DAC when they decided to go against KK 's instructions and merged TATW with DAC, creating one single installer to use. They are not present on this site anymore. We decided not to go that route as this is still very much our 'headquarters' and the place where all our development forums are situated. Personally I might be inclined to agree that after King Kong being absent for so long and impossible to get in contact with, we can decide to be much more flexible. However I also respect the site managers decision to stick to what they promised to do and that is to respect the modders instructions always.

The discussion about all this has been concluded quite some time ago by now. You can find it HERE. We are not going to repeat it here as it basically is about policies not Third Age Total War.
    Last edited by Veteraan; July 05, 2020 at 02:05 PM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Of course I understand that, why do you think I spend the effort to come up with a solution for installing TATW very fast with far less steps. And as it happens, Gigantus was doing something similar about the same time. Of course his solution is much more sophisticated, while mine is a bit smaller in download size, basically has one line of text to go with it and has no (nifty) extra options at all.

It looks like you are not aware of what happened with DAC when they decided to go against KK 's instructions and merged TATW with DAC, creating one single installer to use. They are not present on this site anymore. We decided not to go that route as this is still very much our 'headquarters' and the place where all our development forums are situated. Personally I might be inclined to agree that after King Kong being absent for so long and impossible to get in contact with, we can decide to be much more flexible. However I also respect the site managers decision to stick to what they promised to do and that is to respect the modders instructions always.

The discussion about all this has been concluded quite some time ago by now. You can find it HERE. We are not going to repeat it here as it basically is about policies not Third Age Total War.
    Thanks for your answer, and you were right, I was not aware of DaC exodus and the discussion.

Question, I started a test campaign with Elendil, and my message feed got bombarded with "Sail into the West", at a point I thought they were infinite.

Thanks for your answer, and you were right, I was not aware of DaC exodus and the discussion.

Question, I started a test campaign with Elendil, and my message feed got bombarded with "Sail into the West", at a point I thought they were infinite.
    I must admit I don't quite get what you mean by this.

Seems like you left Shift+W on hold for a time.

ekusik's Avatar Foederatus

Thank you. At least my finance still have some margin so I will try more turns.

Recently I tried compatibility mode for M2TW to solve Ents Wolves problem of my windows 10.
    It doesn't work. Almost everytime I use ents or ai use wolves, it works well. But when I use wolves or ai use ents, it cause crash. It's strange...
    Again, Ctrl+X is confirmed to be good solution...

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    I can't remember exactly the character age limit but it's way over 100 years.
    It's random for each character: somewhere between 120 and 150.

What is a good counter to the wolf/werewolf units playing as Rhovanion. Maybe it's my luck, but the archers haven't been that effective against them. My Rhovanion hunters javelin units seem to do fine when the wolves are pinned down, but I don't always have them available.

They die off quickly enough in autoresolve, but in battle these wolves are insanely good at pinning down my cavalry...which throws a wrench in my tactics.

Also, I've seen spiders in the custom battles, are they available for recruitment as Mordor/Evil Factions?

I don't think there's a miracle solution. I haven't played against them either, though. Have you tried horsearchers? I think you should try to weaken them with missles and try to tackle with spearmen.
    Spiders may be recruited by Mordor and OotMM, in addition to availability as mercenaries.

Horsearchers are a good idea. I refrained from recruiting them as often once Rhun was dealt with, as they're less effective against the heavily armored infantry makeup of Mordor's armies. But perhaps I should reconsider.

I'm really loving Rhovanion, I'm enjoying this faction more than Dale from DaC; it's a fresh take on MOS Dale, but even more challenging with the tighter unit variety.

Also thank you!

First of all Great Mod, really good first impression I must say!

The only problem I have that it really crashes a lot and at random places. Sometimes when I load my campaign up, sometimes with the end turn or when I load into a battle. At the moment (which is roughly around turn 30 with Mordor) it crashes every 2-3 turns at the end turn or at a battle... do you guys experience the same?

Yes, I and other team members have been testing battles that involve Mordor for almost a week now. Those crashes were a big and very unwelcome surprise for us. It proves very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. So any suggestions or observations about them are welcome.

You are playing as Mordor then?

You don't mention crashes during battle though, which turn out to be a big problem when playing against Mordor. Crashes during battle do not happen in your game?

A few other questions that might be useful:

Did you use the DCI installer or did you install DCI:LA manually?

Did you notice the 'cleaner.bat' doing its job? You would only see this when using the installer.

And to be sure especially when you installed manually, please use the cleaner again and see if that helps. It should be in your Third Age 3 folder.
    Last edited by Veteraan; July 07, 2020 at 05:15 PM.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

At least some of the battle crashes would be from the germanicu5 battle scripts. Unfortunately battle scripts are inherently unstable.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Yes, I and other team members have been testing battles that involve Mordor for almost a week now. Those crashes were a big and very unwelcome surprise for us. It proves very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. So any suggestions or observations about them are welcome.

You are playing as Mordor then?

You don't mention crashes during battle though, which turn out to be a big problem when playing against Mordor. Crashes during battle do not happen in your game?

A few other questions that might be useful:

Did you use the DCI installer or did you install DCI:LA manually?

Did you notice the 'cleaner.bat' doing its job? You would only see this when using the installer.

And to be sure especially when you installed manually, please use the cleaner again and see if that helps. It should be in your Third Age 3 folder.
    Thanks for your reply Veteraan.

Regarding your questions:
    - Yes I do play as Mordor
    - I have not had any crashes during battles so far, only when loading into the battle
    - I used the DCI installer for installation - however one piece of information which I dont know if it is important: After the installatin was done (using Athelastan Installation video guide on youtube) I had to rename the configuration.cfg manually to "TATW.cfg" Otherwise it would always just load Med 2 instead of the mod
    - Yes I remember the cleaner running through, didnt watch the files being removed though

I will try and run the cleaner again. Happy to report back if you need further feedback.

That you have no crashes playing as Mordor is a surprise, but this (modded) game always surprises you it seems. I was wondering why there weren't more reports coming in from Mordor units crashing during battle. However, this looks like two different problems. Playing as Lothlórien Elves for testing purposes, I never had crashes during end turn or while loading the game or a battle. Well, we have to try playing a Mordor too then, which I planned to do anyway to see what happens with the battle crashes. we might see the crashes you mention then, although I hope not.

The Configuration.cfg is there because of the new TATW installer Gigantus recently put online in the TATW thread. I take it you used that to install TATW. It's a nice piece of work, but there are a lot of submods that use the original TATW.cfg. Gigantus did add a fix for that recently, but you probably have installed TATW before that was there, or had not noticed it. Renaming it to TATW.cfg does indeed fix it.

We are working on a solution that will make sure you don't have to manually rename anything.

You are around turn 30. I hope I'm wrong about this, but you might get battle crashes too if the elite units start to become available in bigger numbers.
    Last edited by Veteraan; July 08, 2020 at 05:52 AM.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    At least some of the battle crashes would be from the germanicu5 battle scripts. Unfortunately battle scripts are inherently unstable.
    That's what I was thinking. It's good to have some sort of confirmation in that regard.

The only crash I've had in my 70+ turn campaign is when I first tried to start a campaign (no message either). Hasn't happened since, and I'm using steam. I've done custom battles with creature units and have been fine.