Thread: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, get your copy and play folks!

You can delete the third_age_3 folder altogether and reinstall using the zip files we provide. Start with third age 3.2:

1. Download the file below

Third_Age_3.7zip N.B. file size is 3.29 GB

2. Unzip the file in the 'mods' folder of your Kingdoms install. The result should be a folder named 'Third_Age_3' located in the Kingdoms 'mods' folder.

3. Optional, check if a TATW campaign can be started.

And then install DCI: Last Alliance:

1. Download the file below

DCI: Last Alliance Public Beta 7zip Download | Mirror #1 | Mirror #2|

2. Extract/unzip the downloaded DCI_LA_BETA.7z file into your '...\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3' folder. Accept overwrite and/or merge folders when requested.
    This process will overwrite your TATW files, meaning that you will not be able to play TATW.

3. Run DcilaCleaner.bat - located in '...\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3' folder This is absolutely necessary.

4. Run CreateLauncher.bat - located in '...\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3\dcilaOtherFiles' folder.This creates a shortcut on your desktop, creates DCILA.bat and DCILA_NoBaiSwitcher.bat, and deletes Third_Age.bat.

5. Launch the mod by double clicking the 'DCI Last Alliance' icon on your desktop or the DCILA.bat file (DCILA_NoBaiSwitcher.bat will run DCI:LA without the battle AI switcher)

Optional: delete the Third Age Total War shortcut from your desktop
    Last edited by Louis Lux; July 19, 2020 at 08:04 AM.

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, get your copy and play folks!

Did a full uninstall and deleting folders for tatw and all the mods for it i had and reinstalled tatw and dci and thats worked! Thanks for the help

I've been greatly enjoying this mod so far. For me, the heroes are the main attraction - beautiful models, great UI, well-written ancillaries and traits, custom selection audio - they really sell the idea that you're playing in the Second Age more than any other feature. This is probably the only M2 mod I've every played where I actually care about my family tree. And they're not just nice to look at, the battle map balance is such that having a hero leading the army makes a huge difference for the outcome.

Another thing that really impresses me is the macro strategic balance. The campaign stays challenging well into the later stages and I've had some memorable and realistic strategic interactions with the CAI. The Tol Acharn mechanic is balanced perfectly allowing your allies to be useful but not making it too easy to wipe out the evil factions. I've been having an absolute blast Tol-Acharning with Elendil and his armies of elven allies, what a great mechanic. Even the major "ally betrays you" script (which I won't spoil) doesn't feel contrived and annoying (as I feared it would) but actually appropriate for the stage of the campaign at which it occurs. Plus, there's plenty of warning that it's coming. By around turn 100 in just about any other mod, the campaign is basically over and you're just cleaning up the remaining AI factions. In DCI, it's still challenging and interesting developments are occurring. Somehow DCI has pulled off the perfect macro balance that most mods can only dream of.

My only suggestion would be to change up the campaign map. It feels too similar to TATW's and many of the region/settlement names are very uninteresting: "West Rhudaur" for a settlement, etc. There are a lot of cardinal direction region names.

My only question is: how did you guys manage to get Harad to invade Tolfalas by sea? It works so perfectly. CA couldn't even get the vanilla AIs to invade Britain. But here's Harad invading Tolfalas with just enough units so that I've (Numenor) been trading the island back and forth with them for the last 50 turns. It's incredible. I see you didn't use Gigantus' trick of a stray tile from the mainland nor does Harad even have a special AI type. If it's a script... man that is one beautiful script to feel so organic. But I'm fairly certain I've seen the AI loading units onto ships to attack. So how'd you do it?

Patrician

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the custom generals, heroes and their bodyguards, hopefully we'll add even more to the full release.

I've heard similar complaints about the settlement names. Personally I don't care that much about settlement names and can only guess on why Ngugi decided on cardinal direction names. My guess is that he wanted to stick to lore and not just make up names.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

My guess is that [Ngugi] wanted to stick to lore and not just make up names.
    Yep, that's basically it. There were some name changes, and new names for new settlements, based on lore where lore offered something. I don't recall any being invented.

Another thing that really impresses me is the macro strategic balance. The campaign stays challenging well into the later stages and I've had some memorable and realistic strategic interactions with the CAI. ... By around turn 100 in just about any other mod, the campaign is basically over and you're just cleaning up the remaining AI factions. In DCI, it's still challenging and interesting developments are occurring.
    That was Ngugi's wish and he spent a great deal of effort in making it be that way. He would be very pleased to hear this.

My only question is: how did you guys manage to get Harad to invade Tolfalas by sea?
    Errr... I'm not sure that we did, not intentionally. We have "prefers_naval_invasions = yes" in descr_sm_factions for Harad but that's a leftover from TATW.

If it's a script... man that is one beautiful script to feel so organic. But I'm fairly certain I've seen the AI loading units onto ships to attack. So how'd you do it?
    We do have a script that puts armies into ships and sails them to Gondor to disembark and attack: "Black Númenórean Raids", named "Corsair Invasions" in the script (also a leftover from TATW but completely revamped). Goben Tolfalas is a possible target (of many) but only if owned by player NK, so if Goben Tolfalas wasn't yours when Harad attacked it then it wasn't that script.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    Rhun is definitely not for the faint of heart. They're roughly evenly matched with Rhovanion, but to beat Dwarves that I outnumbered my fights looked like Benny Hill segments. At least they're not as unstoppable as DaC Dwarves can be. Unfortunately they seem to be gunning for me hard. I've been able to beat off their attacks against Rhomen, but when I went to take the province of North Rhun I have a large enemy ahead of me. Hopefully I can find a way to beat their partial stack and get some time to breathe.
    Can we trade Dwarves, because mine sent one half-stack into Rhun, got their butts beat, and left me (Rhovanion) hanging to deal with the Easterlings on my own

I have a question regarding the Oathbreaker choice of the men of the mountains. I'm not playing as them but as Mordor. I paid them 3 times after taking certain settlements to convince them to fight on my side. But then they always choose the "Oathkeeper" way and fight with Numenor against me. Even after reloading a couple of times the turn before they choose they always choose against me. Is this hardcoded that they will not join Sauron when you play Mordor or am I doing something wrong? I wanted to play kind of "lore accurate" so with them betraying Numenor if possible...

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Essentially, by agreeing to their demands they will continue to consider fighting on your side, and whether they eventually do or not comes down to random chance (not necessarily 50/50). By not agreeing to their demands they will decide not to fight on your side.

They definitely can choose to side with Mordor but there's nothing you can do to force that decision.

Thanks for your explanation Withwnar, appreciate it.

Well there is one thing left I can do and that is TAKE ALL OF THEIR LAND IN THE NAME OF SAURON

Fahnat's Avatar Ordinarius
    Citizen

Blog Entries

The ordeal of the mountain men goes on in this series of mine.

I've yet to play the Men of the Mountains (playing them third as to not saturate my time near that theater), but I'm very intrigued by the design and culture. What were the inspirations?

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Weta Workshop's Army of the Dead designs, lore and their homelands to put it shortly.

Is there a map or list of mercenaries and their AoR?

Patrician

We don't have such a map. You can check the descr_mercenaries.txt in your Third_Age_3\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder for a list of available mercenaries.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

You can make such maps with Withwnar's map tool: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ul-2015-update

Thank you Louis Lux and Araval!

LiGizD's Avatar Libertus

https://youtu.be/R3Noq5BgpWc

Have a watch on my new series if you guys want
    Last edited by LiGizD; July 25, 2020 at 01:09 PM.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Harad, I noticed yesterday. Should be fun.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Ahhh this is such a fun mod. Love it, love it, love it!

To all that worked on this, with whole heart, thank you!!!

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TechnSVN View Post
    Ahhh this is such a fun mod. Love it, love it, love it!

To all that worked on this, with whole heart, thank you!!!
    And thank you for your kind words.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze