Thread: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Always fun to come back to the Third age community and see new stuff coming out. I'm reliving good times. Thanks to all those involved!!! Amazing to see the progress

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Quote Originally Posted by intel View Post
    Yeah. Turns out my game just crashes with a n y unit in custom battle. I must have messed up my installation - no wonder, it took 5 steps at least. Gotta try it again today.

Edit: 3 separate installation attempts, CTD upon entering battle. Other mods work fine.

Installation: extracted TATW 3.0 and 3.2 patch to a separate folder, then DCI into another. Copied and pasted contents of DCI folder into TATW folder.

I use regular, non-steam legacy (DVD) M2TW: K install.

Error logs shows buildings DB errors in TATW's EDU folder.

Shame
    Don't know why your installs keep failing, but I do know it works perfectly with a disk install, as I still use that one myself.

The simple way to do this:

1. Download this TATW install file N.B. file size is 3.29 GB

2. Unzip the file in the 'mods' folder of your Kingdoms install. The result should be a folder named 'Third_Age_3' located in the Kingdoms 'mods' folder.

3. Optional, check if TATW can be started.

4. ready to install DCI Last Alliance.

5. Download the below files:

DCI: Last Alliance Public Beta Part 1of2 Download | Mirror #1 | Mirror #2 |
    DCI: Last Alliance Public Beta Part 2of2 Download |
    Mirror #1 | Mirror #2 |

DCI: Last Alliance Public Beta Patch Installer Download

6. Install the three files you downloaded. The installers should be able to detect the correct folder automatically.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Veteraan; November 11, 2020 at 05:13 PM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Thanks! I finally made it work - apparently my ancient copy of M2TW s o m e h o w doesn't like .7z DCI package. As I'm writing it I've already played several custom battles. Now for my first impressions:

1) The orc units are absolutely EXCEPTIONAL. Particularly compared to KK's units, feels like they're a generation ahead.
    2) Unit rosters are varied and well rounded, with each faction being distinct in gameplay and looks. Great job.
    3) Spiders or Werewolves still caused CTD, though not immediately. So this is an improvement.

Overall, great job. I'm very impressed.

Good to hear you got it working.

3) should not happen though. Did you install the third file, the patch installer?

Yep. Dunno why, but it happened nontheless - the battle was 3x Ents, 3xHurons, plenty orcs and Spiders and werewolves.

If those Orcs are Mordor Orcs, they could have caused the crash, especially when there are elite Orc units present. It could also happen with Orc units of the Misty Mountains, but less often. This typically happens when you play at the highest settings. Lowering them a bit might help.

We are looking at the Great Huorns also, as I recently tested them and it seemed they crashed the game. This was unexpected and not yet reproduced by us. You mention Huorns, which shouldn't crash in the first place. Perhaps they are offended that you always call them Hurons.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

The mordor units are next level but sadly M2 can't handle them that well because of the quality and the amount of soldiers in the battlefield. We did a lot of work optimizing them but the occasional ctd is still an issue, we plan to address it though.

So mordor units are the likely cause of your ctd.

We haven't really had any reports of ctds linked to creatures since the patch. The creature ctds were caused by a problem with the name of one of the skeleton bones, they would usually manifest themselves instantly or shortly after starting a battle.

The ctds linked to the mordor units usually happen in the middle or towards the end of battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Perhaps they are offended that you always call them Hurons.
    That's just my inner German expressing himself

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    The mordor units are next level but sadly M2 can't handle them that well because of the quality and the amount of soldiers in the battlefield. We did a lot of work optimizing them but the occasional ctd is still an issue, we plan to address it though.

So mordor units are the likely cause of your ctd.

We haven't really had any reports of ctds linked to creatures since the patch. The creature ctds were caused by a problem with the name of one of the skeleton bones, they would usually manifest themselves instantly or shortly after starting a battle.

The ctds linked to the mordor units usually happen in the middle or towards the end of battles.
    That fits the conditions of my CTD almost like a glove. You must be right.

BTW, why am I only allowed so few Werewolf units? The way they are used in campaign ATM they are almost useless. They aren't much faster than cavalry, so they cannot chase routing enemies. You are only allowed to have 1 unit, so in any sort of offensive battle their numbers melt almost instantly and cannot be merged or replenished. And their numbers aren't even that high in the first place.

I was excited to use that unit, but now the hype died and was replaced by dissapointment

Patrician

A couple pages back a player expressed that the wolves were too strong and you think they are too weak, so player experience will vary.

Wolf units can kill late game enemy units easily but their availability and replenishment are limited, that's how they've been balanced.

ekusik's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    so player experience will vary.
    I think both experiences are true.
    As enemy units, Wolves and Spiders are too strong for Infantry units. They are even more terrible than mountain trolls.
    But they are also too week against arrows, especially horse archers. (All Hail Horse archers! The True Savior of Middle Earth!)
    As own units, they are powerful but melt instantly with their enemy lives.
    Maybe, these opinions are caused by players experiences.
    Though player struggle with their few elite units and many low tier units, non-player factions seems to recruit good units relatively easier.

By the way, I need an advice.
    How to deal with trolls on the wall? They annihilate my wall defence forces easily and cause nightmare.

Also an opinion:
    I found Zigurun Order's mental is 14, though Zigurun Masters's mental is 13.
    Did Masters lost motivation a bit when they promoted to master rank?
    Last edited by ekusik; November 12, 2020 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekusik View Post
    I think both experiences are true.
    As enemy units, Wolves and Spiders are too strong for Infantry units. They are even more terrible than mountain trolls.
    But they are also too week against arrows, especially horse archers. (All Hail Horse archers! The True Savior of Middle Earth!)
    As own units, they are powerful but melt instantly with their enemy lives.
    Maybe, these opinions are caused by players experiences.
    Though player struggle with their few elite units and many low tier units, non-player factions seems to recruit good units relatively easier.
    Oh, I followed the advice from unit's description to flank with them rather then attack head on. Having tested them in 1on1 custom battles, I must say... The description couldn't be more misleading! They are nigh unbeatable in the frontal attack, their elephant-style area attack stun-locks several soldiers at the same time. Using them to flank only exposes them to attack from archers and cavalry, which are often far behind the battle line by the enemy.

EDIT: Monster units (spiders, wolves) are completely unstoppable with no reliable, hard counter. The guy complaining about them could very well be right. I think at least their attack should be lowered. As it stands, they are invincible from the front. I don't know yet if that's a good thing or can be changed for elephant unit.

EDIT2: Perhaps werewolves could be made (slightly) weaker and to balance things out could be made run amok? No idea. Maybe I'm overthinking it.
    Last edited by intel; November 12, 2020 at 04:57 PM.

I think the werewolves are good as a fluff unit for Mordor with their limited availability, though I feel like I've seen the AI recruit a bunch of them in the past. Right now playing as OotMM, the regular wolves are pretty key units to help you run down elves and skirmishers (with the exception of horse archers, who will annihilate wolves). Spiders are super fast and powerful, but oddly enough I'll lose a unit of spiders more quickly in prolonged combat than a unit of wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by ekusik View Post
    By the way, I need an advice.
    How to deal with trolls on the wall? They annihilate my wall defence forces easily and cause nightmare.
    If trolls are coming at your wall, ditch the wall and have javelins ready to fire up into the trolls when they get on top.

If trolls are on the wall you are attacking....use catapults.

Oh, I followed the advice from unit's description to flank with them rather then attack head on. Having tested them in 1on1 custom battles, I must say... The description couldn't be more misleading! They are nigh unbeatable in the frontal attack, their elephant-style area attack stun-locks several soldiers at the same time. Using them to flank only exposes them to attack from archers and cavalry, which are often far behind the battle line by the enemy.

EDIT: Monster units (spiders, wolves) are completely unstoppable with no reliable, hard counter. The guy complaining about them could very well be right. I think at least their attack should be lowered. As it stands, they are invincible from the front. I don't know yet if that's a good thing or can be changed for elephant unit.

EDIT2: Perhaps werewolves could be made (slightly) weaker and to balance things out could be made run amok? No idea. Maybe I'm overthinking it.
    I think you are. The counters to trolls, wolves, and spiders are javelins, powerful archers, ballistae, and if you've got no cards left: spear swarm with repeated charges by two-handed infantry.

If you want to feel helpless, go fight some ents.

Interesting discussion about the monsters and the frequency.

I can confirm though that at least 1/2 armies of morder has 1 stack of werewolves. These are a pain in the ass. For an example I had 2 full stack armies attacking 1 full stack army of mordor. My armies led by Anarion and Isildur. Here I am controlling the Anarion side, both armies together whooping Mordor's butt. When suddenly Isildur dies because of the werewolves. I don't often savescum for better battle results, but this time I did... And keep in mind that 1 Mordor was losing already when Isildur joined the battle and 2 I already had reduced the werewolves number by shooting them to 20/50. I like them as a unit, but given their strength, I feel like the ai can spam them a bit less.

The trolls aren't too common, and perfectly fine. Spiders I rarely see, but that might be because I retook minas ithal and am constantly sieging cirith ungol so they probably can't recruit them.

Edit: make that 3/4 mordor armies that have 1 or 2 groups of werewolves.
    Last edited by manekemaan; November 13, 2020 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    I think you are. The counters to trolls, wolves, and spiders are javelins, powerful archers, ballistae, and if you've got no cards left: spear swarm with repeated charges by two-handed infantry.
    No javelin or archer unit is powerful enough to cripple werewolves/spiders before melee, and once they enter melee, say goodbye to the unit they engage. Literally, that is not an exaggeration. 10 werewolves can kill 2 full units of militia spearmen with no casualties. I think they can stay as strong as they are, but they should be more of a glass canon.

I can confirm though that at least 1/2 armies of morder has 1 stack of werewolves. These are a pain in the ass. For an example I had 2 full stack armies attacking 1 full stack army of mordor. My armies led by Anarion and Isildur. Here I am controlling the Anarion side, both armies together whooping Mordor's butt. When suddenly Isildur dies because of the werewolves. I don't often savescum for better battle results, but this time I did... And keep in mind that 1 Mordor was losing already when Isildur joined the battle and 2 I already had reduced the werewolves number by shooting them to 20/50. I like them as a unit, but given their strength, I feel like the ai can spam them a bit less.
    Engaging spiders/wolves with any unit that isn't expendable... A hero, even... I can only imagine your pain ;P
    Last edited by intel; November 13, 2020 at 03:56 PM.

No javelin or archer unit is powerful enough to cripple werewolves/spiders before melee, and once they enter melee, say goodbye to the unit they engage. Literally, that is not an exaggeration. 10 werewolves can kill 2 full units of militia spearmen with no casualties. I think they can stay as strong as they are, but they should be more of a glass canon.
    You're talking as if you're pitting a single archer/javelin against them. Just like with trolls, you bog down with an expendable melee unit and fire into the flanks.

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Last episode of my Men of the Mountain Series

First of all, thanks for the great mod! Feels refreshing to play a different age for once! I have a small question: is there a script that spawns AI troops when you're besieging their castle/city? I noticed that the longer i sieged, the more troops the AI got.

Patrician

Yes there is a garrison script for certain settlements (same as TATW)

I finally get to taste this mod... think I'll go with the Men of the Mountains for a first try. Numenorean Kingdoms seem to be an challenge out of reach for now.
    Great job anyway on this long awaited mod !

May you like the game! And thanks for leaving a comment.
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader