Thread: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    I downloaded the sub-mod, but embarrassingly I cannot remember did I patch it, how can I check which ver I am playing
    It's still the same version, the public Beta. But it shouldn't be a problem, there is no harm in patching it, even when you have done it before. The latest patch contains all the patch content we released so far.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Okay.

How do I turn off the annoying "Sail into the West" messages? And the Diplomacy message, they are driving me nuts.

This monster fix patch is a godsend. I didn't have problems with monsters until the first patch for some reason, so I waited before playing as Orcs of the Misty Mountains. I'm only two turns in now but I've had a small skirmish against a Dwarven general and some miners, and it was fantastic! I'm loving Gorlun's bodyguard, they're definitely my favorite evil unit so far! Very few Orcish units that can go toe to toe with heavy Dwarven units. I also appreciate the added challenge of performing feats/missions to unlock more units! Gets me quite right in the mood to roleplay as an Orc warlord!

Is the Balrog requirements the same as Vanilla? Wait until turn 100 or so and then build the mithril mines?

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Okay.

How do I turn off the annoying "Sail into the West" messages? And the Diplomacy message, they are driving me nuts.
    Don't press Shift+W or Shift+D. Or change the shortcuts from the options.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    This monster fix patch is a godsend. I didn't have problems with monsters until the first patch for some reason, so I waited before playing as Orcs of the Misty Mountains. I'm only two turns in now but I've had a small skirmish against a Dwarven general and some miners, and it was fantastic! I'm loving Gorlun's bodyguard, they're definitely my favorite evil unit so far! Very few Orcish units that can go toe to toe with heavy Dwarven units. I also appreciate the added challenge of performing feats/missions to unlock more units! Gets me quite right in the mood to roleplay as an Orc warlord!

Is the Balrog requirements the same as Vanilla? Wait until turn 100 or so and then build the mithril mines?
    Glad you're enjoying them!

If you want to be spoiled what concerns the balrog, you can open the campaign_script.txt and search for the beginning of the balrog script. There's an explanation in the common tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    Glad you're enjoying them!

If you want to be spoiled what concerns the balrog, you can open the campaign_script.txt and search for the beginning of the balrog script. There's an explanation in the common tongue.
    My only concern is that the Troll requirement kinda forces you to rush Khazad-Dum because post barracks event is when you'll need them the most to combat the dwarves and their post barracks event troops. But you guys kept the Snaga Skirmishers as effective fodder, so it makes the early game expansion a doable challenge!

Also, just confirming that the Balrog is in it and has a special script is enough for me, I won't spoil it for myself. Thank you!

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If you accepted the balrog script in the beginning then it's in the game, if not then it's not.

I did accept, but I'm assuming I have to wait for the Barracks Event (or longer) to trigger something.

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

Is normal when I start dci the game takes for ever to load?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyalex View Post
    Is normal when I start dci the game takes for ever to load?
    Hmm, probably not. However, if you could share how long it actually takes for you to load, we would have a better idea if it takes uncommonly long for you for some reason, as 'for ever' is a rather subjective term.

The patch requires a new game?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyres Δt Varanasi View Post
    The patch requires a new game?
    In the first post of this thread in the 'DCI Last Alliance Public Beta installer instructions', it says for the patch that it is not save game compatible.
    And that means it must be true, because I added that tidbit myself.
    Last edited by Veteraan; October 17, 2020 at 01:40 PM.

Why doesn't the mod have a "log" folder? Cause I want to show you those when I have a CTD, right now I had a CTD in the later part of the battle(the worst most infuriating kind), there was no weird units or map or anything I can give you a clue.

However on the rematch the CTD was not there, never the less I wish I could have given you guys more knowledge about it.

Another thing, the "Wolves" unit from the Misty Mountains faction is way too powerful, at first I was maybe wondering maybe there is some huge part of lore I am missing, but upon reading the description it seems they are plain old wolves. I do not care if Melkor himself possess them, they are still wolves and should not be the biggest threat of this faction, and they certainly should not be able to shred my Elven elite units including bodyguards.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; October 17, 2020 at 03:53 PM.

Another thing, the "Wolves" unit from the Misty Mountains faction is way too powerful, at first I was maybe wondering maybe there is some huge part of lore I am missing, but upon reading the description it seems they are plain old wolves. I do not care if Melkor himself possess them, they are still wolves and should not be the biggest threat of this faction, and they certainly should not be able to shred my Elven elite units including bodyguards.
    You leave my puppers alone! Those good bois are the only thing keeping me alive against Lorien in the post Barracks Event game!

They fall pretty easily to ranged attacks in my experience. But I've never seen the AI spam more than two of them in my campaigns, usually they prefer Trolls.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Why doesn't the mod have a "log" folder? Cause I want to show you those when I have a CTD, right now I had a CTD in the later part of the battle(the worst most infuriating kind), there was no weird units or map or anything I can give you a clue.

However on the rematch the CTD was not there, never the less I wish I could have given you guys more knowledge about it.

Your log folder should be inside your medieval II folder. Don't think it will be much help though. The orc units still cause crashes occasionally in battle, it's something we're working on.
    Wolves, spiders and ents are very strong, wolves are the weakest of the 3 though. We might do some rebalancing in the future for them.
    For now hitting them with arrows and surrounding them with spearmen is your best chance of dealing with such units. Other types of units have a debuff against them especially cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    Your log folder should be inside your medieval II folder. Don't think it will be much help though. The orc units still cause crashes occasionally in battle, it's something we're working on.
    Wolves, spiders and ents are very strong, wolves are the weakest of the 3 though. We might do some rebalancing in the future for them.
    For now hitting them with arrows and surrounding them with spearmen is your best chance of dealing with such units. Other types of units have a debuff against them especially cavalry.
    Why not do it? I don't even understand the decision to make them this powerful to begin with, and make Trolls(Trolls are just annoying tanks) and Warg riders so mundane.

Jurand you can use them sure, I had improved them a while after I shared the ones in DCI with Ngugi, but again got sidetracked.. go ahead!

Why not do it? I don't even understand the decision to make them this powerful to begin with, and make Trolls(Trolls are just annoying tanks) and Warg riders so mundane.
    As someone who mains Orc factions, they definitely do not make the Trolls and Warg riders mundane. Trolls have a completely separate role in battle, and I've found the Wargs to hit harder and move across the battlefield much more efficiently due to the organized formation. Wolves can be used for elite killers, but you'll seriously cripple the unit and it doesn't have the same replenish/retrain speeds as your fodder units. Spiders are awesome, but they're a merc unit and pretty rare. Plus they die almost even more quickly against ranged attacks than wolves. The wolves are critical for Orc armies because they can scoop up routing units (less efficiently than Wargs or cavalry in my experience) and provide a counter to the long ranged, fast moving elven archers that can decimate Orc infantry.

The problem you're having is that most the Eastern elven units (I'm assuming you're Lorien/Mirkwood) have low armor, and your bodyguards are two-handed units with a slower attack animation. Try reconsidering your strategies before demanding a unit gets nerfed. If the problem is that your facing armies with huge amounts of wolves/trolls, then that's something the team should look into. MOS (or was it Divide and Conquer?) had a Troll spam problem for a short while before they fixed it, IIRC.

Around 6-7 minutes

@Veteraan

Quote Originally Posted by dannyalex View Post
    Around 6-7 minutes

@Veteraan
    That is indeed quite excessive, unless you play the game on a fifteen year old laptop or something similar.
    I have seen a lot of issues, being responsible for managing the bugs and issues for many years now, but this particular problem is not something I can remember being raised before. Frankly I have no idea what could cause this. Are your turn times also extremely long? I would consider anything beyond three to four minutes as very long, again bar using very old hardware.

nope,plus its a laptop 2 years old,imagine rome 2 runs fine without ssd....plus its the first time i encount something like this from the moment i join twc
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021