Thread: Ruins of glory - WRE tactics problem

Default Ruins of glory - WRE tactics problem

I need advice. I'm playing Western Roman Empire in Ruins of Glory, and it's brutal. I managed to stabilize my income and build some decent armies, my border cities are fortified enough to keep any invading force off - but there's a problem. I'm in a standstill. I am under attack by Ostrogoths, Odoacer and Visigoths.

In Africa, I usually get 1-2 stacks in a row and just enough pause to somewhat regenerate my garrison before the Visigoths attack my westernmost city again. I may be able to recruit good units in one more African city soon, but I don't see how that will make me able to counterattack.

In Gaul, Visigoths are sending me stack after stack. I have a strong, decent army here, but I cannot advance into their territory, because my forces get decimated over time. I captured Narbonensis and even held it for a while, but since I couldn't retrain my army in there and the Gaulish cities were too far away while Visigoths were sending me almost unbroken chain of full stacks onto the city, I soon had to retreat. There may be some hope here, as almost all cities can train legionaries, but it still takes a while to collect the forces because the distances are long.

In Ilyria, I am under attack by Ostrogoths and Odoacer. Odoacer is sending stack after stack, sometimes multiple stacks of armies as powerful as mine at once on Aquae Gradatae. I have thought of advancing to weak-garrisoned Aquilea, which would make my tactical position somewhat better, but I realized my half-stack army couldn't compete with their 3-stack just outside Aquilea on the field, so I pulled back.

I managed to push back the Ostrogoths as their units are awful and capture three of their cities, but only one city can train legionaries and I have to spread the forces very thinly if I want to keep them well defended, which I can't afford at the time, as Odoacer is trying to flank my new Ostrogothic lands. But if I keep my army concentrated and Ostrogoths regenerate the armies, they will overrun my more weakly defended settlements. I off course train legionaries in two or three coastal cities, but no speed seems quick enough.

It seems like I'm playing in circles and I'm this close to starting over/quitting. Any advice?

Default Re: Ruins of glory - WRE tactics problem

Better late than never , although its very late. Sorry for the huge delay. My advice would be to focus in one front and abandon the other (or exchange it with diplomacy for other cities), and focusing in one front you might be able to withstand the enemy. The other possibility is to turn to "piracy", that is, embark an army with onagers, and disembark assaulting coastal cities in the same turn and exterminating the populace with the huge economic benefits that provides this tactic.

NEW VERSION OF RUINS OF GLORY RELEASED!!! CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS