Thread: Formula for figuring out armor values vs projectile damage

Default Formula for figuring out armor values vs projectile damage

I made up a formula for modders to use when figuring out the various projectile_damage things in kv_rules. I'm not mathmatician so I might be totally wrong, but this is based on what I know these values do now thanks to the TWEAK. This Formula is for a very rough estimate. It is also hard to test in game to see if it works properly, so i leave that up to you guys .

Things colored in Red are related to KV_Rules values.

Let AC = Unit Accuracy (Core accuracy) and Let AR = Unit Armor. Let Z = Range and let D = Unit Defense.

( ( {PD_Base Multiplyer} * Projectile Damage ^found in Projectiles DB^ ) + ( AC * [PD Accuracy Multiplayer] ) ) - ( AR / {PD Armour Divisor}) - (Z * [PD Distance Multiplyer]) - (D / [PD Defense Divisor])

So for example. I have a unit with 33 Core Accuracy, with the PD modifier at .35. I set my BASE to 50.
    I have another unit with 5 armor and 10 defense. I set the PD value to 0.2 Let's say the range is about 45 , with a modifier at 0.2

((50 * .8) + (33*0.35)) - (5/0.2) - (10/ 4)-( 45 *0.2)

15.05 kill chance (per arrow I'm assuming) {please note this is assuming the projectile shogun_arrow [or whatever] is using 0.8 instead of the default 0.3. Matchlocks by default have 2.0}

If you want a more rough estimate, simply add up the Base + (AC * Multiplyer) and then substract that figure from (AR / Multiplyer)

Sorry if this had been posted before. I'm lazy and didn't use search. Sue me.

-edit- should also mention I'm not too sure how damage under projectile_tables figures into this. I figure it is multiplied by the base multiplier.

Also distance seems a bit tricky. It says multiplyer, but the default is 2. So a unit 50 feet (or whatever) away, 50 * 2 = 100, so it would subtract 100 from the kill chance, which would result in negative results?
    Last edited by Lokgar; September 27, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Default Re: Formula for figuring out armor values vs projectile damage

anyone been messing around with this any? I've got some pretty promising results, but still not to the level I want. Also hard to test because sometimes the AI doesn't want to let his melee troops get pelted by arrows .

I have. I asked about the relationship between offensive and defensive unit stats in one of the threads around here. This info was pretty useful. I can confirm that armor seems to have a significant effect on arrow survival. I'm not so sure about range, but I think I did see more troops felled during some of my archers' skirmishes. I think there were a couple of projectiles that were labelled ap in the projectile table. Might be interesting to try adding that property to conventional arrows and test it out in a custom battle to see the difference in kill count with it on and off versus something with high armour.

I added AP to flaming arrows, but I haven't had a chance to test it. Currently I have it set in a way that normal arrows won't do much to units with 4-5 armor, but flaming arrows should be able to pierce through that,

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

The guys from the modding summit said that aside from range, height plays an important role for arrow damage and I would guess wind speed.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote from the Summit: "We've seen a lot of formulas on the forums... all of them wrong".
    In fact, they said there's really not a single formula; combat is a very complex series of calculations with a large variety of factors.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Late response so sorry, but yeah I figured this was the case. It seemed to work fine the first few battles, but then crashes happened after unknown variables messed with stuff, so I just ended up reverting to default and instead tweaking the values lower accuracy at a certain range. Seems to be much more stable.

Although, this was made AFTER the summit, and TWEAK does actually say (sort of) how these variables interact with each other, so I just filled in the blanks. There's a few blanks missing though, and I doubt I'll find em.