Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How to use the Official Modding Tools

Default Re: How to use the Official Modding Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Useless View Post
    Total War: Shogun 2 - Assembly Kit where the hell is it stored? just got the auto download the other day? am using win 7

thanks
    Did you read the "Installation" section of the OP?
    It gets downloaded to <Shogun installation>/modding. If you select "Play Game" on the Tools in Steam, it will open that folder in Windows Explorer so you can unzip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Radious View Post
    Looked at that aswell, but there is no way to add preview picture. Picture for Colection and mods inside yes, preview i cant find.

Second thing - steam should allow for Shogun 2 mods larger then 100mb, not many overhauls, graphical mods, music mods etc will be able to fit in there. I had to cut few loading screens pictures and some additional cards to be able get bellow 100mb.
    It may turn out the 100MB is a hard limit set by the Workshop (it's the same for Skyrim IIUC), we'll have to work around this - probably by splitting mods into several Workshop items that won't work individually. Or split them up in a way that they will and be extensions of each other.

I'm sure I can get a "Split Mod Pack" feature going to do this automatically.
    Or modders need to split up their mod on their own, into individual parts by function: 1. split up additional units into different packs 2. another one containing GUI stuff (like buttons, loading screens, etc) 3. Localization packages (I haven't created large enough mods to be able to tell if that can be done at all, and if so how). That's obviously a lot of work, but again I'm sure I can provide tool support if people tell me what's needed.
    Last edited by daniu; September 29, 2012 at 04:57 AM.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Radious's Avatar I came, I saw, I modded

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    Did you read the "Installation" section of the OP?
    It gets downloaded to <Shogun installation>/modding. If you select "Play Game" on the Tools in Steam, it will open that folder in Windows Explorer so you can unzip it.

It may turn out the 100MB is a hard limit set by the Workshop (it's the same for Skyrim IIUC), we'll have to work around this - probably by splitting mods into several Workshop items that won't work individually. Or split them up in a way that they will and be extensions of each other.

I'm sure I can get a "Split Mod Pack" feature going to do this automatically.
    Or modders need to split up their mod on their own, into individual parts by function: 1. split up additional units into different packs 2. another one containing GUI stuff (like buttons, loading screens, etc) 3. Localization packages (I haven't created large enough mods to be able to tell if that can be done at all, and if so how). That's obviously a lot of work, but again I'm sure I can provide tool support if people tell me what's needed.
    Yes and i heard with Skyrim its a big issue and there are many complains about this. It may change in the future (hopefully). Splitting is possible but i was working on some graphical parts of the game and result was about 900mb mod (that would require 9 parts) and it must be together to work properly, same for any artistic things like unit cards, pictures, loading screens, character pics etc takes many many space. I guess in this case is much easier to download thing like this on TWC or some upload site rather then getting 10+ parts of single mod and then all activating them in mod manager.

If the capacity would be 1gb or atlest 500mb it would be way better. But i think thats on steam and not CA.

Winner of the 2011, 2012. 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Modding Awards in Total War Shogun 2, Rome 2, Attila, Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2.
    Follow us here - Team Radious

Quote Originally Posted by rainkloud View Post
    Make sure you did this part exactly how Daniu tells you how to do it:

I was having a similar if not the same problem as you and it turns out that was the problem. I had both spaces in the name and it was likely too long. Hope that helps!
    thanks man,now everything work fine!
    +rep

If you are depressed, just stop being depressed.
    - Ace Rimmer | March 18th ,2014

Hey guys,

I'll update the official wiki info on where to extract to on Monday.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Something you might want to add around, although is the most obvious thing, but in some OS you must ran the .exe's with admin rights. That would help you to guide the most newbies in modding that are not pc savvy.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanescent View Post
    A slight issue.
    Every time I try to start any of the tools, I get an error message telling me:

The application was unable to start correctly (0x0150002). Click OK to close the application.

The installation path in game_path.txt does point to the folder where S2 is installed, and there isn't really all that much else to try. What might be the issue, if anybody has a guess?
    Followed the instructions to the letter and gets the same error: The application was unable to start correctly (0x0150002). Click OK to close the application.

Libertus

Glad I'm not the only one encountering this mysterious issue... I was starting to think that the tool just hated me.

Since my last post I've removed all files then downloaded it again, following daniu's instructions to the letter. I still get the same error message telling me the exact same thing. I have absolutely no clue what might be causing this to happen... I've come to the conclusion that the game's angry at me for not owning Rise.

I'm wondering if it is possible to change the Connection DB path. Yesterday I edited my mod.pack with the PFM,but since the Assembly kit uses an external raw data,I'm afraid that my modifications were useless.
    Do you guys know how to do that?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer Tex View Post
    I'm wondering if it is possible to change the Connection DB path. Yesterday I edited my mod.pack with the PFM,but since the Assembly kit uses an external raw data,I'm afraid that my modifications were useless.
    Do you guys know how to do that?
    No, it's not possible to change the Connection DB path. Why would you?
    It wouldn't fix the problem you describe anyway; the Assembly Kit can only work on the xml files, not on the pack you edited afterwards.
    Simple solution: if you want edit the files, use either Assembly Kit or PFM.
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by leviath View Post
    Did it 5 times, no luck so far.
    I took a picture, I saved it as "steam_workshop" with JPG format then pasted it into my map folder. Then I launched TEd, loaded the map and updated the battlefield. The thumbnail doesn't show up.
    Do you have the correct size ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

When I use the Form Launcher the Tweak App crashes. Table and Query work fine.

No, it's not possible to change the Connection DB path. Why would you?
    It wouldn't fix the problem you describe anyway; the Assembly Kit can only work on the xml files, not on the pack you edited afterwards.
    Simple solution: if you want edit the files, use either Assembly Kit or PFM.
    So there is no way to make them working together? I need to work on some tables that cannot be edited or saved by the Assembly Kit, such as the animations. But I'll prefer this one for editing the others tables.

So there is no way to make them working together? I need to work on some tables that cannot be edited or saved by the Assembly Kit, such as the animations.
    Did you try copying those into the right subdirectory of the working_data path? Even if they can't be edited, it should be possible to include them in the pack using BOB.
    I'm working on better integration between Assembly Kit and PFM, but it takes some time.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

I need a step-by-step guide to change game turns per year using the official tools.

Hi guys,

Just to let you know we've found the cause of the crash in the Unit Editor and are working on an update with a few other changes as well.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Great.

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Anyone else done some startpos reprocessing yet?

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

I just tried to upload my mod which is about 500mb in size. Is 100 mb the upload limit to the steam workshop?

I made a mod that changes unit upkeep and costs as well as unit stats- all for the Shogun 2 campaign. My mod is in the early stages but i'm pleased with the results so far. I noticed that the AI is behaving very agressively and expansively compared to vanilla shogun 2.

Can I get free mod hosting elsewhere if my file is too large?

Did you try copying those into the right subdirectory of the working_data path? Even if they can't be edited, it should be possible to include them in the pack using BOB.
    I'm working on better integration between Assembly Kit and PFM, but it takes some time.
    Sorry for the extreme delay.

No,it didn't work. I did many attempts,following the documentation and going on my own,but it didn't work. I guess I should finish my mod with the Pack File Manager using some expedients.
    If you succeed in including pack with BOB,please let me know how to do that.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Freelancer Tex; October 07, 2012 at 12:00 PM.

No,it didn't work. I did many attempts,following the documentation and going on my own,but it didn't work. I guess I should finish my mod with the Pack File Manager using some expedients.
    If you succeed in including pack with BOB,please let me know how to do that.
    That's a really long way down the road... database works, but everything else is very complicated and might never work.
    You should check Jinarik's rules.bob file tutorial, sounds like that could help you get those files into the pack.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum