Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CA Modding Summit - Mitch's Perspective

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Modding Summit - Mitch's Perspective

You can for your own use but can't legally upload it as a mod.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    The mesh format did change between Napoleon and Shogun 2.
    By they way, the format was also changed between ETW and NTW I think. However, it was still possible to use the old ETW format in NTW.
    In S2, is it still possible to use the NTW format (without some of the new benefits of S2 of course), or was support discontinued?

For NTW a new way of putting units together (the variant system) was introduced, but support for the old stype of whole unit models was maintained as it was used on the campaign map. For Shogun 2 the variant system was expanded to the campaign map so the old code was removed. We also did some changes to the file format used in the variant system to change what was stored. The NTW models will not work in S2.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

What are the main differences between NTW variant_part_mesh and S2TW models ?
    I know that S2TW models use more joints than NTW.
    Is it the only difference between raw models ?

For instance, I've created models for ETW, this means I have the raw model, not only the variant_weighted_mesh.
    If I want to use it in NTW as variant_part_mesh, i have to "split' my models into vertex groups such as "body", "legs", etc. but they use the same "skeleton".
    If I want to use it in S2TW, I will have to split it as well but I will also have to rework vertex weights due to extra joints. But will I have to modify other model's characteristics ?
    Last edited by wangrin; September 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Great write up, Mitch.

Congrats to everyone who went, and a big thumps up to CA for hosting such an event

What are the main differences between NTW variant_part_mesh and S2TW models ?
    I know that S2TW models use more joints than NTW.
    Is it the only difference between raw models ?
    I'd have to ask the artists about that, I do know there some some changes to the processed model format.

For instance, I've created models for ETW, this means I have the raw model, not only the variant_weighted_mesh.
    If I want to use it in NTW as variant_part_mesh, i have to "split' my models into vertex groups such as "body", "legs", etc. but they use the same "skeleton".
    If I want to use it in S2TW, I will have to split it as well but I will also have to rework vertex weights due to extra joints. But will I have to modify other model's characteristics ?
    As long as you have the raw models you should be able to convert them to Shogun 2 with some work, we included our max export scripts in the Assembly Kit.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Im kind of skeptic about this. Porting a mod will only mean new hardcoded limits. Not to mention the huge amount of work. By the time a full port is underway there will be big chances a NTW2 will be released. Will other aspects of the game like environment, weather, battle map settlements be moddable via the tools? It wont make sense to move to face different obstacles which would still halt development of mods. Why not just release new tools for Empire and Napoleon, pls?

Patrician Artifex

I suppose it's because the tools were not meant to go public and are not stable/robust, while the new tools may be "cleaner".

However, I agree that if they release a not stable tool for ETW/NTW, cumbersone, not robust, ugly or whatever, I'd tak it.

Sounds like you had fun.
    Can it be that CA finally wised up? Can it be that this game will actually be at least as good and moddable as RTW and M2TWK?
    I surely hope so! but I don't have high expectations. This is from someone who still plays Rome and Medieval 2, and not because of system reqs problems.

Sorry for the double post, but can't edit stuff.

So, after reading through all of this thread I didn't find any info about one of the most important things in the game. The diplomatic AI. CA surely knows(?) that the AI is a mess... What will change in Rome 2?
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; September 29, 2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: d-post

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    Hmm, good question. Let me check for you.

Edit: Where did you read this re:Skyrim? We've been looking through the Steam Workshop documentation and can't find any reference to a filesize limit.
    I have said it befoure , and it was stated on the steam forums by an Valve developer to the reason why some mods failed to be uploaded ( mine included ) because exceeded the file size limit of 100 mb ... my mod was btw 1.5 gb compressed ... so the big mods for skyrim on steamworkshop are still no go ... so most of modders still do rely only on the nexus for downloading mods as it allows not only unlimited file size , but even multiple files , optional files , different versions , comments , and a lot of other things that steam workshop doesn't and makes it pretty limited atm ...

Quote Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
    there are 2.... the blue&grey and north&south

but yes, I'm going to experimient with the game too see if it makes sense to switch...
    Well u have gatling now , trains , ironclads ...
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; September 29, 2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: d-post

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

I'd have to ask the artists about that, I do know there some some changes to the processed model format.

As long as you have the raw models you should be able to convert them to Shogun 2 with some work, we included our max export scripts in the Assembly Kit.
    Thanks

It was possible to open variant_part_mesh from S2TW/FotS with Ultimate Unwrap 3D + ETW plugin.
    The first thing I've saw was some extra joints :
    • armor_front
    • sashimono
    • right / left_mouth
    • right / left_brown

All other seems to be the same.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    Thanks
    All other seems to be the same.
    The organisation of the textures also seems to be different, with apparently one atlas with "variation" for each unit, instead of a big atlas.
    Meaning that a hat for instance is not really shared between units, but have to be copied in each one.
    Also, since there seems to be more part (arms independant from torso), it means a port of uniforms from NTW to STW requires a lot of rework of the texture files.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

We have given no info on future titles past Rome II.
    I have looked at all the evidence. The next will be Total War: World War I
    Plan accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    I have looked at all the evidence. The next will be Total War: World War I
    Plan accordingly.
    If it confirm to be WW1 then I will announce my resignation of a Total War gamer. I will still play all previous games until Rome II until I die though.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    If it confirm to be WW1 then I will announce my resignation of a Total War gamer. I will still play all previous games until Rome II until I die though.

I will resign from playing games if COD ever becomes different.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    The organisation of the textures also seems to be different, with apparently one atlas with "variation" for each unit, instead of a big atlas.
    Meaning that a hat for instance is not really shared between units, but have to be copied in each one.
    Also, since there seems to be more part (arms independant from torso), it means a port of uniforms from NTW to STW requires a lot of rework of the texture files.
    Perhaps you will find a way to rework the NTW campaign map with the new mod tools and that will work out best for you!
    Support Totalwar Youtubers:
    Jackiefish commentary my Quarter final match tosa cup*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcr52zUAoTo
    Showing Pointman a 2v3 Tactic: He does well and carries it out to perfection first time*..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrfDUr8f6M&feature=plcp
    Aggony Clan 1v1 Tournament match: Multiple casters check description for their youtube channels*:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHoz8nS7ulY

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post

What's that about -- a philosophical viewpoint on what total war games should be all about? Or some other reason (I don't know)?

It can't be because there are so many WWI wargames out there!

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

World War I is best war.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    What's that about -- a philosophical viewpoint on what total war games should be all about? Or some other reason (I don't know)?

It can't be because there are so many WWI wargames out there!
    Just a statement of intent.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Thanks for all of the replies guys!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast