Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CA Modding Summit - Mitch's Perspective

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Default Re: Modding Summit - Mitch's Perspective

It doesn't seem to be deleted. I'll direct someone to it in the Q&S forum.

One thing I am interested in is the Steam Workshop's file size limits. Skyrim has it locked off at 100mb which has seriously knocked out the Workshop's ability to host bigger projects. Is the same limit at play here?

For example, I'd be happy to show my support by throwing up The Sekigahara Campaign, but it is well over 100mb when uncompressed.

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    Will is one of the guys in the Rally Point videos and whatnot isn't he?

And it's good to here i'm not the only one who can't see the opening post anymore since i thought i'd pressed something to make it disappear .
    THAT'S RIGHT!

He's the cute one with the long hair, right?

Haha, Im so glad he's not a ghost.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    Sure, it's not officially live yet, but you can get to it at wiki.totalwar.com - this has been something we've been planning for about two years to help with collaboration and documentation... so relieved it's finally going live (even if typing so much into it is making my fingers hurt!)
    Thanks you !!!!!!!!! Now I know I'm not dreaming. My boss walks behind me earlier and I have to close the web without bookmarking it first..

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

magpie's Avatar Artifex

My thanks to both the CA Team and their modding guests from the TWC for this harmonious and excellent meeting of dare I say like minded people.
    The TW series will be given a great boost by this co operative attitude.

Regards to all.

mags.

sponsered by the noble Prisca

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Akaie View Post
    It doesn't seem to be deleted. I'll direct someone to it in the Q&S forum.

One thing I am interested in is the Steam Workshop's file size limits. Skyrim has it locked off at 100mb which has seriously knocked out the Workshop's ability to host bigger projects. Is the same limit at play here?

For example, I'd be happy to show my support by throwing up The Sekigahara Campaign, but it is well over 100mb when uncompressed.
    Hmm, good question. Let me check for you.

Edit: Where did you read this re:Skyrim? We've been looking through the Steam Workshop documentation and can't find any reference to a filesize limit.
    Last edited by CraigTW; September 27, 2012 at 05:17 AM.

Hmm, good question. Let me check for you.
    Arigatou, Craig-sensei.

Patron of Erwin Rommel

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I really must say, though, in all seriousness... This is probably the best day I've had all week.

This is what I've been hoping for since I came back to TWC almost a year ago. I saw how much everyone was fighting, and hating on CA, and I just hoped that would change.

This is the day that it will change. Mark my words! CA will recieve much less hate now.

This is a truly auspicious day.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

@Craig: just for the sake of discussion.

Suppose your tools are good enough to allow importing ships/guns/uniforms from NTW (may be it's already possible, I don't now), and we can effectively create a complete new map of Europe.
    These are the two main limitations to port a NTW mod to S2 I think.
    The third is to know how some things are hardcoded (battle AI, squares, etc) that could make it difficult.

Doing it would take a lot of time. And so it would be finished probably after Rome 2 is released.

So three questions:
    1) Will Rome 2 engine change a lot, to the point where a mod cannot be easily ported, but need to be completlty redone?
    2) Will Rome 2 engine be able to support musket warfare mod, if we can import animation and models?
    3) Will CA consider working with modders to give them some info so they could prepare their mod for a port to the new engine, without the need to wait for final release?

To sum up, I don't know if it's better to stick to NTW (less work, but no evolution to expect from you I suppose?), to move to S2 engine, or to wait for Rome2. Or even NTW2 in, in 4 yours you said (didn't you?) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    1) Will Rome 2 engine change a lot, to the point where a mod cannot be easily ported, but need to be completlty redone?
    Yes we are changing a lot in the database, tools are changing a lot along with our file formats.

2) Will Rome 2 engine be able to support musket warfare mod, if we can import animation and models?
    Potentially yes, just like RTW with the Napoleonic mod.

3) Will CA consider working with modders to give them some info so they could prepare their mod for a port to the new engine, without the need to wait for final release?
    Porting mods is going to be difficult due to changes from Shogun 2 to Rome II, we need to evolve the engine to achieve what we wants and that means things will change.

To sum up, I don't know if it's better to stick to NTW (less work, but no evolution to expect from you I suppose?), to move to S2 engine, or to wait for Rome2. Or even NTW2 in, in 4 yours you said (didn't you?) ?
    We have given no info on future titles past Rome II. what game is the best platform for you is a decision you will have to make.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

steph, I would suggest to wait till the tools are released and then we'll see how downwards compatible they are.

no sense in complaining at this early stage

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Glorious write up! It must have been a fantastic event to be at

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Are you suggesting that I could do a new Napoleonic wars complete mod with that based on Shogun engine ? Including European maps, new models, etc?

I'm afraid this TOTAL modification will not be reallistic (probably not enough time). This means redo the campaign maps, the battle maps, the ships models, all the units (can they be imported from NTW?), the factions, etc. Beside I'm afraid Ironclads and Gatling guns are not exactly needed for a Napoleonic wars mod.

I'm afraid I'll stick to NTW for the time being. I hope CA will answer some questions in the wiki to help us poor abandonned ETW/NW modders (may I start to cry so you have pity on us and expand your tools to NTW? )

Beside, I don't own S2. I don't know for instance if all the work we did on the uniforms could be compatible. I don't really want to throw months of hard work out of the Window.
    I'm not ready to buy S2, which I don't play, just to check if I could make my NTW mod with it.

Now, if CA wants to donate a version so I can check that, may be I could consider it
    Do you know the concept of a total conversion ? Have you seen all the mods here at TWC that bring M2TW or RTW to an era that was not really medieval or ancien ? This is exactly that. Moreover, we still don't have the tools and maybe with some retroengineering work that will also be able to deal with ETW/NTW files, just wait some time. Jack Lusted also said that models in S2TW can be imported with their new tools (correct me if I'm wrong).

ETW/NTW are old games now, CA did not continue to help modders with RTW and M2TW when ETW was released (although I prefer not remembering those days...)

Well, since ETW i have been really disapointed by CA games, but since yesterday I can say I have "A new hope". I think you're doing a bad intention process to CA, and this is said from someone who used to be really rude with them last years.

Edit : Thank you Mitch, and all the guys who were here at the summit, for your report and CA for your tools ! This is really cool
    Last edited by sinople; September 27, 2012 at 05:48 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    We have given no info on future titles past Rome II. what game is the best platform for you is a decision you will have to make.
    The NTW 2 reference was a joke. But in your opinion (personnal one, not CA), what would be the best to make a total Napoleon mod, S2 or R2?
    S2 would have some support for muskets.
    R2 would already have a map in the correc settings.

About compatibility, I'm not really speaking about the db, this could be redone "quickly" especially of the tools support some kind of TSV import/export. I'm more concern about the format of the models and texture. That's I think a much harder and time consuming part to port, if models and animation can't be imported easily.

Do you think you could (perhaps in the wiki), give information to modders about foreseen compatibility?
    For instance, you could say in Rome2
    - Map will be done differently
    - Unit models from S2 should be compatible
    - Building models is different

etc.
    Last edited by Steph; September 27, 2012 at 05:56 AM.

Domesticus
    Artifex

A most enjoyable read, definitely - thanks a lot Mitch!

(A cookie goes without saying.)
    Last edited by Goofy; September 27, 2012 at 05:54 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by sinople View Post
    Do you know the concept of a total conversion ?
    I know what is it and the amount of work required... Hence my concern.

This is exactly that. Moreover, we still don't have the tools and maybe with some retroengineering work that will also be able to deal with ETW/NTW files, just wait some time. Jack Lusted also said that models in S2TW can be imported with their new tools (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Let's hope

ETW/NTW are old games now, CA did not continue to help modders with RTW and M2TW when ETW was released (although I prefer not remembering those days...)
    Yes, but I think ETW was based on a very different model from RTW and M2TW, while S2 is still using warscape, so we can hope to get some retro compatibility.

Well, since ETW i have been really disapointed by CA games, but since yesterday I can say I have "A new hope". I think you're doing a bad intention process to CA, and this is said from someone who used to be really rude with them last years.
    Bad intention? Where? I'm trying to see how to best handle the future of my mod. Possibilities are opened, including port to S2 engine or R2 engine now that we could have a European map (I couldn't make a Napoleon mod in Japan, could I?)

So I'm trying to get information to better understand how feasible it would be.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

The problem to move from NTW to S2TW is more time than tools.
    ETW/NTW modders will have to handle tools and how the game work (db, esf, etc.)
    Moreover if models had been changed (S2TW models have more joints, so it means to rework vertex weights), it can take a lot of time to rework models create for NTW to post them to S2TW.
    etc.

It's all a mater of time need.
    And when you had spend a lot of time on a NTW mode and you have to start again, it's a bit hard...

I have the same questioning about moving to S2TW than Steph.
    And personally, if it take too much time to port my work to S2TW and to create a new campaign map, I will not move to it even if we have better possibilities.
    Last edited by wangrin; September 27, 2012 at 06:00 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Patrician Artifex

Is there a list somewhere explaining the difference between STW2 and NTW from a modder point of view? What can be reused? What needs to be redone?
    What options was removed from the game?
    What options was added?

For instance in ETW there was a "plug bayonet" concept. It has been removed from NTW. And I'm afraid there's no bayonet in Shogun. Can you imagine a Napoleonic mod without bayonet? So if we can't import NTW animation, it's a "mod breaker"
    The unit model is also different.
    Last edited by Steph; September 27, 2012 at 06:10 AM.

Edit: Where did you read this re:Skyrim? We've been looking through the Steam Workshop documentation and can't find any reference to a filesize limit.
    It seems to be a frequent point of discussion. Searching something to the effect of "steam workshop skyrim 100mb" will highlight it. Here is one of them.

Patron of Erwin Rommel

This just amazing news! You just extended shogun 2 play time for everyone by 10 fold!

Now, the first thing I would like to do is add Korea to the map. Then a world map for a victoria mod. That'll be sweet.

Icon3 Re: Modding Summit - Mitch's Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Akaie View Post

I found that about Steam Workshop!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

EDIT: Found that here http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/L...Steam_Workshop
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; September 29, 2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Spoiler added

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast