Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CA Modding Summit - daniu's Blog

Default Re: Blog from the Modding Summit

Ice cream time!
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Awww the trailer is over??? Well, go and eat your ice cream in peace so you don't get the tablet all dirty with your sticky fingers

We'll be waiting on you! What can you tell us about the siege of Carthage? What new features you saw? There where fire arrows? Did you get to see the battle UI?
    Last edited by Lord Baal; September 26, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

No battle UI; like I said, AI controlled both sides. Also wasn't the full battle, was cut off. Map is huge and it would have taken really long.
    There isn't a single capture point anymore, but several across the city, attacker has to have the majority.

No civilians, calculation complexity would explode, and I believe it. The map is massive!
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

So how about adding new map preset sets? The way of Replacing Vanilla map presets with TEd made one were already known!

Off to see the mocap studio now... End of transmissionfor me.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

May the force be with you!
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

klesh's Avatar Senator

How was the ice cream?

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    Daniu thanks for all

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    Oh and the campaign map editing taking a 1000 man hours sounds very painful and rather impossible for modders to repeat. Use to take us a couple days to produce a map for Med2.
    IIRC CA reps said in an interview they deliberately chose Shogun II as a scenario with limited geographic scope, to develop new elements for the campaign game. They must be confident they can streamline the process for Rome II.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

A great thank you to CA and You! ! !

Personally, I'm happy about the CA's involvement to campaign tools even if it is minor thing for S2TW campaigns and also for the "capture points" of R2TW maps.

Quote Originally Posted by taw View Post
    Anybody tried to do this with ridiculously complicated campaign script? We can create buildings and trigger on buildings so it should be possible, just painful as hell...
    I did and it wasn't worth the effort. Not to mention that M2TW is "balanced" for 1 building being built at the time, so it's not a big deal.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

For that AI demo, you didn't happen to see more then 20 units for an AI player did you? Not including reinforcements if there were any.

I think he wouldn't know, since he never got to see the UI

Two more things that were addressed I just remember.

I did mention the LUAC files and whether it would be possible to release the non-precompiled versions; they said generally yes, they'd have to check if it would be okay IP-wise. Don't know if it's still on their list.

We were also talking about other documentation for the LUA stuff, at least a list of functions, their general functionality and how they're interconnected. They said it would be both mostly unfeasable and also kind of pointless. The quote was "we're not Microsoft" What they meant by that was not that they weren't one of the biggest coorporations in the world, but that they are a game company, not a software company (i.e., develop more goal-oriented, and not to provide well-documented, reusable software components to others). This results in their code also ends up working, but in a way that functions make assumptions about others' behavior which are "embedded" knowledge (i.e. in their heads) and not written down anywhere (probably too complicated to anyway). If you're a developer, you'll know both the situation and the implications.
    One of the points they made was that they intentionally cut down on information they provide because giving too much would be counterproductive in many areas; it would lead to modders following "rabbit holes that never end" and spending more time analysing stuff that won't pay off rather than getting actual work done.

The second point is somewhat related: "We have seen the community come up with many formulas describing how the combat system works - all of them incorrect".
    Again, this is a matter of complexity. TW combat is a system of a lot of interconnected functions, depending on a lot of factors; not even themselves will be able to tell how a unit vs unit fight will end up exactly because there are so many aspects involved, including of course some randomness.
    As an example, they mentioned arrow interchange; it was a side aspect, but they did mention "a lot of factors go into that calculation, like even height difference". Again, it wasn't the main point so we didn't follow it up, but regarding the "range advantage for elevated positions": there may not be that, but it is taken into account.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Thanks daniu, taw also ofc - thanks to everyone of you, a very great thanks to CA especially ofc

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Thanks for the commentary Daniu, it was nice to hear about the happenings at this long awaited event
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

I have a request: can someone who has the tools installed zip up the db xml files (in raw_data/db/; don't need the TW* and .xsd ones) and post them here for me?
    I have some time to work on them but I don't have access to my Steam account.

Thanks
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

I have a request: can someone who has the tools installed zip up the db xml files (in raw_data/db/; don't need the TW* and .xsd ones) and post them here for me?
    I have some time to work on them but I don't have access to my Steam account.

Thanks

Uploaded

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

As for the damage and effectiveness, can they give us the most important factors?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123