Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Pike and Musket TW for MTW VI

cegorach's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Pike and Musket TW for MTW VI

With the release of the coming PMTW 2.0 you will see a new campaign on the British Isles - English Civil Wars.

Beginning

After the battle at Marston Moor and the start of Montrose's revolt in Scotland.

* Isle of Man will be given to the Cavaliers - the rest will stay this way.

Factions

Cavaliers

Beaten at Marston Moor, but not yet broken. Montrose will distract the Scots and after the army recovers from the last defeat the roundheads will feel the full power of the Cavalier horsemen !

Roundheads

The north is cleared from the enemy, but he is still dangerous. Defeat him and watch out for the Scots and the Irish.

Covenant Scots

You have to beat the rebels and later use the fact the English are fighting each other.

Irish Confederates

Clear Ulster and get rid off the English invaders. Can you dare for more ?

Ulster
    - unplayable

Will act as a notable distraction for the Irish

FEATURES

Minimalised techtree.

Recruitment tags - you have a limited number of structures to rise troops - some of those special.
    Easy and cheap to build or re-build allow rising soldiers for your cause.

Differences in importance of a province, its wealth, support of the population to your cause and finally the factor who actually rises them - all affect the speed of recruitment and the size of the units you can get.
    This means that London acts as a real powerbase for the Roundheads where they can rise large units of infantry much quicker than Cavaliers if they ever grasp the capital.
    This means that even if the Cavaliers manage to push them to the south-east corner of England they will still have the ability to recruit large armies.

Recruitment tags are limited to:

- 3 for the Irish (one special),
    - 4 for the Scottish (one-two special),
    - 7 for the Cavaliers (5 special),
    - 9 for the Roundheads (2 special),

see some of them if you like here:

Irish

Scottish

Cavaliers

Roundheads

The system of recruitment points such as those will be used in the main europen campaign for the PMTW 2.0 - to represent nomadic nations.

I will show some screenshots from the ECW campaign later.
    Enemy of 'illiberal democracies', member of the B.A.L.T.S.
    VISIT Pike and Musket forums VISIT the amazing site about PLC
    under the patronage of the mighty ASTERIX

This looks great

Finally something interesting to show.

Mounted Pikemen

When marching, fighting or standing still they do not use their steeds.

But when they need to move quickly they mount the steeds and re-deploy quickly.

Present in the new campaign Lion of the North and available to all German factions ( Hapsburgs, Bavaria, Brandenburg, Saxony, Palatinate, Munster, Hessen, Pommern, Courland) + for Bohemia and by the German Petty State for those factions which can create one (e.g. Poland or Spain).

The unit will be excellent for those who like cavalry armies - together with musket armed dragoons these dragoon pikemen will be able to create a defensive line wherever necessary.

Their main flaws however will be small numbers (50 men), slightly weaker stats and the inability to fight well in forested areas (have horses which cause such problem).

I am quite proud of this unit - it required some cunning approach to create this hybrid.

More later.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Very interesting!
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Sosobra's Avatar Domesticus

very good stuff
    I find most people irritating
    SteamID:Sosobra

The idea is useful for mods using areas of recruitment or homelands so its use might be limited.

Basically I tried to represent the horde from RTW in the older MTW VI engine.

So we have those zones of recruitment limiting the number of provinces which can rise soldiers, but for mobile societies of nomadic nations it seems somehow unfair.

I decided to replace the zones by more sophisticated design - a certain ( e.g. 5) number of UNIQUE (so only one each) buildings.
    Each building can rise soldiers, but the number will still be small enough - because there are only 5 such buildings only 5 provinces can rise units of fleet-hoved nomadic cavalry.
    Because there are only 5 such places we can ABANDON the restriction of the areas of recruitment and allow recruitment everywhere !

Now there is another thing to remember - the structures should be cheap and easy to build (for example 250 florines and one turn to erect one) so creating one will never be a problem.

So we have a situation when we have 5 provinces, each with one camp , but later our empire conquers more. New provinces in new areas which in would be away from our area of recruitmen, but now it is no problem - simply destroy whatever camp/-s you need and buid it anywhere you like.

This way your recruitment centers follow your army - exactly as a nomadic nation would do. Because you have a limited number of those you will never create oversized army larger than it would be in reality, but also you would have the soldiers where they are necessary.

There are numerous possibilities to explore:
    - 2 level camps with the second level as more permanent settlement which would allow recruiting more advanced soldiers,
    - mixed recruitment - some units from the camp, some from the original homeland,
    - camps can be limited by a certain resource e.g. called grassland so will be possible to create only in certain provinces where the grasslands were more suitable to the nomadic horde's needs,
    and many, many more.

So in general the idea has its obvious advantages:
    - allows to create mobile empires, nations on move which will never be too large,
    - improves looting income because the omads will not need too many buildings on their own and can burn and destroy everything else (if allowed),
    - nomadic faction will be harder to eliminate, because it can always re-build its camps somewhere else, it has no real homeland and doesn't need too much to create an army after all,

Of course nothing is without certain flaws:
    - the AI never destroyes what it built so they will not benefit from the idea too much,
    - the AI might decide to build ALL camps in one place too... Fortunatelly the risk can be lowered by giving CATHEDRAL_INCOME to every single one and the AI has a hardcoded limit of such buildings possible to rise in one province - this way it will never construct too many in one place.
    - the camp still needs a sort of a castle in the same province, but one level fort is enough. I suggest to allow building such structures in one turn's time.
    - finally it might be a good idea to rise the number of soldiers in nomadic units because the army might be seen as too small by the human player (when he fights against it) - from my experience I can propose 100 men for each unit of cavalry and no changes for infantry (cavalry should be the main power of the army anyway.

Still I assume some of you can find the idea very interesting and useful.

Here are the screenshots of such sructure from the incoming last release of PMTW mod.

Regards Cegorach

Some dragoon units in the Lion of the North campaign will use the same steed as the Mounted Pikemen i.e. vanishing when not necessary see some results here

and most bizzare one

those guys were late so took their horses with them.

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Very good mod, are you going to port it on medieval II?
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

nice pics! whens lion of the north coming out ive always wanted to play a gustavus adolphus campaign! also will there be any changes to the existing campaign?

also this mod is amazing but i have one complaint! even when i play really badly theres never a civil war. i had one civil war in 4 months! this makes things too easy! maybe its hardcoded?

Looks great, but before I blow the dust off my medtw 1 cd a few niggling questions:

1) With NPTW, I had this horrible issue/bug where dead bodies would dissappear, or revert to vanila bodies - is this common and does it happen with PMTW?

2) In those impressive screenshots, I have yet to see any smoke effects from musket discharge, how are they or could you post some?

3) Any plans to take this mod to the mid 1700's, so we can see Jacobite uprisings in Scotland and experience the Young Pretender's comeback?

Thanks in advance.
    "The way to a man's heart is through his ribs."

Quote Originally Posted by arfrisco View Post
    nice pics! whens lion of the north coming out ive always wanted to play a gustavus adolphus campaign! also will there be any changes to the existing campaign?

also this mod is amazing but i have one complaint! even when i play really badly theres never a civil war. i had one civil war in 4 months! this makes things too easy! maybe its hardcoded?
    Yes there will be some changes in existing campaigns, but rather minor ones.
    The Lion of the North will be released together with ECW in PMTW 2.0 when it is ready.

About civil wars - there are no changes so these might happen as usual, but because the conquest is generally more difficult and slower the likelihood of a civil war is smaller.

If you like a challenge try some of the smallest factions - especially in Italy or Germany - that is some challenge, especially facing the Swiss in the earliest campaign.

@maxiumus_pooh

Looks great, but before I blow the dust off my medtw 1 cd a few niggling questions:

1) With NPTW, I had this horrible issue/bug where dead bodies would dissappear, or revert to vanila bodies - is this common and does it happen with PMTW?
    PMTW is 4-5 times larger (over 700 units, 60 factions) than NTW so it is even more difficult to add deadbodies in the mod. Ultimatelly it will happen as far as the engine allows ( I have heard it is difficult when you exceed the 256 unit limit - and this happened).

2) In those impressive screenshots, I have yet to see any smoke effects from musket discharge, how are they or could you post some?
    Same as in the MTW1 - no changes. Because there are numerous gunpowder units you will see a lot of smoke in every battle, I can assure that (unless you play Crimean Tatars and such)

3) Any plans to take this mod to the mid 1700's, so we can see Jacobite uprisings in Scotland and experience the Young Pretender's comeback?

Thanks in advance.
    Unlikely. I have spent a lot of time researching for the mod adding that to considerable knowledge about this period I had before.
    As a side effect I can claim perhaps the most detailed knowledge about several armies in Poland - I am thinking about writing a series of articles to historical magazines (at least it was proposed to me...), the time will tell if I will.

Anyway researching took me some time and money and expanding the scope of is hardly an option. Besides I am not really interested in this period of history (I could change my mind here) and the AI can't really fight well with line infantry (this is where I cannot do much) pike and musket formations suit its taste much more, really.

i have one wuestion when i played the sun kings ambition only a few factions had unique types of line infantry. will all factions have different types of line infantry?

also many units look exactly the same, will that be changed?

Line infantry is at the peak of an army - if some countries developed unique line infantry it is in the game if not I wasn't going to change that - there is too little space.

Second - Pike and Musket has the largest number of animations on the MTW1 engine - you really cannot get too many.

Something new

English Double-armed Men

Yes all those guys are in the same ONE unit

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

What the

How can you do that?? those guys that are idle (since all units do not fire in a rifle armed unit), are the ones that bear pikes?? Woah...

Line infantry is at the peak of an army - if some countries developed unique line infantry it is in the game if not I wasn't going to change that - there is too little space.

Second - Pike and Musket has the largest number of animations on the MTW1 engine - you really cannot get too many.
    thanks for the answer!

how did you do that with the unit?

Belive it or not, but the musketeer part is... a horse for the game code

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
    Belive it or not, but the musketeer part is... a horse for the game code
    What do you mean?
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

I love this mod!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RTR Fan View Post
    What do you mean?

The horse/camel doesn't need to look like one... Even funnier - cavalry doesn't need a horse to be seen as cavalry by the engine...