Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: dIRECTOR's Cut for MOS 1.6.2

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Director's Cut 1.2 for MOS 1.3

Great, thanks for the instructions; intend to have myself a look around on the skins ^^

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by dIRECT0R View Post
    Agh damn it, no - its down. But let me break it down for you: the map-related changes are all in the "world" folder, so just don't overwrite that. The only non-map-related change in the world folder is the modification I made to descr_strat changing boromir's bodyguard to Gondor Infantry. So what you should try is this:
    • Download the +EMM version of this submod.
    • Copy the descr_strat file from the downloaded folder to your desktop.
    • Delete the entire "world" folder from your downloaded folder.
    • Then find Boromir's bodyguard entry in the (downloaded) descr_strat on your desktop.
    • And copy the entire entry to your own descr_strat (which you aren't going to otherwise modify), overwriting the vanilla entry.

To the best of my understanding, the submod should then work for "vanilla" MOS 1.3.

EDIT: Well here are a few screens of the newly-modified Gondor Militia. Still trying to fully perfect them, and I'm not completely sure whether the new shields are a step in the right direction.
    I think your militia units look pretty good. One thing about Gondor units in general and most units in TATW as a whole is, I think the equipment is almost too uniform in appearance. Even amongst the legions of Rome at their peak, units were never uniform, especially in the later Roman Empire. You have many different manufacturers, different cloth, different dyes available, etc, etc. So I think even a splash of color would be good as well, especially for militia type units.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GOLF View Post
    I think your militia units look pretty good. One thing about Gondor units in general and most units in TATW as a whole is, I think the equipment is almost too uniform in appearance. Even amongst the legions of Rome at their peak, units were never uniform, especially in the later Roman Empire. You have many different manufacturers, different cloth, different dyes available, etc, etc. So I think even a splash of color would be good as well, especially for militia type units.
    Yes but I always ask myself: why would Gondor soldiers use any colour as such? Cloth is usually white(ish), leather and wood are brown, metal is grey - and Gondor's colour is black. Metal and leather obviously can't be "dyed" (not with medieval tech), so we're left with cloth: why would any Gondor soldier use dyed cloth, unless it were black?

I did try adding some colour, and frankly, while it didn't look particularly bad, to me it seemed a step in the wrong direction. Have a look at the people of Minas Tirith in the movie: Gondorians were a pretty sombre, militarized bunch.

HI:
    DC.
    It is done?
    Hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by TanZHao View Post
    HI:
    DC.
    It is done?
    Hehe...
    Caught a few pesky bugs and had to cancel both uploads . Plus I'd like to implement a few more changes before finally making an upload (as was not my initial intent). Be patient, folks, it shouldn't be long now.

OK,good, director.
    I wish you the best of luck in everything you do.
    Hehe.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

HI d'
    Can you dubble check that GF haven't removed the file or something? During the weekend I simply presumed the servers were overloaded or something but still do not work

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    HI d'
    Can you dubble check that GF haven't removed the file or something? During the weekend I simply presumed the servers were overloaded or something but still do not work
    Well, the whole thing is now up on speedyshare.com . Version 1.4. My above instructions should still apply, though there is now also a modified map_sicily.tga file, which you might want to copy-over from your downloaded folder as well (its in Third_Age_3\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign). It will change your menu map representing Gondor from blue to white, so its just a detail.

The new changes include:
    • TATW 3.0 menu graphics
    • New modifications for the strategic map (building on MIKE GOLF's Expanded Map), notably a slightly more Lore-faithful fief of Lossarnach
    • Some new graphics and ui icons for Gondor units
    • A few tiny bug fixes for MOS 1.4
    • Lower upgrade levels (2,3,4 rather than 3,4,5) for Gondor elite units, so you can realistically expect to be able to upgrade to "movie armor" in four settlements rather than two
    • fixed Harad villages error present in previous release
    • switched the stats and recruiting of Dol Amroth Dismounted Squires and Dol Amroth Men at Arms (the latter imo ought to really be the less-fancy unit)
    • Boromir now has a proper elite Gondor Infantry bodyguard, rather than Citadel Guards (don't worry, their stats are practically the same as before)

etc etc.. there's more tiny details, like modified pips for Numenorian culture etc.

If anyone's having some trouble with the new download site (or any trouble in general), don't hesitate to report. Please note that the current version is tested and working on a clean installation of MOS 1.4 + Expanded Map + Enhanced Ancillaries by MIKE GOLF. The Enhanced Ancillaries likely don't conflict with this submod, whether you have them installed or not, just sayin' that DC is currently only tested for a version with the Enhanced Ancillaries as well. Besides which, I do generally recommend them for anyone.

I'm currently puzzling over the appearance of the Gondor Militia (really the main and no.1 Gondor unit), and experimenting with various models, so expect updates there in the near future (probably when MOS 1.41 drops in on us). Would appreciate any feedback on that subject as well. Additionally, I'm considering re-introducing the Gondor Cavalry Militia as replacements for the Gondor Scouts.
    Last edited by dIRECT0R; November 13, 2012 at 04:53 PM.

Jabberjaw's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: dIRECTOR's cUT 1.4 for MOS 1.4

Hi Director,

Thanks for your hard work on this - I have been wanting to try this mod out for a while and was finally able to get it via the new download site no problems.

Now to installing. A quick Q:
    Are the installation instructions on page 1 [under: Installation for the "TATW + MOS 1.4 + Expanded Map and Enhanced Ancillaries for MOS" version:] that refer to MOS1.3 the same for MOS1.4? Thanks.

In the 1.41 release whenver that is in the next day or two, I renamed some of the ancillaries so I wouldn't go insane. The only affected ones are the "fiefdoms" for Eriador/Arnor and Gondor. If you winmerge the eda whenver it comes out there should be no problems. Also "fiefdoms have been added for all human factions, and some additional name changes for Harad and Rhun. More names additions will happen in upcoming releases.

The ancillaries are for MOS 1.4 so they should work for this mod as well. Subsequent versions of the Ancillaries release will be labeled the same as the MOS version to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; November 13, 2012 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberjaw View Post
    Hi Director,

Thanks for your hard work on this - I have been wanting to try this mod out for a while and was finally able to get it via the new download site no problems.

Now to installing. A quick Q:
    Are the installation instructions on page 1 [under: Installation for the "TATW + MOS 1.4 + Expanded Map and Enhanced Ancillaries for MOS" version:] that refer to MOS1.3 the same for MOS1.4? Thanks.
    Hah. Forgot to update that, thanks for pointing it out . Yes, the installation is basically the same. You just merge the two Medieval II Total War folders. The snags, if any, usually relate to not having a clean installation of the required submods. Make sure you have a clean installation of TATW 3.2 with MOS 1.4 (meaning no other submods). Then you install the Expanded Map and Enhanced Ancillaries - and then DC. Another possible snag is not running the Cleaner.bat and deleting the map.rwm file, make sure you do both before you run the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GOLF View Post
    In the 1.41 release whenver that is in the next day or two, I renamed some of the ancillaries so I wouldn't go insane. The only affected ones are the "fiefdoms" for Eriador/Arnor and Gondor. If you winmerge the eda whenver it comes out there should be no problems. Also "fiefdoms have been added for all human factions, and some additional name changes for Harad and Rhun. More names additions will happen in upcoming releases.

The ancillaries are for MOS 1.4 so they should work for this mod as well. Subsequent versions of the Ancillaries release will be labeled the same as the MOS version to avoid confusion.
    Ah well, it looks like we'll have a new DC version pretty soon as well. Hopefully 1.42 won't be coming out this weekend

Ah well, it looks like we'll have a new DC version pretty soon as well. Hopefully 1.42 won't be coming out this weekend
    So would it be better to put off installing your v1.4 for now? It's getting a little off-putting (as you have mentioned elsewhere) to micro manage all the updates I am interested in (between TATW [those new versions are rare however], MOS, Expanded Map, Cheat Removal, and now your D-Cut]...

[Or maybe I should just take my own advice and just enjoy playing with what we have now, and let these future versions take care of themselves...]
    Last edited by Jabberjaw; November 16, 2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: fixed quote

The snags, if any, usually relate to not having a clean installation of the required submods. Make sure you have a clean installation of TATW 3.2 with MOS 1.4 (meaning no other submods). Then you install the Expanded Map and Enhanced Ancillaries - and then DC. Another possible snag is not running the Cleaner.bat and deleting the map.rwm file, make sure you do both before you run the game.
    So when you [and others] say "clean install' then does that mean not having the remnants of any other mod? The reason I say this is that I have all other updated mods [MOS 1.4, Expanded map/ancilliaries], BUT also the previous version of the yet to be updated Cheat Removal mod.

Basically I was new to MOS 3 months ago, and followed the links on the main install page to the other 'recommended' mods (namely map/cheat) but am not sure, now that I am interested in your DC mod, how much these installations "intefere" with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberjaw View Post
    So would it be better to put off installing your v1.4 for now? It's getting a little off-putting (as you have mentioned elsewhere) to micro manage all the updates I am interested in (between TATW [those new versions are rare however], MOS, Expanded Map, Cheat Removal, and now your D-Cut]...

[Or maybe I should just take my own advice and just enjoy playing with what we have now, and let the future versions take care of themselves...]
    Its a bit annoying, yes; I didn't know 1.41 would be coming out so soon. Director's Cut 1.41 will probably be released a couple days later, depending on how much work will be necessary. I don't know what to tell ya, best wait a couple days and install 1.41. Hopefully that will be it for at least a couple months.

I have been looking at ALHIMIK's Gondor Armour Upgrades V1.2 submod. I've asked permission to modify some of his stuff. Still searching for the perfect Gondor militia units

So when you [and others] say "clean install' then does that mean not having the remnants of any other mod? The reason I say this is that I have all other updated mods [MOS 1.4, Expanded map/ancilliaries], BUT also the previous version of the yet to be updated Cheat Removal mod.

Basically I was new to MOS 3 months ago, and followed the links on the main install page to the other 'recommended' mods (namely map/cheat) but am not sure, now that I am interested in your DC mod, how much these installations "intefere" with each other.
    What I mean by "clean install" is that there should be no other submods on it (apart from the ones listed as required). If there's remnants of previous submods, I can't be 100% certain you won't see trouble. Its perfectly possible you won't, though.

If you don't want to delete and install again, my best advice would be to just back up the whole "Third_Age_3" folder, install DC, and see if the game works. Then, if there's any problems, delete the newly-modified folder (the one where you just installed DC) and simply rename the backup folder "Third_Age_3". Then you know you have to install anew if you want to play DC. If there's no trouble...
    Last edited by dIRECT0R; November 13, 2012 at 06:35 PM.

I have been looking at ALHIMIK's Gondor Armour Upgrades V1.2 submod. I've asked permission to modify some of his stuff. Still searching for the perfect Gondor militia units
    Well my only real "dislike" of Gondor per se, not having really seen what your mod does to them yet, are those Pelagir unit cards - which are too small/unclear and don't match the feel of the other units [as well as a few of the Isengard ones - such as those archers that look like a black paint splash, and the warg riders that look like wombats].

If you don't want to delete and install again, my best advice would be to just back up the whole "Third_Age_3" folder, install DC, and see if the game works. Then, if there's any problems, delete the newly-modified folder (the one where you just installed DC) and simply rename the backup folder "Third_Age_3". Then you know you have to install anew if you want to play DC. If there's no trouble...
    Ok - I will give this a go now...

mav61's Avatar Civis

Arh knew this would happen i merged the two files..deleted the map.RWM and tried to run the Bat cleaner all that said was can't find the path to certain files..so went ahead and launched it and it started playing TATW 3.2 then crashed i should have stuck to my running copy of mos 1.4 with expanded map and ancillories... me for expanding too much, looks like a nice mod but i think i'll give it a miss

Quote Originally Posted by mav61 View Post
    i merged the two files..deleted the map.RWM and tried to run the Bat cleaner all that said was can't find the path to certain files..
    Sometimes the cleaner says that, since the 'offending' files may already be removed or otherwise dealt with.

Anyway, I downloaded and copy/pasted the decompressed files, then installed as instructed this morning, and everything seems to be working fine for me. Perhaps you should give the install another go...

Quote Originally Posted by mav61 View Post
    Arh knew this would happen i merged the two files..deleted the map.RWM and tried to run the Bat cleaner all that said was can't find the path to certain files..so went ahead and launched it and it started playing TATW 3.2 then crashed i should have stuck to my running copy of mos 1.4 with expanded map and ancillories... me for expanding too much, looks like a nice mod but i think i'll give it a miss
    Heh , yes Cleaner does often say it can't find certain files - that's ok, it basically means they're already "Clean". And no, it didn't start TATW 3.2, I merely restored the vanilla TATW menu graphics as part of this submod, since imo they're just plain better than the MOS variant. In fact, that means you successfully opened the game with the sub mod.

Now, I don't know why it crashed, but if you have a clean install, with no other submods than MOS, Exp. Map and Ancillaries - then it should work fine.
    Last edited by dIRECT0R; November 14, 2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo

mav61's Avatar Civis

Heh , yes Cleaner does often say it can't find certain files - that's ok, it basically means they're already "Clean". And no, it didn't start TATW 3.2, I merely restored the vanilla TATW menu graphics as part of this submod, since imo they're just plain better than the MOS variant. In fact, that means you successfully opened the game with the sub mod.

Now, I don't know why it crashed, but if you have a clean install, with no other submods than MOS, Exp. Map and Ancillaries - then it should work fine.
    Will the mod works up until i go into the battle screen now..when it loads you can briefly see the battlefield then it crashes with unspecified error
    Last edited by mav61; November 14, 2012 at 07:00 AM.