Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: DA3 Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Chlοė View Post
    Ah the journal entries and monsters and stuff? The DAO codex/journal UI was so much better than its counterpart in DA II...
    You can't even remotely compare those to eachother my genuine opinion..
    The DAO is so superior that it's ridiculous. Woe that they would change so much to the worse.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

From what I understand the Codex/UI stuff in Origins was designed separately for PC and consoles, while in DA II it was identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    I think it's retarded how the characted doesn't actually say what's on the dialog wheel. In ME sometimes what the character says is very divergent to what the text in the wheel said.
    This.

I also hope to God that we don't see anymore of that voiced dialogue **** in the game, especially since it now has 6 origins for you character and they will probably only hire one voice actor for each gender. It's very immersion breaking (and pants on retarded) to hear a commoner talk like a nobleman or a mage talk like a warrior.

Seriously voiced dialogue barely worked in ME, in DA II it was just bad.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; June 21, 2013 at 03:30 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Comes Domesticorum

It worked fine in ME, don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe you like not knowing what your character is really going to say next, the corny lines, the numerous instances where the dialogue options and the result are completely disproportionate, having your mentally scarred war vet/former Earth gang-banger/"Han Solo" like spacer war vet all sound like an American Rugby (aka Handegg) player, etc. I for one don't.
    Why I said it barely worked in ME is because your options were very limited in therms as to whom and what your character is. And this is why it has no place in a game like DA where theoretically you should be able to play as anything, from a mad sorcerer to a paladin to a roguish thief to a crusty mercenary only looking for a quick buck. Look at what happened to DA 2 when they introduced it by force. It went from "be almost anyone you want to be" to "yeah you only get to play as one guy, and what class or gender you choose are meaningless". Hearing a Warrior who wields a sword the size of a small tree and decapitates things for a living talk with the same calm British accent as a Mage is the epitome of immersion breaking.
    Maybe for you it's OK that voiced dialogue cause the sequel to one of deepest RPGs to come out after NWN 2 to offer less character choices than Mass Effect 1 (which while being a fantastically good game, isn't a full-blown rpg). For me it isn't.

Imho the only game the really did the whole "voiced dialogue wheel" thing properly is Alpha Protocol, and that's because it was designed around that feature from the start. The Dragon Age series on the other hand was not (neither was ME), and it shows.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; June 22, 2013 at 07:01 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Comes Domesticorum

I disagree about the dialog wheel or fully-voiced characters being bad for Mass Effect, but yeah, it was poorly implemented in DAII. The problem could simply be resolved by having a few more voice actors to voice the main character and have you choose which one you prefer, but I don't know if we should realistically expect that to happen. The other option of course is to have the dialog wheel reflect what it is you're actually going to say.

Shneckie's Avatar Vicarius

With the amount of effort they put into voice acting for SWTOR, a multiplayer game, surely we can expect the same for a single player? Or is that just wishful thinking. The variation in voices for the classes in SWTOR was staggering and each one suited their class well (though the Jedi voices sucked ass imo). If they made a single player RPG; Dragon Age, Mass Effect, KOTOR or whatever, with that kind of variation in classes with unique voices, I would gladly pay double the price for that game.

Comes Domesticorum

They wouldn't sell any RPG video game on PC for so much, but yeah, I would like to see many voice actors.

Though the idea that certain voices go with certain classes is just another part of the fantasy world which is stupid.

ith that kind of variation in classes with unique voices, I would gladly pay double the price for that game.
    I wouldnt. lets say the price for PC is 55 euros, i would most certainly not pay 110 euros for a video game good god. To only have more voice over cinematic. If i want to wacth a film i do it, and its cheaper.
    Besides Voice acting isnt that expensive in comparison to the rest of game developing.

Shneckie's Avatar Vicarius

It was only a figure of speech to try convey how much I'd appreciate that kind of effort in a game but I guess it was poorly executed.

Though the idea that certain voices go with certain classes is just another part of the fantasy world which is stupid.
    It worked well in SWTOR I thought. But I guess that's because Sith and the like are stereotyped within that franchise whereas with mages, warriors ect in DA, they're open to comparison with a wide range of source materials.

Maybe a typical selection from confident, sultry, wise ect type voices would be good but I can't see Bioware putting that kind of effort in.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Shneckie View Post
    It was only a figure of speech to try convey how much I'd appreciate that kind of effort in a game but I guess it was poorly executed.

It worked well in SWTOR I thought. But I guess that's because Sith and the like are stereotyped within that franchise whereas with mages, warriors ect in DA, they're open to comparison with a wide range of source materials.

Maybe a typical selection from confident, sultry, wise ect type voices would be good but I can't see Bioware putting that kind of effort in.
    Indeed, the Dragon Age world is much less about conforming to stereotypes than the Star Wars world is, which is why classes shouldn't have their own voice. I honestly don't mind if every class has the same voice, so long as it's actually a good voice actor with good lines.

AKA, Garrus.

SorelusImperion's Avatar Vicarius

Quite a few things together suggest that the Chantry Version is not entirely correct. One important thing to notice is that in the DAO epansion the "Mother" talks of a beautifull song/sound/music which incidentally is exactly what Andraste the "wife of the maker" produced. Andraste is supposed to have swayed the Maker through a beautifull song and the Chantry revolves around this song. It can't be an accident that both the Chantry and the Darkspawn both are influenced or even driven by a supposedly beautifull song. There are also hints that Andraste herself may have been a Mage and it's entirely possible that her body may have been possessed by a Tevinter Magister who returned from the black city. It is also likely that there is some sort of connection between Flemeth and both Andraste and the Darkspawn.
    Last edited by SorelusImperion; June 23, 2013 at 06:38 AM.
    Frederick II of Prussia: "All Religions are equal and good, if only the people that practice them are honest people; and if Turks and heathens came and wanted to live here in this country, we would build them mosques and churches."
    Norge: "Give me a break. Nothing would make you happier than to see the eagle replaced with a crescent."

Ummon:"enforcing international law will require that the enforcers do not respect it"
    Olmstead v USA:"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of the criminal law the end justifies the means-to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal-would bring terrible retribution. Against that pernicious doctrine this court should resolutely set its face."

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who can't defend themselfs.
    When you stand before god you can not say "I was told by others to do this" or that virtue was not convenient at the time

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Flemeth is Andraste

SorelusImperion's Avatar Vicarius

Certainly possible in the sense that whatever Spirit inhabited Andrastes body now occupies the body of the witch we know as Flemeth.
    Frederick II of Prussia: "All Religions are equal and good, if only the people that practice them are honest people; and if Turks and heathens came and wanted to live here in this country, we would build them mosques and churches."
    Norge: "Give me a break. Nothing would make you happier than to see the eagle replaced with a crescent."

Ummon:"enforcing international law will require that the enforcers do not respect it"
    Olmstead v USA:"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of the criminal law the end justifies the means-to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal-would bring terrible retribution. Against that pernicious doctrine this court should resolutely set its face."

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who can't defend themselfs.
    When you stand before god you can not say "I was told by others to do this" or that virtue was not convenient at the time

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    They wouldn't sell any RPG video game on PC for so much, but yeah, I would like to see many voice actors.

Well considering a VA can do multiple roles (often) this should not be such a big deal.
    There are more important matters me thinks.
    Last edited by Cyrus the Virus; June 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Flemeth is Andraste
    I used to think so myself, but it seems to convenient. And if she's Andraste, then whose ashes were those up in the temple, and why is she a dragon? Didn't the Maker hate dragons?

I really hope they answer these questions in Inquisition (thankfully that Walters cat won't be touching this story). And wouldn't it be cool if Sandal turned out to be the Maker in disguise, and he kidnapped the Warden and Hawke to protect them from Flemeth?

Comes Domesticorum

Man, I really need to play some of this Dragon Age DLC, I don't know at all what you guys are talking about.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

If Sandal turned out to be the Maker I would be furious...

Comes Domesticorum

Enchantments?

Well, he can permanently freeze a charging ogre and clear a room full of alphas and emissaries without taking a single point of damage.

And then there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzZNDU-Br8w

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Enchantments?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Well, he can permanently freeze a charging ogre and clear a room full of alphas and emissaries without taking a single point of damage.

And then there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzZNDU-Br8w
    Enchantment!