Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Default Dragon Age: Inquisition

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/17/a...i-inquisition/

Thoughts? I'm pretty excited to see what DA3 will look like in the new engine.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; November 22, 2014 at 03:30 PM.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: DA3 Announced

Excellent News!!

I hope they move a lot closer to DA:O, sprinkle the good parts of DA2 on top and add some even better things, too. But given that Bioware is hardly what it used to be, I'll stay neutral until they show some actual stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachus View Post
    http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/17/a...i-inquisition/

Thoughts? I'm pretty excited to see what DA3 will look like in the new engine.
    I've been a loyal fan of Bioware since I first sat down with Baldur's Gate Series (still my favourite game(s) of all time), but after the failures of DA2 and the catastrophe (both gameplay and PR) of Bioware that came with ME3, I can't say that I'm keeping my hopes up for DA3 - no matter what engine they put it on.

Plus in general I really hate how they completely turned away from the Grey Warden storyline to Nutellaface (Hawke, who was about as interesting a character as a brick) and completely disregarded the GW despite leaving his story as a cliffhanger. And they did the same with Hawke.

Would not surprise me if we start anew again in DA3 with some third random dude.

As far as I recall, they always said that the series was more about the story of Thedas (during the Dragon Age), and not about one or a few characters, so it's not surprising that they "dump" the main characters between games. It takes getting used to, but I can see their reasoning and I don't really mind it. They should give the previous characters some more importance and presence, though, rather than have them disappear beyond a mere mentioning.

On another matter: Does EA have to slap the Frostbite 2 engine on every single game they're developing now? God, I hope they're not trusting the engine alone to provide a lot of the pull factors for the game.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; September 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    As far as I recall, they always said that the series was more about the story of Thedas (during the Dragon Age)
    , and not about one or a few characters
    Source please

so it's not surprising that they "dump" the main characters between games. It takes getting used to, but I can see their reasoning and I don't really mind it. They should give the previous characters some more importance and presence, though, rather than have them disappear beyond a mere mentioning.
    And that is why their "trilogy" will suck. There's a reason they kept the story coherent with one character in the Baldur's Gate games, the same reason that Luke Skywalker was the main focus of Episodes IV-VI of StarWars. And considering the Warden was a blank slate for them to write anything about (they could've gone anywhere with him after DA:O considering it ended as a cliffhanger) there was no reason to start with Nutella Hawke.

And frankly I hate it when a storyteller gives me the choice of being one person, then rips that away from me and shoehorns me into playing something else wether I want it or not - that's killing the immersion for me, especially if "my" character only gets mentioned in passing. That's when I go like "but but but...that's me....come on /rollseyes"

I hope they move a lot closer to DA:O, sprinkle the good parts of DA2 on top and add some even better things, too. But given that Bioware is hardly what it used to be, I'll stay neutral until they show some actual stuff.
    Keep the gameplay and overall feel of DA:O, and the fully voiced character of DA2. They tried to make it to much like ME with DA2 and it didn't work. If I was responsible for advertising this game my add would be "It's like the first game, we promise!"

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Am I the only one who thinks the name is a terrible cliche?

Inquisition? lolwut
    Last edited by Beregond; September 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM.

It could be one, but how can you be sure it will be a cliché?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruthiel View Post
    Source please
    No source, sorry. I have no idea when or where on the Bioware sites I picked that up, but I'm pretty sure I did read it there at some point.
    I'll take away that "always" of mine, if that sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the name is a terrible cliche?

Inquisition? lolwut
    Yeah, Nobody expects it, but the Church Chantry will go bonkers on everyone who disagrees with them. Especially mages.

Lol@Anders.

It could be one, but how can you be sure it will be a cliché?

No source, sorry. I have no idea when or where on the Bioware sites I picked that up, but I'm pretty sure I did read it there at some point.
    I'll take away that "always" of mine, if that sounds better.
    Was just curious, mate

At least it has a subtitle this time. You could tell that DA2 was going to be a cheap grab for money just because it was called Dragon Age 2.

If you rep me leave your name and I'll rep you back!

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by Cooraan View Post
    Keep the gameplay and overall feel of DA:O, and the fully voiced character of DA2. They tried to make it to much like ME with DA2 and it didn't work. If I was responsible for advertising this game my add would be "It's like the first game, we promise!"
    Hell no, keep the main character mute.
    The more open they leave the main character, the better he is and that includes the voice.
    Besides, I haven't seen a single game where the main character is voiced and what he says actually matches the choice you picked. Not a single one. Not even Witcher 2.
    The nice about DA:O and other RPGs like it was that your character did say what it was written. He/she said it because you were the one doing the voice for it.

Anyway, Bioware can forget about any hype for this game, even if it uses frostbyte 2 it still got a high chance of sucking considering Bioware's record lately.

I hope they get their together with this one..

I will most likely buy this, despite the fact that DA2 and the ME3 ending kinda just bummed me out. The setting in Orlais so it should be interesting but I wonder how big the world will be

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

I just want Duncan back. Damn it i should have been down there with him and the King. Not in the damned tower. We lit the beacon but it was for nothing. i think Alistair feels the same and we talked about it at camp just outside Denerim, but it still hurts.

Yes, because being dead and leaving Ferelden to civil war and the darkspawn would have been such a good idea...
    Anyway, it probably won't matter in DA:I, just like whatever Hawke did. Apart from the templar-mage war, but that one was obviously forced without alternatives.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

This "Inquisitor" thing is something introduce by Comics or books isn't it ?
    Given their last games I doubt Bioware will be able to make anything good from this templar-mage war in term of story. I'm curious about this new engine. The artistic direction of DA2 was terrible.
    They have announced their intention to do a mix of the good parts of both DA and DA2 but so far all what have been announced about came in the direct continuation of DA2.
    I guess they didn't understood their failure and will go for a Dragon Age 2.5.

About important character disappearing between episode that is what happen when you make a trilogy or any saga without final goal.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

I hope they move back towards DA:O. It had better storytelling, much more choice and far better combat. Whilst having a voiced character was nice, the vastly improved amount of choice my Origins character got beats Hawke hands down. Unfortunately, since this is EA and it'll have the "Origin" (i.e. the malware, not the first game) requirement there's unfortunately nothing Bioware can do to redeem themselves.

Even if the game miraculously lacked an Origin requirement, I'd certainly not be purchasing this on launch. Both of the stories in the last two Bioware games have been awful. Especially any semblance of choice. ME3 was bad in this regard, and not just the ending; but DA2 was in a whole different league. It was a giant railroad with a mountain of plotholes.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

It's going to be terrible.

Comes Domesticorum

Woo, can't wait. Liked DAO, liked DA2 even more, this should be good!

Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast